Argos' players, staff grow frustrated over work conditions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Tough to blame them. They have guys who have played for other teams and know what they're dealing with isn't the norm in this league. Imagine if we didn't have the Surrey facility and had to wander all over the city from one week to the next looking for a place to practice. Swangard today. Tbird next month. What about after that?

To his great credit coach Milanovich is keeping his mouth shut about it. I'm sure he's fully aware of the poor example it would set for his players and how it would license them to change from a mindset of execution to excuse.

The media lionises Roughrider fans. But to root for the green and white in Saskatchewan is to swim with the current. It's throwing a ball in the air and rooting for gravity. If you ask me being an Argo fan is a far bigger badge of courage, rooting for a team that in the pecking order of your market's professional sports coverage ranks at best fourth.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=460968
Argos' players, staff grow frustrated over work conditions
Matthew Scianitti
9/4/2014 11:54:38 AM

The Toronto Argonauts are North America's oldest professional football franchise. But they're also homeless and nomadic - a description that isn't new for the team over the last few decades. With building time, pressure and ownership uncertainty, it's a challenge that members of the organization can no longer ignore.

The Argos are first in the East Division (albeit with a 3-7 record), but the team has used three different practice facilities across the Greater Toronto Area over the last month. They've been at York University, the Hershey Centre in Mississauga and the Rogers Centre for meetings and locker rooms, while occasionally practising on different high school and community fields in North and West Toronto.

Several veteran players and team staffers - who wish to remain anonymous - approached TSN in recent weeks to their concern and frustration over the negative affect the Argos' constant changing of facilities and cloudy ownership situation continue to have on the club. Players have also sent in photos of equipment stuffed in narrow hallways and around players trying to get treatment for injuries from the training staff.

"This whole thing is a joke," one veteran player told TSN.

While the team moved into a new, permanent facility at Downsview Park in North Toronto (shared with Toronto FC) last week, there was still unhappiness with the situation.

"Does it affect how we prepare (for games)? Yes," said another veteran player. "Do I think about it while I'm on the field, between plays? No. But it's always in the back of your mind."

The situation seems comparable to two years ago when a fire destroyed the Argonauts' facility at the University of Toronto's Mississauga campus and the team was forced to work in the school's classrooms along with neighbouring high school football fields. And that team went on to win the 100th Grey Cup that season.

"In 2012, we used our facilities - or lack of - as motivation to win a championship," added another player. "Now? Many of us are tired and frustrated. But what can we do?"

While the players say that trying to work around unpredictable locations and schedules without violating the 4 1/2 hour workday rule mandated in the league's collective bargaining agreement is tough, the CFL Players' Association told TSN that no complaints have been filed over excessive workdays or unfit working conditions.

The reason players have chosen to stay quiet appears to be the efforts of head coach Scott Milanovich and his coaching staff to maintain calm inside the locker rooms. And those efforts have not gone unnoticed. Players say that that Milanovich never complains about the team's situation, but simply brings a detailed plan to every practice and demands that his players perform.

"I can't imagine what Coach Scott is going through," said defensive back Jalil Carter prior to the Labour Day Classic in Hamilton. "He takes all that frustration onto himself. And we never see it. He just allows us to compete."

Milanovich declined to comment on Toronto's practice facilities or ownership situation. "I'm just trying to prepare our guys to win the East," he said flatly. "Our goal is to be one game away from the Grey Cup. That's it."

But not knowing the franchise's future is a disheartening distraction for the players. And off the field, team staffers are concerned about diminishing budgets and a diminishing workforce. The team has been without a head of ticket sales and corporate partnerships this season. And after the Argonauts' director of marketing resigned in August, team staff have said the team will effectively have no marketing department later this month.

By comparison, other CFL franchises have no fewer than two marketing directors - and in some cases, as many as six full-time marketing staffers.

On top of that, the team's lease at the Rogers Centre expires Dec. 31, 2017 and the Argos have not yet drawn more than 20,000 spectators to any of their four home games.

"I have no idea what is going on (with the ownership situation)," a veteran said. "I don't know who to blame."

One prominent Argo who's considering a contract extension says that while his connection with the current roster and coaching staff is important, he can't help but factor in the stress caused by the unpredictability with their practice facilities.

And that dithering has already hurt the Argos. CFL sources tell TSN that Toronto made a contract offer to re-sign free agent defensive back Pat Watkins in the off-season, but Eskimos head coach (and former Argos defensive coordinator) Chris Jones brought the CFL All-Star to Edmonton to show him the team's state-of-the-art fieldhouse near Commonwealth Stadium. After that, Watkins never returned the Argos' calls.

