Practice Roster

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ballhawk
Legend

Very sorry to hear that Tuninei and Hardy-Tuliau were released from the Lions Practice Roster today. It's tough for these young guys after being on it from the beginning of the season in June (Tuinei since July). Wish them well. Lokombo takes a spot.

Odd though, accoding to the new CBA - Practice Roster: Each club may have a practice roster consisting of a maximum of seven 7 players in accordance with the following terms and conditions:
At least 1 place on the practice roster shall be filled by a national player (other than a national player who was a candidate in the current year CFL Canadian Draft, who is not the property of another CFL club);
If 7 places are used by a member club on it’s practice roster, at least 1 place on the practice roster shall also be filled by a national player who was a candidate in the current year CFL Canadian Draft, who is not the property of another CFL club.;
Expands practice rosters from seven to ten players per team and, come the Fall, from 12 to 15 players.

So it appears that come September, 15 spots on PR are available.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
Rammer
Team Captain

ballhawk wrote:Very sorry to hear that Tuninei and Hardy-Tuliau were released from the Lions Practice Roster today. It's tough for these young guys after being on it from the beginning of the season in June (Tuinei since July). Wish them well. Lokombo takes a spot.

Odd though, accoding to the new CBA - Practice Roster: Each club may have a practice roster consisting of a maximum of seven 7 players in accordance with the following terms and conditions:
At least 1 place on the practice roster shall be filled by a national player (other than a national player who was a candidate in the current year CFL Canadian Draft, who is not the property of another CFL club);
If 7 places are used by a member club on it’s practice roster, at least 1 place on the practice roster shall also be filled by a national player who was a candidate in the current year CFL Canadian Draft, who is not the property of another CFL club.;
Expands practice rosters from seven to ten players per team and, come the Fall, from 12 to 15 players.

So it appears that come September, 15 spots on PR are available.
It isn't due to the SMS, with Lulay going the 6 game IL for 14 of the 18 games, the Lions have a ton of SMS room. The players that are performing, can expect to see a healthy bonus cheque in lieu of a new contract. Maybe leave some room for a top end FA in place of that funding...

I liked what I saw in Hardy-Tuliau, but it is strange to know that we have the cash to spend on an expanded roster and he departs now...wonder what happened.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rodu
Champion

I'd like to bring in a couple DT's to try and groom for a shot at starting next year. Taylor and Mitchell are the same style of player and both north of 30. I would like to just keep one of them and get some youth, speed and pass rush to replace the other
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tuninei and Hardy-Tuliau may have been released to make room for other players in for a look see. They may have been signed to contracts for next year.
ballhawk
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Tuninei and Hardy-Tuliau may have been released to make room for other players in for a look see. They may have been signed to contracts for next year.
This may indeed be true, but are not 15 players allowed in the PR come September according to the new CBA? By cutting Tuninei and Hardy-Tuliau, the Lions remain at 10 on the PR.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

ballhawk wrote:So it appears that come September, 15 spots on PR are available.
I believe that PR expansion doesn't happen until early October, close to Thanksgiving. It used to be mid-September but was moved to early October either last year or the year before.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.