Quality of the CFL season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Big Time
Champion

I'm curious how others are seeing this year's CFL season. I used watch every game of the season. I would always watch the Lions games in real-time, and I would usually watch or PVR the remaining games. I always found the games entertaining and enjoyed the individual performances.

This year, however, the CFL season has been absolutely putrid. I can tolerate the Lions games because I'm a fan, but man oh man have the games been horrible to watch. Never in my life did I think I would see a 7-5 game with no TD's scored. I know weather and playing an expansion team is a factor, but that was the biggest turd of a game I may have ever seen. It seems as though the talent in the league is just paper thin right now. Where are the outstanding performers? Where are the star players? Where are the competitive games?

This year you can pretty much bank on several things each game:

- If it's an East- West matchup, the West team will win, and usually win big.
- If it's a divisional matchup, it will be a blow out one way or the other, with few exceptions.
- the state of QB's in the league has probably never been worse.
- the officiating has been beyond awful. The worst I have ever seen in 30 years of watching the league. Virtually every big play, and 90% of all kick off or punt returns, are called back.
- the excitement in the crowd seems way down everywhere except Saskatchewan
- the overall talent level across the entire league seems to be way down
- the pass interference challenge is being exploited and has been a disaster from the first day

I've talked to other people who watch the CFL and they seem to feel the same way. I'm curious what others think. Has the CFL season been as horrible to you as it seems to me?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's an odd season, with lower scoring and more penalties and a great disparity between east and west but I still find it fascinating. I watch almost every game live, and PVR most of the ones I miss. The East-West disparity has actually made for more interesting playoff races. All five teams are in contention in both divisions, for various reasons. In most years, one or two teams in each division would be out of contention by this point in the season.

I've always subscribed to the old saying that the CFL season doesn't really begin until Labour Day, at least in terms of playoff races. Teams are starting to play more games against divisional rivals, and the intensity has ramped up. Even with Calgary's sweep of Edmonton and Saskatchewan's sweep of Winnipeg, the divisional games this weekend were all exciting, high scoring and close, including Montreal-Hamilton.

The B.C.-Winnipeg game on Saturday has huge implications, with both teams tied in points and the Bombers in position to win the season series with a victory. I hope the Lions can get their offence in gear again, but in the meantime their defence gives them a chance to win each week.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Big Time wrote:I'm curious how others are seeing this year's CFL season. I used watch every game of the season. I would always watch the Lions games in real-time, and I would usually watch or PVR the remaining games. I always found the games entertaining and enjoyed the individual performances.

This year, however, the CFL season has been absolutely putrid. I can tolerate the Lions games because I'm a fan, but man oh man have the games been horrible to watch. Never in my life did I think I would see a 7-5 game with no TD's scored. I know weather and playing an expansion team is a factor, but that was the biggest turd of a game I may have ever seen. It seems as though the talent in the league is just paper thin right now. Where are the outstanding performers? Where are the star players? Where are the competitive games?

- If it's a divisional matchup, it will be a blow out one way or the other, with few exceptions.
- the officiating has been beyond awful. The worst I have ever seen in 30 years of watching the league. Virtually every big play, and 90% of all kick off or punt returns, are called back.
- the pass interference challenge is being exploited and has been a disaster from the first day

I've talked to other people who watch the CFL and they seem to feel the same way. I'm curious what others think. Has the CFL season been as horrible to you as it seems to me?
Excellent post Big Time and I completely agree.
I'm sure RedBlacks season ticket holders expected to see their share of losses but not these horrible offensive performances week after week. Kudos to their defence for keeping games close but the fact Burris has yet to throw a TD pass at home this season is astonishing.

The three losses at home to Western Division teams that saw the Lions held to no TDs in the 2nd half were painful to watch.

