Lions 36 - TiCats 29 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

leo4life
All Star

Wonder why this team continues to go back to stuff that rarely works...spread,soft zone 3man rush...Jones fixated with the 6receiver set
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:punishing teams for blitzing is actually easy, but EVERYONE has to be on the same page as the QB and that takes practise. Doug and Darren Flutie got so good at it, that all Doug had to do was give a look to Darren and he knew what to do...which was usually either a short hook in, or a skinny post...we aren't doing this and I have no idea why?
How is that even a legit comparison? How long did the Fluties play together, whether on teams or on the playground?

How long have the receivers been playing with Kevin Glenn?
Wow, we don't have to emulate Doug and Darren Flutie, but my bantam team can execute an audible to adjust to the blitz...this isn't rocket science.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
leo4life
All Star

Agree MLF and this has been going on for so many years now LOL...i thought Jones was installing a new playbook...recyled Chap playbook wtf
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:One of your best, Blitz. :thup:

Home Run.
Absolutely agree on that, and of course it all comes back to coaching which has been a concern for awhile now on this board.

The one aspect that baffles me is the yardage LeFavour made, it was the one huge concern going in, from on this board, and on all media fronts. Yet there it is, another running QB racking up yardage that should have been scouted to limit the damage.

I wonder if Blitz is correct on our D getting burned due to Phillips compensating for LaRose. If that is true, it lends itself to why this is a continual weak spot on the Lions that isn't addressed, just hidden and now costing the Lions with a couple of long gains. That will get around this league quickly and you can expect more long sideline catches against the Lions, until this position is upgraded.
Rammer, I think its legit as it happened to two DBs...both Phillips and Parks were both cheating to the inside
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Agree MLF and this has been going on for so many years now LOL...i thought Jones was installing a new playbook...recyled Chap playbook wtf
Jones said that he's keeping some of Chap's old plays. Guess he threw out the plays that worked and kept the ones that don't :wink:
leo4life
All Star

LOL totally...and Washington is doing this Stubler soft zone thing...ugh....he said he was going to be an attacking defense all off season.......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I was pleased and surprised that the Lions brought pressure on Hamilton's last drive. Usually they drop back in a prevent defence.
Blitz
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:Wonder why this team continues to go back to stuff that rarely works...spread,soft zone 3man rush...Jones fixated with the 6receiver set

Chap abandoned the six receiver set a number of years ago but Jones has brought it back in a big way.

The problem with the six receiver set is that a defense can still cover all 6 receivers (zone or man) and only has to cover them for a short period of time. Some defenses like to zone and leave the outside wide side flat uncovered, others play press man coverage or change up.

That's because the defense can send 6 defenders on the blitz against 5 offensive lineman. One will be free, creating quick pressure and the need for a very quick throw, or a hit/sack on the quarterback. The only hope for a big play if for the quarterback to evade the blitz or take off and run. Of course check downs, quarterback draws and screens are effective but we rarely use them. Glenn took off for two big gains against Hamilton. Lulay's strength is his ability to take off and run or run/throw. Glenn is very good at sliding in the pocket. However, all of this puts a lot of pressure on a quarterback as well as having to endure punishment.

The problem, when we go five receiver set is that teams also blitz and stunt as well. Therefore they blitz 6 defenders. One will be free. The strategy is to prevent the blitzer coming free up the middle and instead forcing the blitzer to come from the outside. We don't do this well. The other two strategies are to keep the tailback in to block or to release the tailback against a linebacker. Keeping Harris or Logan in to block is not wise. However, defenses now cover them out of the backfield with a defensive back now and are really focused in.

The better strategy is to go with a tight end or off-set back. Lumbala is used in this role but we do not go tight end set as often this year. A good strategy would be to line up a big receiver like Haidara at tight end. That allows more blitz protection, gives the quarterback more time, frees the tailback from being primarily a blocker and gives the tailback time to run more than a flat pattern and to go downfield at times or run a crossing pattern. The tight end can also be released on a pass pattern or used as a check down or a screen man. The tight end helps the running game, the pass blocking game, and can also be a receiver. Lumbala is rarely accounted for as a check down or screen man. However a receiver like Haidara could also be rotated into this role as well and be utilized as a receiver more than Lumbala.

The only person being replaced with the tight end set up is Iannauzzi. Lumbala and Haidara would offer much more to our offence in a tight end or offset back (H back) role.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

According to the Province the injuries areÈ

Andrew Harris (sprained ankle), left guard Jermarcus Hardrick (hyperextended knee), nickelback Josh Johnson (knee), cornerback Dante Marsh (hamstring), wide receiver Ernest Jackson (ankle) and quarterback Kevin Glenn (quad contusion

Harris was hurt early and so was Glenn. Glenn got hurt on a quarterback draw in the first quarter. The positive news is that Hardrick looks to be back in the future and his injury is not season ending. I thought we should have sat Harris earlier and definitely should not have started him in the second half.

