Can we be more CFL-positive?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:At least the CFL officials, both the executives off the field and the referees on the field still use their own terminologies and have not been influenced by the NFL.

1. The CFL still uses their orange penalty flags and didn't change to yellow penalty flags.

2. When announcing penalties, the referee will refer to the team "Edmonton number #" instead of the NFL where he announces "Offence number #".

3. The CFL overtime procedure. While they did change the regulations from when they had two 5-minute halves, they did not change because of NFL influence.

4. Maintaining the rouge.

There was one season in 2009 in which the CFL changed the scoring system with regards to after a successful field goal in which the team scored against must receive a kickoff as opposed to choosing to scrimmage from their own 35-yard line. I wonder if that was changed because of influence from the NFL. In any case, it was unpopular and was quickly changed back to the original system in 2010.
It wasn't really my intent in creating this thread to get into detailed discussions of these subtle rule differences in the two leagues.

But I don't know if NFL influence had much to do with that last one. I think it was simply an effort at boosting the entertainment value of the game as much as anything else. Under the old system, and once again since the rule change was quickly repealed, if you were down either nine or ten near game's end, you had to get the TD first. Kicking the FG first lets the other team just scrimmage; no shot at an onside kick. The rule change averted this; you could kick the FG first and then still try to recover the onside kick to mount a TD drive. I wonder if there might be any value in adopting a middle ground here, whereby the post-FG KO is mandatory only after the Q4 3MW.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Robbie wrote:2. When announcing penalties, the referee will refer to the team "Edmonton number #" instead of the NFL where he announces "Offence number #".
I've always preferred use by officials of "offense" and "defense" over the teams' names in referring to a team for whatever reason. Although it doesn't represent any practical difference, it somehow seems more objective to me.
I like the CFL version. Because penalties happen on special teams, too. I've noticed the NFL in this situation will say "kicking team" or "receiving team" or something like that. The CFL version means you only need two phrases in any given game. Another reason I like it is that the two words offence and defence are too similar. They are so similar in fact, that while in most other usages the pronunciation accent is on the latter syllable in both cases, in the context of sports (and football in particular) the constant usage of both terms together means they are both pronounced with accents on the first syllable, specifically to more effectively distinguish between them.

A third, admittedly minor reason the CFL system might be better: if your attention has been distracted from the game for a few moments, you might return to it just as the ref is announcing a penalty. If he's calling it against the offence or defence, you still need a moment to sort out who this is as possession may have changed since you last noticed. This isn't an issue for the CFL system; you know immediately whether it's against the good guys or bad guys and you can accordingly react (booing or cheering) right away. From this perspective one might consider the CFL protocol more fan-friendly. I wonder, for example, if it provokes a stronger crowd reaction at BC Place if the team name is identified in the call — e.g., if say, "Edmonton" is called for roughing the passer rather than their "defence".

I heard a story once, perhaps an urban legend so I could stand to be corrected on this, that the NFL once used the CFL system here but changed it for a very embarrassing reason. Seems the Indianapolis Colts were flagged for something, but the referee had a slip of the tongue, calling the penalty against "Baltimore", and they supposedly changed to their current system shortly thereafter. At any rate the fact that there are far more franchises in their league might be part of the reason for their protocol.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I'll bite and admit that I'd vote for (F), "the season really starts now." All of the other responses are appropriate too but this one is overarching. It's a time-honoured phrase that has stood the test of time, along with other such as "it's not how you start; it's how you finish" and "it's a marathon, not a sprint." Rivalry games are often so-called four-pointers, divisional clashes that go a long way toward determining playoff positions. This year is a purrfect illustration of the shift in magnitude after Labour Day. For the first half of the season, the league scheduled a lot of interlocking games. As it turned out, these games tended to be low scoring, with great disparity in results between East and West. It's no coincidence that since Labour Day, games have tended to be higher scoring, with more competitive balance and great entertainment value. The playoff races in both divisions have tightened and become real races.

