Lions guarantee win over ‘Riders Sunday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

‎BC Lions Football Club president and CEO Dennis Skulsky made a historic announcement this afternoon by guaranteeing a win over the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Sunday afternoon when the teams meet at BC Place presented by Save-On-Foods. It’s the first time in the club’s 61 seasons that it has publicly announced a guaranteed win.

“The Saskatchewan Roughriders have challenged this community,” said Skulsky. “They have purchased billboards promoting their team and they’re hosting a ‘Rider fan party and rally in our backyard. We’re a very good football team and we’re here to proudly represent this city and this province. The best way to do that is to win on Sunday and we guarantee that will happen.”

If the Lions fall short of their goal, all fans in attendance can redeem their game ticket from Sunday’s tilt for a ticket of equal value to one of the club’s four remaining regular season home games.

The guarantee comes almost one month after the club announced that additional seats in the upper bowl of BC Place were being made available to accommodate the demand for tickets to Sunday’s game.

“I know our fans will bring the Roar Factor on Sunday and when you combine that with the hard work and determination of our coaching staff and players, it gives everyone in our organization the confidence that together we can achieve great things,” added Skulsky.

The BC Lions (5-3) take on the Saskatchewan Roughriders (5-2) at BC Place on Sunday, August 24th at 4:00 pm. Tickets start at just $30.00 all-in, if you haven't got your tickets already we hope to see you at BC Place for this huge western showdown!
I own The Grey Cup! .com
D
Team Captain

here is the poster for the Rider Rally ... has anyone seen this Billboard? Where?
Riderville-BC-Tour-Poster.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WOW! :shock:

Must really be hoping to get a big crowd. Guaranteeing a WIN? Not so sure. Certainly bulletin board material, IMO. It would have been cool to reference the Riderville BILLBOARD after a Lions win Sunday, I think (should one occur). CFL games have too many variables to guarantee a win, IMO.
Rammer
Team Captain

Just this one D...
Entertainment value = an all time low
D
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Image

Just this one D...
OK ... I like it .. it's funny ... but it certainly is a shot over the bow in any opponents city.

I'm glad the Lions have found a way to respond. All they need to do now is win :roar: :cheer: :roar:
:wave:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I heard the Lions planned to pull off a similar billboard gambit in Regina, but they were foiled upon discovering that Regina **doesn't have** any billboards.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
green road kill
Rookie

MR SKULSKY.

ARE YOU INSANE ????

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU HAVE DON?????

YOU HAVE ISULTED ROAD KILL!!!!!!!!!

THE IRE OF DEAD GOPHERS IS NOW APON YEE !!!!!!!

Great way to hype the game and get people in the park. The media out here is stunned with agastness(or maybe just stunned.) that anyone could think that a team as pathetic as the Lions coul beat the LEAGIONS OF DYING ROAD KILL IN ALL THERE GLORY.

I am a long time Lion fan ( Willy Flemming Kap ) and to this I say

BUCKLE IT BRING IT AND KICK THE EVER LUVING SNOT OUT OF THEM
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

green road kill wrote:MR SKULSKY.

ARE YOU INSANE ????

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU HAVE DON?????

YOU HAVE ISULTED ROAD KILL!!!!!!!!!

THE IRE OF DEAD GOPHERS IS NOW APON YEE !!!!!!!

Great way to hype the game and get people in the park. The media out here is stunned with agastness(or maybe just stunned.) that anyone could think that a team as pathetic as the Lions coul beat the LEAGIONS OF DYING ROAD KILL IN ALL THERE GLORY.

I am a long time Lion fan ( Willy Flemming Kap ) and to this I say

BUCKLE IT BRING IT AND KICK THE EVER LUVING SNOT OUT OF THEM
You need to learn how to use spellcheck
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

From a football point of view - if I were the HC - I'd be pretty annoyed and even angry at this...

The one thing smart coaches watch out in the week up to game is "team talk." If they are saying their opponent is crap - we're blowing them out - you know you're going to be in for a long day come game day. I listen to my team in the room before we take the field and watch how they warm up to see if their heads are in the game..

BUT wow.... What a freaking bold marketing move!

It does a bit smack of marketing desperation - It certainly doesn't meet this old quote's standard:
"Strategy is when you run out of ammunition but keep firing anyway."

From a strategy point of view -it's a marketing Hail Mary.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnHenry
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:From a football point of view - if I were the HC - I'd be pretty annoyed and even angry at this...

The one thing smart coaches watch out in the week up to game is "team talk." If they are saying their opponent is crap - we're blowing them out - you know you're going to be in for a long day come game day. I listen to my team in the room before we take the field and watch how they warm up to see if their heads are in the game..

It does a bit smack of marketing desperation - It certainly doesn't meet this old quote's standard:

The publicity that's been generated by this has been fantastic! Every news outlet in Canada is reporting on it. This is exactly what this market needs to get the couch potatoes back to the stadium. I'll bet the Lions sell an extra 2000+ tickets with this offer! :thup:

John Chick the league MOP?...not after Sunday.
:roar:
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:From a football point of view - if I were the HC - I'd be pretty annoyed and even angry at this...

I have zero problem with it, as ti covers the casual fan who is going to the game. Win and that fan goes home happy and maybe comes back again knowing that the Lions can win the big game, lose and that casual fan still comes back on the Lions dime, perhaps one more time to engage with the Lions and become a regular ticket purchaser. Lord knows that BC Place has enough empty seats to extend this promotion twice a year if they wanted to.

As for the football side, well the Lions had better go into each and every game with the concept of beating their opposition. It may give the Riders some material to work with, but not the direct motivation that a player or coach can give, as they are engaged on the field of play.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I give the Lions credit for a bold marketing move. According to Hunter Steward, who was on Team 1040 with Moj tonight, the players are all in. It won't cost the club anything if the Lions win, and it won't cost much if they lose other than some free tickets to people who may or may not have bought tickets to future games on their own.

My only regret is that I won't be there (I'm only available Fridays and Saturdays) and I've already given away my tickets, so someone else will get my freebies if the Lions lose. I don't think they're likely to lose, though.
dupsdell1
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:I give the Lions credit for a bold marketing move. According to Hunter Steward, who was on Team 1040 with Moj tonight, the players are all in. It won't cost the club anything if the Lions win, and it won't cost much if they lose other than some free tickets to people who may or may not have bought tickets to future games on their own.

My only regret is that I won't be there (I'm only available Fridays and Saturdays) and I've already given away my tickets, so someone else will get my freebies if the Lions lose. I don't think they're likely to lose, though.

We will see how this turns out , time will only tell.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote: Image
John Chick the league MOP?...not after Sunday.
:roar:
Green is the new Orange?

How about 67 is the new 56?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

I'm quite happy with the current 56, thank you very much. And the current 67 does his job well and with much less controversy than the old 56.