Couple of culprits is the quality of QBs league wide isn't at a high standard. From inexperience (Hamilton & Montreal) to veterans perhaps past their prime (OTT, BC, TO). At least 3 teams (Cal, Edm, Wpg) have promising QBs that already have had success and should only get better. The only two QBs in the prime of their careers are now both hurt. Not good for the league.

Also think teams are stacking their defence with international talent. Lions started 7 of their 8 Canadians on offence Friday and I completely agree with Blitz that Ianuzzi and Poblah have no business being starters. Wouldn't mind the league insisting three of the minimum 7 national starters would have to be on defence.

The overall quality of play hasn't helped sellout the Grey Cup either with over 5,000 tickets left. There has been lot of talk of the quality of play through the media and on the post-game shows too. As a diehard, I'm always concerned about the Lions and league's health longterm.
I just hope those hockey first casual Lions/CFL fans in this market aren't going to get their entire football fix on a very successful and dynamic team 2 hours south of here.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Big Time wrote:I'm curious how others are seeing this year's CFL season. I used watch every game of the season. I would always watch the Lions games in real-time, and I would usually watch or PVR the remaining games. I always found the games entertaining and enjoyed the individual performances.

I strongly disagree with your QB assessment.

The Als seem to have found a decent prospect in Crompton.

Collaros, Willy, Mitchell, Reilly are young QBs who are all playing well.

Nothing wrong with Durant and Ray.

Both backups Nichols and Sensuri (sp?) played well for injured Reilly and Durant.

Other than some uncharacteristic interceptions at the start of the season, Glenn has played as well as expected, just not lights out which was never expected.

If Lulay cannot get healthy then Glenn probably has a few more seasons left in him and hopefully by then the 24 year old Travis Partridge will have developed into a starter. He has already shown in TC a strong arm and good accuracy and touch as well as confidence in himself. :cr:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

It used to be a point of honour among CFL purists that the Grey Cup was usually the better North American pro football championship game, but even this notion has taken a beating in the last little while.

How many Grey Cups in the last decade have been truly great games? I'd say the best two were the overtime 2005 game and the 2009 13th man. The first half of the 2005 game was downright pedestrian, and while the 2009 GC will be talked about for as long as there are GCs, who ever talks about anything else from that game besides the 13th man? Quick, who can tell me even one memorable play (a la Passaglia, Champion, Gabriel, Parker) from that game in the 60 mins before that penalty?

We are LONG overdue for a classic Grey Cup game, and if there were ever a year where we desperately needed one, 2014 would SURELY be it. Maybe we'll see another 1981-style game where a weak Eastern underdog will open with a huge halftime lead only for the highly-favoured Western rep to prevail and pull out a narrow, late come-from-behind victory. I fear another snoozer/blowout GC game of the type we've seen so far this year could really entrench the malaise that has gripped the CFL right now. Critics would call it the purrfect punctuation mark on a forgettable season.

It's really no wonder Cohon decided to get the hell out of Dodge.
Last edited by sj-roc on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Big Time wrote: the state of QB's in the league has probably never been worse.
I strongly disagree with your QB assessment.

The Als seem to have found a decent prospect in Crompton.

Collaros, Willy, Mitchell, Reilly are young QBs who are all playing well.

Nothing wrong with Durant and Ray.

Both backups Nichols and Sensuri (sp?) played well for injured Reilly and Durant.

Other than some uncharacteristic interceptions at the start of the season, Glenn has played as well as expected, just not lights out which was never expected.

If Lulay cannot get healthy then Glenn probably has a few more seasons left in him and hopefully by then the 24 year old Travis Partridge will have developed into a starter. He has already shown in TC a strong arm and good accuracy and touch as well as confidence in himself. :cr:
I think he might be referring to the fact that there's not a lot of PROVEN talent at QB position right now. You're correct that the young guys you mention have indeed all shown some promise so far but none of them have yet led to their teams to much, if any, post-season success. With Durant and Lulay now out injured, Ray and Burris are the only active QBs to have won GCs and their teams are a combined 4-16.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No argument that the entertainment value of the CFL has taken a hit in the first half of the season. Hopefully things will pick up from here. There were a couple of entertaining and high scoring games this weekend. I beg to differ that the state of quarterbacking has never been worse. With the exception of Montreal and perhaps Ottawa with an aging Henry Burris, all the teams have solid starters although Kevin Glenn sometimes drive me bonkers with his interceptions.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

The CFL needs to step in and artificially create offense moving forward.