I'm as CFL-positive as anyone. I live for the CFL season and don't really follow the other league. Admitting that the second half of the CFL season is the key to success is no different from admitting that the NHL playoffs are what really counts, not the regular season. There's nothing negative about either statement. To me, that's just stating the obvious.
I'll reiterate the same point I mentioned to DanoT, that this underscores just how embedded these notions have become in the minds of the public. I wonder how much of what has played out this year in the CFL might be viewed as self-fulfilling prophecy. Was there any good reason, in a league that has long had a theme of W > E domination to it, to front-load the sked with E/W games rather than evenly distribute them through the season? I think there's merit in raising the profile of the league's early months, but constantly fostering this whole Labour-Day-is-when-it-really-starts attitude is self-defeating. When was the last time you ever heard anyone say that the NFL season "doesn't really start until Halloween"? I know their playoff structure is far less generous than ours but even if this weren't the case I still think the NFL is too wary of its bottom line to allow such notions to gain a foothold.

I'm not claiming that things would change overnight if we simply stopped hearing such phraseology all of a sudden. It would be more like a lot of bigger more significant social issues where public attitudes have shifted gradually over time. For example, the NFL's current firestorm over its preponderance of domestic violence incidents (and perhaps criminal cases in general). A generation ago people were more inclined to look the other way on this stuff but no longer. There is far less, pretty much zero tolerance among the general public for this abhorrent behaviour nowadays but this attitude shift didn't come all at once.

Likewise with the changes I would like to see in how the CFL is covered.

Re: the NHL, I believe that perception has shifted as they have expanded. The idea of a "meaningless" regular season, or however you want to term it, seemed fairly commonplace to me in the 1979-1991 era when 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs. But with the league's growth to 30 teams since then, and now barely half of them making it to the dance, I seem to notice less currency for this notion. Certainly, the significance of the regular season was not lost on Vancouver Canuck fans who followed the travails of their team last season.
Last edited by sj-roc on Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:But I don't know if NFL influence had much to do with that last one. I think it was simply an effort at boosting the entertainment value of the game as much as anything else. Under the old system, and once again since the rule change was quickly repealed, if you were down either nine or ten near game's end, you had to get the TD first. Kicking the FG first lets the other team just scrimmage; no shot at an onside kick. The rule change averted this; you could kick the FG first and then still try to recover the onside kick to mount a TD drive. I wonder if there might be any value in adopting a middle ground here, whereby the post-FG KO is mandatory only after the Q4 3MW.
Perhaps a very little known CFL rule is after a team has a field goal successfully scored against or scores a safety of their own, there are actually three options the team can choose:

1. Scrimmage on their own 35-yard line.
2. Receive a kickoff (from 35-yard line after a FG, 25-yard line after a Safety)
3. Kickoff from their own 35-yard line.

The third option is ridiculous and unpopular as it doesn't make sense at all to kick the ball away and give possession to the other team again so that option it's never chosen. I wonder why that option is still in the rule book in the CFL.

Maybe a discussion for another time, do you like the NFL procedure after giving up a Safety in that the team scored upon must do a free kick from their own 20-yard line?

And one term that is much common in the CFL compared to the NFL is: concede

He will concede a single point.
The Lions conceded an intentional safety.

The more popular terminology after a Safety in the NFL would be: spotted
sj-roc wrote:
South Pender wrote:
Robbie wrote:2. When announcing penalties, the referee will refer to the team "Edmonton number #" instead of the NFL where he announces "Offence number #".
I've always preferred use by officials of "offense" and "defense" over the teams' names in referring to a team for whatever reason. Although it doesn't represent any practical difference, it somehow seems more objective to me.
I like the CFL version. Because penalties happen on special teams, too. I've noticed the NFL in this situation will say "kicking team" or "receiving team" or something like that. The CFL version means you only need two phrases in any given game. Another reason I like it is that the two words offence and defence are too similar. They are so similar in fact, that while in most other usages the pronunciation accent is on the latter syllable in both cases, in the context of sports (and football in particular) the constant usage of both terms together means they are both pronounced with accents on the first syllable, specifically to more effectively distinguish between them.

