Bombers vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

After a torrid start, Bombers are in a bit of a slump having lost 4 of their last 5 games. Lions are also in a funk having not scored a touchdown in their last 2 games. Crucial game for the Lions; win they tie the Bombers in the season series and widen the gap between the two teams. Lions need to re-establish home field dominance at BC Place. Hope Chuck McMann have their boys ready to play on Special Teams. You can bet Mike O'Shea will have a trick play up their sleeve.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I've always enjoyed Bomber games, especially since we faced off in the last Grey Cup held here. It is really cool having back where they belong in the West. Battling the Bombers for a playoff spot? Can't think of a better way to see where this team really is.

I'm betting the final score will not be another 7-5 scenario, even though both defences should play well. I do hope I get to see Harris and Logan make use of a solid Oline but I guess I'll have to wait see.....

My pick is Lions by a field goal in a low scoring game.....
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:After a torrid start, Bombers are in a bit of a slump having lost 4 of their last 5 games. Lions are also in a funk having not scored a touchdown in their last 2 games. Crucial game for the Lions; win they tie the Bombers in the season series and widen the gap between the two teams. Lions need to re-establish home field dominance at BC Place. Hope Chuck McMann have their boys ready to play on Special Teams. You can bet Mike O'Shea will have a trick play up their sleeve.
Yet the Lions are 7 point favourites, how does that happen when you can't score a TD?

Lions had better win the battle of the ground attacks, as both teams will want to establish that. The team that can continue drives due to their running game, will win this game IMO. If you can't sustain drives on the ground, then the OL is going to have trouble keeping the LB's off the QB.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:After a torrid start, Bombers are in a bit of a slump having lost 4 of their last 5 games. Lions are also in a funk having not scored a touchdown in their last 2 games. Crucial game for the Lions; win they tie the Bombers in the season series and widen the gap between the two teams. Lions need to re-establish home field dominance at BC Place. Hope Chuck McMann have their boys ready to play on Special Teams. You can bet Mike O'Shea will have a trick play up their sleeve.
Yet the Lions are 7 point favourites, how does that happen when you can't score a TD?

Lions had better win the battle of the ground attacks, as both teams will want to establish that. The team that can continue drives due to their running game, will win this game IMO. If you can't sustain drives on the ground, then the OL is going to have trouble keeping the LB's off the QB.
“But that’s got nothing to do with what we’ve done all year. When we have our best five players I believe our line is as good as anybody. Jovan and Dean need to step up and be men.” -- Wally Buono
Wally called out Jovan Olafioye and Dean Valli "to step up and be men." Shocking comment. Not good when the GM feels he has to rip two soldiers to shake up a sad sack group in desperate need of leadership. The confidence level of this group is about as low as a snake's belly. And yet pride might kick in. The athletes might find ways to simplify things in their own minds. Shake off the cobwebs and the confusion. And, as Angus Reid pointed out, a simple scheme can be put in with about an hour of work. Angle right. Angle left. Get physical. Keep it simple. Sweep that D Line to one side. Get The Great Buffalo Dance rolling, as I described it in the days of Joe Smith. Opens up huge cutback lanes.

We will see. One always has hopes, until the door to the title is closed.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
ziggy
Legend

I'm concerned that the Bombers will shut down the short passing game and we will be toast! I don't believe we've shown an effective deep, or even intermediate pass game so far! Unless that changes the Bombers D will crowd the line and take away the short pass and run game and the results will be same old same old.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wally called out Jovan Olafioye and Dean Valli "to step up and be men." Shocking comment. Not good when the GM feels he has to rip two soldiers to shake up a sad sack group in desperate need of leadership.
Who's team is this ? One would expect the comment to be coming from the Head Coach and not the GM
David
Team Captain

Maybe there was method to Andrew Harris's "we aim to get 250 rushing yards" madness (I don't know how else to describe bulletin board material for such a big game). Since it was said on Monday with reporters around (who, incidentally, said, "are you sure that you want this on the record, Andrew? Just checking" - to which he allegedly replied, "yes"), maybe he wanted the running game to be a focus this week and in a way, it was a challenge for the coaches and O-line to make this a priority. Just a thought.

I really hope there was thought and strategy behind it rather than brain-dead bravado. Predictably, this is getting big play in Winnipeg.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
leo4life
All Star

Its still Wallys team...last season when the run was going no where he made Chap & Dorazio change the blocking scheme...Chap gone and nothings changed! Its actually gotten worse
notahomer
Hall of Famer

“But that’s got nothing to do with what we’ve done all year. When we have our best five players I believe our line is as good as anybody. Jovan and Dean need to step up and be men.” -- Wally Buono
WestCoastJoe wrote:.....Wally called out Jovan Olafioye and Dean Valli "to step up and be men." .....
What the heck does that mean? (not asking you WCJ, asking Buono). I could saying 'screw the plan, I ain't doing what I know won't work but I'll get blamed for it anyways, so I'll just do what I want' as being a man, I guess. I know that not following orders doesn't work and probably shouldn't be tolerated but how many times must the blame be constantly laid at the players feet, yet the plan stays the same. Play to the strengths of your current roster because making them into what they are not IS NOT WORKING and probably never will. IMO, part of being a man (HU-man actually :cool: ) is being able to admit you've made mistakes and try to fix them. It seems the coaching staff is willing to admit PLAYERS made mistakes but thats that....
MexicoLionFan
Legend

David made a great point in Blitz pre game post, the last time the Lion's O had any kind of decent success, was at CGY...they did nothing for most of the game, and then they started running the receivers down the field vertically and began checking down to Harris, who had tons of room to make plays...this can't happen when all your receivers are 5 yards off the ball...if we don't run a vertical passing game, WPG will just continue CHEATING against our O and shut down the LOS and the crossing routes...Someone on this team MUST SEE THIS and hopefully we will adjust and be ready.

Joe as for Wally's comments, WOW...just wow...as TLK said, whose team is this, and as Nota said, why would ANYONE on the Lions rip these 2 veterans, who have given their collective hearts and souls and KEPT SILENT about what a crap system they play within, which makes them look pretty awful.

As I said earlier, losing might very well be the best thing that happens for our franchise as it is clear that this will be the ONLY WAY Wally makes changes to the coaches. Right now, Wally has to side with MB as it was Wally who, for NO REASON AT ALL, gave MB a contract extension this past offseason...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: As I said earlier, losing might very well be the best thing that happens for our franchise as it is clear that this will be the ONLY WAY Wally makes changes to the coaches. Right now, Wally has to side with MB as it was Wally who, for NO REASON AT ALL, gave MB a contract extension this past offseason...
Sadly, I must agree. Chapdelaine was fired because the Lions brass FINALLY realize they can't sell him to the buying public for another year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Andre Proulx and his crew for tonight's game
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Glenn need to get rid of the football. Frustrating
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bighill comes the blitz and the Bombers run to the area vacated.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Smith takes a bonehead RtP penalty, then atones on the next play by stripping the ball from Grigsby, recovered by Bighill. Defence needs to make more plays like the latter.