Bo knows Lions - Lokombo in the fold.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

firstandgoal wrote:Good news! We certainly need some. Welcome to the program, Bo.!

By the way, I noticed Danny Watkins is no longer on the Dolphins roster. Has he surfaced somewhere else or may we (hopefully) see another signing?
Watkins was cast loose by Miami several months ago. They only signed him for 1 year last September and never offered him a new deal before NFL free agency kicked in. So he's been an NFL FA since February or March. There was discussion about him back then but the speculation seemed to be that he probably is done with football.
Last edited by Hambone on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

He looked good at the NFL combine but NFL teams wouldn't touch him because he's coming off labrum surgery. If he can survive half a season on special teams without further injury to his shoulder, he may have a chance on defence. Until that happens, I have no expectations.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:No chance he plays LB for us unless we are desperate with injuries. He plays special teams with next 2 years, and maybe tries out a safety.
LB is an american position, because if a guy gets hurt, you need a really really good back up basically just good to step in.
Glenn Jackson, Kevin Konar, Greg Findlay, Pete Palmer
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:If Lokombo turns out to be a very good linebacker then it would free the Lions up to play him rather than Jamal Johnson on both defense and special teams...and that would be a real advantage ratio wise. The linebacker spot might not happen until next season but Jamal Johnson may only be a Leo for this season only.
This. The guy had a fairly impressive body of work in Oregon. Hype is hype to this point, but this seems to be a ceiling to shoot for.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Hambone wrote:
firstandgoal wrote:Good news! We certainly need some. Welcome to the program, Bo.!

By the way, I noticed Danny Watkins is no longer on the Dolphins roster. Has he surfaced somewhere else or may we (hopefully) see another signing?
Watkins was cast loose by Miami several months ago. They only signed him for 1 year last September and never offered him a new deal before NFL free agency kicked in. So he's been an NFL FA since February or March. There was discussion about him back then but the speculation seemed to be that he probably is done with football.
A couple weeks ago, I read that Watkins is retired from football, working as a firefighter in Texas. Farhan maybe???
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Qman wrote:No chance he plays LB for us unless we are desperate with injuries. He plays special teams with next 2 years, and maybe tries out a safety.
LB is an american position, because if a guy gets hurt, you need a really really good back up basically just good to step in.
More recently, Javier Glatt. Albeit maybe not the most shining example.
Rodu
Champion

Bo is 6'3, on the taller end for a LB in this league, any chance he converts to a rush end type? Many import ends were LB's down south.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:Bo is 6'3, on the taller end for a LB in this league, any chance he converts to a rush end type? Many import ends were LB's down south.
IMO ... Size-wise Bo might be fine as a rush end in the CFL.
53 Bazzie, Alex DT International 6.01 228 1990-08-05 Marshall

8 Lokombo, Bo LB National 6.02 233 1990-10-15 Oregon
But, IMO rush end skills/instincts are pretty much innate, as are running back skills/instincts. IMO they cannot be taught. I would suggest that the hunt and catch instincts as a run tackler of Solomon Elimimian also cannot be taught. Can be refined and coached, but the athletic instincts have to be there.

Who knows what skills Bo has at this point? Did well at Oregon. Has tremendous athletic talent.

Should be a solid addition to our team, in some capacity, at the very least as an ST player, with some LB reps, at some point.

IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Ancient history in an era with smaller rosters and no DI's. There have been a few very good NI LB's in the last 10 years but it's a bit early to predict this young guy will be the next great player.
Rodu
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Rodu wrote:Bo is 6'3, on the taller end for a LB in this league, any chance he converts to a rush end type? Many import ends were LB's down south.
IMO ... Size-wise Bo might be fine as a rush end in the CFL.

But, IMO rush end skills/instincts are pretty much innate, as are running back skills/instincts. IMO they cannot be taught. I would suggest that the hunt and catch instincts as a run tackler of Solomon Elimimian also cannot be taught. Can be refined and coached, but the athletic instincts have to be there.

Who knows what skills Bo has at this point? Did well at Oregon. Has tremendous athletic talent.

Should be a solid addition to our team, in some capacity, at the very least as an ST player, with some LB reps, at some point.

IMO ...
if he can start, should be good enough for me, freeing up another import elsewhere
South Pender
Legend

It doesn't seem to me that Bo has been over-hyped. Just the usual enthusiasm that accompanies the signing (or, earlier, the potential signing) of a really good prospect. Even coming off shoulder surgery, Bo was rated more highly by NFL draft scouts than both Elimimian and Bighill. So, the way I see it, we're getting the equivalent of a solid international but with a Canadian passport. Here is what one observer wrote:

"Bottom Line
A run-and-chase, strong-side linebacker with speed that could easily be utilized on the weak side or allow him to develop as a nickel-cover linebacker. Does not possess ideal toughness or instincts for special teams. Canadian-born prospect could be most highly coveted by the CFL."

A draft scout, after pointing out that Bo would be sought after by the CFL, noted;

"If the highly athletic linebacker can continue his big-play ways...his future lies in the NFL not the CFL."

Frankly, he seems to me to be a bit too light, at 225 lbs., to be an effective rush end (but Alex Bazzie isn't much heavier, so who knows?). His really excellent speed (4.62--pre-combine--in the 40--about the same as Bighill), along with real athleticism, though, makes him a natural OLB.

Perhaps we'll see him introduced slowly to the Lions' roster, beginning with some ST play and a little backup LB this season. However, with a full TC next season, with luck we may see him line up beside Elimimian and Bighill as a solid starting LB corps.

For anyone interested, here is Bo in action at the 2014 NFL combine:

http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/v ... 2a62d445a1
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Abbotsford's Lokombo working his way on to Lions roster

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province September 9, 2014

Boseko Lokombo takes a break at Lions practice Tuesday in Surrey. The W.J. Mouat grad worked on the punt-return unit and with the linebackers, but he sees himself eventually playing running back or safety.

Boseko Lokombo is sufficiently humbled from the experience that has led him to the B.C. Lions, but is still pretty good at assessing how he might eventually fit in with the CFL team.

The 23-year-old took part in his first practice Tuesday and did just enough doing grunt work on the punt-return unit to make it seem as if he might be activated off the practice roster to play against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Saturday.

Lokombo also worked with the linebackers, hardly a surprising development for someone who played the position at the University of Oregon. But when asked where he thinks he might fit in eventually with the Lions, the W.J. Mouat grad from Abbotsford quickly stated running back, a position he played in high school, and safety, which has been a non-import void, as possible landing spots.

It is wishful thinking to suggest a move to the defensive secondary is imminent. But Lokombo will be here long enough to give both him and his team proper time to ponder the next move.

“Right now I’m kind of like a chess piece,” the journalism major said.

The thought that February shoulder surgery would only lead to one NFL workout with the Seattle Seahawks and eventually to the CFL takes an attitude adjustment, said Lokombo.

“You really have to humble yourself. (You’re thinking) ‘I’m in Seattle now, I get to show my skills.’ I never really got the chance to make the roster,” said Lokombo.

“But that’s cool. It worked out perfectly, for the Lions and me too.”

The signing of Lokombo means all seven picks from the 2013 draft class, and 31 of the last 32 selections dating back to retired lineman Danny Watkins, have at least signed a Lions contract.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.