A third, admittedly minor reason the CFL system might be better: if your attention has been distracted from the game for a few moments, you might return to it just as the ref is announcing a penalty. If he's calling it against the offence or defence, you still need a moment to sort out who this is as possession may have changed since you last noticed. This isn't an issue for the CFL system; you know immediately whether it's against the good guys or bad guys and you can accordingly react (booing or cheering) right away. From this perspective one might consider the CFL protocol more fan-friendly. I wonder, for example, if it provokes a stronger crowd reaction at BC Place if the team name is identified in the call — e.g., if say, "Edmonton" is called for roughing the passer rather than their "defence".

I heard a story once, perhaps an urban legend so I could stand to be corrected on this, that the NFL once used the CFL system here but changed it for a very embarrassing reason. Seems the Indianapolis Colts were flagged for something, but the referee had a slip of the tongue, calling the penalty against "Baltimore", and they supposedly changed to their current system shortly thereafter. At any rate the fact that there are far more franchises in their league might be part of the reason for their protocol.
The actual article from 1986, and it was the announcement of a Timeout by the Colts, who moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 75,3065141
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Perhaps a very little known CFL rule is after a team has a field goal successfully scored against or scores a safety of their own, there are actually three options the team can choose:

1. Scrimmage on their own 35-yard line.
2. Receive a kickoff (from 35-yard line after a FG, 25-yard line after a Safety)
3. Kickoff from their own 35-yard line.

The third option is ridiculous and unpopular as it doesn't make sense at all to kick the ball away and give possession to the other team again so that option it's never chosen. I wonder why that option is still in the rule book in the CFL.
I was aware of this rule; AFAIK it also applies after TDs. I can imagine at least one scenario where it might be worth considering.

There's one second left in the game with a tied score after you just gave up a FG. You could win on a kickoff rouge. But unlike a regular (punt or MFG) rouge whereby you could simply kick it through the endzone without the receiving team even getting a hand on it, they have to at least touch it to bring the kickoff rouge into play and of course fail to get it back out before the play is dead, so this factor might hamper the inclination to kickoff.

But you could also score an "onside TD" in this scenario if you recover it yourself in goal. The decision on whether to kickoff yourself after surrendering a FG might also be sweetened if the opponent has taken one or more dead ball penalties after the FG. Especially if these are major fouls or DQs, which would greatly shorten how far your kickoff must travel, making the rouge or TD scoring attempt a higher percentage gambit (anyone remember that time a few years ago when we had the other team — the Argos, I think it was — kicking off from, I believe it was OUR 35? Our side of midfield at any rate).

There's also the psychological effect of catching the other team off-guard as they might not expect this unusual decision. They would likely expect a hail mary play from your 35 to get the TD (or a PI penalty and one extra shot). A surprise kickoff might catch their special teams coach scrambling to get their right personnel into place on the field.

Oh and thanks for clarifying that Indy/Balt issue. Do they still announce timeouts by naming the team rather than their O/D designation?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I was aware of this rule; AFAIK it also applies after TDs.
According to the latest set of CFL rules: http://www.cfl.ca/uploads/assets/CFL/PD ... k_2009.pdf
The choice to kickoff from your own 35-yard only applies after the opponent scores a field goal and not after the opponent scores a touchdown.
SECTION 2 – KICKOFF
Article 1 – Points Of Kickoff
The ball shall be kicked off by a place kick from any point between the hash marks
on Team A’s:
(a) 35-yard line – at the start of the game, or any half, or after a touchdown.
(b) 35-yard line – after a score of three points by the kicking team, or the team
scored against may elect to put the ball in play by kickoff from its own 35-yard line.
(c) 25-yard line – after a score of two points against the kicking team or the scoring
team may elect to put the ball in play by kickoff or scrimmage from its own 35-yard line.
Do they still announce timeouts by naming the team rather than their O/D designation?
IIRC, when announcing timeouts the referee will announce the geographical city/state of the team and not the team's nickname.
In other words, Timeout Seattle and NOT Timeout Seahawks.

And I think other time the referee will mention the team's location is when there is the challenge and result after investigation.
Seattle is challenging the play on the field.
Seattle is/is not charged with a timeout.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:Besides, it's simply a more compact phrase and also has the added benefit of encompassing its two-point variety that those other phrases don't offer. Mind you, this wasn't a big deal over most of NFL history since they didn't adopt the 2PC until 1994 (the CFL adopted it in 1975).
I suppose you do hear "two-point convert," but the more usual phrase in Canadian (as well as American) football, I think, is either "two-point conversion" or "going for two." The term "convert" in Canadian football (seldom heard south of the border) generally refers to the 1-point FG variety. I don't find the phrase "point after" at all clumsy and is, at least, unambiguous. It has one more syllable than "convert," but economy of expression is a virtue only if there's no reduction in clarity. I think that in general I'd prefer "point after" for the 1-pt. FG and "two-point conversion" for the TD variety.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I was aware of this rule; AFAIK it also applies after TDs.
According to the latest set of CFL rules: http://www.cfl.ca/uploads/assets/CFL/PD ... k_2009.pdf
The choice to kickoff from your own 35-yard only applies after the opponent scores a field goal and not after the opponent scores a touchdown.
SECTION 2 – KICKOFF
Article 1 – Points Of Kickoff
The ball shall be kicked off by a place kick from any point between the hash marks
on Team A’s:
(a) 35-yard line – at the start of the game, or any half, or after a touchdown.
(b) 35-yard line – after a score of three points by the kicking team, or the team
scored against may elect to put the ball in play by kickoff from its own 35-yard line.
(c) 25-yard line – after a score of two points against the kicking team or the scoring
team may elect to put the ball in play by kickoff or scrimmage from its own 35-yard line.
We're getting into some pretty arcane stuff here but this quotation doesn't mean you yourself can't kickoff after you've allowed a TD. The phrase "Team A" only designates the team kicking off; it doesn't specify anything re: their status prior to such kickoff (as to whether they've scored or surrendered the TD in part (a)). I know it would be more obvious if it were worded in parallel with part (b), but part (a) is mainly intended to designate from where the kickoff is to be taken. And considering the scenario I outlined in my last post, it seems unusual that you could choose to kickoff after allowing a FG but not after allowing a TD.

And in fact here's an excerpt from Rule 3 (Scoring), Section 2 (Definitions), Article 1 (Touchdown), taken from the same link you just gave me:
After a touchdown, the team scored against may kickoff from its own 35-yard line [emphasis mine — sj-r] or require the scoring team to kickoff from its (scoring team's) 35-yard line.
This wording has been in the rule book a long time and I've always found it odd, "... or require...", as if the first option were the default!

There's a similar wording in the very next article below it for FGs:
After a field goal, the team scored against may kickoff from its 35-yard line or require the scoring team to kickoff from its 35-yard line.
NB: this is the 2009 edition of the rule, which made post-FG kickoffs mandatory (for that year only as you stated earlier).
Do they still announce timeouts by naming the team rather than their O/D designation?
IIRC, when announcing timeouts the referee will announce the geographical city/state of the team and not the team's nickname.
In other words, Timeout Seattle and NOT Timeout Seahawks.

