Stampeders 14 - Lions 7 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

pennw
Legend

I was thinking Dave Dickinson too , but maybe there is a succession plan for him with the Stamps already . But is Hufnagel already about to step back from coaching ? He seems to be right in his prime as a HC so maybe it will still be too many years for Dickinson to wait ,although Dave does have his roots down in Calgary .
Maybe a guy like Baron Miles is ready and able to take that next step . I can't help but think Chap actually would have made a better HC then Benny , who is really an extension of WB , a puppet coach , something I don't think Chap would have been . And maybe that's the reason Wally picked Benny instead .
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:I agree with Hambone , much easier to go on TV and commentate on a few plays than it is to run a CFL offense from the sidelines and make it look as good as your talking about it. Lapo did not have that great a record as a coach , which is why he got let go . I think any former OC that went on TV talking offense would sound pretty good to us armchair guys .
I too (or three) agree with Hambone. I don't understand the fixation with LaPolice. Perhaps he's the only recognizable name available.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

First we had a quarterback who consistently overthrows his receivers (Jarius Jackson), now we have a quarterback who underthrows his receiver. (Beck) :bang:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I suspect what you said TLK. He is on TSN, you see him, remember him from his coaching days and he seems like he might be a good type for coach but I do like the Barron Miles suggestion. He was a smart player, a mentor type and so on. There are probably lots in that vein. Ex players, who had that kind of coaching role as active players might be a good places to glean. It could go completely backwards as well. Depends on the person.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:First we had a quarterback who consistently overthrows his receivers (Jarius Jackson), now we have a quarterback who underthrows his receiver. (Beck) :bang:
Yeah, we need a QB who Goldi-locks onto receivers.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blitz
Team Captain

Wally is not going to make any changes, if he does at all, until season end. In the meantime, right now, he is probably hoping that we can quality for a playoff spot, likely the crossover spot, and then do something in the playoffs to redeem this season - and therefore do nothing or little.

I have no doubt that the players have tuned Benevedes out...at least to the degree they can. You can see that in their faces during his pre-game speeches and how the respond to him on the sideline. You could see, in last nights game, when Benevedes was giving Eric Taylor the big hug on the sideline, that Davis didn't like it. Players know the difference between a poser and the real thing and the players know how Benevedes got his job. Benevedes only power comes from his relationship with Wally.

The two biggest problems right now with our Leos are offence and special teams. While we may prefer a more aggressive style on defense, improved blitzing when we do blitz, and better run defense (an area that has slid, in part due to our pass defense first philosophy) the fact is that our defense has given up the second least points in the CFL (Calgary has given up the least) its still a very good defense.

Our offence has scored the least amount of points in the West this season. The problems are multiple. It begins with our inability to block well. Even going with 3 International offensive lineman, as we did last night, is not enough to get it done. Calgary got way too much pressure on Glenn, with a 3 man pass rush most of the game. Our run blocking is very inconsistent and often its the talent of an Andrew Harris, rather than big holes to run to, that makes our run game successful, when it is.

So, its a challenge to deal with for Khari Jones or our quarterbacks. But our scheme and play calling make the problem even worse. Jones has made some adjustments, using more power formations on first down, as Chap did in the past, using Lumbala and an extra lineman more often. He has even started to use Lumbala as a single tailback on certain passing downs. Jones has also cut down on the six receiver, empty backfield set and was planning to almost move away from the twin tailback (Harris and Logan) set.

But there are huge problems in the passing attack that is more than just pass blocking. We are way too slotback/Harris oriented and defenses know this. We don't throw to our outside receivers nor are Gore or Iannuzzi getting it done either. But we also do stupid things, like line up Logan as a wide receiver. We rarely if ever use Logan on a swing pass or screen pass or hitch pass..and getting the football to him in space is the best way to use him.

Our play calling is all over the place it seems and few plays set up other plays. I believed it was a mistake to get rid of Chap last year. Chap was coming off a Grey Cup winning offence in 2011, a CFL best offfence in 2012, and last season was a challenge for him, not only because Dorazio couldn't open up holes for the running attack for most of the season but also because Lulay was not himself due to his arm injury, DeMarco had no experience. Buck had to be integrated into the offence late in the season etc. I was no fan of Chap from 2005-2010 but he changed the offence in 2011 and I liked his new scheme. On occasion he had a less than stellar game from a play calling perspective but he was not what ailed us. We should not have replaced him, going into a Grey Cup hosting season unless we KNEW we had someone better to come into the position (and LaPolice has been given a very, very elevated status on this website by some and I have no idea why, other than he is likeable)

The hiring of Joe Paopao, which was bandied about as if the Throwin' Samoan of old, was going to bring a lot to the table, surprised me. I did not believe that he was going to be a big asset at all. The hiring of Khari Jones also did not impress me. His offence in Hamilton had been unimaginative and was a throwback to Chap's old offence of 2005-2010 and much more predictable.

