Bombers vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote: hi Scott if you are in the Lions building you are probably a Lion fan. So no need to wear Lion gearif you want to cheer but I have greater respect for fans who wear the opposition colors. Not the ones laying in the weeds. Thnx Bb
I don't have any lions gear, except an old Detroit lions sweatshirt from the days of barry sanders.

If I was in an opposing teams stadium, would it be alright with you if I stood up and cheered on the lions?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Sorry Bob, I have to side with KIA on this one. There are probably plenty of Lions supporters in the building who don't wear orange; it doesn't mean they can't cheer for the Lions. Like I've said before, fans can be fans any way they want to be; no one gets to choose that for anyone else.

Speaking of wearing orange, did anyone notice in the Ssk/Ott game on Sunday, they showed this fan decked head to toe in orange? Not sure if it was Lions gear, but didn't look like it. He was on at least twice. First time was fairly close up, he was among, I dunno, four or five fans in a fairly tight shot. Then he was on again later, in a much wider shot showing at least 100 fans but you couldn't miss him surrounded by all the green-clad Rider faithful. An odd sight at Taylor Field with the Lions not visiting.
hi Scott if you are in the Lions building you are probably a Lion fan. So need to wear Lion gear but I have greater respect to fans who wear the opposition colors. Not the ones laying in the weeds. Thnx Bb
Well... if he's cheering then he's not hiding. Maybe he would be "hiding" if the Argos were getting smoked but then you wouldn't even know. I've been to games with friends who are fans of the other team and many of them often never bother to show their colours (prob don't even own any). Rival fans are no big deal one way or the other. They're buying a ticket, that helps my team's bottom line, that's good enough for me. Some probably avoid being too overt out of safety concerns, especially on a first visit or first time in a different section from usual. Fights have thankfully become a rarity at games from what I've observed but this hasn't always been the case and it only takes one a-hole to start something. I was with an Eskimo fan friend (in colours, pretty meek guy, too) on a night when we laid the boots to Edm. We're headed back up Robson and some jerk in Lions gear gets in my friend's face, trying to pick a fight with him for being an Edm fan. Thankfully he wandered away after that just as quickly as he arrived. So then I was all, "Wow, some guys just can't win with class." Had to say something to distance myself from that idiot.

Myself, I don't own any jerseys so if I wound up in a rival CFL city while the Lions visited I'd probably be like that Argo fan. I've never watched in another stadium so I can't say how overt I'd be in my Lion support. Would prob depend on other factors (if I'm there with other Lions fans, how threatening the locals in my section look, etc). To be frank I wouldn't expect heat just for not wearing Lions colours. I mean, I'd expect a bit of heat for being pro-Lion but that would happen anyway, colours or no. I wouldn't be looking to start anything trashtalk-wise with anyone. Main thing is, whatever side of that equation you're on, keep the language clean (bound to be kids around) and don't instigate altercations. I actually had fellow Lions fans jawing at me once because they were cheering on O. I tried advising them as calmly as possible against it but they took it all wrong (and they were probably drunk). They were still jawing a little later when the "SSSSSSSHHHHHH!!!! OFFENCE AT WORK" message flashed on the video board so without uttering a word I pointed to it as they jawed me. They looked over and got pretty sheepish about it; last I heard from them on the night.

Ahhh, enough rambling from me — over and out!
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I used to go to lions games in wpg during the 80's, and I even had the nerve to cheer for them, although I was quite drowned out by BC SUCKS. Sure glad no one took issue with me.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote: Sure glad no one took issue with me.
Ahh, the good ole days. :rotf:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:My view is if they're wearing stuff for the team that they're watching in person then overwhelmingly chances are they support that team. If they've got something from any other team then they're doing it for their own reasons. Reasons they don't have to defend to anybody.
I'd say there's more than a few who wear sports apparel for fashion purposes instead of being a fan for that team. Notable examples Vancouver throughout the last 35 years would be....In MLB, the New York Yankees cap are the most popular followed by a distance second by the cap for the Cleveland Indians and I doubt most them would be a huge fan of that team considering they had many hapless years with small exceptions. In the NBA in the 1990's everyone jumped on the bandwagon and started to wear Chicago Bulls clothing. And in the NFL wearing LA/Oakland Raiders jackets would mean that you're a gang wannabe given the association with street gang apparel.
Ballistic Bob wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Hi Just a pet peeve of mine when opposing fans cheer for the Lions opposition but not wearing any team colors. I got to yelling at a guy who was cheering for Toronto after a score or two or three. I told him if you are going to cheer get some bblue on. He didnt like my take on team cheering and said the usual lame comebacks. Thnx BB
Sorry Bob, I have to side with KIA on this one. There are probably plenty of Lions supporters in the building who don't wear orange; it doesn't mean they can't cheer for the Lions. Like I've said before, fans can be fans any way they want to be; no one gets to choose that for anyone else.