And I think other time the referee will mention the team's location is when there is the challenge and result after investigation.
Seattle is challenging the play on the field.
Seattle is/is not charged with a timeout.
Well, there you go, another reason for me to prefer the CFL protocol: one set of labels for all situations. That would certainly make it simpler. I guess the O/D designations when calling penalties were always that way in the NFL.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Besides, it's simply a more compact phrase and also has the added benefit of encompassing its two-point variety that those other phrases don't offer. Mind you, this wasn't a big deal over most of NFL history since they didn't adopt the 2PC until 1994 (the CFL adopted it in 1975).
I suppose you do hear "two-point convert," but the more usual phrase in Canadian (as well as American) football, I think, is either "two-point conversion" or "going for two." The term "convert" in Canadian football (seldom heard south of the border) generally refers to the 1-point FG variety. I don't find the phrase "point after" at all clumsy and is, at least, unambiguous. It has one more syllable than "convert," but economy of expression is a virtue only if there's no reduction in clarity. I think that in general I'd prefer "point after" for the 1-pt. FG and "two-point conversion" for the TD variety.
What I find clumsy about it is two things. First, if you'd never heard the phrase before, you'd be wondering, point after what? It sounds incomplete. And the complete phrase of point after touchdown just seems too long a name, especially to designate the lowest-valued score. Even its abbreviation PAT is longer than those of the other scores.

Second, all of the other scores in football, both in the CFL and NFL are comprised of point values in varying number and given their own names: touchdown, field goal, safety touch (or simply just safety), single/rouge (it seems the term rouge is making a comeback? IIRC there was a time when it was almost exclusively called a single). But to call this other score simply a point in itself, or more specifically a "point after touchdown" just seems to lack imagination. It would be like calling a field goal "three points after 3rd down". It's almost like it's only a placeholder name they're using until they come up with something a little more succinct. It's a type of score that, like the others, deserves its own name rather than simply invoking the generic word point, which is more properly regarded as measuring the value, rather than identifying the type, of the score. By analogy there are quarters, dimes and nickels worth 25, 10 and 5 cents each. There's also a coin worth one cent but it's not generally referred to as a cent in the way we use these other terms for the larger denominations; it's called a penny — all notwithstanding that the penny is now extinct in Canadian currency, of course!

As for convert, I don't know whether the word "conversion" gets used more often in media. Certainly the league's own rule book and record book uses the term convert over conversion exclusively. I don't feel it creates any reduction in clarity. Convert by itself can refer to either of its two varieties, but context will generally clarify if it is designating the one-point variety; if one specifically wishes to designate the two-point version, then one can say "two-point convert" (I often abbreviate it as 2PC in chatboardspeak) and there's no clearer or more concise way of saying this in NFL-style vernacular (merely AS clear or concise, at best). As for the phrase "going for two", it doesn't strike me as particularly native to either code. I use it myself but I don't claim it as a CFL device. One might also speak of "going for three" in the context of a FGA — mostly likely on your last down notwithstanding game clock management, whether this happens to be 3rd or 4th — rather than either punting or gambling with your offence.

On a completely different matter of scoring jargon, one occasionally hears in CFL circles, while it certainly isn't a part of its official lexicon, the word "major" or the phrase "major score" to denote a touchdown. I don't know if this usage has ever been a part of the NFL vernacular and I wonder how it ever gained a foothold with our league. I get that it might have been introduced for variety's sake, but at the same time one never hears a FG referred to as a "minor" or a "minor score".
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
EDIT: I just thought of another thing I'd like to see changed. I'd like to see the phrases "extra point", "point after" or "point after touchdown" — all of which are NFL neologisms that I've always found clumsy and weak — stricken from the CFL lexicon and universally replaced with the more terse and official-sounding term "convert". I have several 1990s-era editions of the league's annual almanac that use this term exclusively, but now I see some of those other awkward phrases on the CFL's own play-by-play data pages . Rick Ball always favoured this term ("BC takes the lead 26-23 with the convert to come") and I've noticed Rintoul has also mostly done so to this point (for most of the seven TDs he's had to call so far). I noticed at the game on Friday Matt Baker using "point after" in his PA commentary. Matt, I see that you read this board at times (thanks for dropping by!) and even post the occasional comment. Not to single you out or trying to tell you how to do your job or anything, but how 'bout doing this longtime CFL fan a solid and going with "convert", huh? :thup: :)
:good:
While we're at it, can we please get rid of the terms "free safety" and "nickleback"? I could also do with ditching "tailback" for halfback or running back, but that's at least not as blatantly wrong as the first two, and the first one which broadcasters insist on using more and more every game I watch.

