Cohon done as COMMISSIONER

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

COHON WILL NOT SEEK THIRD TERM AS CFL COMMISSIONER

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=459858

COHON is done as commissioner as of spring of 2015

Too bad , I do not think there will be another Commissioner like him , I only hope who ever they hire can keep it going.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hi-def is becoming a big challenge for the professional sports world. He's getting out while the getting's good.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I liked the work he did. Very positive personality. Fun. Braley picks good men.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Like he said 'EIGHT YEARS, time flies'.

IMO, the CFL has some tough shoes to fill. Definately did a good job as Commish, IMO...
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:Like he said 'EIGHT YEARS, time flies'.

IMO, the CFL has some tough shoes to fill. Definately did a good job as Commish, IMO...
I would agree to an extent, not sure why he couldn't pull off the current TSN contract at an earlier stage, the CFL had great TV numbers for a few years prior to this contract.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

An open letter to CFL fans from Commissioner Mark Cohon
Posted: August 20, 2014 02:55 PM
Updated: August 20, 2014 03:01 PM

Dear CFL Fans

Today I informed our Board of Governors that I will not seek a third term as Commissioner of the Canadian Football League.

This is a very personal decision. I knew in my gut when I came here that the CFL was the right place for me and I have never regretted that decision. Today, those same instincts are telling me it is time to move on to tackle new challenges and opportunities.

I won’t be going anywhere for a while. I have indicated my willingness to complete my current term as Commissioner. It doesn’t expire until April 2015 but I wanted to give our Governors ample time to find the right person for this important position. Their search will begin immediately. And I will continue to work as Commissioner for the rest of this season and for months to come.

Still, I can’t help but reflect. It’s incredible how quickly time flies. This is my eighth season as Commissioner, and I have loved every minute of working on behalf of our iconic franchises, with our elite and unselfish athletes, and for you, our wonderful fans.

Thank you so much.

Our league has come a long way over these years. You have made every advance possible.

• When we debuted the REDBLACKS this season, you packed the place.

• When we celebrated the 100th Grey Cup, you came to every event, and when we took our historic trophy from coast to coast to coast by plane, train and automobile, you were on board, often literally.

• When we visited Atlantic Canada, you came with us, or were already there for us.

• When we declared This is Our League, you cheered.

• When we sat down to negotiate a transformative deal with TSN and RDS, you armed us with great ratings.

• When we said we needed new stadiums, you showed your support to help make them happen.

• When we launched the Fan State of the League, you filled the room with energy, emotion and tough questions.

• When we launched the SunLife Grey Cup Fan March, you filled the streets with fun and emotion and, as I knew would happen, not one of you dropped the Grey Cup, and all of you cherished the moment.

• When I asked for your rule changes, you had the most innovative ones.

• When I asked for your input, you took the time to write or call or email or tweet, and each and every time, your passion for our league shone through.

• And when I wandered into the stands, into a Sea of Green or Box J or any one of the special places that has made this league what it is, you welcomed me and my family with open arms, good humour, and the occasional priceless one-liner.

Commissioners come and go. So do coaches and quarterbacks. Our league and game are much bigger than any one person. The CFL will continue to grow and succeed in the future because of you, our fans.

Still, I hope the CFL is better for the time I have spent here. I know I am and always will be.

Thank you for everything.

Mark
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Ravi
Legend

Rammer wrote:

I would agree to an extent, not sure why he couldn't pull off the current TSN contract at an earlier stage, the CFL had great TV numbers for a few years prior to this contract.
IIRC, Cohon only had the opportunity to negotiate one TV contract which is the current one. Keith Pelley, under Tom Wright's stewardship as commissioner, negotiated the previous exclusive TV deal with TSN.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Ravi wrote:
Rammer wrote:

IIRC, Cohon only had the opportunity to negotiate one TV contract which is the current one. Keith Pelley, under Tom Wright's stewardship as commissioner, negotiated the previous exclusive TV deal with TSN.
The previous regime deserves credit for the first TSN deal which is in reality a partnership that became the foundation for the new deal. It took more than just great TV numbers for TSN to cut this deal. They also have to totally believe in not just the product but also have confidence in the strength and stability of the league itself. It's the progress the CFL has made in that regard under Cohon's stewardship that allowed TSN to shell out the coin they did. Without that business stability amongst the league and its teams no way TSN ponies up that much money even if the ratings are as good or better.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

He will be a hard act to follow but at least the league has time to start looking for a replacement. Cohon himself may have some ideas in that regard that he can pass on to the league.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Thanks Mark Cohon, you did an outstanding job. :beauty:

Who is Cohon's #2? Is there maybe a David Stern/Adam Silver type transition coming?
almo89
Legend

I think he's the only commissioner in pro sports that is generally well liked by the fans. Most of the other guys get booed during public events. He seems to have a very approachable persona. He will be missed. I wonder who will be the next guy.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote:Thanks Mark Cohon, you did an outstanding job. :beauty:

Who is Cohon's #2? Is there maybe a David Stern/Adam Silver type transition coming?
Jim Lawson has been the CFL BOG chair since Sep 2013. Not sure if his role will change with MC's exit.

http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/101075
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Cohon is leaving on top on his own terms. Outstanding job.
Ravi
Legend

sj-roc wrote:

Jim Lawson has been the CFL BOG chair since Sep 2013. Not sure if his role will change with MC's exit.

I have considered Michael Copeland to be Cohon's "second in command". Copeland has been President & Chief Operating Officer for quite some time now: http://www.cfl.ca/page/bio-michael-copeland

I am not sure if Copeland's personality is quite like Cohon's but the league may have a hard time finding a Cohon clone. Copeland seems to have contributed greatly to the league in his role however and I am sure that he will get consideration for the commissioner position if he is interested.
dupsdell1
Champion

Ravi wrote:
sj-roc wrote:

I have considered Michael Copeland to be Cohon's "second in command". Copeland has been President & Chief Operating Officer for quite some time now: http://www.cfl.ca/page/bio-michael-copeland

I am not sure if Copeland's personality is quite like Cohon's but the league may have a hard time finding a Cohon clone. Copeland seems to have contributed greatly to the league in his role however and I am sure that he will get consideration for the commissioner position if he is interested.

He sounds impressive , I do not think no matter who you hire you are not going to get another Cohon. I remember before ackles died calling Mark Cohon next best CFL commissioner he has ever seen.