Lions 16 - Roughriders 20 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

leo4life
All Star

The problem with Poblah is too many drops and hasnt done much of anything else the Lions can and need more prodiction there.They should activate Stephen Adeklou or Haidara give them a shot.You know what you have with E.Jackson & Poblah.Also Ianuzzi needs to step up his game but again hes not thrown to much along with Gore.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I am going to voice my opposition to the love in with Glenn. Lions knew coming into the season that they needed someone that was proven, they got Glenn, and I am good with that. However, Glenn's reputation was a guy who failed in the big games, so far this season, he has been that guy. Way too many INT's on his part, even blaming the OL for not helping him, he has thrown the ball into coverage rather than take a hit. I am not saying that he isn't a seviceable QB in the CFL, he has proven that. However, given how tight the West is, you have to get more out of the number 3 passer in CFL history. His mobility has gone from adequate, to I hope that he can make it outside the hash marks. Either the front 7's of the league are getting faster, or Glenn has actually slowed to the point that I bet Guilio Caravatta could out race him. That doesn't cut it in today's CFL, again he is a decent fill in for Lulay, but the QB position has to get better fast, as under his leadership the Lions are out of the playoff race halfway through the season. Yes it would have been worse without him, but this D is too good to waste their efforts on. Losing to the Als early in the season was a disaster looking back, the Riders game was a huge game that he couldn't move the ball in. Good QB's win both those games IMO.
I would agree with serviceable QB comment. This situation isn't entirely about Glenn but he lacks what I consider an adaptability factor. He is good in certain kinds of situations and with a strong corp around him. What he hasn't ever necessarily shown is that he can function when things around him are less than functional. Age hasn't certainly improved on that factor as too many times this season we have seen what I would call rookie mistakes from one of the most veteran guys in the league. With all the systems he's played under, for all the games he has played in the league, you would expect that there is little that he hasn't seen at one point or the other in terms of defense or offense. Recognition should be pretty automatic for him but sometimes he just has that deer in the headlights look or the I will throw it on a hope and prayer attitude. He has settled down somewhat since the start of the season but more or less to the level of an "average" QB. He isn't leading this team the way you expect a 1st string QB. He looks like a solid backup out there and that is where the level of his play has risen to. Going back to the coaching, it doesn't seem to have been particularly quick to recognize his shortcomings as a QB and to have game planned around them.
He is what he is. And has proven why he hasn't be able to rise to the level of starter again or stick with any team as an indispensable part for years. I don't blame him at all for our woes.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Glenn had no trouble playing in Calgary and Hufnagel - one of the best in judging QBs - when asked if he thought Kevin Glenn was underrated told Sarah Orlesky said 'you're talking to the wrong person.' Similar comments were made by another pretty good judge of QBs and their OC in Calgary - Dave Dickinson.

Fans can say what they want about the guy but all QBs are only successful in the right situation and these QBs will tell you the same. No QB wins it by himself.

Lulay will get his first chance in Ottawa but rust will likely be a factor and no doubt they feel the RedBlacks are the best place to let that happen as that club always manages to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory with plays and penalties that must be driving their HC crazy.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
ziggy
Legend

Glenn did all right in Calgary but neither Hufnagel or Dickenson saw him as anything other than a backup it would seem. If they had he'd still be there!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

ziggy wrote:Glenn did all right in Calgary but neither Hufnagel or Dickenson saw him as anything other than a backup it would seem. If they had he'd still be there!
NOPE. Glenn was the starter last season when other QBs were healthy. Sometimes a team has to look to the long term future and let the young guy step up or loose the young guy to another team. That is what the Stamps did with Glenn.

That is what the Lions did with Simon. That is what the Riders did with Simon.