Even better, let's bring back the old signals for first, second and third down instead of the ref just holding up fingers. But I suppose the minute flag is lost forever...
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
EDIT: I just thought of another thing I'd like to see changed. I'd like to see the phrases "extra point", "point after" or "point after touchdown" — all of which are NFL neologisms that I've always found clumsy and weak — stricken from the CFL lexicon and universally replaced with the more terse and official-sounding term "convert". I have several 1990s-era editions of the league's annual almanac that use this term exclusively, but now I see some of those other awkward phrases on the CFL's own play-by-play data pages . Rick Ball always favoured this term ("BC takes the lead 26-23 with the convert to come") and I've noticed Rintoul has also mostly done so to this point (for most of the seven TDs he's had to call so far). I noticed at the game on Friday Matt Baker using "point after" in his PA commentary. Matt, I see that you read this board at times (thanks for dropping by!) and even post the occasional comment. Not to single you out or trying to tell you how to do your job or anything, but how 'bout doing this longtime CFL fan a solid and going with "convert", huh? :thup: :)
:good:
While we're at it, can we please get rid of the terms "free safety" and "nickleback"? I could also do with ditching "tailback" for halfback or running back, but that's at least not as blatantly wrong as the first two, and the first one which broadcasters insist on using more and more every game I watch.
You're right CML; these two are definitely NFL loanwords that underscore the differences in the secondary positions in the two games. Base NFL secondaries normally have four players, two corners and two safeties, the free safety and the strong safety (I'm guessing these are analogous to the SAM and WILL linebacking positions according to whether they play the narrow or wide side of the field), whereas the typical CFL secondary has only one safety in the middle of the base five so this distinction of free or strong is moot. I believe Glen Suitor, perhaps because he considers himself to have played the position, often uses the free safety term. I suppose I could see the safety position in the CFL further specified if he happens to line up far closer to one HB or the other depending on the QB's throwing tendencies. I'd leave that for more Xs-and-Os-oriented folks to ponder.

And of course the nickelback (note spelling) in the NFL is an extra DB with the name reflecting that he's an ad hoc fifth member of the group. Since the base CFL secondary already has five DBs the term is a bit of a misnomer in our game. The NFL also uses the term dimeback to denote a sixth DB, so if we must devise a name for an extra CFL DB then perhaps this could be the preferred term, although eschewing the nickelback term would somewhat obscure its etymology. And of course there's a flaw in the coin-influenced nomenclature for these extra DBs, one that becomes clear when you add in a 7th DB. Do we refer to him as the... quarterback? LOL
Even better, let's bring back the old signals for first, second and third down instead of the ref just holding up fingers. But I suppose the minute flag is lost forever...
Now THIS is something I've been noticing lately at games, too! The 1st down signal has always been the same as long as I can recall: the arm is held aloft, hand open in a vertical plane with all fingers touching, and pointing in the direction the team with possession is (or will be) driving. That part is fine.

It's 2nd & 3rd down where I've seen the difference. AFAIK 2nd down was once denoted with raised index and pinkie fingers, while 3rd down was denoted with just a raised fist, no fingers extended. These two are clearly different from 1st down and easily distinguished from each other from a distance. But now it seems 2nd down has index and middle finger raised, while 3rd down has three raised fingers (forget exactly which ones, either the pinky or index is excluded from the main four) and it's harder to tell these apart from afar. Just doesn't make sense to me when the older system was perfectly fine.

