Bombers vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
I noticed one guy wearing, in addition to a Lions jersey, an Atlanta Braves hat and carrying some sort of bag with a NY Knicks logo on it.
That's the sports fashion faux pas that is like nails on chalkboard to me. Mixing the gear!

On TV (Argos game on Friday)the camera flashed on a guy wearing a Broncos jersey and a Blue Jays hat (backwards, just to emphasize the douche factor I guess). Wear what you like, of course (at least he came out to game, so kudos etc.) but that one makes my eye twitch like Chief Inspector Dreyfus.

If I'm throwing on a Lions T even to walk the dog around the neighbourhood and need a hat (sunny/rainy) I MUST wear a Lions hat even though I have many many other team hats of one stripe or other. Fortunately I have about 15 or 20 Lions hats, so I don't have to look too hard!

Yesterday a guy came into our office (client) wearing a Winnipeg Jets jersey and a Calgary Flames hat. Just a tiny internal silent scream, that's all.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I sit on the visitors side too and its cool for lots of reasons.

Every so often you get a player trying to yank our chains. Some of us go for the bait but the wise amongst us wait until that same player makes a mistake in our area and THEN WE LET HIM HAVE IT! This season it was a player from Montreal (London?). Brandon London, I think. He dropped a ball thrown his way, IIRC, it would have been a tough catch, but OUR SECTION let him have it REGARDLESS based on his pre-game mouthing off....

You do get to see fans of the other teams and you get it. These people love a football team, its just happens to be the football team MY favourite team is playing. I have no problem whatsoever, taking photos for these friendly type fans, so they are in the foreground and their team warming up in the background.

My favourite part of it is seeing the visiting families of CFL players. I mean these often almost UNKOWN CFL players and they come over to chat with their mom/dad prior or just after the game. Its cool to talk with these types of people. I got to have a similar conversation on the Ottawa Operation Orange trip with the Mother/Father/Sister of a current BC Lion. This family had done a five hour drive to get to see their son play as a Lion in Ottawa. They were able to ride in our bus to/from the game in Ottawa and were staying at the same hotel as the Lions were.

I got to meet Andrew Harris' Mom on our trip to Winnipeg. She wanted her picture taken with our entire Operation Orange crew!

I got to chat with Justin Medlock's family prior to a game when he was suiting up for the Argos. Gives you another side, another perspective. These guys are doing something they love but they have loved ones that will go on and cheer them on in whatever city they are playing in.

I am not sure how things were in the past but I think football is a fraternity now. Obviously you have to beat out other guys to win your job and your team has to beat other teams in order to be successful but REGARDLESS of all of that, there is a connection, a shared experience that the players, coaches and their families must have. I just think its neat seeing that more human, non-football side when the players come over gushing with pride to all the love their get from their families who've often must have felt a little uncomfortable wearing the 'wrong colours' into the stadium.....

NAH's point here about the CFL and kind of a fraternity in a way is true as the team numbers are small and unlike the NFL they get to know each other.

Players respect other pros (most do) as they know the sacrifices each other must make (family, away from home, tough, long season and tough games) and no guarantee of a spot or loyalty from their club. Rob Murphy - quoted in the Province about Dorazio's coaching and how he's like his second dad - said it himself how shocked he was to see players on other teams talking and hugging each other and where he came from in the NFL that was not normal, routine behaviour. He changed his thinking overtime but it was a culture shock to him.

It does not mean that some teams will plain flat out not like another team based on somethings that happen in games - like real consistent, out to hurt someone, dirty play or over the line banter or sheer arrogance. Or a player just has that hatred and disrespect for one guy. This is very normal in all sports. Some teams are just plain dirty. Some teams just hate certain coaches thus their teams.

I think fan banter is fine at the players (within reasonable bounds) as that goes with the turf of being a pro but for me they should leave opposing fans out of it. Who cares if they are in their stadium as others note. They bought a ticket like them - leave 'em alone.

Coaching senior mens' soccer - the games that I'd really get up for were games like vs Van. Firefighters at Clinton Park when that team actually had real firefighters on it and they'd have a loyal following of a few hundred beer drinking fans and there'd be fire trucks from nearby halls there watching and blowing horns/sirens at goals. Their fans were all over the refs, opponents and me (but friendly) and the games and atmosphere always fantastic and memorable - even from the early 1990s. The park was mostly dirt, the game ball old and barely legit but that was how THEY dictated it. They could get the best field in Vancouver but they didn't want it as Clinton was the confluence of their fan base - eastsiders - and many nearby fire halls. Refs intimidated not by threats but banter added to the intrigue. But their players were always fine in victory or defeat - at least the top 2 - Premier and Div 1 were.

