Lions guarantee win over ‘Riders Sunday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

This is a great idea. Not only does it super hype this huge game which hopefully will bring in more fans, but it also brings in more fans for a future game if we lose. As a STH I won't benefit from the free tickets, but I would probably look to redeem for a free ticket so that I can give it away to a friend who may not otherwise attend a game. This can work to bring more people in who aren't used to going to football games and hopefully rejuvenate this market. Great move!
Roar you Lions roar!
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

To echo what others have written, I think this guarantee is a shrewd marketing move and the Rider billboard provided a nice pretext for the promotion. Good on the Lions for seizing the opportunity.

The big effect has been in the media, obviously, who now have a storyline and further fuel for banter.

Unless the Riders absolutely destroy the Lions, I can't see how this promotion can backfire; but that said, I think Skulsky et al should consider doubling down on the offer. If the Lions win, the team should announce presenting your ticket will result in some further offer (50% off, 2for1, etc) at a future game. In the event of a win, the crowd will be pleased as they filter out of the stadium --the team should capitalise on these good feelings by giving a further incentive for them to attend again. The post game spin from management in the event of a win could be, "our fans made the difference in this win. And we need you agaiJamestwo weeks when Winnipeg comes to town. The west is tight. We need your help."

My two cents.

Cheers,

James
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
JohnHenry wrote: Image
John Chick the league MOP?...not after Sunday.
:roar:
Green is the new Orange?

How about 67 is the new 56?
Love that picture :thup: :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

To echo what others have written, I think this guarantee is a shrewd marketing move and the Rider billboard provided a nice pretext for the promotion. Good on the Lions for seizing the opportunity.

The big effect has been in the media, obviously, who now have a storyline and further fuel for banter.

Unless the Riders absolutely destroy the Lions, I can't see how this promotion can backfire; but that said, I think Skulsky et al should consider doubling down on the offer. If the Lions win, the team should announce presenting your ticket will result in some further offer (50% off, 2for1, etc) at a future game. In the event of a win, the crowd will be pleased as they filter out of the stadium --the team should capitalise on these good feelings by giving a further incentive for them to attend again. The post game spin from management in the event of a win could be, "our fans made the difference in this win. And we need you agaiJamestwo weeks when Winnipeg comes to town. The west is tight. We need your help."

My two cents.

Cheers,

James
Great idea :thup:
Heathcliff
Rookie

I think this is a great idea. I don't see why the HC would be upset about it, this is purely a marketing strategy to get butts in seats in a market with a ton of competition for entertainment dollars. I already bought my tickets before I heard about this promotion, but now I know that even if we don't stick it to the hated Riders and their fans, I get to come back and hopefully watch the Lions redeem themselves. I'm also more inclined to spend my limited entertainment budget on Lions games in the future knowing that the organization is willing to make an effort to generate a buzz around this team.
Roaring Fan Since 82!!
Rookie

I'm a pretty humble person, and a huge Lions fan, and when I first heard this I thought it was a bad move. You always respect your opponent. Even if they buy billboards in your town. Just take it to them on the field.

However, after reading the comments here, and how it is a marketing ploy to boot. (I'm all for promoting the CFL) Then it's fine by me. I guess I'm such a big CFL and Lions fan I tend to forget the League needs bigger numbers to survive and anything to help is a good thing.

Roaring Fan.
Da Lions rule!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

After listening to Dennis Skulsky on CTV it appears that it was a well thought marketing ploy rather than an off the cuff remark.
Gerry
Legend

I like it. This instantly made this game twice as interesting.
Enough is enough.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As a carefully planned promotion, it breaks new ground. There is usually some fear or bravado in making such a boast. As this is a marketing move, most of that is removed. It does up the ante in the game.

Only downside: If we came up a clinker. Not likely, based on our form so far. We have fought hard in the games. We got blown out first time around by Montreal, as we were unprepared for the all out blitz. What a shocker! Unprepared for the blitz. LOL

Bring on the little greenies. Bring on the watermelon heads.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:After listening to Dennis Skulsky on CTV it appears that it was a well thought marketing ploy rather than an off the cuff remark.
Yeah, sounds like it was locked and loaded, just waiting for the right time to play that card.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
JohnHenry
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:After listening to Dennis Skulsky on CTV it appears that it was a well thought marketing ploy rather than an off the cuff remark.
Yeah, sounds like it was locked and loaded, just waiting for the right time to play that card.
The Lions wouldn't want to issue this guarantee against a perceived weak team, like Hamilton or Ottawa, as it might be construed as taunting or piling on. But against the defending Grey Cup champion there are few worries there.

It could be so beneficial attracting 30,000 new fans to the next 4 Lions games, which should be exciting hard-fought battles against divisional opponents, the Lions might want to give away those tickets even if the Lions win? :wink:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Watching GlobalBC this morning they talked about it. Sounds to me like Skulsky went about this totally the right way. He first approached Buono and Benevides about the idea. Once he had their blessing he talked to the players about it and found they were fully supportive of it. It wasn't until after he'd talked to football ops and the players that he announced it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Watching GlobalBC this morning they talked about it. Sounds to me like Skulsky went about this totally the right way. He first approached Buono and Benevides about the idea. Once he had their blessing he talked to the players about it and found they were fully supportive of it. It wasn't until after he'd talked to football ops and the players that he announced it.
On Thursday, Matt Sekeres did his midday 1040 show live from Lions' practice in Surrey, which gave DS the purrfect platform to go on air and announce it live. I don't think he was even a scheduled guest that day (seemed to be several somewhat impromptu appearances throughout by various members of the organisation) but he took care to mention clearing it with FO.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnHenry wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
The Lions wouldn't want to issue this guarantee against a perceived weak team, like Hamilton or Ottawa, as it might be construed as taunting or piling on. But against the defending Grey Cup champion there are few worries there.

It could be so beneficial attracting 30,000 new fans to the next 4 Lions games, which should be exciting hard-fought battles against divisional opponents, the Lions might want to give away those tickets even if the Lions win? :wink:
If the Lions do loose, the free tickets will turn out to be the best most creative way of papering a stadium that i have ever heard of.
A very good PR move by the Lions and well executed by the Lions. :beauty:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Fans seem to be evenly split between Like It, Don't Like It and Wait til Monday on Team 1040's poll.