Leos/Tabbies Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
notahomer wrote:I know its happened but when was the last time the Lions lost a game but won the turnover battle OR the Lions won a game but lost the turnover battle?
Both situations happened twice last year, which is more often than for most teams. The last time was in the final game of the regular season against Calgary when the Lions lost the turnover battle 1-0 on a Buck Pierce interception but won the game 26-7.

Of all stats, winning or losing the turnover battle correlates most strongly with winning or losing games. And teams with the best turnover ratio usually have the most success. Saskatchewan had the league's best turnover ratio last year and won the Grey Cup. Toronto had the best ratio in 2012 and won the Grey Cup. The Lions were third in turnover ratio for the full 2011 season but they were a league-best +14 after their 0-5 start, in which their turnover ratio was minus-4. That turnover turnaround helped them win the Grey Cup.
Below are the standings for turnovers so far this season. Our Lions have caused 15 takeaways this season - 2nd most in the CFL. However, we have also turned the football over 16 times, tied with Toronto for worst in the CFL.

GIVEAWAYS-TAKEAWAYS

CAL + 6
EDM + 6
SSK + 3
WP -1
OTT -1
BC -1
HAM -3
MTL -4
TOR -5
I read somewhere this week that no team that has lost the turnover battle has won a game this season.....EXCEPT Winnipeg......which has done it 3 times so far!!

It's another reason that I believe the Bombers are playing "over their heads" and reality will soon be setting in.
Lloyd
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Excellent analysis Blitz...I agree on all points...good comments all around...Joe, it was your comment that stood out to me, as it is so true...we would be 0-6 this season without Andrew Harris...and as Blitz said, we could just as easily been 6-0...so it has been bizarre...but I think that the point is this...the Lions talent is proving itself to be top shelf in the CFL...this team simply needs a little more confidence (and swagger) and BETTER COACHING. I re watched the Stamps game, and its clear that Dorazio CHANGED the blocking system for the whole line (probably to help the left side) and it paid off in spades vs. the Stamps...our OLine DOMINATED that game, while Glenn struggled for a good while and Jones was lost with another bizarre game plan. But once Jones adjusted and Glenn got confidence with those check down throws, suddenly our offence made this look easy...the talent is THERE, it is up to the coaching to rise up to the level of our players...if we do, we can win this thing as we have a good, deep team on both sides of the ball.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Excellent analysis Blitz...I agree on all points...good comments all around...Joe, it was your comment that stood out to me, as it is so true...we would be 0-6 this season without Andrew Harris...and as Blitz said, we could just as easily been 6-0...so it has been bizarre...but I think that the point is this...the Lions talent is proving itself to be top shelf in the CFL...this team simply needs a little more confidence (and swagger) and BETTER COACHING. I re watched the Stamps game, and its clear that Dorazio CHANGED the blocking system for the whole line (probably to help the left side) and it paid off in spades vs. the Stamps...our OLine DOMINATED that game, while Glenn struggled for a good while and Jones was lost with another bizarre game plan. But once Jones adjusted and Glenn got confidence with those check down throws, suddenly our offence made this look easy...the talent is THERE, it is up to the coaching to rise up to the level of our players...if we do, we can win this thing as we have a good, deep team on both sides of the ball.
MLF, I can't pick up the particular blocking scheme very accurately when watching a game. Can you explain what scheme was used previously and then what change was made to make the blocking more effective? Is it mainly addition of more blockers (like a couple of tight ends) or a really fundamental change like going from a zone-blocking system (where the blockers hit a particular location where the play's going, rather than a D-lineman or LB) to a man-blocking scheme, where it's pretty much just beat the guy in front of you?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:I, for one, can't fault Austin in regards to the media.....he's a person who doesn't suffer fools gladly and it absolutely amazes me that he can keep his cool with the incredibly stupid questions that the media deliver. Media: "so, Kent, the Tiger Cats are now 1 and 4, are you happy with the team's performance to date?"........
I'm too lazy to pick up my copy of 'End Zones and Border Wars', but IIRC in there some where is a note about how teammates on the 1994 Lions preferred Danny Mac over Austin? So this might go back to his playing days, you know?
I was thinking same thing. In fact I def recall a time or two during 1995, after we'd traded KA to Tor and DM became the uncontested starter, there was stuff in the papers, quotes from players — nothing direct, but if you read between the lines you could pick up as much.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