There is one person on our offensive coaching staff who I believe has the potential to step into the role of offensive coordinator in the future and that's Kelly Bates. His work with our offensive line, when he co-coached the offensive line with Dorazio, resulted in positive change. He's done a good job with our running backs. He has done a great job with the CFL draft. He's smart. However play calling is an art and putting together an effective offensive scheme is not an easy thing to do, with no experience.

But our dismal offence this season falls on Benevedes and Wally. Wally publically humiliated Stubler and Chapdelaine last season. Stubler's defence may not have shut down Durrant in the playoff game, missing Eliminian but Stubler had lead a high performing defense last season and a record setting one in 2012. He deserved better. Chap was called out by Wally and let go by Wally and Benevedes, mainly because of our ineffectual running game last season, while Dorazio was completely let off the hook.

Benevedes wanted his own 'boys'. Washington has worked out, even though there was no need to get rid of Stubler and Jones is proving, at least so far, that he is not even close to being in Chap's league. So, as far as I'm concerned Benevedes and Wally own this mediocre offence this season.

With Harris out and Burnham, who looked very promising out too, things only get tougher. But Calgary won without its best receiver. We still have Logan, who rushed for 145 yards against Toronto, a top performance, and we do have a import running back on the practice roster who is talented. However the injury to Harris is not only costly due to his loss but it also impacts the ratio.

Its been a very tough season to watch our Lions play football. With a very sound defense, some excellent off-season additions and signings (Ronnie Yell, Josh Johnson, Jamal Johnson, Khalif Mitchell, Alex Bazzie, T.J.Lee, Ricky Schmitt, Torri Williams, Bryan Burnham, Jemarcus Hardrick, David Menard, Stephen Adekolu, Rob Lohr, Bo Lobombo (recently) and Hunter Steward) that brought a lot of good talent or depth onto the team, and with the extra incentive of playing at home in a Grey Cup game, much more was anticipated. It has turned out to be so very disappointing so far.

The football gods are old Testamenent style gods. They punish, rather than ignore stupidity or mediocrity. They make things go from bad to worse. They will kick you when you are down. They will take any luck away. They figure you deserve it because you need to learn some important lessons. How much kicking they do is going to depend on whether our Leos coaches are willing to learn those lessons.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:Jcalhoun ,To your question regarding Beck , that guy couldn't even complete a pass to a wide open receiver 10 yards in front of him with out hitting the ground 5 yards up field . I don't even know why he's on the roster as he does seem to be able to throw for more than 5 yards in a game . Partridge should be moved to the # 2 spot and a new guy brought in for the # 3 .
It was Beck's mittens that caused that errant pass.

Imagine if how he'd be if he had to play in Calgary in ice and snow!!! That was insane him coming in with his gloves on!!!

As to Wally's religious ways - it has no bearing on his success or failures. He won more games than the less than religious Don Matthews.
Yes, there have been some suggestions in years past of religion by WB overall it is really not a factor.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
ziggy
Legend

I think the lack of a QB has been the root of our decline. Coaching hasn't been great but I firmly believe if we had a healthy Lulay or Mike Reilly we would have won at least two more games!
Kevin Glenn is a career backup for a reason and that career is fading rapidly! At times it looks like a scene from the exorcist when his first read isn't there and he panics looking for a second,third, fourth. Nothing there hit the ground or just toss the ball and hope for the best.
IMHO we need to upgrade our coaching but in all honesty Knute Rockne or Tom Landry couldn't make this team win! Its the CFL no quarterback no chance! Maybe Divine Intervention is what Wally needs!
swervynmerv
Legend

Great post Blitz. Many valid points.

Some may call me crazy and I will look back on this post in late November, but inspite of a mostly miserable season, I have a feeling the Lions may be playing in the Grey Cup at home as the east representative. Infact, last nights game may have been a GC preview.

With last nights loss, barring a huge collapse by the Eskimos, the Lions are most likely destined for 4th place. Depending how the Riders finish, 3rd is a possibility, but I think the green machine will eke out one or two more in their final 5 to hold on to third.

That means the Lions would head east and have to beat out either Montreal, Toronto or Hamilton to get to the Grey Cup. If the Lions win 2 of their last five, they will be no worse than 9-9 and ironically may have the best record in the East playoffs! They say you are what you record is, so despite their issues, the Lions could be the favorite to come out of the a East.

It was mentioned on the post game show by someone(Farhan or Guilio) that they thought Travis was going to forgo surgery and try to play again this year. Hopefully by then a healthy Harris and O line could have us strong going in.

As a fan, if his happened I of course would be happy, the problem is Blitz's point would come true, and Wally would have an excuse not to make the needed changes; rather pointing out that the coaches did a fabulous job getting the team to the GC inspite of injuries to key personnel!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

2011. Terrible start to the year. Then Lulay takes over, has an MOP season, and MVP in the Grey Cup. Harris runs wild, as he can, when defences cannot key on him to the extent they do now. That year seems more and more like an aberration from the decline that had set in from 2007 to 2010.

Our decline may have been more about new coaches around the league raising the bar, raising the level of coaching. Austin. Hufnagel. Trestman. Et cetera.

So for a couple of years now, some of us have been asking if we are a middle of the pack team? It seems like it.

Wally moved himself upstairs. He appointed his protege, Mike Benevides as Head Coach (Benny's resume was not all that loaded with credentials). This is the same Mike Benevides who earlier had turned down the Argos' head job. One can easily imagine that situation not turning out all that well either, if he had taken the job.

2012. Lots of regular season wins with a loaded, 2011 Grey Cup champion roster. No wins in the playoffs. Backsliding on down since then.

Heat building up last year. Benny must have felt he needed a scapegoat or two. JC was an easy target. OC is a front and center position. JC and Rich Stubler, with a huge, overloaded resume were released. Big gamble by Benny, with Wally's blessing, two or three steps removed from Wally's own position.

After two people turned us down, Paul LaPolice and George Cortez, Benny reached out to Khari Jones, with a pretty slim resume himself. Are we better on offence? No. Much worse. Are we better on defence? No, although Mark W is doing pretty well, it seems to me.

5 games left. Will we finish 10 and 8? 9 and 9? We're still a pretty good bet for crossover to the East for the playoffs.

If we make the playoffs and get knocked out first round, I doubt Wally will make drastic coaching changes. Benny might want to sacrifice one or two coaches. In this case, it seems to me mediocrity will continue.

Can we win in the playoffs? Well, if Kevin Glenn is healthy, that is possible. I don't think we can really expect Lulay to be back. If we win a game or two or three, then all is right in Wally's world. His loyalty and patience once again are rewarded and validated.

All in all though, it seems to me we are middle of the road, a bit of a longshot for the Grey Cup. And this status has been developing and solidifying since 2011, IMO. For a handful of Wally's early years here we were considered the "flagship of the league" by some in the media. That time is a long ways back in the rear view mirror.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:I suspect what you said TLK. He is on TSN, you see him, remember him from his coaching days and he seems like he might be a good type for coach but I do like the Barron Miles suggestion. He was a smart player, a mentor type and so on. There are probably lots in that vein. Ex players, who had that kind of coaching role as active players might be a good places to glean. It could go completely backwards as well. Depends on the person.
Problem with Miles IMO, is that the Lions are in desperate need of an offensive mind. Not that he coulndn't find the right OC, but having autonomy as an OC leads to what we had with JC. To me it is more important to have a mind that is able to innovate against this very defensive minded CFL.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A lot of people have said Benevides, and Jones have a limited coaching resume. What makes Miles so special ? Correct me if I'm wrong but has Miles coach anything else other than the secondary ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Nothing really. He is just one of those bright guys who seemed to be good with people, a real student of the game and someone that seemed to rally people. I don't necessarily think he is the right guy but someone who is in that general vein. I want a thinking man in the HC position, someone who can do the X and O's, not someone who relies on someone else to come up with the game plans. That is why I have always leaned towards Dave Dickenson. Probably one of the smartest football minds out there. I think he will make a great head coach and maybe, just maybe, if we don't wait too long, he might be convinced to come west again. It's a long shot I know but one can dream.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Nothing really. He is just one of those bright guys who seemed to be good with people, a real student of the game and someone that seemed to rally people. I don't necessarily think he is the right guy but someone who is in that general vein. I want a thinking man in the HC position, someone who can do the X and O's, not someone who relies on someone else to come up with the game plans. That is why I have always leaned towards Dave Dickenson. Probably one of the smartest football minds out there. I think he will make a great head coach and maybe, just maybe, if we don't wait too long, he might be convinced to come west again. It's a long shot I know but one can dream.
Who in their wildest dreams dreamt that Wally Buono would come to BC ?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Wally had chances to pick up either Milanovich, O'Shea or Jones and he didn't...coaches with this kind of experience/history, and knowledge of X's and O's don't come around very often...we missed on all three. Dave Dickenson is the next great CFL HC, but Hufnagel knows that as well and has apparently promised DD some kind of transition plan in CGY. Unless Wally realizes the ABSOLUTE MESS he has with his coaches and makes an all out push for DD in the offseason, the Lions will be faced with standing pat, which could be disastrous for this franchise.

MB is NOT HCing material...Dorazio's days are long past...Joe Paopao (a failure as a coach in the CFL) is somehow coaching our receivers...Kelly Bates (a VERY smart guy) an ex OLineman is coaching our RBs, Washington is playing with fire using Bighill and Sol the way he is to compensate for no safety, and doesn't know how to coach from behind. With or without this talent, the Lions are facing having to compete with excellent coaching around the CFL...EDM, CGY, SSK, a 2nd year for O'Shea in WPG, Milanovich in TOR with a settled practise and stadium situation, Austin settling in HAM with a new stadium...OTT finding better players will get better, and MTL has actually added a lot of good, young assistants there...we could end up at the bottom of the pack within a couple of years if Wally doesn't not only make a change, but THE RIGHT CHANGE, like Dave Dickenson.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein