Final NFL Cuts Today

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Interesting how the NFL front office sees Michael Sam:

League made calls regarding potential placement of Sam on practice squad
Posted by Mike Florio on September 5, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Some think the Rams did the NFL a favor by using the 249th overall pick in the draft on defensive end Michael Sam. Now, it appears that the NFL asked multiple teams to do Sam a favor by giving him a job, after the Rams cut him.

Peter King of TheMMQB.com reported during Thursday night’s pregame show on NBC that the NFL contacted multiple teams regarding their potential interest in signing Sam as a practice-squad player.

It’s unclear whether the NFL contacted the Cowboys or whether the Cowboys opted to sign Sam on their own. Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens if/when the Cowboys move on from Sam.

The effort to find a job for the NFL’s first openly gay player shows that Sam will indeed be treated differently than other players. The fact that the Cowboys reportedly called current players to gauge the reaction to adding Sam before doing so underscores that reality.

It shouldn’t be that way. Hopefully, at some point it won’t be.
Rodu
Champion

Are the Lions going to be bringing in any guys to look at? This is how Yell was brought in last year I think
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rodu wrote:Are the Lions going to be bringing in any guys to look at? This is how Yell was brought in last year I think
Maybe not quite yet but definitely they will when the practice rosters get expanded which I don't think is for another few weeks yet.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:.......The effort to find a job for the NFL’s first openly gay player shows that Sam will indeed be treated differently than other players. The fact that the Cowboys reportedly called current players to gauge the reaction to adding Sam before doing so underscores that reality.

It shouldn’t be that way. Hopefully, at some point it won’t be.
Good points... Whats really crazy, IMO, about some of Sam's naysayers is that he is just the first OPENLY gay NFL player. Others have been and maybe (probably?) there are others CURRENTLY playing. Hopefully down the road it won't matter....

As for NFL cuts...I doubt it but maybe this is a year the Lions take a stab at a QB? WIll be interesting to see who gets added once all the practice rosters in the NFL are set....