That is what the Lions did with making Washington the DC.
ziggy
Legend

Hmm. I thought Tate was declared the guy after they deemed Burris expendable? Also thought that Tate's shoulder injury and broken arm etc. led to Glenn getting the starts. I may be splitting hairs here but although Glenn got some starts he was never the Stamps starter, just the back up doing his job. Perhaps I should have said Glenn was always number two behind Tate and therefore expendable?
The fact that he was expendable to the Stamps, says a lot more IMHO, than does some nice quotes from a coach! Hufnagel was being classy by not dissing a player maybe?
Rammer
Team Captain

ziggy wrote:Hmm. I thought Tate was declared the guy after they deemed Burris expendable? Also thought that Tate's shoulder injury and broken arm etc. led to Glenn getting the starts. I may be splitting hairs here but although Glenn got some starts he was never the Stamps starter, just the back up doing his job. Perhaps I should have said Glenn was always number two behind Tate and therefore expendable?
The fact that he was expendable to the Stamps, says a lot more IMHO, than does some nice quotes from a coach! Hufnagel was being classy by not dissing a player maybe?
That is the order of the Stamps QB'ing last season, although Glenn was kept in for the most part to keep the momentum going. Inserting Tate back in may have slowed down the mo that the Stamps had created. Essentially, Glenn was given the starting job by default, but with the Stamps coaching and player depth, was able to hold down the job vs risking putting in the minimally experienced Tate in. Again, what happened to the Stamps in the big game?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm a believer that a QB has to have the right skill set and approach to the game as the team he plays for. Calgary gave this to Glenn and here in BC early on I don't think Khari Jones did.

I can't find the Hufnagel quotes on Glenn but when asked on TSN if Glenn was underrated he just said 'you're talking to the wrong guy' on that question.

Granted he plays a position where diminishing skills are always at play here but I do think the Lions were struggling and so was he early on. Schemes? Decisions? Maybe a combo.

s Kevin Glenn the most underrated quarterback in the CFL?

He wins and his numbers are stellar, but he never gets the love when talk of pivot stars comes up

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Kev ... story.html

n the eyes of Nik Lewis, Kevin Glenn is the certified Agent K of the Calgary Stampeders offence.

Calm bordering on emotionless, even in the most trying of circumstances — and vastly underappreciated.

“Agent K….just like Men in Black,” Lewis said via Twitter last week, comparing Glenn to the character played by Tommy Lee Jones. “Do his job and don’t get the credit he deserves.”

Rarely does an ill-advised pass fly off his fingertips.
Nov. 2012:
“Let’s face it, this guy’s a starting quarterback,” Toronto coach Scott Milanovich said of Glenn. “It was a great move by Calgary to have him there in case something happened to Drew. And when that happened, they didn’t miss a beat.

“Our guys have a ton of respect for Kevin, as do I. I’ve been beaten by him a number of times.”
“He’s a smart player,” says offensive co-ordinator Dave Dickenson. “Just give him some parameters, give him something to look at, he’ll find it.

“He’s very accurate.”

That’s high praise indeed coming from one of the most accurate quarterbacks to ever play the game.
Milanovich sees a more dangerous Glenn, a veteran who can extend plays with his mobility and smarts.

“He gets so hot, he gets very streaky where he’ll hit 14 in a row,” the Toronto coach said.

July 2013:
http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/forums/viewto ... f=3&t=3610

Stamps QBs Tate and Glenn have striking similarities

To say one is a carbon copy of the other would be silly, but Drew Tate and Kevin Glenn are more alike in their trade than one might think.

“Their games are fairly similar,” began Calgary Stampeders’ offensive co-ordinator Dave Dickenson. “Both accurate passers; I believe a little bit underrated at pocket movement. I wouldn’t call either one a physically imposing guy but basically in my opinion you can run the same plays, you don’t have to change too much; figure out what you think works and let both guys throw it. They basically play the same type of game. Kevin’s fire is underrated. He is a competitive guy. Drew shows it a bit more, but Kevin’s a very competitive guy as well.

“A lot more similarities than differences.”

For the second straight practice, the starter Tate — hampered by a strained muscle in his right forearm — went through the motions, did some footwork, some limbering exercises but, alas, no throwing of the football. Head coach/GM John Hufnagel had said that what happens on Day 3 of the practice week would determine who will start against the Montreal Alouettes, and it’s looking more and more like Tate won’t be atop the depth chart.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/foo ... story.html
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy