Lions 16 - Roughriders 20 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote:Time to step back and look at the big picture: if somebody had told me that we'd be 5-4, after all these personnel and staff changes, with our franchise QB having dressed (not played any significant time) for two of the nine games? And still in the mix for the division? I'd take that all day.

I can't see Winnipeg keeping up this pace, nor Edmonton.
It's been a crazy kind of year so far. On top of all the challenges you've mentioned, who would have believed it if we'd been told during TC that 5-4 at the halfway point would rank us dead last in the division? I would have guessed 3rd or 4th at worst, NEVER would have even dreamed of 5th, especially considering what Edm & Wpg were coming back from.

For all the talk of historical western domination in this league, we have never — in all the years the CFL has operated with a 5W-4E format — had a 5th place western team finish with more than six wins. 5W teams have reached six wins numerous times, but never seven or more. 2014 is showing great promise to be the first time this happens.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blitz
Team Captain

A few thoughts as our Leos prepare for the starting quarterback decision against the Red Blacks and the replacement of the injured Steward with an import, requiring roster changes.

STARTING QUARTERBACK

Firstly, I think waaaaaay too much focus is spent on the quarterback position, in terms of winning and losing...as if changing quarterbacks in a game is the only difference between winning and losing.

I also think Kevin Glenn has been far too maligned. He came to our Leos having to learn a new system, work with new coaches and players, and he had to deal with horrible protection for a number of games took wicked hits, was sacked at times almost immediately, with no time to throw and still is not getting the necessary protection on most plays. He has played tough and played injured. The reason that we lost to the Riders was not due to Kevin Glenn nor would Lulay have likely made a difference had he entered the game earlier. The reason that our offence stunk was that we couldn't run the football at all...Harris 8 carries for 11 yards and Logan one carry for one yard. We also have won 31 games and lost 2 over the past three seasons when we run the football more than 20 times and we didn't do that either. In the passing attack Glenn was mostly forced to throw quickly to blanketed receivers. Glenn is not afraid to throw the football long and he will if he has a shot to do so...on occasion even when he shouldn't so not throwing deep was not due to him.

Glenn is 3rd in the CFL in passing yards with 2151 yards, has a 62.9 passing percentage and averages 8.4 yards per completion.

Bo Levi Mitchell is 4th is passing yards with 1958 yards, has a 62.7 passing percentage and averages 8.1 yards per completion.

Calgary is 7-1, Mitchell has had great protection (while Glenn has faced tremendous adversity and no one in Calgary are saying they can't win this season with Bo Levi Mitchell

I favor Lulay stepping into the starters position, mainly based on his mobility and running ability, but I don't believe Kevin Glenn needs to be maligned in order for that to happen. I shudder to think what our record would be without him.

MENTORING

Wally Buono is given tons of credit for developing quarterbacks, as he should, even though he has never coached one. Buono's sytem of talent assessment for the position along with his philosophy of giving backup quarterbacks tons of practice reps with the starters has been a key to his success.

However, Benevedes has not had a role model in terms of when a quarterback should be named a starter or when he should enter a game from Buono.

In looking back at the quarterback controversies in the Buono era there was no shortage and here are just a few.

In 2004, Buono chose to start a rusty Dickenson, who hadn't played for most of the season over MOP Printers in the Grey Cup game, shocking football fans across the country, as well as his own team.

In 2005 Buono spent a good chunk of the year refusing to name Dickenson or Printers as his starter until Game Day. Dickenson got hurt and Buono started Printers for the last 6 regular games of the season, while having to practice throwing underhanded during practice week and pregame warmups, due to a rotator cuff injury that required off-season surgery, rather than inserting Pierce into the starters role. Then Buono named Dickenson the starter for the 2005 WDF. He inserted Printers with just over 3 minutes left and Printers almost pulled it out. Buono than offered Printers a lucrative contract to become the starter in 2006 but Printers turned it down for an NFL shot. Dickenson returned for the 2006 season but he was pissed.

In the 2006 Grey Cup game, Buono rotated Pierce into the starters role during the game and Dickenson complained that it hurt momentum during the game.

