Higgins calls out Chad Johnson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:
cromartie wrote:Johnson is out of position because he can't waggle. Because he can't waggle, he has to play the wide side of the field.
It's not that Ocho can't do the waggle, he just doesn't want to. His agent said he wants back in the NFL, so Ocho probably doesn't want to learn any bad habits (or show the NFL scouts that he needs a running start).
Cromartie: The waggle is a hard skill to pick up, cannot be fully taught within the confines of a two week training camp. Add in a sub-par Receiver coach and matters aren't being helpd one bit. As far as your 1 + 1 = 2 statement, I'm not sure that is totally valid.

John Henry, assumption much??
In the Canadian game, you need that waggle to play inside, do you not? I mean, you don't if you're young and fast, but Chad Johnson is 36. Playing outside, wide side corners give him cushion to get open off the line. Playing inside, unless you're running a Hufnagel offense where you're trying to get a mismatch against a Will, he's going to be pretty well covered if he doesn't learn to motion toward the line pre-snap. Hence, the reason he's out wide.

I agree that it takes more than a two week training camp to undo 28 years of programming. I'm sure the receivers coach was poor and the QB is awful (the Target numbers for him bear this out), but he has to be willing to adapt on the fly too.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

You would think Johnson or any other receiver coming from US football would love the idea of getting a jump on the DB by using the waggle. The waggle is not there to help the D.