the worst eastern division since 1981 ?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:I'm sure its happened before, but not in my memory, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THE EAST DOMINATED? The cyclical description Cole describes would mean the East is the BEAST sometimes, instead of almost always the least.....
There was a stretch around the turn of the century (1999-2004) where the east had the edge over the west for three out of six years, most recently in 2004, but for only one of these three times was the edge more than six games. There were two other years (1992 and 1996) where the east also had an edge and twice it was a wash (1998 and 2000). It's been all west since 1981 except for these seven seasons. Only in one of these, 2001, could you argue that the east was truly dominant; incidentally, the west won the Grey Cup that year with a losing team against a heavily favoured eastern team sporting a much better, winning record.

Western record against eastern teams:
These numbers are through yesterday's Edm-Tor game. The edge has never been as huge as it is right now.

EDIT: I should have put a total on the bottom of that table: 698-455-10.
Thanks for posting (and all the work that went into the post too!).

I'm probably oversimplyfying but I still think its the unbalanced divisions that come into play. Before the crossover rule came into play a team from the east only had to get ahead of one team to make the playoffs. A strong team in the west (10 or more wins) won't even get to host a playoff game if they finish in third or lower. Four teams in a fight for three spots will never have it as tough as FIVE teams fighting for three spots.

And if ever does get that bad, the team in the east can still qualify for the crossover. IOW, the entire division would get to make the playoffs but that would mean THREE AWFUL western teams. Hope it never happens for EVERYBODIES SAKE! :dizzy:

I think the wins/losses on the schedules will even out somewhat because its obvious lots of intradvisional games have been played so far. For e.g. two teams from the east will be getting WINS this weekend (unless the games end in ties). At least a team that 'wins' second place in the east division is going to have some WINS in its column too.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

For what it's worth Bodog has now made the Calgary Stampeders as the odds favourite to win the Grey Cup followed by Saskatchewan Roughriders, Edmonton Eskimoes and the Lions.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:For what it's worth Bodog has now made the Calgary Stampeders as the odds favourite to win the Grey Cup followed by Saskatchewan Roughriders, Edmonton Eskimoes and the Lions.
... yet it's not out of the question that one of these teams could actually miss the playoffs altogether. :dizzy:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:For what it's worth Bodog has now made the Calgary Stampeders as the odds favourite to win the Grey Cup followed by Saskatchewan Roughriders, Edmonton Eskimoes and the Lions.
... yet it's not out of the question that one of these teams could actually miss the playoffs altogether. :dizzy:
I think those four teams all make the playoffs, not sold on Winnipeg.

As far as seeding/ranking, I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole, way too early.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Good grief. I might be busy putting up Christmas lights that day (GC Sunday).
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote:I think those four teams all make the playoffs, not sold on Winnipeg.

As far as seeding/ranking, I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole, way too early.
Not arguing, just hoping you are BANG ON :rockin:

Besides a team like the Bombers, whose well removed from the annual grind to make the playoffs, shouldn't be able to get in on their first try back in the west, right? :wink:
Hawkballer 14
Champion

notahomer wrote:Besides a team like the Bombers, whose well removed from the annual grind to make the playoffs, shouldn't be able to get in on their first try back in the west, right? :wink:
That's what I'm thinking. The old adage: "You have to lose before you can win..."