Argonauts 40 - Lions 23 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Glenn off his game through Q 1.

T Williams out of control.

We seemed to come in overconfident.

Argos better prepared. Better focus.

Five yards passing into Q 2.

Ray has 109.

Nice pass and catch Glenn and Burnham.

Ray to Owens. 18-1, Argos.

Burnham has good size and great hands.

Glenn to Manny. Terrific pass and catch.

Ray over 200 for the half. 2TDs. No Ints.

Harris limping a bit after a great catch.

Glenn up to 145.

Argos more like one would expect of this team.

21-9 at the half, Argos.

I agree with Suitor re ... QBs have to get down, protect themselves. At the risk of a team fine.

Schultz calls Ray the best deep ball passer in the league. I agree.

Khreem with the sack to start Q 3.

TD run. Argos 28-9.

Lions falling apart a bit. Chippy. Penalties. Sack. J.R. goes crazy on R Ray.

Both teams too chippy. Guys nicked all over.

Angle blocking left. Huge gain for Harris.

Brain dead attempt to block punt.

Nice overturn on PI vs Manny.

Milanovich hot. LOL

Khreem sack number three. Van Zyl calls him the most underrated player in the league. I agree.

Very nice catch and run by Harris.

Very nice pass and catch to Burnham. He looks very, very good. Confident. Goes and gets the ball. 6' 2'' 195. Very agile and mobile. Tremendous hands.

Scramble by Ray, pass to Owens. FG 33-16 Tor.

Late drive by BC for a TD. Too little too late.

Juvenlile, unprofessional try for an onside kick by us. Comical.

Solo had 10 tackles.
...................................................................................

Up and down year for us. Talent seems good. Coaching leadership ... Not so sure. Undisciplined play. Drives for Argos extended by penalties. Our drives killed by penalties.

Run game not featured, despite two or even three very good running backs.

Pressure on Ray inadequate.

Why do we never throw to Poblah? He gets a good workout running decoy routes, but that is about it. If a guy does not really want the ball, he won't get it even thrown to him. Burnham wants the ball, and it took Glenn a millisecond to find that out.

I am not so tough on Glenn. He is not our problem. He is a pretty good QB on a poorly, strangely coached team.

Toronto was well prepared. Us not so much. Not in our game plan. Not in our focus. I like Khreem Smith, but he was one of three defenders almost out of control emotionally, along with LaRose and Williams.

Some of us think our talent is very good. If it is not, that is on Wally and the personnel people. if the talent is good, that is on the coaching staff.

I have kind of given up on wins and losses. I still enjoy watching. Burnham was fun to watch. When Harris gets a hole to run through he is great to watch. Solo. Khreem. Manny for sure. Not much fun watching Benny.

Milanovich is interesting. To me, he does not posture, but his emotions, intensity and passion are evident. He is IMO a thoroughly capable coach. The Argos have put up with a horrendous situation this year, and the team is still very together.

I thought we played hard, but not smart. Very pedestrian game plans on O and D, and of course, STs.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

PASSING CP/AT YDS TD INT
K. GLENN 21/35 291 2 1
J. BECK 2/5 31 0 0

RECEIVING REC YDS TD LG
E. ARCENEAUX 9 119 1 25
B. BURNHAM 5 90 1 35
A. HARRIS 4 60 0 25
S. GORE 3 30 0 16
M. IANNUZZI 1 14 0 14
T. BROWN 1 9 0 9

RUSHING ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 6 40 0 28
S. LOGAN 5 31 0 14
J. BECK 2 1 1 1
K. GLENN 1 13 0 13
S. GORE 1 8 0 8

FUMBLES NO LST REC YDS
S. LOGAN 1 0 0 0
T. BROWN 1 0 0 0
FIELD GOALS FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM
0/2 0 3/3 5
PUNTING NO AVG NET LG
R. SCHMITT 6 51.7 250 53
PUNT RETURNS NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 3 14 4.7 7 0
S. LOGAN 3 9 3.0 4 0
KICKOFFS NO YDS LG SG
R. SCHMITT 4 281 74 0
P. MCCALLUM 1 9 9 0
KICK RETURNS NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 3 87 29.0 39 0
S. LOGAN 2 36 18.0 19 0

DEFENCE TKL SK INT FF
S. ELIMIMIAN 10 0 0 0
K. SMITH 5 3 0 0
A. LAROSE 4 0 0 0
A. BIGHILL 4 0 0 0
C. PARKS 4 0 0 0
E. TAYLOR 3 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 3 0 0 0
T. WILLIAMS 2 0 0 0
R. YELL 2 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 1 0 0 0
D. MARSH 1 0 0 0
B. BURNHAM 1 0 0 0
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

