Who to cheer for/against?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I referenced in a post above that Ham is returning to the Grey Cup after losing last year so I had a look at some stats pertaining to this dynamic. ............
Thanks for doing all that work sj-roc. Interesting to say the least.....

Sure would be a bummer to go to the big game TWICE and lose but then again, I don't see any team matching the Buffalo Bills in terms of making it to the leagues championship game but then ending up losing...
Actually back in the late 1920s and early 1930s the Regina Roughriders — as they were then known — lost five GCs in a row and six of seven contests (Toronto Argonauts defeated Sarnia Imperials in year six of this stretch). Their overall GC record is 4-18.

Yeah, it WOULD be a tall order these days to even play in five in a row regardless of how many were wins. This year is going to cap a five-season run with five different champions. There was a similar six year stretch in 2004-2009 where nobody won more than once, and 1999-2004 is another such 6-year stretch of constant turnover. Seems kind of unusual for a league with nine teams, even just eight for much of this time. There was also a run of seven different champions in seven seasons (1989-1995) that ran through the final year of US expansion.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.