Lions 16 - Roughriders 20 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:From the wouldas and couldas department how many times did a BC ball carrier blow a tire on Sunday to stifle a big play? I was just watching the replay in TSN2. Brown lost his footing on a return. Either late in the first or early in the second after getting twisted a bit by Kilgore. Still wound up around the 31 but there was room for plenty more. Just before McCallum's 1/ yd FG later in the 2nd Taylor blew a tire making a bit of a cut coming across the middle after a catch. I think he was easily in for 6 had he not lost his footing. Instead of 7 they settled for 3. There was at least one other occasion I can think of where a Lion went down all on his own in the first half.

I noticed that. I kind of wondered if they were slipping on the paint? It seemed to be happening around the numbers on the field.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
South Pender
Legend

Hawkballer 14 wrote:Paul LaPolice? Really?

Actually, Paul LaPolice is a good example of a premature firing that led to disaster for the team (under Tim Burke). I'm 99% sure that Wally--who is nothing if not loyal to his acolytes--won't make that mistake. I'm not even sure that if the Lions miss the playoffs, Benny is gone. The more likely scenario, in my opinion, is the coordinators being blamed and fired. I think talk at this point of a head coaching change in Lotusland is monumentally premature....
Last edited by South Pender on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Actually, Paul LaPolice is a good example of a premature firing that led to disaster for the team (under Tim Burke). I'm 99% sure that Wally--who is nothing if not loyal to his acolytes--won't make that mistake. I'm not even sure that if the Lions miss the playoffs, Benny is gone. The more likely scenario is the coordinators being blamed and fired.
IMO, you are certainly right, Paul LaPolice was a good example of a premature firing. That being said, I wonder what Bomber fans think. Probably the same, I'm betting.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hunter Steward has a foot fracture and will miss at least a month....and he was looking like an all-star as a rookie who even missed training camp and the early games of the season....not good. :thdn:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lulay14
prospect

Lulay needs to start against Ottawa. Glenn has had his chance at the controls and 5-4 is ok but will not get you to the Grey Cup. Travis is the leader this team is missing especially on offense. I thought Glenn should have been replaced earlier in the 3rd quarter of Sundays game. Lulay did not look too bad on Sunday considering he hasn't played too much this season. If only Marco had made that catch. So close.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lulay14 wrote:Lulay needs to start against Ottawa. Glenn has had his chance at the controls and 5-4 is ok but will not get you to the Grey Cup. Travis is the leader this team is missing especially on offense. I thought Glenn should have been replaced earlier in the 3rd quarter of Sundays game. Lulay did not look too bad on Sunday considering he hasn't played too much this season. If only Marco had made that catch. So close.
I concur. If Lulay is fit to play it's time we ride him to the end of the season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Hunter Steward has a foot fracture and will miss at least a month....and he was looking like an all-star as a rookie who even missed training camp and the early games of the season....not good. :thdn:
Just when the Lions seem to have some stability on the offensive line. Benevides will now have to juggle his roster to get Ramsey into the lineup.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote: If you are going to shoot down my choices, why not put yourself out there and come up with some names?
Why should I? I'm not part of the Fire Everybody (aka the grass is always greener) camp. I've been advocating staying the course for the longest time: Benny, Mark and Khari are still learning on the job. Yes, even Benny; dude is only in his third season in the big chair, far from a finished product.

If you repeatedly give your guys a very short rope and have an itchy Fire trigger finger, good employees will stay away.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote: If you are going to shoot down my choices, why not put yourself out there and come up with some names?
Why should I? I'm not part of the Fire Everybody (aka the grass is always greener) camp. I've been advocating staying the course for the longest time: Benny, Mark and Khari are still learning on the job. Yes, even Benny; dude is only in his third season in the big chair, far from a finished product.

If you repeatedly give your guys a very short rope and have an itchy Fire trigger finger, good employees will stay away.
^^Agreed. No point in calling for the HC head because it is not happening.
South Pender
Legend

Blitz wrote:Hunter Steward has a foot fracture and will miss at least a month....and he was looking like an all-star as a rookie who even missed training camp and the early games of the season....not good. :thdn:
Good lord, what a tough break (no pun intended) for Steward and the Lions. Just when we were beginning to see some continuity and good play with the O-line. Let's hope he heals up as quickly as possible, but "at least a month" is ominous. Sometimes though a fracture heals faster than a sprain (bone vs. soft tissue).
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote:

Benny actually foreshadowed this situation with new coordinators and used 180 days as the timeline.

I forget when the clock started but maybe it was June which would make the peak as a team of coaches just past season 1 together.

Benny ain't going anywhere mid season as Wally is not dumb enough to pull that play out of the old playbook in the CFL when the fans wanted change. It hardly ever works.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Buono is not like the Edmonton GM who gives his coach an extension and then fires him.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Hawkballer 14 wrote:

^^Agreed. No point in calling for the HC head because it is not happening.
If either of you had read my original post you would have seen that I said that it was really pointless to consider firing the head coach before the end of the season and maybe not even then even if we missed the playoffs. However, that shouldn't stifle conversation about it. Don't agree fine but watch who you lump into the "fire everybody" category.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Time to step back and look at the big picture: if somebody had told me that we'd be 5-4, after all these personnel and staff changes, with our franchise QB having dressed (not played any significant time) for two of the nine games? And still in the mix for the division? I'd take that all day.

I can't see Winnipeg keeping up this pace, nor Edmonton.
leo4life
All Star

So whos playing left tackle on Sept.5th? Dean Valli or Ryan Cave? LOL