PASSING CP/AT YDS TD INT
R. RAY 24/33 284 2 0

RECEIVING REC YDS TD LG
C. OWENS 8 117 1 38
L. BRAZILL 4 64 1 30
A. DURIE 4 48 0 26
S. SLATON 4 27 0 15
S. WATT 2 8 0 5
C. STEELE 1 12 0 12
J. BARNES 1 8 0 8

RUSHING ATT YDS TD LG
C. STEELE 6 73 1 26
S. SLATON 6 52 1 29
R. RAY 2 6 0 4
C. OWENS 1 5 0 5
M. GALE 1 1 0 1

FUMBLES NO LST REC YDS
FIELD GOALS FG LG XP PTS
S. WATERS
3/3 53 4/4 13
PUNTING NO AVG NET LG
S. WATERS 7 47.4 309 65
PUNT RETURNS NO YDS AVG LG TD
B. SMITH 3 14 4.7 8 0
C. OWENS 2 30 15.0 21 0
L. BRAZILL 1 16 16.0 16 0
KICKOFFS NO YDS LG SG
S. WATERS 5 336 72 0
KICK RETURNS NO YDS AVG LG TD
B. SMITH 2 44 22.0 32 0
C. STEELE 1 28 28.0 28 0
A. WOODSON 1 16 16.0 16 0

DEFENCE TKL SK INT FF
G. JONES 6 1 0 0
S. EMRY 6 1 0 0
J. ROBINSON 6 0 0 0
V. AGNEW 4 1 0 0
A. SUBER 3 0 1 0
J. CARTER 3 0 0 0
J. GABRIEL 2 0 0 0
D. JOHNSON 2 0 0 0
B. SMITH 1 0 0 0
A. WHITESIDE 1 0 0 0
T. OKPALAUGO 1 0 0 0
D. DAVIS 1 0 0 0

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Joe, I thought your last comment was your best...pedestrian game plans by the O and D, you can add the S Ts to that list as well...horrid attempt at the onside kick as well.

No one should get excited about the Lions points/yardage late...the Argos went into a prevent D early and we still needed bad penalty calls and missed calls against them to aid our #'s...we got very lucky with a quick whistle as well. Our offence is just not well coached ANYWHERE...not on the line, not with the WRs, not with the QB, and not with the design and play calling. The fact is, Kevin Glenn is a professional and he keeps taking his shots, but he is alone out there a lot...plus I don't know how much more his aging, smaller body can take...Khari Jones simply hasn't learned a thing from the games played this season...and he is so predictable when it counts...again, take away the late yards/points GIVEN us by the Argos, and our Offence basically did nothing all game.

As for our D, what I have said all along played itself out tonight. Our style doesn't work well with our weak offence. We are behind a lot, and all game tonight, and Washington mostly played his same system all game. For the most part, very plain and very unenthused. And at one point in the early 4th quarter when we blitzed 2 plays in a row, to no success, Washington went away from the blitz for the rest of the drive, resulting in another TOR score...unbelievable really...When you play a soft, bend but don't break defence, with your LBs way off the LOS, you don't force a lot of turnovers, and that's what our defence needs to generate to 1) get off the field, 2) change momentum, and 3) get the ball back to the offence...

S Ts, very mediocre, tough night for McCAllum all around...tough to lose Tim Brown...

Khreem Smith 3 sacks (albeit against one blocker all game) was strong and physical
Sol 11 tackles was everywhere
Biggie all over the field, maybe a step too slow tonight, but great effort
The newcomer at WR was VERY GOOD I thought...pair him with Arceneaux and we still have good targets to throw to.
Andrew Harris, strong effort every time he got the ball, just too often there was nowhere to go...

Tip your hat to Milanovich and Co., they have had to battle through an awful lot and key injuries for most of the year...they are just coming healthy now...throw their record out the window, this is a good football team that's going to give anyone problems come November!

This is the worst 7-5 Lions team I think I can ever remember...and what a horrid home record, especially in the 2nd halfs...wow...again, throw out the points and yards late, they were give-me points...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

At home, in a game we needed to keep the ball away from Ricky Ray, and our RBs touched the ball only 11 times as running plays..for 71 yards...that's over 6 yards a carry...and how many times did Jones go with 5 and 6 receiver sets??? I just don't get it...Glenn isn't going to last much longer with all these hits...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

This was a game where the Lions had lots of luck, bad luck, aided by poor decision making.

I'll start with the obvious. Penalties.

Lets see, Roughing the passer, face masking, unnecessary roughness, pass interference, illegal participation to name a few. They killed themselves repeatedly and with each call, the morale dropped, the energy of the crowd lessened and eventually that was all she wrote.

