Braley sells the Argos to Bell and Kilmer

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:What a fresh of breath air it is going to be for the Argos to be playing in a actual cfl size stadium , with great new owners . Hopefully this will happen to the lions one day .
If the $600 million spent to redo BC Place doesn't make you happy, you might want to consider a permanent team change.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:What a fresh of breath air it is going to be for the Argos to be playing in a actual cfl size stadium , with great new owners . Hopefully this will happen to the lions one day .
If the $600 million spent to redo BC Place doesn't make you happy, you might want to consider a permanent team change.
:whs: X2
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:
It is had to figure why dupsdel even bothers to post here as I am pretty sure he has in the past stated that his favourite teams are the Canucks, Seahawks and he doesn't even attend Lions games.
He is mostly just a troll I guess.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Why does dupsdell remind me of a former poster that was obsessed with making Noise ? (firstdown ?)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
cromartie wrote:
It is had to figure why dupsdel even bothers to post here as I am pretty sure he has in the past stated that his favourite teams are the Canucks, Seahawks and he doesn't even attend Lions games.
He is mostly just a troll I guess.
If that hadn't already been clear then he proved it with his knee-jerk bashing of the Lions' UBC alumni promotion as supposedly coming too late into the season, when it was pretty easy to verify through UBC Alumni's social media channels as I did yesterday that it was indeed announced a good ten days before our home opener.

I don't mind hearing criticisms of the Lions. Heck, that stuff happens here every single day (I can't even think of anyone here I would call a shill). But I do like to hear the criticisms supported with facts. "Lions suck!!!!!!1!!!!one!!!!!!" comes off like a four year old and belongs in the trash heap. "Lions suck because we're not matching other teams on completing the long ball, because we're playing our DL guys out of position, because the half time presentation isn't working..." is a post I'll read.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Why does dupsdell remind me of a former poster that was obsessed with making Noise ? (firstdown ?)
OMG I was totally thinking the same thing! LOL :rotf:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Why does dupsdell remind me of a former poster that was obsessed with making Noise ? (firstdown ?)
OMG I was totally thinking the same thing! LOL :rotf:
Great minds think alike or is "we've been here too long" :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

There's been speculation about this for a while but now that MLB has released its postseason schedule, it's official that the Argos could be displaced from SkyDome for up to three regular season games depending on if and how the Blue Jays make the playoffs.

http://www.tsn.ca/jays-playoff-run-coul ... s-1.347170
Jays' playoff run could leave Argos homeless
TSN.ca Staff

With the possibility of a Toronto Blue Jays' trip to the postseason a very real one for the first time in several years, the Toronto Argonauts could find their final season at the Rogers Centre truncated.

The 2015 Major League Baseball playoff schedule, released on Monday, features three dates that coincide with Argos home games and could force the Boatmen to reschedule or move the games elsewhere.

On October 6, the Argos are scheduled to host the Ottawa Redblacks at Rogers Centre. That will also be the date for American League Wild Card play-in game. If the season were to end today, the Jays would be hosting the Baltimore Orioles in the game.

Further down the line, if the Jays were to have home-field advantage in the American League Championship Series, Game 2 on October 17 coincides with the Calgary Stampeders visiting the Rogers Centre, while Game 6 of the ALCS goes on October 23, a date when the Argos are set to host the Montreal Alouettes.

Under the current lease agreement between the Boatmen and the Rogers Centre that expires at the end of this season, the Jays have priority when it comes to stadium usage. The Blue Jays have not made the postseason since 1993, the back end of consecutive World Series triumphs.

While rescheduling the CFL game would likely be the preferred option for the Argos, the University of Toronto's Varsity Stadium and Hamilton's Tim Hortons Field, home of the Tiger-Cats, are potential landing spots for a relocated game.

Because of the Pan Am Games, the Argonauts have only played one of their seven games at the Rogers Centre this year, a 30-26 win over the Saskatchewan Roughriders on August 8.

The Argos, 5-2, are second in the East and are next in action on August 23 when they welcome the Ottawa Redblacks to the Rogers Centre.
Argos could play home games at Hamilton's Tim Hortons Field.

A 1040 Sekeres show listener this morning had a great comment on this story referencing all the tiresome talk lately of the Blue Jays being "Canada's Team", framed as a Tell Me I'm Wrong: "TMIW, the Argos playing at Fort Mac and then Hamilton would make them more of Canada's Team than the we-only-play-in-Toronto Blue Jays."

[video][/video]
BC 1988
Legend

The club confirmed today that at least another Argos "home" game will be played on the road in OTT. The Argos are probably better off financially if they play all their games away from Rogers Centre.

Toronto Argonauts announce October 6th Game to be played at TD Place Stadium in Ottawa

The Toronto Argonauts Football Club announced today that their home game, originally scheduled to be played at Rogers Centre on Tuesday, October 6 at 7:30 p.m. ET against the Ottawa REDBLACKS, will be moved to TD Place Stadium in Ottawa, ON.

“We have been aware for some time that Rogers Centre might not be available to our team during the month of October should the Toronto Blue Jays make it into the MLB post-season,” said Toronto Argonauts Executive Chairman & CEO, Chris Rudge. “Due to the tremendous success the Blue Jays have experienced this season, Rogers Centre officials informed us in writing several weeks ago to begin seeking out alternative locations for some of our October home games. We targeted the October 6th game to start and it has been a priority for us to communicate our plans early so that our fans and stakeholders can prepare. As an organization, our preference is not to have our team play back-to-back games in Ottawa. But this is an extraordinary circumstance and TD Place Stadium is available, CFL-ready and broadcast-ready. The Ottawa RedBlacks organization has been very accommodating and understanding and we are thankful to them for making this a viable option.”

Rudge continued, “While this scenario certainly offers some challenges to our team, I would like everyone to know that we are excited for the run the Blue Jays have made to date and we wish them best of luck down the stretch and, hopefully, into the post-season.”

Fans who have purchased tickets to the October 6 game will be contacted by a Toronto Argonauts ticket representative in the near future.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that it never crossed anyone's mind, when they were drawing up the schedules, that there might be some sort of conflict. Yes it's been a generation since the Jays made the playoffs, but wouldn't even the worst teams take such a thing into account when planning schedules in multi-purpose facilities??
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:I'm absolutely gobsmacked that it never crossed anyone's mind, when they were drawing up the schedules, that there might be some sort of conflict. Yes it's been a generation since the Jays made the playoffs, but wouldn't even the worst teams take such a thing into account when planning schedules in multi-purpose facilities??
Are you putting the onus on the Jays or the Argos to have foreseen this?

This was an especially pathological year for the Argos home schedule what with on top of the Blue Jays regular season, the logistical crunch of the Pan Am Games stole early season stadium availablity in the same year that the Jays are taking it away late in the CFL season because of the possibility/likelihood of MLB playoff games. If either one, never mind both of these factors were not present the Argos schedule would surely have been more amenable.

To be honest this sort of thing happens all the time anyway, although not always with two sports. I recall for example a June 2011 Supertramp concert was scheduled months in advance in Vancouver on what ultimately proved to be a home playoff night for the Canucks in the same building. The concert was re-booked so the hockey game could go ahead without delay. While the details are not in my immediate memory, I vaguely recall similar incidents over the last couple decades, often in Sun Belt cities, where scheduling conflicts arise between long-since booked concerts and Stanley Cup playoff games that were not on the horizon until only perhaps a couple weeks or less in advance.

EDIT: the funny thing about this Oct 6 rescheduling move is that it might end up proving completely unnecessary. This is the date of the play-in game (#5 AL seed @ #4 AL seed sudden-death single game) and at the rate the Jays are going — currently three games up on their next ranking divisional rival (Yankees) with 17 games left to play — they could win the division to finish among the top three AL seeds so the Jays would get a bye to the ALDS and not have to play on Oct 6. Moreover in this event, the likelihood increases of the Jays qualifying for the ALCS and the Argos would definitely have to vacate for ALCS Game 2 for sure, and if it gets to such point, also ALCS Game 6.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Argos will get a much bigger crowd and thus make more $ by turning a home game into an away game. This situation will no doubt piss off the Argo fans who now miss out on a home game and now have to watch their team on TV playing in a hostile environment. OTOH there aren't that many fans attending or a very friendly atmosphere when playing in TO.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:I'm absolutely gobsmacked that it never crossed anyone's mind, when they were drawing up the schedules, that there might be some sort of conflict. Yes it's been a generation since the Jays made the playoffs, but wouldn't even the worst teams take such a thing into account when planning schedules in multi-purpose facilities??
Are you putting the onus on the Jays or the Argos to have foreseen this?
Both, really. But in most markets you expect teams which share a facility to at least talk to each other once in a while. At Rogers, unfortunately, the relationship is toxic. I bet the Leafs and Raptors take the other's needs into consideration - at least for the rare occasions when one of them actually has playoff games :rotf:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The unfortunate thing is while it looks unlikely there would be an MLB WC game in TO on the 6th that could remain up in the air right up until the last day of the MLB season. The Argos and the CFL can't wait that late. They have to make the call now.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The unfortunate thing is while it looks unlikely there would be an MLB WC game in TO on the 6th that could remain up in the air right up until the last day of the MLB season. The Argos and the CFL can't wait that late. They have to make the call now.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.