Re: Early Preview At Player Awards

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Now that we're at the 1/3 mark of the season (6 games in), here are some early player award selections:

Outstanding Player -
Andrew Harris (has put the team on his back in a couple of games this year. When given the rock in crunch time, he continually delivers)
Runner-Up: Solomon Elimimian

Outstanding Defensive Player –
Solomon Elimimian (49 tackles is simply off the charts good. Next best tackle leaders (Bighill and Stamps’ Brandon Smith) have 28!
Runner-Up: Eric Taylor (Bighill and Yell have also impressed)

Outstanding National –
Andrew Harris (see above)
Runner-Up: Shawn Gore (there’s a sizeable drop-off here. By season’s end it could be Hunter Steward. Paul McCallum – now 12 or 13 on the year in field goals warrants some consideration)

Outstanding Lineman –
Jovan Olafioye (not a great season by his lofty standards thus far, but the best of a disappointing (but improving?) bunch
Runner-Up: Incomplete (too much change along the line. Norman and Valli are the only other fixtures thus far, and I’d say Valli’s play has been better than Norman’s but not enough to warrant “Outstanding” consideration. Both Hardrick and Steward look promising, but the sample size is not big enough.

Outstanding Rookie –
Ronnie Yell (was on the PR late last year but has been seamlessly placed into a position that’s difficult to just step into without some growing pains. Does not get beaten often)
Runner-Up: Josh Johnson (honourable mention to Alex Bazzie with 4 sacks. By season’s end though, we could see Hunter Steward and David Menard make some noise in this category)

Surprise – Hunter Steward’s sample size is too small, but I’ve really liked what I’ve seen thus far. I thought he handled one of the best last week in Charleston Hughes admirably. I was very happy with the David Menard draft selection at #32 overall, and he looks like a keeper despite limited reps.

Disappointment – Kevin Glenn. Maybe too much was expected - Benny’s silly over-the-top pronouncements about the trade being the ‘steal of the century’ or some such nonsense didn’t help, but he has looked strangely out of synch for a 14 year vet. 9 picks is an example of some questionable decision making. Could be headed for a much better stretch run as he becomes more familiar with the offense and his receivers, but is it too late with Lulay’s imminent return?
Runner-Up – Khalif Mitchell. Can spin it anyway you wish, but we expected dominance from the likeable big guy. He’s been merely occupying space at the tackle position. Matt Norman qualifies here, and despite limited duty, Jamall Johnson hasn’t been noticeable. Hoping he has a big game this week against his old teammates.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can't argue with any of those picks.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

:thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

What about Special Teams Player?

Ricky Schmitt would seem to have a corner on that one (especially based on his one game absence). Is anyone even close to be a runner-up?
Rammer
Team Captain

You are not leaving much room for error on your selections David, which is both a positive and a negative. On the positvie side, we do have some legit candidates to represent the Lions, the negative is that there is clear cut choice in each category. I also don't think that Yell qualifies as a pure rookie, given the PR time from last year, so Josh Johnson may be the early candidate in the ROY award.

Hunter Steward is the big surprise in his short time starting at the LT position, what a find if he continues at the rate he has started off at. A huge luxury for the Lions that certainly wasn't on the chart to begin the season with. I wonder how much of that early success is based on the guards play.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

One of the things that I like about Hunter Steward is that even though he was injured all through TC, he was still a noticeable presence on the sideline. Well he is so big he is hard to miss, but he seemed to be mentally keeping his head in what was going on, just not physically able to participate. Since he went to high school and college in the US he likely had to learn the nuances of the Canadian game, just like the Americans coming to the CFL to play.

I'm going to predict that by the end of the season Steward is the consensus ROY for the Lions.
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:....I also don't think that Yell qualifies as a pure rookie, given the PR time from last year, so Josh Johnson may be the early candidate in the ROY award.
In order to be eligible as a candidate for the League award for the "Most Outstanding First Year Player" (Rookie Award), a player must meet the following criteria:

1. He had, in the current season, been named to the active roster of a member Club of the Canadian Football League at the time it played in a regular season game; and

2. He had not:

a) In any prior season dressed for a member Club of the Canadian Football League at the time it played in a regular season or playoff or championship game;

-- and --

b) In the current season or in any prior season, dressed for a member Club in the National Football League, at the time it played in a regular season or post-season or championship game.

I am not certain of this, but I don't believe Ronnie Yell played in any games for the Leos last year; my recollection is that he was strictly a PR player. I also believe he was Arizona Cardinal property but I don't think he played a down.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar