Leo/Argos Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Great comments Blitz and everyone else...lots of excellent points made...as for the game, the Lions will be in tough with the key injuries they have, and being on the road in the east where they have been poor for quite a while now...like Blitz said, on O when we run the football well, we win...on D, if we don't put pressure on Ray, we will be in trouble...if Washington plays passive against Ray, he will pick us apart...as for S Ts, we have lots of talent, we just have to get the proper coaching in place to use it effectively...

Big question also, when does Lulay play...with Kevin Glenn's appalling lack of care for the football, it should be sooner than later, but we will see...again, great job everyone!
Lulay had 11 interceptions last season in a shortened season, due to his shoulder injury. While Glenn has thrown a few balls that he should not have, the major problem for both quarterbacks has been too much pressure and a passing game too oriented towards the slots and tailback due to that pressure...and the result has been a lot of defensive cheating.

I have a question for you MLF. Last season, you often bemoaned the loss of Khalif Mitchell (as did I) as well as our lack of a big penetrating tackle who could take on a double team. Last season we finished second in the CFL in run defense, giving up only 94.4 yards per game.

This season, with Khalif Mitchell back in the fold, we are dead last in shutting down the run in the CFL and giving up an average of 110 yards per game. This stat is not due an increased focus on pass defense either - last year we were best against the pass in the CFL while this season our pass defense is second best in the CFL, so far this season. This season we are 7th in the CFL in sacking the quarterback while last season we were sixth.

Bringing back Khalif Mitchell, signing free agent Jamal Johnson, and going with a bigger nickel back (Josh Johnson) over the sligher Korey Banks was supposed to make us a better team against the run, which, in retrospect, wasn't all that bad at 2nd in the CFL and a hell of a lot better than this season.

What do you think are the reasons for this drop in run stopping ability by our defense so far this season MLF? I'm really interested in your thoughts on this.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
JohnHenry
Champion

Rushing yardage against as an isolated stat can be misleading. We should also take into account the number of rushing attempts (avg. yardage per attempt). If opponents get a lead in the 2nd half, they tend to run the ball more often, trying to burn the clock. In that scenario, they will gain fewer passing yardage in the 2nd half. But that doesn't necessarily mean the pass defence has improved? :ref:
David
Team Captain

Not sure where "dead last" stat comes from, but this is the latest from the league that shows the Leos 6th. I think what's weighing down our average rushing yards on defence are the the mental lapses that seem to occur every game. It's not like teams are ripping off 7-8 yards every time they touch the ball. Nothing like it. But it's things like Lefevour ripping off a 63 yards run last week, and Martell Mallett galloping for 57 yards in Calgary (thanks to a field judge's pick on Torri Williams!). I would suggest the "mode" number is more like 3 yards. That and the fact that as teams aren't able to pass on us (we're 2nd overall in pass defense), they're having to try and run more.

Rushing Yards (YPG)
1. Calgary Stampeders 76.3
2. Edmonton Eskimos 87.0
3. Saskatchewan Roughriders 94.2
4. Hamilton Tiger-Cats 95.3
5. Toronto Argonauts 102.9
6. BC Lions 109.7
7. Ottawa REDBLACKS 111.0
8. Montreal Alouettes 115.8
9. Winnipeg Blue Bombers 116.1

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:Not sure where "dead last" stat comes from, but this is the latest from the league that shows the Leos 6th. I think what's weighing down our average rushing yards on defence are the the mental lapses that seem to occur every game. It's not like teams are ripping off 7-8 yards every time they touch the ball. Nothing like it. But it's things like Lefevour ripping off a 63 yards run last week, and Martell Mallett galloping for 57 yards in Calgary (thanks to a field judge's pick on Torri Williams!). I would suggest the "mode" number is more like 3 yards. That and the fact that as teams aren't able to pass on us (we're 2nd overall in pass defense), they're having to try and run more.

Rushing Yards (YPG)
1. Calgary Stampeders 76.3
2. Edmonton Eskimos 87.0
3. Saskatchewan Roughriders 94.2
4. Hamilton Tiger-Cats 95.3
5. Toronto Argonauts 102.9
6. BC Lions 109.7
7. Ottawa REDBLACKS 111.0
8. Montreal Alouettes 115.8
9. Winnipeg Blue Bombers 116.1

I made the comment David that we were last against the rush so far this season,, based upon the following stat from the CFL.

Fewest Yds Net Rushing

CAL 458
EDM 522
SSK 565
HAM 572
TOR 640
OTT 666
MTL 695
WPG 755
BC 768
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Okay, got it. Not trying to be too pedantic Blitz, but I just think YPG data is a better indicator and more insightful stat (at least until the end of the year) because the CFL schedule is so uneven.

For example, our Leos have already played 7 games (along with the Argos), Winnipeg has played 8, but the rest of the teams have only played 6, so that would skew the rushing data.

But yes, overall the Leos can do a better job tightening up their run defense, particularly on those plays this year where players have ripped off long runs of 20 yards or more. :beer:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
MexicoLionFan
Legend

First, I think that Mitchell has been nicked a little but should get back into full form soon. From my perspective, Mitchell has done his job, as has Taylor...TWO very important changes have come this season by bringing back Mitchell...first, the OLine do NOT get out on our LBs and neutralize them, the result? All Star seasons from Sol and Biggie...in fact Sol is on pace for Defensive player of the year. This is because of Mitchell and Taylor inside. Second, on EVERY down, it takes at least THREE OLinemen to neutralize Mitchell and Taylor...as a result, Smith is off to one of his best seasons at the age of 33 and Bazzie has put up All Star numbers...again, this is because they are consistently facing man to man protection.

Now, with all of this why is our run defence giving up so many yards? Mark Washington...he is constantly having both Sol and Biggie backpedal off the snap...its ridiculous. Both are patrolling a "neutral zone" of about 10-15 yards downfield. And if you have noticed, MOST of the big runs our D has given up (and that's mostly what has skewed the numbers, big running plays against) are on either DELAYS or QB scrambles...rarely has a team owned us by just lowering their helmets and running the ball right at us...just look at our D this year when it is 2nd and short...teams are having to pass against us, because we have taken those short yardage situations away from them. So why delays and QB scrambles? Again, Mark Washington...he is so concerned about getting the LBs deep (especially Sol) that we are giving up a huge hole in the middle...also, when Washington has blitzed he has often lined Sol OUTSIDE for some bizarre reason, again giving up the middle...this is how CGY ran those big plays against us...

So as Washington begins to watch film and wake up, the run yardage against will dwindle, as it should have all season long...I'll bet we finish the 2nd half of the season being the best against the run...so far this year, when Washington has gambled he has lost...these "bad" odds can't continue forever...hopefully our coaching will get better with more experience...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:Okay, got it. Not trying to be too pedantic Blitz, but I just think YPG data is a better indicator and more insightful stat (at least until the end of the year) because the CFL schedule is so uneven.

For example, our Leos have already played 7 games (along with the Argos), Winnipeg has played 8, but the rest of the teams have only played 6, so that would skew the rushing data.

But yes, overall the Leos can do a better job tightening up their run defense, particularly on those plays this year where players have ripped off long runs of 20 yards or more. :beer:

I agree David that YPG is a better indicator and a more reliable stat...my comment in my original post was just that we had given up the most rushing yards in the CFL to date but more importantly I wanted to highlight that are run defense at present, comparitatively speaking with other CFL teams, has slid this season from 2013 and 2012.

In 2012 we gave up an average of 76.4 yards per game, best in the CFL. In 2013 we gave up 94.4 yards per game, 2nd best in the CFL, without Khalif or a big tackle to compliment Taylor. This season, with Khalif back in the fold, (plus Jamal Johnson) we are giving up 109.7 yds. per game, 6th best in the CFL.

I asked MLF his thoughts on this topic. Do you have any thoughts David as to why we are either giving up so many yds. per game or why we are giving up so many big 20 yd. or more runs?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:First, I think that Mitchell has been nicked a little but should get back into full form soon. From my perspective, Mitchell has done his job, as has Taylor...TWO very important changes have come this season by bringing back Mitchell...first, the OLine do NOT get out on our LBs and neutralize them, the result? All Star seasons from Sol and Biggie...in fact Sol is on pace for Defensive player of the year. This is because of Mitchell and Taylor inside. Second, on EVERY down, it takes at least THREE OLinemen to neutralize Mitchell and Taylor...as a result, Smith is off to one of his best seasons at the age of 33 and Bazzie has put up All Star numbers...again, this is because they are consistently facing man to man protection.

Now, with all of this why is our run defence giving up so many yards? Mark Washington...he is constantly having both Sol and Biggie backpedal off the snap...its ridiculous. Both are patrolling a "neutral zone" of about 10-15 yards downfield. And if you have noticed, MOST of the big runs our D has given up (and that's mostly what has skewed the numbers, big running plays against) are on either DELAYS or QB scrambles...rarely has a team owned us by just lowering their helmets and running the ball right at us...just look at our D this year when it is 2nd and short...teams are having to pass against us, because we have taken those short yardage situations away from them. So why delays and QB scrambles? Again, Mark Washington...he is so concerned about getting the LBs deep (especially Sol) that we are giving up a huge hole in the middle...also, when Washington has blitzed he has often lined Sol OUTSIDE for some bizarre reason, again giving up the middle...this is how CGY ran those big plays against us...

So as Washington begins to watch film and wake up, the run yardage against will dwindle, as it should have all season long...I'll bet we finish the 2nd half of the season being the best against the run...so far this year, when Washington has gambled he has lost...these "bad" odds can't continue forever...hopefully our coaching will get better with more experience...
Good insight, MLF. Always a treat to read thoughtful analysis. And we get a very healthy dose of it on this site. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:First, I think that Mitchell has been nicked a little but should get back into full form soon. From my perspective, Mitchell has done his job, as has Taylor...TWO very important changes have come this season by bringing back Mitchell...first, the OLine do NOT get out on our LBs and neutralize them, the result? All Star seasons from Sol and Biggie...in fact Sol is on pace for Defensive player of the year. This is because of Mitchell and Taylor inside. Second, on EVERY down, it takes at least THREE OLinemen to neutralize Mitchell and Taylor...as a result, Smith is off to one of his best seasons at the age of 33 and Bazzie has put up All Star numbers...again, this is because they are consistently facing man to man protection.

Heard part of an interview with Khalif Mitchell in which he said that he was not expected to make plays. I guess that means his role is to occupy the offensive linemen to allow the linebackers to make the tackles.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Good breakdown, MLF. I agree, especially on Washington losing when he gambles and takes Sol and Biggie out of position to overload one side on the blitz. That's pretty easy for an opponent to read, although some of the plays that have burned the Lions appear to have been lucky play calls, rather than audibles.

Here are some more stats on B.C.'s defence:

Big plays: The Lions have given seven rushes of 20 yards or more, which is more than any other team. In many of those cases, I noticed the defensive play calls took the two linebackers out of the box.

Second down defence: The Lions have allowed a league low 4.3 yards (rushing or passing) on second down. Calgary is the only other team that gives up less than 5 yards on second down. The B.C. defence ranks second best in second-down conversions, allowing first downs only 34.9% of the time. Edmonton is marginally better at 34.1%. Those stats are a testament to the Lions' defensive personnel.

I've hated seeing the Lions get burned when they blitz or stunt. It may be dull to watch but their base defence is good enough to stop most teams without taking big risks.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

more injuries to argo offense. This should be the lions easiest game in years. lose this one and wow....
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:more injuries to argo offense. This should be the lions easiest game in years. lose this one and wow....
Umm... did you watch our visit to Tor last year against their rookie QB? This time out, we're going up against Ricky Ray and we'll be minus the services of Dante Marsh and Andrew Harris. Both teams have their share of bodies in sick bay.

The final result may differ in the end, but AFAIC at this point, this game is hardly shaping up as a Lion cakewalk. We've got an edge in that Tor is coming off the shorter turnaround — the same edge they enjoyed over Wpg on Tue — but I'm a bit concerned of looking past the Argos to the Ssk visit the following week.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:more injuries to argo offense. This should be the lions easiest game in years. lose this one and wow....
Disagree completely. B.C. is expected to be without Harris and Hardrick on offence, Glenn is hobbling, Lulay is facing his first action of the year and the Lions will have new players at four positions in the secondary against a red-hot Ricky Ray. This will be the toughest game of the year.
David
Team Captain

This is a gag post, right? :dizzy:

Did you just watch their last game against Winnipeg in which Ricky Ray systematically picked the Bomber secondary apart with only Spencer Watt as their starting receivers? A defense that was effectively in Drew Willy's face most of the game, disrupting his rhythm??

Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
This is a gag post, right? :dizzy:

Did you just watch their last game against Winnipeg in which Ricky Ray systematically picked the Bomber secondary apart with only Spencer Watt as their starting receivers? A defense that was effectively in Drew Willy's face most of the game, disrupting his rhythm??

mo mann and slaton had a lot to do with that. now they are gone too and I don't think anyone else is back yet.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back