Again, the offense looked way too inept for much of the game. Starting with the pick which frankly I believe might have changed the entire complexion of the game if they could have taken a TD from that first drive. I don't know if it was the new receiver or Glenn but that pass was badly behind the receiver who kind of reached back with 1 hand and deflected it right to Suber. After that it was a downhill performance.
Rushing game again non existent. The one really good run by Harris was taken away by a holding penalty.
Passing game, not bad at stages. Arceneaux had some good grabs as did Burnham. Ianuzzi - not sure what he does anymore. He sure doesn't seem very effective when he is there. Glenn looked very off much of the night. Several passes seemed to be to no one. Some pressure on him but also some just plain bad throws.

Probably the worst game I have seen from Paul McCallum since he donned a Lions Jersey.

Was particularly unimpressed with how open Owens was in first half. Has anybody not seen the Ricky Ray dunk on a crossing pattern to Owens? Those crossing patterns were way too open too often with the LB's trying to close from 5 plus yards away, frequently not getting the angle and having the play get into the secondary.
Defense was playing way too off tonight. On several 2nd and longs, the Argo's converted with the aforementioned crossing patterns and they also threw in some nice misdirection running plays. They looked polished where the Lions just looked to be trying to make something happen just on athletic ability.

The Lions are now sub 500 at home which I think is probably a first for this team ever (in the BC Place era). Any momentum they looked to have from last week totally evaporated before the first half was over in this game. The final score flattered them which is hard to say when they lost by 17.

This team is going nowhere fast and rather than look to be improving they seem to be mired in a 2 steps forward 2 steps back mode.

Their Oline isn't good enough, I dont' believe their DLine is good enough. The Quaterbacking has been on and off and lastly the coaching seems to incapable of finding a way to make this team stop taking unnecessary and very costly penalties. There will be other posters who will break it down in much better detail than I ever could but this game basically filled me with utter disgust. I am usually there till the bitter end but I had to walk out tonight at the 12:00 min mark of the 4th. There was little to applaud, little anticipation and mostly a kind of mild apathy by the half. I had no illusions that the Lions were going to make a game of it and they didn't.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
swervynmerv
Legend

I'll keep beating the drum that this is a poorly coached team.

1. Teams take on the personality of their coach and this team is undiciplined and too emotional.

2. Players need to execute, but the coaches need to implement a game plan that puts them in a position to exploit their strengths. Do our coaches do that? More often than not, I'd say no.

3. Our home record is embarassing. Why is our team so flat at home? Even the games we have won at home have been poor at stretches not including the Montreal game. When is the last time we came out and blew the doors off anyone right from the get go?

4. What has Benevides done to warrant his extension and the respect of his players? Other than Tom Higgins in Montreal, I say we have the worst Head Coach in the CFL and at least Higgins seems like a nice guy. This team has gotten worse over Benny's tenure and I have no idea how he fleeced Wally into his extension!
leo4life
All Star

Mexico was spot on in his post last week: We will not see major changes in this staff unless the losses pile up...only way to take a broom to a lame coaching staff
LadnerLion
Rookie

Another horribly disappointing home game. Highlight of the night? The Catholic Priests T-shirt guy.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kevin Glenn had his moments. His interception on the 1st drive of the game was the turning point of the game in my opinion. He threw behind Burham and was picked off. If the Lions had scored they would have momentum and the fans behind them.

Burnham was outstanding in his CFL debut.

Penalties once again killed the Lions. It killed drives, gave good field position to the Argos.

McCallum was simply awful. He came out early at half time to work on his placekicking. He hit the goal post on one of his kicks. You know right there that it wasn't going to be his night.

Argos used a lot of misdirection plays and the Lions couldn't adjust.

What was Stefan Logan trying to prove when he ran that punt out to the 2 yard line ?
Rammer
Team Captain

swervynmerv wrote:I'll keep beating the drum that this is a poorly coached team.

1. Teams take on the personality of their coach and this team is undiciplined and too emotional.

2. Players need to execute, but the coaches need to implement a game plan that puts them in a position to exploit their strengths. Do our coaches do that? More often than not, I'd say no.

3. Our home record is embarassing. Why is our team so flat at home? Even the games we have won at home have been poor at stretches not including the Montreal game. When is the last time we came out and blew the doors off anyone right from the get go?

4. What has Benevides done to warrant his extension and the respect of his players? Other than Tom Higgins in Montreal, I say we have the worst Head Coach in the CFL and at least Higgins seems like a nice guy. This team has gotten worse over Benny's tenure and I have no idea how he fleeced Wally into his extension!
If the Lions D isn't playing way above the opposition, the Lions aren't going to do much with our offensive difficulties.

