Travis Lulay -- Thoughts and Prayers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Just as one would expect from Travis Lulay.

Best wishes, Travis. You have the heart of a champion. :thup:

And ... God Bless!
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Travis is a class act and great ambassador for the game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Travis has the heart of a Lion. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.
dat
Rookie

Travis Lulay,
class guy and a great QB. Hope we see him back on the field.

DAT
iso_55
prospect

My best wishes go out to Travis Lulay for a speedy recovery. I never met the man but he is a class act & a nice guy. Heartbreaking to see what happened after a year of rehab to his shoulder. The CFL needs star players like him. We are all the richer as fans when he plays & all the poorer when he doesn't.
leo4life
All Star

Best wishes to Travis and hope he returns at some point,pending the MRI Tuesday...Lions need to not only beat the Bombers but give a game ball to him after...watched highlights of the Stamp Oline today...they open up HUGE HOLES and Mitchell has all day to throw...i think they even have a new Oline coach and havent skipped a beat...i guess run blocking isnt that "hard to teach" LOL
David
Team Captain

Best wishes to Travis for a speedy recovery. :rockin:

Just feel terrible for the guy. I can't imagine suffering the painful shoulder injury last September, then toughing it out late in the season, going under the knife in the off-season, months of rehab, hope, anxiety, and finally relief that he's in a starting role once again.....only to injure the same shoulder in his first game back!

This is a sizable local news story. CTV news tonight reported it as part of their NEWS segment (not only sports news). I think everyone realizes that it could be the end of the line for a really classy local athlete.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I am sure he must be suffering in more ways than just the pain of the shoulder injury.

It is never a good thing to see any athlete lose his career to injury and even less so when it is a team leader and good representative of their team and the CFL as is Travis Lulay.

I hope he's not done - I wish him the best - and let's hope it's nothing major. However it sure looked bad.

If not serious I really hope that they make a wise decision as to how long is safe before he plays again. Rushing back for a further injury IF he were able to play again would be crazy.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
leo4life
All Star

Anyone catch Benny's half time speech/yelling/screaming?!?! Players look like they have tuned out his nonsense....its on their website quite comical
ziggy
Legend

A great guy and the face of the franchise! Hope he can come back but if not, there is more to life than football.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Anyone catch Benny's half time speech/yelling/screaming?!?! Players look like they have tuned out his nonsense....its on their website quite comical
http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/102219

Oh my goodness. He's channeling Kavis Reed and we know how his speeches turned out for his Esks and his career.

If that is what he said at the half he's lost it.

Players never listen to long speeches and they don't get motivated by fiery speeches.

They sure didn't appear to be all together to listen to him rant. He didn't come across as a leader but a guy who had no answers other than to yell.

What works is before they go out the coach comes in:

> hits the positives that went well
> notes the areas for focus on in the next half - that's it. Football is a different from other sports as any DEF or OFF adjustments can't be dominating the HC talk. They need to do that in their group talk at the half -something we wouldn't see.
> reminds them of how their opponent seeing a close score will come firing out fast from the kickoff
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Anyone catch Benny's half time speech/yelling/screaming?!?! Players look like they have tuned out his nonsense....its on their website quite comical
http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/102201

I tried to watch. Could only last a few seconds. What was he shouting at the start? It sounded like: "Get your eyes up on me." Looked like he was entering the realm of Kavis Reed with a pacing, never ending, locker room rant.

I agree with Toppy. IMO that kind of emotional, over the top, rant does nothing to help a team. The guys already have loads of emotion on tap. A few words to help the focus is appropriate. It is not as if the Lions do not try hard. They give it their all. What they need is better preparation in terms of planning, and better focus. IMO ...

In any case, however bizarre or extreme Benny might seem at times, in his words, in his celebrations, in his facial expressions, we know he has great support for Travis Lulay.

I guess there is a chance Travis might play again. Like Vince Lombard said to a player at one time: "There is nothing left in there to go wrong." It would seem that if Travis is able to play again, his shoulder will always be vulnerable. If he can heal pretty well, why not try to play again? It seems one has to try ...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Travis. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

One thing about Travis Lulay that many probably don't know is that he's a very intelligent person. He scored a 37 on the Wonderlic Personnel Test, which is a test of general intelligence or cognitive ability. This puts Travis in about the top 3-4% of the general population in overall general intelligence, and in about the top 20-30% of graduates of 4-year university programs. I think he has demonstrated excellent judgment and class in all phases of his behavior on and off the field and is impossible not to like, but he's also a very bright guy. General cognitive ability is not critical to success as a football player (as evidenced by Dan Marino's score of 15 on the Wonderlic, placing him in about the bottom 20% of the general population), although it obviously can't hurt, but it very likely correlates more highly with success as a coach. Just another indicator of Travis's potential as a coach at some point down the line.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Best wishes to Travis and hope he returns at some point,pending the MRI Tuesday...Lions need to not only beat the Bombers but give a game ball to him after...watched highlights of the Stamp Oline today...they open up HUGE HOLES and Mitchell has all day to throw...i think they even have a new Oline coach and havent skipped a beat...i guess run blocking isnt that "hard to teach" LOL
Lulay was just on 1040 with Jake & Pratt, apparently the MRI has been moved up to today.

QB @TravisLulay is still physically sore after suffering shoulder injury Friday; no results until later today
7:52 AM - 8 Sep 2014
EDIT: you can listen to the inteview here:

https://soundcloud.com/team-radio-inter ... tember-8th
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club confirmed late this afternoon that quarterback Travis Lulay suffered a dislocated right shoulder during Friday night’s game in Ottawa.

“Travis has suffered an injury very similar to the one he had last season,” said Dr. Bob McCormack. “As a result of the dislocation, the surgery which was performed on Travis’ shoulder has been undone.”

As a result of the injury and subsequent evaluation, Lulay will be placed on the 6-game injured list and his playing status will continue to be reviewed by team doctors and training staff moving forward.

Lulay suffered a shoulder separation last season on September 15th against the Montreal Alouettes but returned to action in the final week of the regular season.