Travis Lulay -- Thoughts and Prayers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rodu
Champion

That's not good. We better bring in like 10 QB's next spring, and fix that damn o-line
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club confirmed late this afternoon that quarterback Travis Lulay suffered a dislocated right shoulder during Friday night’s game in Ottawa.

“Travis has suffered an injury very similar to the one he had last season,” said Dr. Bob McCormack. “As a result of the dislocation, the surgery which was performed on Travis’ shoulder has been undone.”

As a result of the injury and subsequent evaluation, Lulay will be placed on the 6-game injured list and his playing status will continue to be reviewed by team doctors and training staff moving forward.

Lulay suffered a shoulder separation last season on September 15th against the Montreal Alouettes but returned to action in the final week of the regular season.
Gheeshhh ...

Ya know, he played vs Regina last year with this condition. It doesn't seem like the condition will ever get back near 100%. The surgery this year could not make it as strong as was hoped, so it seems.

Knowing Travis as we do, as fans, I expect he will do everything in his power to make a comeback from this latest injury. Whatever he decides is OK with me. And I wish him all the best with whatever decision he makes.

One of the All Time Lions. A champion through and through. We salute you, Travis.

Greatly admired and respected ... This photo from the Lions' website brings some tears to the eyes. Beck and Glenn and the medical staff showing all the concern of teammates and friends.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some tweets and prayers ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

Funny Nic Lewis using heel instead of heal. Nice of the players of the CFL to encourage Lulay's recovery.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Nice Tweets from fellow CFL greats. Nik Lewis is someone I admire both for his play but also how much he loves and appreciate the CFL and fans - he hangs out with them. Read a great story on how he has some group of fans to his place. I also like how the Stamps use him to mentor younger players rather than just dump him like some teams do.

That is as serious as it gets for Travis.

Will that shoulder ever be the same and be fit to play or will he be just one hit away from another season ender?

That I am sure is where the Lions will be heading in their thinking too.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
BC 1988
Legend

I hope Travis makes the decision that is the best one for him, nothing else matters.

Farhan Lalji on the Moj TSN 1040 just said he thinks there will be interest next year in Travis as a backup QB, once he completes the surgery-rehab again, if he goes that route.
Watching Travis on the sidelines in the first 1/2 of this season, I think he's a natural to get a coaching position. Players listen to and interact well with him.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:I hope Travis makes the decision that is the best one for him, nothing else matters.

Farhan Lalji on the Moj TSN 1040 just said he thinks there will be interest next year in Travis as a backup QB, once he completes the surgery-rehab again, if he goes that route.
Watching Travis on the sidelines in the first 1/2 of this season, I think he's a natural to get a coaching position. Players listen to and interact well with him.
I wonder where he got the back up idea from?

He'd be a Dickenson type coach I am sure BUT I'd be equally prepared to say he will want to play again. It could make for an interesting BC Lion GM/HC set of decisions here in the off season.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
dupsdell1
Champion

yes back up next year coach/player would be a excellent idea.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Due to his injury then, Lulay had lots of time to chat with fans during our Operation Orange trip to play the Bombers. I was surprised (kinda) to see him just because he was injured and I didn't think injured players went on road trips. Obviously that is probably USUALLY the case but a leader like Lulay, its worth having him regardless.

I'm glad he's getting lots of support from his fellow CFL players. And you have to know his team-mates, coaches and management LOVE him too.

I hope he does recover and play if he wants to......
Blitz
Team Captain

The shoulder dislocation and Lulay's previous history with the shoulder gives us an idea that he could play again in the future but it will be a long recovery again. It also brings forward a lot of questions with no easy answers. The article below looks at some of those questions.

Certainly no questions have ever been asked nor will they ever be, regarding the character, the dedication, the work ethic and the high regard football fans and teammates have about Travis. He is an admirable person and whatever happens, I sure hope that his future is bright. He deserves that because of who he is.

Ullrich: Lulay is pretty much just a coach now for the Lions

Latest dislocation has ‘undone’ the surgery B.C. Lions quarterback had last year

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province September 8, 2014 8:35 PM

Travis Lulay is helped off the field Friday after injuring his shoulder for the third time. — bclions.com

Travis Lulay knew his role after the shoulder injury that wiped out the latter half of the 2013 CFL season with the B.C. Lions, and as such knows what he will do now that he is in the same situation again.

What remains to be seen is if he becomes a quasi quarterbacks coach or whether that eventually becomes his permanent title with the CFL team.

The initial diagnosis of Dr. Bob MacCormack of a dislocated shoulder was confirmed when the club’s lead physician ran a series of tests Monday, prompting the Lions to immediately return Lulay to the six-game injured list.

