Francesco Aquilini and the B.C. Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

A story has broken in recent days that Francesco Aquilini toyed with the idea of bidding for the Buffalo Bills: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/08/09 ... backs-off/

Are there any rumours out there about him having any interest in the B.C. Lions or are the Lions/CFL too "small time" for him? I would think that he could use the Canucks to help sell tickets for the Lions and make them more profitable.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Aquilini's name has been mentioned as someone who might be interested in buying the Lions. He says he has backed off on buying the Bills. The price is too steep. He has also inquired about bringing an NBA franchise back to Vancouver, which might be a better fit since it would be a second tenant for his Rogers Arena. I'd love that since I'm much more interested in the NBA than the NHL but there is some doubt about whether Vancouver could support two major sports teams with almost identical seasons. The Canucks became much more successful off the ice after the Grizzlies left town.
The_Pauser
Legend

I want Frank Aquilini absolutely nowhere near the BC Lions. The guy is a complete scumbag, and I can't see him being a Braley type owner doing what's best for the team. If the team weren't making money he'd either dump them, or meddle in football ops in a desperate attempt to do something to make money. In essence, he would completely undo the credibility this team had built up from when Buono and Ackles ran this team a decade ago.
Roar you Lions roar!
Spud387
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:I want Frank Aquilini absolutely nowhere near the BC Lions. The guy is a complete scumbag, and I can't see him being a Braley type owner doing what's best for the team. If the team weren't making money he'd either dump them, or meddle in football ops in a desperate attempt to do something to make money. In essence, he would completely undo the credibility this team had built up from when Buono and Ackles ran this team a decade ago.
Sorry to everyone else, but gotta agree is Pauser.

Aquilini bought the Canucks as an investment to make money. Having someone with that mindset is THE LAST kind of person you want owning the Lions.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:I want Frank Aquilini absolutely nowhere near the BC Lions. The guy is a complete scumbag, and I can't see him being a Braley type owner doing what's best for the team. If the team weren't making money he'd either dump them, or meddle in football ops in a desperate attempt to do something to make money. In essence, he would completely undo the credibility this team had built up from when Buono and Ackles ran this team a decade ago.
Dude wanting to get a return on his investment. Such a greedy...

Are there any better legitimate options? Doubtful.
The_Pauser
Legend

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
Dude wanting to get a return on his investment. Such a greedy...

Are there any better legitimate options? Doubtful.
There's a difference between wanting to get a return on investment, and doing stupid things to force something that just isn't happening and making things worse. The guy is an idiot. He would be in Murray Pezim territory if he bought the team.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another Murray Pezim ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

First of all Pezim is the guy that wined an dined Flutie to get him to come and play in the CFL for the Lions, then 1.5 years later he realized that he couldn't afford Flutie so he was dealt to Calgary.

Aquilini is the guy who when trying to make the deal to buy the Canuck, stiffed his partners out of the deal, then hired player agent Mike Giles to be his GM. We have all seen what a great job Giles did with the Canucks...NOT!
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:First of all Pezim is the guy that wined an dined Flutie to get him to come and play in the CFL for the Lions, then 1.5 years later he realized that he couldn't afford Flutie so he was dealt to Calgary.

Aquilini is the guy who when trying to make the deal to buy the Canuck, stiffed his partners out of the deal, then hired player agent Mike Giles to be his GM. We have all seen what a great job Giles did with the Canucks...NOT!
He also wined and dined a guy like Ryan Miller to come to Vancouver (even though the market for Miller's services was quite slim), and IMO overpaid to bring him here. With the Lions I could see him doing that to another big name player to make a splash (even against Buono's wishes as we all know how he feels about aging, big name players...he gets rid of them, not bring them in). Then if the support isn't there he'll meddle again and get involved in football ops, eventually forcing Buono out because he wouldn't have time to put up with this crap.

It would be a disaster. Aquilini ruined my interest in the Canucks, but I will NOT let him ruin the BC Lions for me.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

To me, another Italian-Canadian family would be a better fit: the Bosas have been Lion sponsors for several years. They're the deep pocketed construction and property developers (Nat and Robert Bosa), which have built a large chunk of condo towers in this town and have expanded south. I don't know what their level of interest is, but they certainly have the financial capital.

I know Dennis Skulsky is interested putting together a consortium of Waterboys (i.e. Moray Keith - President of the Dueck Auto Group) to purchase from David Braley. However, I am not crazy about the idea of a group of owners, and Dennis Skulsky - as friendly and approachable as he is - hasn't exactly blown me away as President and CEO of the Lions thus far.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

No question that 'ownership' is an integral part of success in the CFL, IMO. I think the CFL does a great job 'vetting' its owners now. For e.g. isn't the Ottawa ownership good?

Aquilini has had a lot of media issues recently. Kinda public divorce that he was able to keep under wraps for the most part. And the long legal lawsuit involving the the Galardi's (spelling?) who were owners of the Sandman chain over the sale of the Canucks to Aquilini....
ducepot
Rookie

Aquilini is the scum of all scumbags nickel and dimes and if you Golf just go and check out the Goat Farm Golden Eagles and the make shift passenger buses with the wooden benches for the blue berry pickers
JohnHenry
Champion

The trend is for sports conglomerates to control several teams in one city, like the Stamps purchase by Calgary Flames group, the Ottawa RedBlacks own the 67's and a NASL team, the Ticats will also operate a NASL team, and the apparent interest in the Argos by MLSE in Toronto.

The CFL and hockey go hand-in-hand as a sports business. The CFL season starts up just as the Stanley Cup Finals are ending...and finishes up just when hockey is getting serious. With co-ownership, this should allow for a crossover of staff and management, offering more full-time positions rather than seasonal, etc.

I don't know much about the Acquilini's. The Canucks seem like a well run organization and spare little to keep their players, coaches and management happy with million-dollar contracts, which I guess is the NHL trend.

But the fact is CFL teams are severely undervalued. It makes little sense that the Lions are worth $20 million, for example, while the Whitecaps and TFC are supposedly worth over $100 million (TFC $122 million according to Forbes).

Incidentally, TFC drew 22,000 viewers for a nationally-televised soccer game last week. In contrast, the Lions have led the CFL with over 800,000 viewers so far this year, the Argos draw very well on TV too.

The Roughriders earned more gross revenue last year than 10 NHL teams and sold more merchandise than the Blue Jays, Canucks, Oilers, Flames, Jets or Senators. Are the Roughriders worth $20 million too?

I believe the value of CFL teams is ready to explode, once Americans (like Forbes magazine) are made better aware of how popular and successful the league is in Canada.

So the Acquilini's could buy the Lions for $25 million today (or perhaps after the Grey Cup), earn an annual operating profit, while having the team's valuation increase to $75 million, for example. Ditto the Argos but even moreso. MLSE might buy the Argos for $10 million and within 3 years the team could become the most valuable in the league (relocated to an intimate football-oriented stadium with aggressive cross-marketing and merchandising push.)

Commissioner Cohon said that 6 of 9 teams will break-even or be profitable this season (with the highly-successful RedBlacks soon in the black, too). That's over 2/3rds of CFL teams, while reportedly more than half of NHL and NBA teams lose money...but they have incredible value. CFL teams could soon be joining that club. :thup:
Hawkballer 14
Champion

DanoT wrote:We have all seen what a great job Giles did with the Canucks...NOT!
Could probably start by spelling the dude's name right first. Also, the 90s called, they want their "Not" joke back.

Yeah, that was a pretty terrible five year run that Gillis commandeered: 2 Presidents Trophies, a run to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, five consecutive division titles, increased profitability considerably. What. A. Bum...
The_Pauser
Legend

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
DanoT wrote:We have all seen what a great job Giles did with the Canucks...NOT!
Could probably start by spelling the dude's name right first. Also, the 90s called, they want their "Not" joke back.

Yeah, that was a pretty terrible five year run that Gillis commandeered: 2 Presidents Trophies, a run to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, five consecutive division titles, increased profitability considerably. What. A. Bum...
I guess you haven't seen where the Canucks have gone now. This is possibly the worst version of the Canucks since the late 90's. Now they're losing corporate season ticketholders, and your typical average fan cannot afford to pay the ridiculous prices charged for lower-bowl tickets. The Canucks are entering a dark era and it's a direct result of Gillis not doing his job since 2011, and Aquilini getting involved and meddling with hockey ops during that time.

Keep Aquilini far far far away from the BC Lions!
Roar you Lions roar!