South Pender wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:Excellent analysis Blitz...I agree on all points...good comments all around...Joe, it was your comment that stood out to me, as it is so true...we would be 0-6 this season without Andrew Harris...and as Blitz said, we could just as easily been 6-0...so it has been bizarre...but I think that the point is this...the Lions talent is proving itself to be top shelf in the CFL...this team simply needs a little more confidence (and swagger) and BETTER COACHING. I re watched the Stamps game, and its clear that Dorazio CHANGED the blocking system for the whole line (probably to help the left side) and it paid off in spades vs. the Stamps...our OLine DOMINATED that game, while Glenn struggled for a good while and Jones was lost with another bizarre game plan. But once Jones adjusted and Glenn got confidence with those check down throws, suddenly our offence made this look easy...the talent is THERE, it is up to the coaching to rise up to the level of our players...if we do, we can win this thing as we have a good, deep team on both sides of the ball.
MLF, I can't pick up the particular blocking scheme very accurately when watching a game. Can you explain what scheme was used previously and then what change was made to make the blocking more effective? Is it mainly addition of more blockers (like a couple of tight ends) or a really fundamental change like going from a zone-blocking system (where the blockers hit a particular location where the play's going, rather than a D-lineman or LB) to a man-blocking scheme, where it's pretty much just beat the guy in front of you?
Its was very easy to seek versus the Stamps because there was so much one on one blocking...we also threw a lot, so it was easier to see. What to watch for on our OLine is their HEADS...when they come out of their stance with their heads straight up, their blocking "man"...but when you see our linemen with their heads down and sideways, they are making reads and responses...then notice how much more tentative and slower they are of the ball...against CGY the thing that stood out, what how much faster off the ball we were and in the trenches, that split second determines if you get leverage on the DLineman or he gets it on you...if Dorazio sticks to this simpler scheme, I see good things for us...

The other thing from re watching the game was Kevin Glenn...he is SO RATTLED from all the pressure and hits this season...in the first half he was constantly responding to phantom pressure...very uncomfortable in the pocket...and that has to change, whether its a "new" Kevin Glenn or Lulay gets in soon, Glenn missed a lot of quick release throws to wide open receivers because he couldn't "see" them...I'm not blaming Kevin, but he needs to re focus and stay calm in the pocket.

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:
South Pender wrote:
Its was very easy to seek versus the Stamps because there was so much one on one blocking...we also threw a lot, so it was easier to see. What to watch for on our OLine is their HEADS...when they come out of their stance with their heads straight up, their blocking "man"...but when you see our linemen with their heads down and sideways, they are making reads and responses...then notice how much more tentative and slower they are of the ball...against CGY the thing that stood out, what how much faster off the ball we were and in the trenches, that split second determines if you get leverage on the DLineman or he gets it on you...if Dorazio sticks to this simpler scheme, I see good things for us...

The other thing from re watching the game was Kevin Glenn...he is SO RATTLED from all the pressure and hits this season...in the first half he was constantly responding to phantom pressure...very uncomfortable in the pocket...and that has to change, whether its a "new" Kevin Glenn or Lulay gets in soon, Glenn missed a lot of quick release throws to wide open receivers because he couldn't "see" them...I'm not blaming Kevin, but he needs to re focus and stay calm in the pocket.
That's helpful, MLF. I'll look more closely now. It does sound as though the O-line guys were mostly man-blocking (down-blocking on run plays), and I imagine that this is easier to do than zone-blocking. Let's hope a simpler blocking scheme will help a largely inexperienced group get cohesion and develop into a force.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Plus for everyone, watch Steward's footwork on his backpedal...against Hughes last week, it was unbelievable for a rookie LT...wide stance, deep drops with his outside (kick) leg, and a great dip with his hips to MAINTAIN leverage...I mean, you show this to guys for years and some still never get it...whoever coached this kid in College, did a great job...and kudos to Steward for being as athletic as he is for such a big man!

This is so exciting to see unfold in front of our eyes...in the modern era, a CDN LT...

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Plus for everyone, watch Steward's footwork on his backpedal...against Hughes last week, it was unbelievable for a rookie LT...wide stance, deep drops with his outside (kick) leg, and a great dip with his hips to MAINTAIN leverage...I mean, you show this to guys for years and some still never get it...whoever coached this kid in College, did a great job...and kudos to Steward for being as athletic as he is for such a big man!

This is so exciting to see unfold in front of our eyes...in the modern era, a CDN LT...
I am so impressed with Stewart too MLF...and to think that BenevedeséBuono had him slated as a backup guard this season...kinda like we wanted to convert Harris to a safety and if we hadn`t been 0-6 in 2011 and our import tailback had not gotten hurt...giving Harris his chance...we likely would not have won that 2011 Grey Cup or we might have brought in another import tailback for 2012 and the Harris story may never have unfolded.

In terms of blocking...we need to man block for the run game and zone block for the passing game. We zone blocked for our running game for way too long - defenses have adjusted to the backside cut back off the zone read play. We also need to add some traps, which went out of vogue, but have started to return. The old ear hole trap block was a thing of beauty. Remember the old off-tackle play with the fullback making the lead block...we are seeing it return with some teams.... but the play that needs to be re-introduced is the old inside trap...the guard blocks the middle linebacker, the centre blocks the tackle, the other guard trap blocks the tackle and the tailback takes a step to the direction of the play and then makes an inside cut back. John Henry White ran it to perfection.

I agree MLF, that coaching has been our biggest handicap so far. I don`t blame Glenn for seeing a phantom pass rush in his face in the first half against Calgary..he must have been in shock to have more than two seconds on some plays but he adjusted in the second half. The check downs are so important for our offence, with Harris and Logan and we really need to give then some screens as well...and we could use a middle screen and a throwback slot back screen as well.

Go Leos!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Excellent points Blitz...and with the check downs, they only work if the receivers are running hard of the LOS on deeper patterns...you can't expect a dump off pass to the RB to work if everyone is running 5 yard crossing routes...starting in the 4th quarter Jones had his receivers explode off the line in deep routes and purposefully had Glenn check down to Harris...better late than never I guess...

Albert Einstein