In 2007, after both Dickenson and Pierce both got hurt, Jarious Jackson started for his first time as a Leo and we went on to win 9 of our remaining 11 games and our offence led the CFL in points. However, Buono pulled Jackson in the first half of the 2007 WDF and inserted a rusty Dickenson and we lost. Buono then released Dickenson shortly after that loss.

In 2008/2009 Buono could not make up his mind between Pierce and Jackson, naming both starters at various times. In 2009, Buono signed Printers part way through the season, for insurance due to quarterback injuries. Printers would eventually be given the starters job for that season and the playoffs, and then Buono named him the our starting quarterback over Lulay for the 2010 season. Buono played Printers with a knee injury that would require total knee reconstruction, before giving the starters job to Lulay. Printers was released after the incident in Winnipeg.

For 2011-2013 we've avoided controversy at the position, sticking with Lulay until he was injured last year. We inserted DeMarco, then went to Buck Pierce and then started a rusty Lulay for the 2013 playoff and fortunately he played well.

No need to review the recent situation over the past two weeks with Glenn and Lulay, except that the philosophy changed considerably over the last two games. Lulay was rotated in early in the game for his first action and then was not going to be rotated into last week's game against the Riders and only was because Glenn was injured.

Benevedes can be criticized but he certainly has not had a blue print either.

STEWARD INJURY

Our Leos are going to go with an import at left tackle until Steward returns.

What import comes out?

1. Brown
2. Ernest Jackson (go with Haidara and insert Adekelo onto the 46 man roster)
3. Stefan Logan (only one carry and 3 passes last week)
4. Khalif Mitchell (go with Westerman)
5. Smith (go with Menard)
6. Jamal Johnson (use the nickelback)
7. Ronne Yell (use Parker instead)
8. Schmitt (use McCallum to punt)
9. Other

Love to hear your thoughts.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
South Pender
Legend

Excellent and thought-provoking analysis, Blitz, as always. I have just one point to make. I agree with you 100% about Kevin Glenn (I've posted to this effect already). I absolutely agree that had he been pulled in the Rider game for Lulay, it's very doubtful that the outcome would have been different. Had Benny switched his QBs, I believe that Lulay would have struggled mightily, we would have been even worse on offense, and many members of this forum would have, in this past week, been dumping on Benny for rocking the boat with a dubious coaching decision. In some ways, Benny is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I guess that's why he's getting the big bucks.

Sure, things have gone badly on O for Lions lately, but, as you say, Blitz, this is really not on Glenn. I'd go even further than you have (and go against what I sense is the prevailing sentiment on this forum) and suggest that Lulay should not start the next game, but should be held in reserve in case things go badly, with the plan that he will go in in such circumstances. He'll be 2-weeks further along in his recovery, will have had many more reps in practice, and may be OK in a limited role. And I think that, if we do go with Lulay as the starter and keep him in the games, we will be disappointed if we expect a dramatic turnaround in our offensive fortunes. He will be rusty and will start slowly. It may take two or three games for him to get comfortable. And, heaven forbid, he may not be sufficiently rehabbed to avoid further injuring his shoulder. Of course, I hope I`m completely wrong about all of this and that, if Lulay does come in, he plays lights-out and saves the season. But, I`m just not convinced that he`s quite ready yet for full-time action. Getting the running game straightened out and flying right seems to me to be a surer course of action towards turning things around.

Edit. Ok, I have a second thought. In your list of alternatives for getting the international LT onto the roster, I`d definitely go with your Option 2. Ernest Jackson has been a bit of a disappointment, it seems to me, so far this season.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'd agree with South P. on E. Jackson being the odd INTERNATIONAL man out. NO WAY, IMO, can Brown come out. He's been on fire and has earned to stay on the roster.

I don't recall being on the latest "whats Benny doing with the QB's debate" but I certainly was baffled last week versus the Argos. It made no sense to me then (others disagreed, probably still do) but using the logic he tried to use, then perhaps Lulay deserved to be able to 'get back in there' during the Riders game too using that post-Argo-game logic by the HC. IMO, Glenn was doing JUST FINE, both games. In fact, Lulay playing versus the Argos seemed to disrupt things but thatis just my :2cents: Maybe it just disrupted things FOR ME, which really doesn't matter much anyways.... :wink:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great recap, Blitz.

Re the QB ...

I like them both. Benny can start either one and it will be OK with me. Just decide. We were kind of led to believe that there was a clear cut plan for the QBs. It seemed to depend on Lulay's health. But the inserting Lulay option seemed to slow down considerably after an early entry in one game. Now both QBs are waiting for Benny to make his decision. Is Lulay 100%? Seems to be. Tried the long ball at game end. Not a howitzer, but then he has never had the strongest arm.

Can we get good protection for either one? Glenn seems to have very little time to look things over. Quick read, and the ball is gone. That's it. It won't be any better for Lulay. And might be worse. He looks to take off and run. I expect teams will load up the box and blitz the heck out, watching the lanes of escape.

Not an easy call for Benny.

Re the offence ...

Can we crank up the run game? Teams overload and fill the gaps. No hole. No time for the QB either. Will we be more assertive in what we try? Stretch the field more? Without a running game, our pass attack is going to under hellacious pressure. And, if we can't get a passing attack going, our run game is likely to be stuffed.

Re Steward ...

Shame that he got injured. Doing such a good job. Watched him closely on many plays. His postioning is so sound. His footwork very good. His size and strength make it very difficult for a rush end to overpower him, or drive him back, or get him off balance. His long arms give him great contact. At the end of the rush, he is able to push the end far past the QB, with one final shot.

Replacement? Ramsey has been injured. Hardrick has been injured. Moreland? Fabien? Valli? Tough situation. Someone will suit up.

Westerman? I've always liked what he brings. Is he going to be traded as rumours have suggested?

Not offering personnel answers here. Benny can make those calls.

It is always a challenge. That might be what we need. Backs against the wall.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I'd agree with South P. on E. Jackson being the odd INTERNATIONAL man out. NO WAY, IMO, can Brown come out. He's been on fire and has earned to stay on the roster.

I don't recall being on the latest "whats Benny doing with the QB's debate" but I certainly was baffled last week versus the Argos. It made no sense to me then (others disagreed, probably still do) but using the logic he tried to use, then perhaps Lulay deserved to be able to 'get back in there' during the Riders game too using that post-Argo-game logic by the HC. IMO, Glenn was doing JUST FINE, both games. In fact, Lulay playing versus the Argos seemed to disrupt things but thatis just my :2cents: Maybe it just disrupted things FOR ME, which really doesn't matter much anyways.... :wink:

The FACT that Tim Brown IN or OUT is even a topic of conversation and covered in media stories speaks volumes about the quality of leadership in the HC of the BC Lions. Maybe hubris and arrogance is squeezing out this guy's ability to think like a HC.

Parallel: Last year Hufnagel is asked by the Sarah Orlesky IIRC on TSN if Kevin Glenn was underrated. His response: 'You're talking to the wrong guy.' He couldn't have gotten that message out clearer and sent it to a lot of the right people.

Simple, clear, consistent message from him and his OC in other stories AND players like team leader and fan fav Nik Lewis. NO CONTROVERSY.

But here what happen??. BROWN is BRILLIANT and the HC talks of him as a role model but says he might not play.
What message is that to the team - to the player - to the fans - to the media?

How is that NOT one fan says leave BROWN OUT??????? But a HC even thinks this and then says it out loud!!!????? That is a brutal act of bad leadership bordering on the incompetent.

How is performance evaluated by this guy? Players won't say what they think but the only guy who would agree with the HC on sitting out Brown would be the guy who would have to sit out instead.

Why would the Lions use a freaking import punter?? Develop a kicker.....
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

At this point I don't think that Lulay has seen enough live action to be in game shape and ready to go for 60 minutes. That is why I would have inserted him into the Rider game in the 3rd quarter. It was not Glenn's fault that the offence bogged down and had a slew of 2 and outs and Lulay might not have done any better or worse but he would have gotten rid of some rust.