MacCormack said the Nov. 21 surgery to tighten shoulder ligaments that resulted in Lulay missing the first nine games of the current season has been “undone”, which could seriously jeopardize his playing future, although the Lions would go no further in a news release than to state they would merely reassess his status on an ongoing basis.

Lulay said the pain associated with the shoulder injury he sustained in the final minute of the Lions’ ugly 7-5 win over the Ottawa Redblacks on Friday is similar to what he went through when he suffered a subluxation nearly a year ago.

That caused him to be out six weeks, playing briefly in the regular-season finale before starting the West Division semifinal, and putting him in a situation similar to where he has been for the better part of the last year in an unofficial coaching capacity.

“I’ve already thought about it, essentially returning to my coaching spot the first few weeks. I’m going to be a positive voice,” Lulay said. “I’m going to be hard on the guys the same way I would be when I’m playing.

“I’m going to do everything in my power. It comes from a different role when you’re not on the field, but I’m going to be hard on them. I’m not going to just drift away.”

It also didn’t sound like he would be back soon either.

The quarterback made the comments Monday on his weekly paid segment with the Lions’ radio rights-holders after posting a response to those offering him well wishes on Twitter.

On Facebook, the club later produced a picture of Boseko Lokombo signing a contract with the Lions, enabling the former W.J. Mouat high school standout to be on the field at practice Tuesday in advance of their game Saturday against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Lulay wouldn’t speculate when asked whether he has played his last game with the Lions in the absence of factual medical evidence. He said the soreness he continues to experience as a result of a pass attempt gone awry in Ottawa is the same as when he was hit on the same shoulder running for a touchdown a year ago in a win over Montreal.

“I knew something happened at the bottom of the pile as soon as it happened,” Lulay told TSN 1040 in describing the most recent hit. “I got a little bit of a wet ball and as I turned to fall on it, it was just a massive pile. As I was outstretched looking for the ball, somebody landed on my back. The shoulder was just in a compromised position. It was a fluke.”

It was similar, in fact, to the separation he suffered after his 2012 shoulder injury in a road win over Hamilton while attempting to throw a pass. That injury resulted in a five-week absence before Lulay returned to lose the division final that year to Kevin Glenn and the Calgary Stampeders.

But the fact Lulay could end up being out for an entire year, combining the amount of time lost from three shoulder injuries, on a contact paying him $440,000 annually could force the Lions to rethink the position after the season.

“Travis has suffered an injury very similar to the one he had last season,” McCormack said on the club’s website. “As a result of the separation, the surgery which was performed on Travis’s shoulder has been undone.”

Glenn can put the quarterbacking of the Lions back together with a strong second half of the season, possibly earning him a contract extension offer before he becomes a free agent Feb. 15.

For now though, it is clearly now Glenn’s offence again, and there will be no more waiting for Lulay to lead the Lions.

lullrich@theprovince.com
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lulay expected to meet the media today. (Tuesday) Should be interesting.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Very unfortunate news to be sure. Travis may want to re-hab and play again but I don't know that any team will take the chance of him being a starter for them next year. I don't see the Lions looking / wanting to trade him or other teams willing to trade for him based on the injury developments.

That is based on the cost / risk / reward senario. While I don't know what his current salary is at the moment, it's fairly easy to think he's among the top salaried players in the CFL. In 2014, much of his salary will be sheltered from the SMS due to being on the 6 game IR roster however it's still a significant expense to payroll / profit.

I think it more likely that he might progress into a coaching role if that is where he sees his long term goal.
JohnHenry
Champion

While the fans might want Travis to become a QB coach, he would likely earn 10X as much as a starting CFL QB. With the Lions that would likely be a part-time position (do they even have a QB coach?) So there probably be some impetus by Travis to continue playing, even if he had to go to another team as a backup. Taking his huge salary into account, hopefully the Lions won't cut Lulay in the offseason (like they did to D. Dickenson only six months after he signed a $400k contract extension, to avoid paying him a roster bonus after he suffered a concussion.)
Rodu
Champion

Hopefully this serves as a wake up call to better protect the QB. Wally did this years ago when DD was getting his head smushed left and right when he brought in Rob Murphy and Jason Jimenez. Better get a new oline coach too
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:While the fans might want Travis to become a QB coach, he would likely earn 10X as much as a starting CFL QB. With the Lions that would likely be a part-time position (do they even have a QB coach?) So there probably be some impetus by Travis to continue playing, even if he had to go to another team as a backup. Taking his huge salary into account, hopefully the Lions won't cut Lulay in the offseason (like they did to D. Dickenson only six months after he signed a $400k contract extension, to avoid paying him a roster bonus after he suffered a concussion.)
Joe Paopao is the quarterback coach