1) They need to create a rule to have a minimum 3 Canadian starters on defense. Or at least a gradual increase from 2 next year up to 3 in 2016.

2) As long as DB's are allowed to MAUL RECEIVERS by grabbing, clutching, and holding receivers downfield, nothing is going to get solved. There's a reason the NFL is calling illegal contact and defensive holding like never before. CFL wake up.
I've heard every eligible receiver in the NFL has a ref watching them. The CFL needs to crackdown on illegal contact, and if an extra back judge is needed, so be it.

We can't continue having 18 punts a game and QB's throwing for 180 yards. Something needs to be done^

I'm a CFL fan first, but oh how refreshing it was to watch the NFL this weekend and to see pockets form and QB's have more than 2 steamboats to get rid of the ball. The difference in pressure on the QB between both leagues is astounding. CFL QB's get destroyed, plain and simple.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

korey&dante4ever wrote:The CFL needs to step in and artificially create offense moving forward.

1) They need to create a rule to have a minimum 3 Canadian starters on defense. Or at least a gradual increase from 2 next year up to 3 in 2016.

2) As long as DB's are allowed to MAUL RECEIVERS by grabbing, clutching, and holding receivers downfield, nothing is going to get solved. There's a reason the NFL is calling illegal contact and defensive holding like never before. CFL wake up.
I've heard every eligible receiver in the NFL has a ref watching them. The CFL needs to crackdown on illegal contact, and if an extra back judge is needed, so be it.

We can't continue having 18 punts a game and QB's throwing for 180 yards. Something needs to be done^

I'm a CFL fan first, but oh how refreshing it was to watch the NFL this weekend and to see pockets form and QB's have more than 2 steamboats to get rid of the ball. The difference in pressure on the QB between both leagues is astounding. CFL QB's get destroyed, plain and simple.
What is the advantage of creating a rule that dictates WHERE on the roster a NI has to play? In your comment of 3 on defense, that makes no sense IMO. How do you gradually move from 2 to 3 in anything? It's a one step decision.

In the past most teams have tried to find 5 NI OL, 1 NI receiver and 1 NI at safety. If the best NI's a team finds are all on defense or all on offense, so be it. I don't understand where you're going with a forced situation.

It'a already hard enough to deal with ratio issues. Teams need to be able to start the best NI's they can. Forcing them to do otherwise would make things worse IMO.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Its a good point....

I think where I'm struggling is the quality of the home games. The Lions have played in some road games (except the one actual road game I saw :dizzy: ) that were entertaining. However, many of the home games have been, IMO, tough because BC PLace used to be the "LIONS DEN" where other teams did their best but would fall to the victorious home team.

I think the entertainment value of the games will pickup simjply because we are getting to that point where the games have more meaning perspective-wise in terms of the playoffs. A game in July is worth 2 points just like the one in early November but with the playoffs just around the corner that game later in the season SEEMS bigger....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
korey&dante4ever wrote:The CFL needs to step in and artificially create offense moving forward.

What is the advantage of creating a rule that dictates WHERE on the roster a NI has to play? In your comment of 3 on defense, that makes no sense IMO. How do you gradually move from 2 to 3 in anything? It's a one step decision.

In the past most teams have tried to find 5 NI OL, 1 NI receiver and 1 NI at safety. If the best NI's a team finds are all on defense or all on offense, so be it. I don't understand where you're going with a forced situation.

It'a already hard enough to deal with ratio issues. Teams need to be able to start the best NI's they can. Forcing them to do otherwise would make things worse IMO.
Adding one N to the D next year (to the current norm of one) and then another in 2016 would be a two-step process.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not in favour of legislating where Nationals and Internationals can play. Don't want the CFL become the NHL where every year there are rule changes to "improve" the game.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Not in favour of legislating where Nationals and Internationals can play. Don't want the CFL become the NHL where every year there are rule changes to "improve" the game.
watching defenders maul receivers sure looks like hockey.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Not in favour of legislating where Nationals and Internationals can play. Don't want the CFL become the NHL where every year there are rule changes to "improve" the game.
We're pretty much already there. There has been plenty of rule tinkering in the last 10-15 years:

• Punting directly OOB outside the 20 outlawed. Later modified to give receiving team option of scrimmaging 10yds upfield from point ball OOB rather than strict re-punt 10yds back.

• We experimented briefly with mandatory kickoffs after FGs before rescinding that rule.

• We experimented briefly with calling blocks from the side (not just from behind) illegal on kick returns, rescinded when it was getting called on nearly every return play.

• Plays with blatant holding from punt formation to kill time off the clock are immediately blown dead (Don Matthews tried to get away with this and they changed the rule mid-season).

• We brought in video review — and have tinkered with what can and canot be challenged.

• We revamped OT into the shootout format, and then shortened it from four to two rounds. Later modified to make 2pt convert attempts mandatory.

• We strengthened roughing the passer calls to protect the QBs.

• We outlawed horse collar tackles.

• Teams can now bank their first timeout to the 2nd half instead of use-it-or-lose-it in the 1st half (or use their 2nd one in the first half if they want).

• Each team now supplies footballs for their own offence's use instead of those supplied by the home team (and throwing an opponent's ball into the stands is now a foul).

• Rules against unsportmansmanlike conduct and taunting have been strengthened.

• Eligible receivers can now wear uniform numbers in the 40s.

• Automatic Command Centre now reviews all scoring plays.

• We moved the kickoff after safety back 10 yards to the 25.

• We experimented with the rule of what constitutes a valid catch on so-called "bang-bang" plays.

• New rules re: player losing helmet (play blown dead immediately for ball carrier losing helmet, non-ball carrier cannot participate after losing helmet, UR applies to hitting non-helmeted player).

• Illegal participation rule rescinded for player pushed OOB by an opponent and re-entering play.

• Blocking below waist after forward pass reception outlawed.

• Uncatchable ball plays where PI calls do not apply became subject to illegal contact calls.

• Allowing a non-QB to take the centre snap, enabling the "wildcat" play.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

sj-roc wrote:It used to be a point of honour among CFL purists that the Grey Cup was usually the better North American pro football championship game, but even this notion has taken a beating in the last little while.

How many Grey Cups in the last decade have been truly great games? I'd say the best two were the overtime 2005 game and the 2009 13th man. The first half of the 2005 game was downright pedestrian, and while the 2009 GC will be talked about for as long as there are GCs, who ever talks about anything else from that game besides the 13th man? Quick, who can tell me even one memorable play (a la Passaglia, Champion, Gabriel, Parker) from that game in the 60 mins before that penalty?

We are LONG overdue for a classic Grey Cup game, and if there were ever a year where we desperately needed one, 2014 would SURELY be it. Maybe we'll see another 1981-style game where a weak Eastern underdog will open with a huge halftime lead only for the highly-favoured Western rep to prevail and pull out a narrow, late come-from-behind victory. I fear another snoozer/blowout GC game of the type we've seen so far this year could really entrench the malaise that has gripped the CFL right now. Critics would call it the purrfect punctuation mark on a forgettable season.

It's really no wonder Cohon decided to get the hell out of Dodge.
I know Cohon is a popular guy in these here pages for his work in promoting the league, but Cohon has been selling lots of sizzle and not a lot of steak. Wonder where he got that from...