Benevedes will replace Harris with Brown because Benevedes says Brown knows our system better for 'blitz pickup'. That tells us a lot that we will still be using a lot of spread offence in future games.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Good info Blitz, thanks....

Hopefully an offence will figure out another way to beattheblitz. Why stop doing it unless you get burned.....?

IMO, it seemed like there were a few times on Friday where even the run game was slowed by the blitz.
leo4life
All Star

Thanks for the breakdown,Blitz.You should be hired by Benny as a consultant ;-)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That's positive news on Hardrick. Looked a lot worse when he was carried off the field.
leo4life
All Star

Any updates on Marsh & Johnson?
Blitz
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:Thanks for the breakdown,Blitz.You should be hired by Benny as a consultant ;-)
I realize that you made the comment in jest leo4life ...and Benny has both Wally and his Ego as his two consultants. :wink:

What I am most disappointed in, in terms of our offence so far this season, is how we have used Harris and Logan, when they are both in the starting offence together. I really thought we would see much more imagination.

I am not surprised that we are using the same playbook as in the past. In fact I really liked the offensive scheme and plays we used from 2011-2013. The spread offence introduced by John Hufnagel in Calgary is a volume offence. When Wally hired George Cortez in Calgary, after Hufnagel left, he basically used that offence. When Chap was hired, he used the same spread offence. In 2011-2013 Chap went multi-formational, often using one or two tight ends or Lumbala off-set on first down and at times on second down. He also introduced a lot of misdirection and more motion into the offence.

When Jones was hired I expected that we would keep most of our run and pass plays and we have. Jones basically was brought in as a new face for the fans and as a coach who would have a different style of communication than Chap^...he wasn't brought in to make major changes to the scheme and he hasn't.

What Jones has done is reduce the number of plays per game. Chap liked to utilize a wide variety of passing plays and the passing offence was complex to learn. Secondly, he has reduced the amount of power formations that Chap introduced in 2011 and gone more spread offence, with five and six receiver sets. He has also reduced the amount of motion and misdirection - although he did use the Chap fake reverse and throw to Harris last game. Jones was a quarterback who mostly used a version of the spread offence in Winnipeg and as an offensive coordinator in Hamilton. Under Chap, from 2011-2013, our Lions were the least spread offensive team in the CFL. We've returned to becoming more of a spread offence again with less power formations, less motion and less misdirection play action.

However, what I did anticipate this season, under Joens, was some new innovative ways to use both Harris and Logan in the backfield together. That was talked about in the off-season. We really didn't have the time to prepare an offence that would integrate both at times last season, as Logan joined the team late in 2013. Still, Chap used them both effectively together at times in the run game towards the end of last season, as well as rotate them both effectively for the run game in our rlast 3 games of 2013, using mainly power formations and we averaged 200 yards rushing per game.

With an entire off-season to prepare plays for both players, as well as formations that included using both in the backfield, its been a huge disappointment. Essentially the only formation that we have created for both is the six pack receiver set, with three receivers lined up spread out, right and left, with Logan and Harris lined up as the middle slot in this formation.

It makes no sense to me. I really don't like the six receiver set, with an empty backfield. Teams mostly blitz it. Its why Chap finally gave up on it. I can see it as a change up, once in a while, but not as we line up.

It would be much better to use the six receiver set differently. One positive way would be to go wide bunch formation to either side, with Logan and Harris lined up as the trailing receiver in the wide bunch set. Then you could use them for a hitch screen, because both are so good in space. Secondly, lining up three wide to each side of the field, with Logan and Harris stationary, just plays into the defenses hands. They will usually zone and give up the flat zone to the widest receiver, knowing that its the longest throw and the quarterback needs more time to throw it and the blitz will effectively negate it. The wide bunch makes it more difficult to defense than three wide.

Secondly the six receiver set, with Harris and Logan, would also work better if Harris and Logan were lined up as split backs, and then went into motion. The advantages would be 1) you could throw to either in motion 2) motion would give each a moving start before going into their pattern and 3) motion would make it difficult for the defense to know when they would cut upfield on their pattern and create defensive assignment problems.

However, the better strategy, in using both Harris and Logan in the offence together, would be to line up two receivers to the wide side of the field, one receiver to the short side of the field, one tight end, and have both Harris and Logan in the backfield to start with. One would go in motion to the wide side of the field, creating a three receiver set up. One would remain a tailback who could be used to block, if we wanted to go deeper on a passing route. It would allow Logan, iof he was the receiver, to go deep or be used on a longer crossing pattern to utilize his speed and also allow us to use Harris out of the backfield, especially to the three receiver side. That would create problems. Right now, with Harris and Logan lined up stationary in the three wide, all we have time for is a quick pass to either one and they are tackled immediately and Logan is not a big target for that kind of play nor is he effective, catching the ball with his back looking downfield. The formation also would allow Harris to be able to use his excellent skills in space.