This game seemed to find a way to kill momentum in every facet of the game. The O, first drive INT in the redzone. McCallum missing two FG's in range, the Argos nailing long FG's, Penalties that either sustained Argo drives, or killed Lion big plays. I mean, that was unbelievable watching it unfold. Just to rub it in I thought that after the Lions finally got a break (the challenge), Glenn suffers a loss that looks to be a TD... and on it went throughout the evening. For years the Lions have been laying stinkers, just when you think that they have found a level to acel to, they fall into 'we think that we are good' mode and just have to show up. The CFL teams will almost always beat a team that isn't prepared mentally, and the Lions are that team.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Torrie Williams can't keep taking stupid penalties like he did tonight. I like his aggressiveness but he needs to keep it under control.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Two words: Chad Owens. With Owens, the Argos can beat anyone. Without him, they can't. The Argos did what they always do with Owens in the lineup: they ran him across the formation, got the ball in his hands with speed, attacked the edges of the defence and made the B.C. linebackers and DBs chase him from sideline to sideline. Adam Bighill was worn down by the middle of the second quarter from chasing Owens, he didn't get enough support from the edge players and the Lions were slow to adjust. By then, the B.C. defence was neutralized and Bighill was worn out. He didn't make a tackle in the second half.

The Lions were undisciplined in their assignments and took too many penalties (12 for 131 yards). The mistakes they made were demoralizing. Kevin Glenn threw behind an open Bryan Burnham in the red zone on a promising opening drive and the Argos intercepted the ball. Torri Williams took three huge penalties, two of which extended Argo drives after the defence had made second-down stops. Those mistakes kill momentum and suck life of out of a team.

The mistakes kept coming. Cord Parks should have had an interception when Ricky Ray threw the ball up for grabs in the end zone. Instead he overran it and LaVon Brazill caught it for a TD at the start of the second quarter to give the Argos an 11-0 lead and further deflate a defence that hadn't given up a touchdown in two previous games. The play was eerily similar to a misplayed ball by Josh Bell in the end zone that set up an Argos victory against the Lions last year at the Rogers Centre. Ray and Owens later put an exclamation point on the Argos' first-half domination when they connected on a corner route for a touchdown against Josh Johnson. Even Paul McCallum contributed to the team's self-destruction by missing his only two field goal attempts of the game in the first half.

The Lions tightened up their coverage in the second half despite the loss of Dante Marsh and the shuffling of other players in the secondary but the damage was done. With Bighill neutralized, Steve Slaton and Curtis Steele broke long TD runs in the second half to put the game out of reach when the B.C. offence was trying to mount a comeback. Slaton's 29-yard TD came on a missed assignment by Khalif Mitchell, who was unblocked but vacated his gap, something that has happened far too often this year.

Offensively, the Lions were deep in a hole by the time they got rolling in the second half, and the defence was too worn out to make stops. The one bright spot, and it's a big one, was the play of Bryan Burnham, who looked like he'll be a solid replacement for Courtney Taylor. (Taylor, by the way, was walking just fine in street shoes and street clothes and didn't look like a player expected to undergo season-ending foot surgery).

Injuries to Dante Marsh and Tim Brown could force the Lions to shuffle the roster again next week in Calgary. Ernest Jackson may get a chance to step back into the lineup at short-side wide receiver ahead of Kito Poblah, who didn't have a pass thrown his way for the second straight game. T.J. Lee may get back on the roster in the secondary, where he has prerformed well in previous opportunities.

The bottom line; I give full credit for the Argos for the way they neutralized the B.C. defence and took control of the game. The Lions helped them with undisciplined play and missed assignments. They'll have to be sharper next week against Calgary. I'm sure the defence will want to make a statement in that game after the way they played tonight. Hopefully the offence will respond too.
David
Team Captain

Hats off to the Argos for a superior game plan. They appeared to run a lot of play action throws to the flat where Ray would find an open receiver (usually Owens) that would get them first downs. And when Ray did go deep, he connected (Parks looked surprisingly bad on one of the TD tosses. Josh Johnson was beaten on another). They also neutralized our linebackers (despite Solly having 10 tackles). Their O-line played a strong game tonight and were getting into the 2nd layer and sealing off Solly and Biggie - the key to beating this BC defense.

I can't understand how this team played so flat for much of the game tonight. The crowd was loud and into it early; the fans did their part tonight but could just not inspire this team. The interception seemed to give the Argos a huge boost while we sagged and stumbled the rest of the way.

Very few players looked inspired and ready to play tonight. Burnham, Manny, Harris (to name a few - there weren't many).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ryan Phillips said in the post game that the Lions didn't adjust to what the Argos were doing. What a surprise ! Benevides said he's going to correct the penalties. Is he going to fire himself ?