Jones also made sure that his new acquisition shared his Toronto experience with his new teammates.

"Coach Jones brought Pat and I up (in front of the team) to tell everyone where we had come from and the challenges we faced (with facilities) in Toronto," said Eskimos offensive lineman and former Argo Tony Washington. "He wanted the team to be thankful for what we have."

Even after the Argos' move to Downsview Park, it's still difficult for some in the organization to feel pleased. After the first week at the new facility, a team staffer told TSN that the new challenge is managing the Argos' work schedule - particularly washing equipment - around that of Toronto FC.

In July, the team announced a partnership with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment to build training facilities. Some in the organization call them "modular buildings" - structures built off-site and then set down in Downsview Park. For others, they're simply called "trailers."

Nevertheless, Milanovich and his coaching staff are maintaining a constructive outlook, focused on holding their lead in the East Division. But with mounting questions about David Braley's ownership of the team and how the CFL should handle the situation, Toronto players and staff are wondering aloud how the situation will continue to affect their performance.

"Sometimes you have to remind yourself: This is a professional franchise," said one player. "It's frustrating."
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:To his great credit coach Milanovich is keeping his mouth shut about it. I'm sure he's fully aware of the poor example it would set for his players and how it would license them to change from a mindset of execution to excuse.
Yes, full credit to Milanovich. I was unaware of how difficult the situation is in terms of no place to think of as home. Vagabonds.

Losing the desired coach, Watkins, in that manner hurts. And they have lost Chris Jones and Mike O'Shea to HC gigs.

I am rooting for the Argonauts franchise. :thup: It would be nice to get that ship sailing right. Hang in there, David Braley.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
sj-roc wrote:To his great credit coach Milanovich is keeping his mouth shut about it. I'm sure he's fully aware of the poor example it would set for his players and how it would license them to change from a mindset of execution to excuse.
Yes, full credit to Milanovich. I was unaware of how difficult the situation is in terms of no place to think of as home. Vagabonds.

Losing the desired coach, Watkins, in that manner hurts. And they have lost Chris Jones and Mike O'Shea to HC gigs.

I am rooting for the Argonauts franchise. :thup: It would be nice to get that ship sailing right. Hang in there, David Braley.
One wonders if this was a factor in MB's reluctance to take their HC job a few years ago when he had the chance, opting to hang around here waiting to climb the ladder.

To add to the Argos' woes this year, something else that they had no control over: I'm reading over on argofans.com that for the Labour Day game, the visitors' dressing room at THF wasn't finished (just another facet of the construction delays), so the Argos players had to dress for the game in Toronto and bus down to Hamiton in uniform (and presumably likewise for post-game). Where did they go for halftime, one wonders?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How did it come to this ? Thought Braley's purchase of the club would have brought some stability.
Ravi
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

One wonders if this was a factor in MB's reluctance to take their HC job a few years ago when he had the chance, opting to hang around here waiting to climb the ladder.

To add to the Argos' woes this year, something else that they had no control over: I'm reading over on argofans.com that for the Labour Day game, the visitors' dressing room at THF wasn't finished (just another facet of the construction delays), so the Argos players had to dress for the game in Toronto and bus down to Hamiton in uniform (and presumably likewise for post-game). Where did they go for halftime, one wonders?
That rumour of having to dress in Toronto and bus it originated on the Ticats' fan forum and was b.s. The Argos have had to put up with a lot but that isn't one of the things that they have had to deal with although it sure wouldn't have been a surprise if it had happened.
JohnHenry
Champion

The Argos signed a contract with MLSE for them to build the team a practice facility at Downsview, but MLSE failed to complete the project on time. Is that the Argos fault? Would free agent Watkins have followed Chris Jones to Edm even if the Esks didn't have a $100M FieldHouse (purported to be the reason he signed there)? Would the senior marketing staff who resigned still be their jobs if MLSE bought the team (or did they jump to other positions, just in case the were deemed redundant in the proposed MLSE merger?) Did the Argos violate the CBA-mandated 4.5 hr workday by forcing players to travel to another practice facility because MLSE didn't finish their field on time?. OMG, will the Argos ever get access to more washing machines at MLSE Training Centre? :rotf:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:
sj-roc wrote:One wonders if this was a factor in MB's reluctance to take their HC job a few years ago when he had the chance, opting to hang around here waiting to climb the ladder.