You'll have to explain this minute flag, though; it must be before my time. I'm guessing the ref would just toss a flag when there's one minute left in the half? That seems unnecessary now with today's stadiums having game clocks easily visible from all seating areas.
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:You're right CML; these two are definitely NFL loanwords that underscore the differences in the secondary positions in the two games. Base NFL secondaries normally have four players, two corners and two safeties, the free safety and the strong safety (I'm guessing these are analogous to the SAM and WILL linebacking positions according to whether they play the narrow or wide side of the field)...."
The strong safety in the American game typically lines up on the side occupied by the tight end (used far more in the NFL than the CFL, and a position I'd like to see CFL teams use much more than they do). He's usually the bigger and tougher of the two safeties, often lines up a little closer to the LOS and is a hard hitter. The free safety usually plays further back and is the quicker of the two safeties with the speed to cover the fastest WRs. An excellent example is the Seahawks' two safeties. Kam Chancellor is the strong safety and is 6-3, 232 lbs., and hits like a ton of bricks. Earl Thomas is the free safety. He's 5-10, 202 lbs., and has blinding WR speed (4.41 in the 40). Thomas is a little faster and quicker than Chancellor (4.62 in the 40). As a pair, they're easily the best safeties in the NFL.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
sj-roc wrote:You're right CML; these two are definitely NFL loanwords that underscore the differences in the secondary positions in the two games. Base NFL secondaries normally have four players, two corners and two safeties, the free safety and the strong safety (I'm guessing these are analogous to the SAM and WILL linebacking positions according to whether they play the narrow or wide side of the field)...."
The strong safety in the American game typically lines up on the side occupied by the tight end (used far more in the NFL than the CFL, and a position I'd like to see CFL teams use much more than they do). He's usually the bigger and tougher of the two safeties, often lines up a little closer to the LOS and is a hard hitter. The free safety usually plays further back and is the quicker of the two safeties with the speed to cover the fastest WRs. An excellent example is the Seahawks' two safeties. Kam Chancellor is the strong safety and is 6-3, 232 lbs., and hits like a ton of bricks. Earl Thomas is the free safety. He's 5-10, 202 lbs., and has blinding WR speed (4.41 in the 40). Thomas is a little faster and quicker than Chancellor (4.62 in the 40). As a pair, they're easily the best safeties in the NFL.
Yeah there was a time when TEs were as much a CFL fixture as they always have been in the NFL, but they seemed to evolve out of our game around the 1980s as teams became more slotback-oriented in their passing attack. Nowadays of course CFL offences will deploy some players in a TE role on occasion as you say but they never seem to be officially listed with this position. Perhaps with time they'll make a full comeback. To be honest I thought when Jason Clermont burst onto the scene that it might so unfold but of course this didn't happen.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The minute flag was held up for the entire last minute of the game (I can't recall if they had a minute flag to end the half.) I don't know when or why they stopped doing it.

I always though that the NFL had a Weak Side Safety and a Strong Side Safety and that a Free Safety was a CFL term.

I had never equated a Nickelback to being a 5th back, which he is in the NFL but not CFL partly because a Dimeback is not a 10th back or 6th back but just a DB that comes in to replace another linebacker in addition to the DB who came into the game earlier as a Nickelback to replace the other LB.

In the CFL these days, because of all the passing, it seems that most teams use a Nickelback full time and as such he is really a Hybrid LB.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

As I recall, the minute flag was held up by a sideline official, for the last minute of each half, and lasted through maybe the 1980s or so. I don't remember there being any particular rules WRT time clock etc like there is under the currrent three minute warning; I think it was just an indication, like the flag lap in a car race or the bell lap in a cycling race.

The signal I remember for first down was an L shape: one arm straight up and the other one horizontal pointing in the direction the play was going. Second down was both arms held straight up in front of the chest, and third down was similar with the arms crossed.

About Labour Day: CFL season starts in June and ends in November, and all the games count the same. Labour Day to me means the end of August and beginning of September. We don't have kids, and though my wife works at UBC and has to deal with more students around it doesn't impact our lives otherwise. Despite what the news tells you, summer still runs to September 21, though those of us who hike like to hold onto the hiking season as long as we can.