Against Ottawa I would play Glenn in the first half and Lulay in the second and then make Lulay the starter in the following game against the Bombers. I just hope Glenn is healthy enough to play in 2 weeks time.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm a bit biased in favor for Ernest Jackson, as I also was with Nick Moore Courtney Taylor when they were languishing on the bench behind Simon and at the time.

Actually, considering how often we throw to Arceneaux and Taylor, as well as Harris, who are 3rd, 4th, and 9th respectively in CFL receiving (3 Leo recievers in the Top 10) Jackson is presently 13th in CFL receing, giving us 4 receivers in the Top 15. Jackson catches almost everything thrown to him, taking advantage of his lesser opportunities. Jackson, to me has not been a disappointment - what has been disappointing is that we haven't thrown wide more often, mostly due to a lack of time for our quarterbacks to throw the football outside. Quick release throws usually go to slot backs unless its a hitch screen.

PASS RECEIVING NO YDS AVG LG TDs
BOWMAN, A EDM 49 619 12.6 41 5
DENMARK, C WPG 36 591 16.4 58 1
ARCENEAUX, E BC 29 481 16.6 53 5
TAYLOR, C BC 41 461 11.2 39 2
MCDANIEL, M CAL 33 437 13.2 38 3
OWENS, C TOR 35 431 12.3 49 2
BAGG, R SSK 27 414 15.3 42 1
HENRY, M OTT 33 414 12.5 39 1
HARRIS, A BC 27 388 14.4 55 3
MOORE, N WPG 26 379 14.6 51 0
FULLER, J CAL 28 366 13.1 36 5
KELLY, A WPG 20 305 15.3 47 2
JACKSON, E BC 24 298 12.4 65 1
GRIGSBY, N WPG 34 292 8.6 45 1
SMITH, T SSK 22 271 12.3 59 2
GETZLAF, C SSK 19 270 14.2 32 0
GORE, S BC 16 269 16.8 43 0
WEST, J CAL 11 268 24.4 74 0
CARTER, M OTT 18 267 14.8 60 1
CARTER, D MTL 28 263 9.4 52 0
GUYTON, A EDM 28 254 9.1 48 2
GIGUERE, S HAM 17 252 14.8 57 0
MILES, W OTT 15 250 16.7 55 1
TASKER, L HAM 21 246 11.7 39 1
KOHLERT, R WPG 17 238 14.0 31 2
ADAMS, D TOR 18 237 13.2 45 1
WATT, S TOR 19 232 12.2 33 1
CHAMBERS , S EDM 20 229 11.5 39 1
GABLE, C HAM 17 223 13.1 82 2
LONDON, B MTL 14 219 15.6 48 0
STAFFORD, K MTL 18 217 12.1 49 1
COOMBS, A TOR 22 214 9.7 46 0
JOHNSON, K OTT 17 214 12.6 43 0
GRANT, B HAM 25 211 8.4 21 1
GREEN, S MTL 13 204 15.7 38 1
SWAIN, B SSK 13 204 15.7 37 2
FEOLI GUDINO, J WPG 23 200 8.7 22 2
KOCH, C HAM 13 199 15.3 49 0
WHITAKER, B MTL 27 197 7.3 43 1
STEELE, C TOR 21 196 9.3 26 1
WALKER, C OTT 17 192 11.3 48 1
FANTUZ, A HAM 21 188 9.0 17 0
COLLINS, D OTT 16 187 11.7 53 1
PARKER, A CAL 13 178 13.7 58 2
MANN, M TOR 14 173 12.4 25 1
ELLINGSON, G HAM 13 170 13.1 30 0
BARNES, J TOR 16 165 10.3 21 3
LAWRENCE, K EDM 12 164 13.7 38 1
COEHOORN, N EDM 19 154 8.1 31 1
LOGAN, S BC 15 153 10.2 18 0
STAMPS, F EDM 11 149 13.5 42 1
BANKS, B HAM 11 147 13.4 53 1
SLATON, S TOR 13 146 11.2 24 2
BRADWELL, M TOR 20 145 7.3 18 1
SMITH, R SSK 11 137 12.5 39 0
SINOPOLI, B CAL 15 133 8.9 27 0
DURIE, A TOR 10 130 13.0 34 0
SUTTON, T MTL 6 119 19.8 71 0
DESLAURIERS, E MTL 14 116 8.3 27 0
WATSON, C WPG 7 114 16.3 47 2

However, with our Canadian receving depth that haven't really been given an opportunity (Haidara, Adekelu, Tomasiuk) along with Poblah and Iannuzzi, we can afford to start another Canadian at receiver.