I like the Phil Jackson idea of respect for the game, the opponent, etc.

The gay slur tossed at Bo Levi heard on TSN by the ESK DB beaten for a TD produced a denunciation by even his team mates. The ESK DB was contrite but he was not defended by the ESKS GM or his team. I saw JC Sherrit and some other ESK on TSN saying it was wrong. Sherrit said if something like that was said in the locker room about gays, etc the team would shut that down immediately. He made it abundantly clear that this stuff does not get said in an Esk locker room even behind closed doors. It was a pretty clear explicit statement. There was no attempt to dismiss the heat of the moment epithet as to Sherrit - a star - it is simply not okay. I thought that clip and those sentiments whether it is a race, sexual orientation or other bad stuff should be part of a CFL ad. Soccer (FIFA) does the anti racism stuff and still fans get it wrong.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
I noticed one guy wearing, in addition to a Lions jersey, an Atlanta Braves hat and carrying some sort of bag with a NY Knicks logo on it.
That's the sports fashion faux pas that is like nails on chalkboard to me. Mixing the gear!

On TV (Argos game on Friday)the camera flashed on a guy wearing a Broncos jersey and a Blue Jays hat (backwards, just to emphasize the douche factor I guess). Wear what you like, of course (at least he came out to game, so kudos etc.) but that one makes my eye twitch like Chief Inspector Dreyfus.

If I'm throwing on a Lions T even to walk the dog around the neighbourhood and need a hat (sunny/rainy) I MUST wear a Lions hat even though I have many many other team hats of one stripe or other. Fortunately I have about 15 or 20 Lions hats, so I don't have to look too hard!

Yesterday a guy came into our office (client) wearing a Winnipeg Jets jersey and a Calgary Flames hat. Just a tiny internal silent scream, that's all.
This is one of those topics that often gets discussed on many chatboards and blogs. And there are as many different opinions on "sports fashion rules" as there are self-appointed experts who espouse them. I checked out a few of them since this topic came up on here to refresh myself on some of the more commonly discussed nuances.

Some will say it's only appropriate to wear team jerseys at the game or in a sports bar and absolutely nowhere else, while others say they can worn practically anywhere. Some will have strong views on whether or not they should be tucked in, or whether they should be worn only with shorts. Some feel it's fine if the jersey lacks a number or nameplate; others insist this is gauche, or that the nameplate "by-laws" dictate that it should be present or absent in accordance with the practices of the team (and era) to which the jersey pertains. Putting your own name on the nameplate is endorsed by some, frowned on by others.

There are disagreements over whether it's acceptable to wear jerseys of retired players, and even over what constitutes valid exceptions to this "rule", depending on various criteria (for which of course there is no consensus) that the retiree in question must satisfy. And of course, there are conflicts over what level of "mixing" is allowed. Some say items from different teams in the same market can be worn together, some are adamant that you can only wear stuff from one team regardless, and others go even farther, that you can't mix stuff from different eras even if it's the same team.

There are even some who regard wearing jerseys as kid stuff, that anyone over 20/30/40/(whatever age) who wears one is an Overgrown Manchild who

(A) hasn't accepted that his dream of playing for his favourite sports team is never going to happen, or
(B) is a loser who has nothing going for him in his own life, so he has to adopt the identity of a Group of Arbitrarily Assembled Young Men who happen to play a game together in a stadium in close proximity to the residence of said OM and thereby live vicariously through whatever accomplishments can be mustered from said GAAYM, or
(C) both (A) and (B).

Some might adopt the Jeremy Piven school of thought, that wearing a jersey to the game is "trying too hard".

This sheer variety of opinions over the "rules" of sports fashion tells me that all of the above is one huge pile of bull *poop*, and that it's a debate engaged in mostly by people who like the sound of their own voices.

Let's go back to our Lions/Braves/Knicks friend. Chances are none of us on here, not even myself, know anything about him other than the one sentence above that I wrote. So I feel we're not in a position to judge him. L4E, you say you have over a dozen Lion hats, which is fine. Good on ya for supporting the team like that. But for all we know this guy could be living a low income life and only has that one Braves hat to his name, one that someone probably gave him. Or not. Maybe it once belonged to his best friend who was killed by a drunk driver and he likes to wear it to keep his friend's memory alive. The point is, it doesn't matter why he wears it. He has no one to answer to for doing so.

He might listen to your dogwalking anecdote and say you're a bit OCD to insist on such level of matching. And I'd defend you to him in reverse, in analogous fashion. You don't have to answer to him, either.

Let me quote something I wrote previously in this thread. You've no doubt already read it but it bears repeating for a broader point I want to make.
...there are degrees of fandom — and I see no need to get into value judgements of what constitutes an acceptable level of CFL/BC Lions fandom. Especially when we never fill the building, even in a reduced capacity configuration. AFAIC it serves little purpose but to alienate those who don't measure up to these arbitrary standards, which in the long run does nothing to build attendance. As fans ourselves who want to see the game thrive, I believe our outlook should be more inclusive.
I'm repeating this because WADR I find your views on sports fashion counterproductive. Here's the thing: you've lamented (as have many of us, including myself) that crowds @BCP aren't what they could be. But suppose this guy in the Braves hat were to venture onto this board. Maybe he's a relatively new fan of the team — one who would help in overcoming these attendance shortfalls — and he just wants to chat with other Lions fans. He would probably feel insulted and alienated to hear comments like yours and decide being a Lions fan and buying tickets just isn't worth it. And so the cycle of lagging crowds continues. As some of the most devoted Lions fans there are, I feel we should assume more of an ambassador role if we want to see the bigger crowds that so often fail to materialise.

Who's with me?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

We have to acknowledge how far we've come as a market and how much sports fandom has changed in recent years. Ten or 15 years ago, it was far less common to dress in team gear to attend games. Now B.C. Place Stadium is a sea of orange for Lion games, as it was for the 2011 Grey Cup, when visiting fans in their colours were quite visible around town and outside the stadium but were almost lost in the sea of orange inside.

We also have to acknowledge that casual fans are far less likely to own or dress in team gear, but they are the fans who are vital to the team's future. I wouldn't criticize those who don't wear CFL gear. I teased the friend I mentioned earlier in the thread who twice showed UP for Bomber games at B.C. Place this year wearing his favourite blue t-shirt but he's just one of those people who doesn't think of what he's wearing, as long as it's clean and comfortable. And he did change into something more neutral both times before using my extra ticket.

I never wear team gear when I attend occasional NHL, NFL, MLB or NBA games. I don't have much gear for those leagues, and I don't often bring the few items I have when I travel. My only regret is that I had a St. Louis Cardinals t-shirt in my luggage when I went to one of their road games in Milwaukee this summer but didn't wear it for fear of sticking out and being ostracized as a visiting fan. I realized my misjudgment when I pulled into the parking lot. There were at least 10,000 people in St. Louis colours in the stadium, and many of them proudly tailgated before the game.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

The only jerseys I've ever had are an Argos 21 (Terry Metcalf at the time) with no name, and an old Habs jersey from maybe 60s or so which I got at a rummage sale in the mid 80s. It had no name or number on it though ir looked like at one point it may have had Lafleur on it. Late 70s when I had the Argos one was the first time I ever saw someone with a name jersey (Houston Oilers 34, Earl Campbell). I know there are a few people here that are into collecting jerseys, but I never got the idea of wearing someone else's name on my back. If I ever got one i would want just a number and likely a retired one (and maybe a retro jersey at that).
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:...., but I never got the idea of wearing someone else's name on my back. If I ever got one i would want just a number and likely a retired one (and maybe a retro jersey at that).
I ordered my FIRST Lions jersey with my name on the back......

Others have done the same thing and the number they used was the year they were born, for e.g.

At the same time, although I have jersies, the practice ones are the most comfortable for me to wear to games as they have NO NAME OR NUMBER.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
sj-roc wrote:

What if it's attire that may have conflicting colours but is at least consistent with the city that the sports teams are based in? At least that person is very consistent to the teams' city.

I posted this picture once before and I'll post it again after seven years. Is this man well dressed?

If there was ever a term for the "triple crown of football", then they city of Vancouver won that special title and honour in 2006 when first the Whitecaps women won the W-League championship, then the Whitecaps men won the USL-1 championship, and finally the Lions won the Grey Cup. As an added bonus, even though the Canucks didn't do all that well the Vancouver Giants also won the WHL championship earlier that year. :rockin:

At the risk of wearing unmatching colours, he wants to show that he loves all the local "football" teams by wearing a BC Lions jacket while wearing a Whitecaps scarf and carrying both Whitecaps trophy in front of a large Whitecaps background and if he had additional arms he would have loved to carry the Grey Cup and the Ed Chynoweth Cup as well. :cool:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:What if it's attire that may have conflicting colours but is at least consistent with the city that the sports teams are based in?
Didn't you read my last post? I covered this already.
This sheer variety of opinions over the "rules" of sports fashion tells me that all of the above is one huge pile of bull *poop*, and that it's a debate engaged in mostly by people who like the sound of their own voices.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Well I suppose it might be a bit odd at this stage to revive a game day thread from last season but this is one that outgrew the game by turning into a discussion on the supposed protocol for wearing team apparel, whether attending the game or otherwise. I won't bother repeating my views on this topic as they haven't changed from what I already posted in this thread several months ago and it's all here to read anew if anyone wants a refresher.

I'm bumping this because I just saw on The Onion a recent article (yes, I know it's fake) that basically sends up all of these unwritten and not always consensus rules:

Report: Fan Chose To Buy Team’s Away Jersey
Report: Fan Chose To Buy Team’s Away Jersey
Sports News in Brief • Sports • football • NFL Football • ISSUE 51•01 • Jan 9, 2015

GREEN BAY, WI—Reports from Lambeau Field confirmed Sunday that a local Green Bay Packers fan, for whatever reason, evidently decided to at some point buy and now wear the team’s away jersey instead of its traditional green-and-gold jersey. “I don’t know why he didn’t just get the home one—he’s the only person at the game not wearing it,” said 29-year-old onlooker Alex Zimmer, noting that the Packers’ white away jersey is practically indistinguishable from every other team’s away jersey, all of which are also white. “It’s not like the away looks that much better or is any cheaper than the regular one. And I think he got it customized with his own name on the back, because that definitely isn’t the name of anyone on the team. Why not just get Aaron Rodgers or Clay Matthews? Seriously, what the hell is wrong with this guy?” Baffled sources later added that based on the stitching, the jersey appears to be authentic, meaning the idiot must have reportedly blown at least 300 bucks on that *frig* thing.
So this guy is wearing a $300 jersey, and supposedly breaking a cardinal nameplate rule in the process, and his fellow fans are basically questioning his fan credentials. Just the sort of thing you'd expect from The Onion. LOL
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Yes it's the Onion but not many people get irony nowadays. People read Syrup Trap or Daily Currant or listen to This is That and think it's real and get outraged. Some people probably take "rules" like that seriously.

FWIW, what is wrong with wearing an away jersey? If someone is colour blind (or stupid) enough not to tell them apart just because it's white then who cares. And it wasn't long ago, and it was for a couple of decades at least, that the NHL used whites as home jerseys.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:Yes it's the Onion but not many people get irony nowadays. People read Syrup Trap or Daily Currant or listen to This is That and think it's real and get outraged. Some people probably take "rules" like that seriously.

FWIW, what is wrong with wearing an away jersey?
If someone is colour blind (or stupid) enough not to tell them apart just because it's white then who cares. And it wasn't long ago, and it was for a couple of decades at least, that the NHL used whites as home jerseys.
Agreed — that's exactly the point of this satirical article.

The NHL has gone back and forth on home/away jerseys. A long, long time ago they had used colours for home and whites for away, then reversed for some reason by about the 1970s. Now they've reverted again. From what I understand, the main reason for this latest switch was the proliferation of third jerseys, worn at home and invariably coloured. This forced visitors into contrasting whites, so teams on multi-game road trips had to travel with both sets of jerseys to be prepared for this. This became a sufficiently complicating logistical factor to the point that the league opted to reverse the jersey convention allowing teams to travel with only one (white) set of jerseys.

Logistically, it's somewhat like what happens in CFL preseason whereby half the teams are assigned colours and the other half are assigned whites for all (well, both) of its preseason games regardless where they play them. With the roster volatility of preseason, you're already tailoring jerseys for a lot of players who will get cut after playing just one game, so what's the point of basically doubling your workload to satisfy such ephemeral needs?