If the defense over adjusts to this formation, you have one on one coverage for your receiver on the short side. If they slide the safety over, and we have lined up Gore or Haidara lined up as the tight end, we could send them on a seam pattern or a skinny post or an underneath cross with Logan crossing the other way. So many ways to use this formation and the best part is that it also contains power, with a tight end and the ability to run out of it.

It would create the best of a lot of worlds - a three receiver wide set with the abilty to get a receiver like with the ball into space and advangage his speed. It would allow us to use Harris as both a runner, running to power. It would allow us a tight end to pass block and pick up the blitz and sneak out on patterns. It would give us one on one coverage on the short side on an over adjustment or it would give us a receiver wide open on the wide side if they zone. If they man, we can run the football or isolate our best receiver.

Even worse is how we use Logan and Harris when they are both in the backfield. In split backs we should be using a lot of misdirection and counters. We could also use the I formation at times, with Harris as the upback in that formation, with Harris as the upback for quick hitters and quick inside trap plays and fake it to Harris and pitch to Logan going outside, running to the tight end side mostly. Better still we could use a lot of play action faking to one or both and buy a lot of time for our quarterback. We don't use play action effectively and we should be, especially since defenses are so worried about our running game.

Just a few thoughts...there are so many ways we could use both players more effectively. What makes Harris such a great back is his versatility. He is an excellent receiver out of the backfield. Using him mainly for check downs or flat passes or lined up stationary out wide is not the most effective use of him. Harris was second in CFL receiving going into the Hamilton game, mainly as a check down or swing to the flat receiver - but teams are now covering him with a defensive back tight to the line of scrimmage. We can give Harris more weapons.

Sadder still is how we use Logan. He should be utilized on more counters, quick tosses, quick swing patterns, hitch screens, sneaky slide screen passes, and in motion. We tend to use Logan as either a standard tailback running zone read or stretch plays or line him up as a stationary receiver. Logan is a player whose strength is getting the football in space looking downfield, where he can utilize his speed and cutting ability.

I had hoped for more out of our offence this season..taking the best from the past, adding new stuff, and especially some innovation when Harris and Logan are both in the game together. It has not happened.

I also hate to think about where we would be right now, if Harris had not played like a man possessed and Kevin Glenn was not here to start this season. Without an experienced, mentally tough quarterback to deal with the constant pressure, hits, and sacks and be resilient, we would haver been in a bad situation right now. I realize that some fans are clamoring for Lulay to come back and that is understandable. Lulay is more mobile and taller than Glenn. Glenn has thrown too many interceptions. But Travis threw 11 interceptions last year, while knowing the playbook and his receivers as well as having a solid left tackle all the time he was in there, before getting hurt.

I still believe our Lions offence can be outstanding. We just need to use our strengths better and put our best players in the best positions to make plays. We need to think about protecting our quarterbacks more, run the football from power, use play action more effectively, and make things tougher for defenses.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:Any updates on Marsh & Johnson?
Just this from Mike Beamish:
No less than six wincing and hobbling regulars were unable to participate in Saturday’s stretching session with strength and conditioning coach Chris Boyko, among them running back Andrew Harris (sprained ankle), left guard Jermarcus Hardrick (hyperextended knee), nickelback Josh Johnson (knee), cornerback Dante Marsh (hamstring), wide receiver Ernest Jackson (ankle) and quarterback Kevin Glenn (quad contusion).
“The x-rays were negative. No break, no tear,” Harris said. “They want me to walk on it to try and get as much flexibility as possible.”

Unless the situation changes dramatically, Benevides is not expecting Harris to play next Sunday against the Argos in Toronto.

The Lions could activate returner/running back Tim Brown to replace him. Brown is fresh, having made made only one start this season.

“We need a guy with pretty solid knowledge of our system to be able to pick up blitzes,” Benevides said, in favouring Brown over practice roster running back Keola Antolin.

Hardrick’s solid play at left guard, playing next to rookie left tackle Hunter Steward, has been part of the Lions’ hand-to-hand improvement in the trenches. Judging by the crutches in his possession Saturday, it would be a miracle if he is able to play in the near future.

Still, Hardick said Friday night that he had suffered a hyperextended MCL and considered that preliminary diagnosis favourable, since it doesn’t indicate a season-ending injury.

“It’s a good prognosis. I’ll be back,” he said.
Lions' win over Ticats comes at heavy physical cost