Speaking of wearing orange, did anyone notice in the Ssk/Ott game on Sunday, they showed this fan decked head to toe in orange? Not sure if it was Lions gear, but didn't look like it. He was on at least twice. First time was fairly close up, he was among, I dunno, four or five fans in a fairly tight shot. Then he was on again later, in a much wider shot showing at least 100 fans but you couldn't miss him surrounded by all the green-clad Rider faithful. An odd sight at Taylor Field with the Lions not visiting.
hi Scott if you are in the Lions building you are probably a Lion fan. So no need to wear Lion gearif you want to cheer but I have greater respect for fans who wear the opposition colors. Not the ones laying in the weeds. Thnx Bb
This goes to the point I've made a few times recently that Seahawks-Sounders-Mariners jerseys can be used interchangeably given their similar colour schemes that unfortunately Vancouver-based teams do not have that convenience.

Suppose there's a new Lions fan who does not have a Lions jersey yet and for the sake of support the local city's team, chooses to wear a blue Canucks jersey or a blue Whitecaps jersey or a blue UBC Thunderbirds jersey at a Lions game with the understanding that he is supporting Vancouver and Vancouver's sports team. That probably wouldn't sit well and would be misunderstood by fellow Lions fans when the Argonauts or Blue Bombers are in town. On the same token, wearing an orange Lions jersey may not sit well in a Whitecaps game when the Houston Dynamo are in town or in a Canucks game when the Philadelphia Flyers are in town.

And during the Super Bowl XLVIII on the streets of Vancouver, if you wore your orange Lions jersey then did that imply that you were supporting the Broncos since their uniforms more resemble the Lions colours compared to the Seahawks colours?
-------------

What I'm not too sure about though since Vancouver doesn't have this is when a large city has two pro sports teams in the same league - then is it okay to wear jerseys interchangeably to support the local team given the fact that they are in the same CITY? Typical examples being New York Yankees-Mets, New York Giants-Jets, New York Rangers-Islanders, Chicago White Sox-Cubs, Los Angeles Clippers-Lakers.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:I'd say there's more than a few who wear sports apparel for fashion purposes instead of being a fan for that team. ... [snip]
Your post greatly illustrates the vast degree of overthinking by those who make an issue of what other fans wear at games.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:I'd say there's more than a few who wear sports apparel for fashion purposes instead of being a fan for that team. ... [snip]
Your post greatly illustrates the vast degree of overthinking by those who make an issue of what other fans wear at games.
I wasn't specifically referring to sports games but rather, any public place including the streets and schools where there was definitely the macho issue if you wear Raiders jackets.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
I wasn't specifically referring to sports games but rather, any public place including the streets and schools where there was definitely the macho issue if you wear Raiders jackets.
It was in the context I referenced that this discussion had its genesis.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I have gone to games in other cities and go undercover to avoid hassles. Actually I don't wear any team stuff to Lion games. I just enjoy the game and keep to myself.

A few years ago on the train from the game in Calgary back downtown it's a good thing no Lion gear was in sight as their fans got into - a fight in a crowded car. It was crazy.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I have gone to games in other cities and go undercover to avoid hassles. Actually I don't wear any team stuff to Lion games. I just enjoy the game and keep to myself.

A few years ago on the train from the game in Calgary back downtown it's a good thing no Lion gear was in sight as their fans got into - a fight in a crowded car. It was crazy.
Stuff happens. Unfortunately sports can bring out some of the ugliest aspects of humanity. Soccer hooligans. Riots in the wake of championships (won and lost). Rider fans dumping in McCallum's driveway — or rather his neighbour's.

One wonders if — much like teams who are often said to take on the personality of their coaches — fans are taking on the personalities of the players who most frequently get into brushes with authority.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Stuff happens. Unfortunately sports can bring out some of the ugliest aspects of humanity. Soccer hooligans. Riots in the wake of championships (won and lost). Rider fans dumping in McCallum's driveway — or rather his neighbour's........
How true. Its not surprising, or a negative comment on ALL Lions fans, but the worst behaviour I've seen at Lions games have been by Lions fans wearing shirts, jersies, hats etc... Says something about the person wearing the clothes, not the clothes themselves and especially not the BC Lions.

While attending Operation Orange in Winnipeg last year, I had a friendly chat with a MEAN Bomber fan. He spent most of the warm-ups trying to hassle, bad-mouth and slag Paul McCallum. He actually seemed like a nice guy but he admitted to me, he just really, really, really enjoys bad mouthing and trying to get under the skin of oppossing teams players. Paul handled it like a true pro, on many different levels. When Paul retreated to the dressing room, the guy even admitted, I like him but I gotta bug him. He was quite proud of how MAD he'd made Paul, but I think all of this guys :puke: just rolled right off of McCallums back.....
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The gear does not make the person behave badly. But much like some models of guns, it does seem that the gear can often appeal to the type that likes to behave badly. You could say the same about Pit Bulls, Choppers or anything cool when it comes right down to it. I have seen and experienced first hand the kinds of nonsense that people sporting their team jersey are willing to do. Taunting other fans, physical confrontations, attempts to belittle and berate. For that reason, I will not wear a team jersey in another stadium anymore. It simply isn't worth inviting that kind of attention. At best you can ignore it, at worst, you don't and then you can buy yourself a parcel of trouble for yourself that you neither wanted nor sought. I have never come so close to decking someone as I did when I wore a Lions jersey to a game a Commonwealth. I won't put myself in that kind of temptation again.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Stuff happens. Unfortunately sports can bring out some of the ugliest aspects of humanity. Soccer hooligans. Riots in the wake of championships (won and lost). Rider fans dumping in McCallum's driveway — or rather his neighbour's........
How true. Its not surprising, or a negative comment on ALL Lions fans, but the worst behaviour I've seen at Lions games have been by Lions fans wearing shirts, jersies, hats etc... Says something about the person wearing the clothes, not the clothes themselves and especially not the BC Lions.

While attending Operation Orange in Winnipeg last year, I had a friendly chat with a MEAN Bomber fan. He spent most of the warm-ups trying to hassle, bad-mouth and slag Paul McCallum. He actually seemed like a nice guy but he admitted to me, he just really, really, really enjoys bad mouthing and trying to get under the skin of oppossing teams players. Paul handled it like a true pro, on many different levels. When Paul retreated to the dressing room, the guy even admitted, I like him but I gotta bug him. He was quite proud of how MAD he'd made Paul, but I think all of this guys :puke: just rolled right off of McCallums back.....
Paul was probably already playing pro when that guy was still in diapers. Wasn't that the game where we clobbered Wpg and our guys were mugging for the cameras: "Call in the military, etc"?

Your story reminds me of something I heard from a Wpg gamecast many years ago (Cal Murphy era). I might have mentioned this before but worth repeating. Seems there was one year where, for whatever reason, the Bombers decided to invert the team bench assignments from how they'd had it since the earth cooled. It wasn't until LONG after they'd renewed their seats for the year that this news reached some of the hardcore STHs who sat behind what used to be the visitors' bench. So they show up behind what is now Wpg's bench and rip into CM, complaining they could no longer razz the visitors.

I don't think there's anything wrong with heckling visitors per se, but there is a line you shouldn't cross. Throwing projectiles, bigoted slurs, clowning recent deaths in the player's family, stuff like that. I suppose much of that stuff would have been commonplace in an earlier time and some of it no doubt still happens (bananas thrown at black athletes is one we still hear about at times). But just as we're seeing now with greater awareness of the impact of concussions and a higher demand for league accountability in disciplining problem players, I would hope things are evolving on that front as well. You can still try to get under a player's skin but be creative and don't do anything that could get you kicked out of the building. This is something that could draw added focus if and when Michael Sam gets himself into the gameday lineup. I suspect that he himself would probably handle the... er, shall we just say predictable stuff, much like PMcC shrugged off that Wpg guy, but the court of public opinion will likely come down hard on such targeted behaviour.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My seats are directly behind the visitors' bench. Nowadays there are far less heckling the visitors than it used to be. You should hear what the fans were saying to the visitors back in the days of Empire Stadium. Some of the comments were funny as hell.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I sit on the visitors side too and its cool for lots of reasons.

Every so often you get a player trying to yank our chains. Some of us go for the bait but the wise amongst us wait until that same player makes a mistake in our area and THEN WE LET HIM HAVE IT! This season it was a player from Montreal (London?). Brandon London, I think. He dropped a ball thrown his way, IIRC, it would have been a tough catch, but OUR SECTION let him have it REGARDLESS based on his pre-game mouthing off....

You do get to see fans of the other teams and you get it. These people love a football team, its just happens to be the football team MY favourite team is playing. I have no problem whatsoever, taking photos for these friendly type fans, so they are in the foreground and their team warming up in the background.

My favourite part of it is seeing the visiting families of CFL players. I mean these often almost UNKOWN CFL players and they come over to chat with their mom/dad prior or just after the game. Its cool to talk with these types of people. I got to have a similar conversation on the Ottawa Operation Orange trip with the Mother/Father/Sister of a current BC Lion. This family had done a five hour drive to get to see their son play as a Lion in Ottawa. They were able to ride in our bus to/from the game in Ottawa and were staying at the same hotel as the Lions were.

I got to meet Andrew Harris' Mom on our trip to Winnipeg. She wanted her picture taken with our entire Operation Orange crew!

I got to chat with Justin Medlock's family prior to a game when he was suiting up for the Argos. Gives you another side, another perspective. These guys are doing something they love but they have loved ones that will go on and cheer them on in whatever city they are playing in.

I am not sure how things were in the past but I think football is a fraternity now. Obviously you have to beat out other guys to win your job and your team has to beat other teams in order to be successful but REGARDLESS of all of that, there is a connection, a shared experience that the players, coaches and their families must have. I just think its neat seeing that more human, non-football side when the players come over gushing with pride to all the love their get from their families who've often must have felt a little uncomfortable wearing the 'wrong colours' into the stadium.....