For me, I would choose Jamal Johnson. We use Josh Johnson more at nickel back in that spot and rarely use Jamal as a linebacker, mostly on first down, and we haven\t done a good job shutting down the run on first down anyway.. Chin and Aragki as well as well as backup nickel Hardy Tuliau can all step in. A second choice would be to let McCallum punt for a game and see how he does.

This one will be interesting South Pender. Reassuring to read your thoughts on Glenn.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

2. Ernest Jackson (go with Haidara and insert Adekelo onto the 46 man roster)
No disrespect to Jackson, but put in Haidara. He's needed on Special Teams over Yell and can play Jackson's position to boot.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I would delete Jackson.
Rammer
Team Captain

I am going to voice my opposition to the love in with Glenn. Lions knew coming into the season that they needed someone that was proven, they got Glenn, and I am good with that. However, Glenn's reputation was a guy who failed in the big games, so far this season, he has been that guy. Way too many INT's on his part, even blaming the OL for not helping him, he has thrown the ball into coverage rather than take a hit. I am not saying that he isn't a seviceable QB in the CFL, he has proven that. However, given how tight the West is, you have to get more out of the number 3 passer in CFL history. His mobility has gone from adequate, to I hope that he can make it outside the hash marks. Either the front 7's of the league are getting faster, or Glenn has actually slowed to the point that I bet Guilio Caravatta could out race him. That doesn't cut it in today's CFL, again he is a decent fill in for Lulay, but the QB position has to get better fast, as under his leadership the Lions are out of the playoff race halfway through the season. Yes it would have been worse without him, but this D is too good to waste their efforts on. Losing to the Als early in the season was a disaster looking back, the Riders game was a huge game that he couldn't move the ball in. Good QB's win both those games IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I am going to voice my opposition to the love in with Glenn. Lions knew coming into the season that they needed someone that was proven, they got Glenn, and I am good with that. However, Glenn's reputation was a guy who failed in the big games, so far this season, he has been that guy. Way too many INT's on his part, even blaming the OL for not helping him, he has thrown the ball into coverage rather than take a hit. I am not saying that he isn't a seviceable QB in the CFL, he has proven that. However, given how tight the West is, you have to get more out of the number 3 passer in CFL history. His mobility has gone from adequate, to I hope that he can make it outside the hash marks. Either the front 7's of the league are getting faster, or Glenn has actually slowed to the point that I bet Guilio Caravatta could out race him. That doesn't cut it in today's CFL, again he is a decent fill in for Lulay, but the QB position has to get better fast, as under his leadership the Lions are out of the playoff race halfway through the season. Yes it would have been worse without him, but this D is too good to waste their efforts on. Losing to the Als early in the season was a disaster looking back, the Riders game was a huge game that he couldn't move the ball in. Good QB's win both those games IMO.
I concur. Holding on to the ball too long instead of throwing the pigskin away.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I would delete Jackson.
Agree with you and Cromartie.
leo4life
All Star

Brown in replace E.Jackson with Haidara
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Poblah has played both wideout positions. He took first-team reps on the short side in training camp when Jackson was injured and has been ahead of Haidara on the depth chart when they've been on the same side. He would likely be first in line to replace Jackson. In training camp I thought Poblah could displace Jackson as starter. Jackson has made some big catches but his lack of speed has limited his effectiveness on crossing routes, and the Lions have seldom gone deep to the short-side wideout, unlike last year when Arceneaux played the position and was a conistent deep threat. Jackson is averaging just 33 yards a game and has just two catches of over 30 yards, although both of which were key plays. As Blitz noted, the Lions haven't made good use of either wideout position. Poblah's quickness could be an asset.