Where are they now... Sebastian Clovis

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Perhaps some of you remember him better than me — I only recall the name and that he played here while WB coached, couldn't tell you much more.

Anyway, he now has his own home renovation-themed show on HGTV, "Tackle My Reno":

http://www.hgtv.ca/hosts/sebastian-clovis/?hostid=42019
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

A former football player doing a 'Do-it-Yourself' show? Doesn't make any sense!!! :wink:

I have to admit I don't remember the name but he's got a Grey Cup ring and being able to play at the CFL level is impressive to this fan. Thanks for posting about his show, I'll try and catch it...when football isn't on! :cool:
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Just as unexpected as a retired football player doing a BBQ show on the Food Network... what, you say someone has?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:A former football player doing a 'Do-it-Yourself' show? Doesn't make any sense!!! :wink:

I have to admit I don't remember the name but he's got a Grey Cup ring and being able to play at the CFL level is impressive to this fan. Thanks for posting about his show, I'll try and catch it...when football isn't on! :cool:
Turns out it premiered on Tuesday (same night we made our initial posts to this thread!), with two half-hour episodes run back-to-back, which appears to be its regular broadcast format. The time on hgtv.ca says 10pm but not sure whether that's PT/ET/??.

First two eps are on HGTV's site (first one here, second one can be linked therefrom). There's also an encore scheduled for Sunday, website says 4-5pm but my cable box says 1-2pm. Hmm, maybe the times posted online are ET? Yeah I think so.

I just watched the first one. Ha, they seemed to skip over a LOT of the project in the jump between the last two segments. Kinda makes me wonder how much of the work (that didn't make it to air) SC actually did himself — like they hired "ghost" contractors for the bulk of it lol.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:Just as unexpected as a retired football player doing a BBQ show on the Food Network... what, you say someone has?
Or as a boxer in a movie vs Stallone. Also there is a pretty good one in 'The Rock', ex-Stampeder.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Or a convict in the Longest Yard
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Or this guy:
Henry Waszczuk's "professional football career began in 1975 with the Hamilton Tiger Cats when he was drafted in the first round. During his 10-year career, he was an All-Star at centre seven times and made two Grey Cup appearances (1980, 1984). As a Ti-Cat, Waszczuk was awarded the Tom Pate Memorial Award for his contribution to the team, his community and the league. He also was chosen as the Rothman's Outstanding Lineman on three occasions and was also nominated for the Schenley Awards three times. More recently, Waszczuk was selected to the all-time Hamilton Tiger Cat "Dream Team".

Throughout his 10-year career, Waszczuk taught high school with the Hamilton Board of Education where he served as a Science Department Head."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Waszczuk
After his retirement from the CFL in 1985, Waszczuk co-founded Canadian Sportfishing, a multi-media company. Henry co-hosted and was Executive Producer of various TV shows including Extreme Fishing, Sportfishing Adventures and the Canadian Sportfishing TV show, which aired for 14 years (1986–1999)(Show is still running). He is now host of two new TV shows, Fins & Skins Classic Adventures and Fishing the Flats TV. Waszczuk has produced and hosted over 1000 TV shows and is entering his 24th season on air. He is also publisher of Fins & Skins Travel Magazine and has co-authored eight sportfishing books.

Inducted into the Oshawa Hall of Fame in May 1989; pioneered catch and release techniques used by many anglers today; involved in many charities now and during both his professional football and fishing careers; has been acknowledged by his peers and business friends[who?] in which he has been given awards for his contribution to each community he has lived in.

From his college football days and professional career, there have been many great stories and many that relate to his fishing adventures as well. He is a much-sought-after guest speaker for various corporate and sports functions.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fishing-h ... g-1.165298

I remember a long time back blemish was hooking fish an illegal way but somehow he managed to get redemption:
Fishing host fined for illegal angling

CBC News Posted: Apr 04, 1999 10:43 AM ET Last Updated: Nov 13, 1998 11:20 PM ET

Television fishing personality Henry Waszczuk pleaded guilty in court to fishing out of season for bass and was fined $800.

Waszczuk, co-host of the weekly Canadian Sportfishing show on TSN, was charged by the Ministry of Natural Resources after the incident which took place on June 16, 1995.

Waszczuk was filming a segment for the television show on a lake in Minden, Ont., north of Peterborough. The bass season didn't begin until later that month.

Last month, both Waszczuk and partner Italo Labignan were fined a total of $1,800 in a Trenton, Ont., court after pleading guilty to joint charges of hooking fish in the body to so they could re-hook them in the mouth and film their retrieval for television.

Waszczuk is also scheduled to appear in court in Burlington, Ontario, next month in order to face a charge of fishing in a fish sanctuary, again for a television segment.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy