Stampeders 14 - Lions 7 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Its not exactly a new thing as both Buono and Hufnagel are ex-CFLers.

I heard via the media (WHILE HE WAS STILL PLAYING) Miles was an awesome mentor/coach-like player. In the CFL we've had some amazing teams that had a head coach over the years that was an ex-player (Buono Huffy, etc...). Now just because Miles played defence doesn't make him a poor head coach choice, IMO.

I guess in the entertainment business a fast and exciting offence is what many would want and I'd admit it would probably sell more tickets. But, I'd rather win games 7-5 than lose them 45-44. Over Buono's tenure I think our defence was more than good enough to win more playoff games but the years we did well (Grey Cup wins), our offence was clicking too.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The early indication from Mike Benevides after watching game film is that Ernest Jackson will be called upon to replace fellow international receiver Bryan Burnhan on the roster next week and international RB/KR Tim Brown will likely replace national RB Andrew Harris. That means another international starter will have to sit out to balance the ratio.

Benevides also hinted Sunday that the the Lions' sputtering offence in Calgary after Burnham was hurt was due to the inadequacy of their four national receivers, who were largely ignored in the second half as Glenn threw mainly to Andrew Harris and Rolly Lumbala.
The coach indicated that the return of receiver Ernest Jackson (a healthy scratch since Aug. 24) also is in the offing “to give Kevin (quarterback Glenn) more firepower, so that Manny (Arceneaux) is not out there by himself.”
Mike Beamish article
With Glenn averaging just one touchdown pass in each of his last six starts, the offence could use a receiver like Ernest Jackson, who has been in roster limbo.

Harris would be replaced by Tim Brown if healthy, but practice roster rookie Keola Antolin could make his way on to the game roster.

Either way, a Canadian will have to fit somewhere with Harris out, or a non-import must return to the offensive line where continuity has been elusive all year.

“We’ve got to give Kevin some firepower,” said Benevides, suggesting the chronic lack of receiving offence must be solved first.
Lowell Ullrich article
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

For all those who hope that the Lions can pry Dickenson away from Calgary with the offer of a HC job might as well stop day dreaming. Dickenson's wife and her family are from Calgary, he has a better team and coaching staff in Calgary as well so he is staying put.
Blitz
Team Captain

It's looking like Harris is gone for the season with a dislocated ankle but we won't know for sure until the MRI is done this week.

Harris represented over 25% of our offence, so far this season. Our Leos could go with Logan at tailback, insert Brown back on the roster to return punts and kicks and also serve as a rotational back....or they could activate Antolin...but I'm not anticipating that, based on Benevedes comment in the Vancouver Sun
“We’ll have to take a look at that, but I wouldn’t jump on the Keola bandwagon just yet"

Benevedes, who after the Calgary loss, basically responded with the our players 'have got to make plays', which is the recurrent theme.

Benevedes will also likely activate Ernest Jackson to replace Bryan Burnham's spot on the roster. Burnham is out with an injured spleen. According to the Vancouver Sun
The coach indicated that the return of receiver Ernest Jackson (a healthy scratch since Aug. 24) also is in the offing “to give Kevin (quarterback Glenn) more firepower, so that Manny (Arceneaux) is not out there by himself.
In the Province, Benevedes said
We’ve got to give Kevin some firepower,” said Benevides, suggesting the chronic lack of receiving offence must be solved first.
That was not a ringing endorsement of his Canadian receivers nor a wise comment to make publically.

Certainly we need to get some offence, some way, some how. The Calgary game was the fourth time this season that our defence has held the opposition without a touchdown and we lost two of those games and barely beat Ottawa in the third one.

Ullrich stated our offensive problems best when he wrote about the challenges Glenn has, in terms of the opposition pass rush and the weapons he has or are lacking with this quote below:
It’s what will keep happening if quarterback Kevin Glenn doesn’t deliver passes at warp speed after the snap because he has little time to throw, or someone doesn’t emerge as a receiving alternative to Emmanuel Arceneaux.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

According to Lowell Ullrich, Travis Lulay will soon announce that he will not undergo another surgery and instead choose to rehab the shoulder.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

From Lowell Ullirich ...
“Seeing Andrew when he went down, I think everybody’s heart kinda sunk,” the middle linebacker said.

“But this is football. Guys got to step up individually. You can’t cry over spilled milk.”
The players know how much Andrew brings to the team. He is running into walls of tacklers each time he carries the ball. Gang tackling. He has been as durable as a Tonka Toy, but there are limits.
It’s what will keep happening if quarterback Kevin Glenn doesn’t deliver passes at warp speed after the snap because he has little time to throw, or someone doesn’t emerge as a receiving alternative to Emmanuel Arceneaux.
Glenn has a millisecond to read the play and then deliver the ball.
Finding positives was tough because good things Saturday didn’t last long. B.C. executed its first offensive possession brilliantly, ending a 77-yard march with a touchdown, but couldn’t run or pass effectively thereafter when the Stamps largely elected to rush only three defenders.
And, sad to say, the Stampeders still got pressure on Glenn, even with just 3 pass rushers.
B.C. also got nothing in the way of return yardage on special teams, a consistent theme for a month now, and Stefan Logan unwisely ran a field goal miss out of the end zone, creating field position that eventually led B.C. to concede a safety.
ST woes. Another familiar theme.
“We’ve got to give Kevin some firepower,” said Benevides, suggesting the chronic lack of receiving offence must be solved first.
Sure. Blame the players. Even though we don't throw to Poblah or iannuzzi. I guess Glenn does not feel he has time to read the wideouts. And I guess Glenn does not feel confident in making those throws.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 45m

The #BCLions will have an American defensive back in town today. Import receivers and running backs to arrive soon as well.
Happy to see some bodies arriving for RB and REC depth. I wouldn't expect much right away though. It will take newcomers some time to learn the system (or not :wink:), but at least we could have some guys come in to compete NOW that they were penciling in for next training camp.

I still would like to see Tomasiuk start in place of Poblah as I think his speed could get him some separation (whether Glenn has time to find him is another story) and Jackson in for Burnham. For the interim, I would like to see Antolin added to the roster to hopefully give the offense a spark; some hope (not sure of his blocking skills?), and Tim Brown back returning kicks. I am a big fan of Stef Logan, but I would characterize his play lately as merely "adequate" - both as a running back and returner, and we need more.

If we have to sacrifice an international on defense (i.e. Keynan Parker to boundary corner) to provide us offensive help, so be it. We're just not going anywhere with that offensive line-up, now minus Harris and Burnham. I recognize that it's not easy to constantly change O-linemen and expect great results, but I would characterize the 3 import experiment as "middling." Not bad but not great. I'll be very happy when Steward returns (Steward, Hardrick, Norman, Valli, Olafioye).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:For all those who hope that the Lions can pry Dickenson away from Calgary with the offer of a HC job might as well stop day dreaming. Dickenson's wife and her family are from Calgary, he has a better team and coaching staff in Calgary as well so he is staying put.
And as I recall, he had those same ties when he was QB'ing for us. People do all sorts of things to advance their careers including going to work in another town. Vancouver is only a 1 hour flight. Frankly, I would be more concerned about the competition with Calgary for the head coaching job than the family ties. If for some reason, it looked like it might be years before DD were to get that job, that would change the landscape on the issue entirely. Since none of us know what the HC plans are in Calgary and/or how motivated DD may be to get a HC job, anything is possible.
While you are more than likely correct, unless you have a direct line to DD, you probably shouldn't be speaking in absolutes. As Rammer pointed out earlier, there was a point in time where it would have been unthinkable that we would get Wally Buono. We're all realists and if a betting man, the odds might be long but occasionally long shots do come in. And since when is it ever a good thing to tell people to give up on their hopes?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re Dickenson ...

He once expressed the opinion that he was not interested in coaching. And yet, there he is.

He has a condominium in White Rock, presently rented out to Kevin Glenn I believe.

John Hufnagel is 63. He might wish to retain the HC job for a while yet.

I would not discount Dave D as HC for the Lions at some time.

However, Wally Buono is the GM here. He sometimes makes changes at a glacial pace. He has extreme loyalty to some of his subordinates, such as Dorazio, McMann and Benevides. He has extreme patience in trying to let things work out. He seems to dislike change.

We might have to wait for Benevides' contract to run its course. Oh my ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I agree SP, unless Hufnagel plans to transition to DD soon in CGY, an offer from BC would hard for Dickenson to pass up...he still has his condo here and as you say CGY is a short flight away. The key for ANYONE considering the Lion's HC position should it come available, is the FREEDOM to pick their own staff from scratch...

Blitz, I agree, MBs comments, and not just about our National receivers, were very unwise. He really just shoots his mouth off without thinking...

Brutal to here about Andrew's ankle, but thanks for reporting...there is no way he could be back this season if it is dislocated...they would have to wait almost 2 weeks for the inflammation and pain to subside before they could even begin rehabbing it. The good news, is that there should't be any permanent damage, if they let it heal properly...as Joe said, Harris is such a warrior...a great football player!

As for everyone's comments about our OLine, remember, it was Wally who said this offseason that we didn't need any major changes to our OLine, just some more CDN depth...that has to mean that either Wally doesn't know a thing about OLine talent, or our players can't execute with the coaching and schemes they are being given...you can't have it both ways...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:For all those who hope that the Lions can pry Dickenson away from Calgary with the offer of a HC job might as well stop day dreaming. Dickenson's wife and her family are from Calgary, he has a better team and coaching staff in Calgary as well so he is staying put.
I tend to agree but football coaches move when a promotion comes along. Dickenson has lived here before and he didn't sell his White Rock condo when he moved to Calgary. He has rented it out to various Lions in recent years. His current tenant is Kevin Glenn. Is he holding that property as a simple investment or does he think he might move back some day?
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
I tend to agree but football coaches move when a promotion comes along. Dickenson has lived here before and he didn't sell his White Rock condo when he moved to Calgary. He has rented it out to various Lions in recent years. His current tenant is Kevin Glenn. Is he holding that property as a simple investment or does he think he might move back some day?
I would be happy with a Dickenson return to BC, he could send Glenn packing as well.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:Jcalhoun ,To your question regarding Beck , that guy couldn't even complete a pass to a wide open receiver 10 yards in front of him with out hitting the ground 5 yards up field.
I get the impression his arm is just flat-out shot.
ballhawk
Legend

Wow, I can't believe Coach Benevides made those comments about his other receivers, namely the Canadian receivers. Basically he is saying that they are useless or hopeless. The truth of the matter is that these receivers have had very little chance to participate as the ball is not thrown their way, and worse yet, are ignored (not even looked for) on passing plays. They are not part of scheme or game plan (Gore has had the most opportunties although few, Iannuzzi an occasional look, Publah virtually no looks and throws, and Haidera, Adekolu and Tomusiak are basically sideline observers, untested.

Yes, Gore dropped a couple of short balls (as all good receivers do from time to time), but I can't say these were crucial drops; they were not game changers. The way the Lions were playing, my guess is that had he caught those balls, the Lions would likely have punted on the next series, 10 yards further up the field.

In the Calgary game, it was interesting how often the QB threw to his wide-outs Price and West. Many long balls as well. Bagg, the leading receiver in Saskatchewan is both a Canadian and a wide side wide-out.

I have observed at many of the games I attended wide open national Lions receivers who were simply ignored. In the first Winnipeg game, Iannuzzi was wide, wide open in the end zone but Glenn decided to play to a covered Arceneaux deep in the end zone. Glenn locks on one or two receivers, namely Arceneaux and Taylor/Burnham, and the others are not part of the play. It is like the Lions only throw to those two slot positions; therefore they will probably put Jackson in the Taylor/Burnham position, not his regular short side wide-out position, because they throw almost always to these two slot positions.

In Calgary, relatives at the game mentioned to me that other Lion receivers were open but not thrown to.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

ballhawk wrote:Wow, I can't believe Coach Benevides made those comments about his other receivers, namely the Canadian receivers. Basically he is saying that they are useless or hopeless. The truth of the matter is that these receivers have had very little chance to participate as the ball is not thrown their way, and worse yet, are ignored (not even looked for) on passing plays. They are not part of scheme or game plan (Gore has had the most opportunties although few, Iannuzzi an occasional look, Publah virtually no looks and throws, and Haidera, Adekolu and Tomusiak are basically sideline observers, untested.

Yes, Gore dropped a couple of short balls (as all good receivers do from time to time), but I can't say these were crucial drops; they were not game changers. The way the Lions were playing, my guess is that had he caught those balls, the Lions would likely have punted on the next series, 10 yards further up the field.

In the Calgary game, it was interesting how often the QB threw to his wide-outs Price and West. Many long balls as well. Bagg, the leading receiver in Saskatchewan is both a Canadian and a wide side wide-out.

I have observed at many of the games I attended wide open national Lions receivers who were simply ignored. In the first Winnipeg game, Iannuzzi was wide, wide open in the end zone but Glenn decided to play to a covered Arceneaux deep in the end zone. Glenn locks on one or two receivers, namely Arceneaux and Taylor/Burnham, and the others are not part of the play. It is like the Lions only throw to those two slot positions; therefore they will probably put Jackson in the Taylor/Burnham position, not his regular short side wide-out position, because they throw almost always to these two slot positions.

In Calgary, relatives at the game mentioned to me that other Lion receivers were open but not thrown to.
Great observations, ballhawk. Thanks. I'd be tempted to put Jackson back at the short-side wide receiver spot and move Poblah or Iannuzzi into the slot. Iannuzzi played there after Burnham was injured. Poblah is a bigger target.