Travis Lulay -- Thoughts and Prayers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:While the fans might want Travis to become a QB coach, he would likely earn 10X as much as a starting CFL QB. With the Lions that would likely be a part-time position (do they even have a QB coach?) So there probably be some impetus by Travis to continue playing, even if he had to go to another team as a backup. Taking his huge salary into account, hopefully the Lions won't cut Lulay in the offseason (like they did to D. Dickenson only six months after he signed a $400k contract extension, to avoid paying him a roster bonus after he suffered a concussion.)
Joe Paopao is the quarterback coach
Joe Paopao is the receivers coach and is mainly there to be a game time spotter in the spotter's booth.

Khari Jones is the OC and QB coach.

So Lulay now becomes the unofficial QB coach i guess.
Spud387
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:While the fans might want Travis to become a QB coach, he would likely earn 10X as much as a starting CFL QB. With the Lions that would likely be a part-time position (do they even have a QB coach?) So there probably be some impetus by Travis to continue playing, even if he had to go to another team as a backup. Taking his huge salary into account, hopefully the Lions won't cut Lulay in the offseason (like they did to D. Dickenson only six months after he signed a $400k contract extension, to avoid paying him a roster bonus after he suffered a concussion.)
Incorrect. He is the receiver's coach
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
He is actually the receivers coach....Khari Jones coaches the quarterbacks.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/102469

Lulay's press conference.

Upbeat as always.

Sounds like 3 scenarios ...

Surgery in a week or 10 days.

Recover enough to play this year.

Surgery in the off season.

All based on gathering information over the next few days.

Best wishes, Travis. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:Hopefully this serves as a wake up call to better protect the QB. Wally did this years ago when DD was getting his head smushed left and right when he brought in Rob Murphy and Jason Jimenez. Better get a new oline coach too
This was really the player's personal decision to go for the ball after it slipped off his hand. Granted there was pressure coming.

The ONLY way I'd take a chance on a QB like coming off a big injury like Travis if I were the GM would be IF that QB understood that there was no longer any need or authority for him to go after and dive on a fumble or make a dangerous run without going down like a Cavillo or Danny McManus. I don't think there is any fan or player who'd call Cavillo down for being gutless and not risking his body. He was one of the most respected in the game and also it was well known that if you got to him and hit him he'd not be as effective from then on in that game as he like Danny Mac didn't like being hit.

Travis talking like Buck would be a risk coming back that the Lions might want to avoid.

BUT getting it into these guys' heads that getting hurt to them means making a big play to help their team isn't helpful when you take out the team's starting QB! On balance that is not a good trade off.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:BUT getting it into these guys' heads that getting hurt to them means making a big play to help their team isn't helpful when you take out the team's starting QB! On balance that is not a good trade off.
Good point. I've never fully accepted the argument that "that's how he plays football, and he can't play any other way." I think that good coaching can instill the wisdom of living to fight another day. If Travis needs any tutelage on ending a run safely, he need only look at Russell Wilson; he starts his slide a good 2-3 yards before any contact can possibly happen. I guess the pile-up that hurt Travis in Ottawa while he was trying to recover a fumble does fall into another category, however; hard to blame a player for that.
JohnHenry
Champion

QBing in the NFL and CFL are totally different games. In the NFL a QB is a game manager. In the CFL you have to be aggressive and get points anyway you can.
Travis used to be a hook-slider when he first came into the CFL. I remember as a rookie in his first Lion's offensive series he hook-slid after gaining the 1st down and BC place erupted with applause and cheering (after years of seeing DD and Buck get injured not protecting their bodies). The problem is being a game manager doesn't get you touchdowns in the CFL. Before long Travis turned into Buck Jr. out of necessity. CFL QB's need to go for it, gamble, scramble, improvise, fight and scrap to win (see J. Crompton on Sunday). Most pretty-boy NFL passing robots probably couldn't make it through the exhibition season in the CFL.
South Pender
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:In the NFL a QB is a game manager.
Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Colin Kaepernick, et al. all just game managers? Who knew?