That rumour of having to dress in Toronto and bus it originated on the Ticats' fan forum and was b.s. The Argos have had to put up with a lot but that isn't one of the things that they have had to deal with although it sure wouldn't have been a surprise if it had happened.
Thanks for clarifying, Ravi. After I posted that I went looking around for more info about it but nothing turned up. Even if it got started on the Ticats fan board, a story like this (if true) would reflect more poorly on the Ticats (for not having things ready) than on the Argos; I'm not sure why they would have started it, perhaps out of their own frustration or just someone going rogue.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Just found this in the Toronto Sun, which ran a few weeks ago, a couple days after I started this thread early this month.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/06/it ... in-toronto
The betting around the Argos is that Scott Milanovich will not return to coach next season unless the team is sold. He has just about had it with the Argos’ chintzy ways, which is a shame. Milanovich is one of the best coaches the Argos have ever had.
Hmmm, I wonder if there's another team in the league that might consider a coaching change where he could end up taking over, if this ever came to pass? Of course, there'd be some irony in quitting on a team because of the owner, only to go work for another team with the same owner.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

sj-roc wrote:Just found this in the Toronto Sun, which ran a few weeks ago, a couple days after I started this thread early this month.

The betting around the Argos is that Scott Milanovich will not return to coach next season unless the team is sold. He has just about had it with the Argos’ chintzy ways, which is a shame. Milanovich is one of the best coaches the Argos have ever had.
Hmmm, I wonder if there's another team in the league that might consider a coaching change where he could end up taking over, if this ever came to pass? Of course, there'd be some irony in quitting on a team because of the owner, only to go work for another team with the same owner.
Any anti-Argo stuff from the Toronto media needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I think Bob McCowan, over a month ago, reported that the Argos folding was imminent. Unless Milanovich's contract runs out at the end of 2014, then he is not going anywhere.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

always wonder about the phrase one of the best.

is that one of the 3 best, 5 best, 10 best..???

is it a percentage maybe??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

If this kinda stuff about the owners 'chintzy' ways is true its the opposite of the reality in most other things Canadian. Normally its the east that gets taken care of first, IMO.

Braley used to do some things like put the Lions up in a hotel before a home playoff game. WHY? Sounds like an expensive way to do things, if a guy is trying to 'save a buck'. Probably did it for a variety of reasons, including because sometimes the cheap way is the EXPENSIVE way, in the long run.

The situation in Toronto sounds/looks complicated as to where they will play/practice etc... I hope there is a minimum standard in the CBA that is at least being met. Somehow, I doubt, IMO, Braley would need to be held to any such standard if it exists. Maybe I've missed a lot but it seems like he's taken those 'extra steps' around the BC Lions (reconnecting, rebuilding alummni for e.g.) that are not always cheap and he's make the Lions into an asset financially, not something I would have said would have happened during the Lions dark days from an ownership perspective.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Just found this in the Toronto Sun, which ran a few weeks ago, a couple days after I started this thread early this month.

Can we make a trade like the Rangers and Canucks ? Milanovich for Benevides. We'll throw in McMann and Dorazio
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:

Any anti-Argo stuff from the Toronto media needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I think Bob McCowan, over a month ago, reported that the Argos folding was imminent. Unless Milanovich's contract runs out at the end of 2014, then he is not going anywhere.
I can't see Milanovich leaving that way as Braley owns two teams and it's a small league with not a lot of franchises. He'd be scooped up sometime.

The storyline is odd other than the strange practice facilities problem that seems pretty amateurish and a throwback to when the Lions first started and they were all over the east side IIRC finding practice grounds.

Braley leaves the football to the pros and he takes on the business side of the CFL as a board member would. He doesn't meddle in the football and is not one to panic.

I can't see a single HC being fired at the end of this year either.

Not even Benevides who runs a sideline just a tad better than Kavis Reed will be fired.

The Lions seem to have the worst sideline management by coaches in the CFL and that transfers to the team on the field with messed up decisions to run the ball out of the end zone for bad field position etc.

Noticed Mark Washington on the TV - he didn't learn anything either from how Dave Ritchie ran the sideline when he was DC. These guys all are taking on the style of their HC - strutting up and down like a bantam rooster. At least we haven't had a lot of plays to get chest bumps.

Why MB didnt' take the Argos job? Simple. Why take a job you know you aren't ready for when you've been pretty much guaranteed the Lions HC job and your pal doesn't fire his HC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy