Harris, Yell earn POW honours

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

BC duo headlines Player of the Week honours
TORONTO – Drew Willy, Ronnie Yell, Quincy McDuffie and Andrew Harris were named the Canadian Football League Players of the Week for Week 6 of the 2014 Canadian Football League season.

The four players were chosen by a panel of judges including: former Canadian Football League players Matt Dunigan and Duane Forde of TSN, and Pierre Vercheval of RDS.

BC Lions defensive back Ronnie Yell was named the Defensive Player of the Week for Week 6. Yell recorded his first career interception off Bo Levi Mitchell and returned it 34-yards for a touchdown midway through the first quarter to help the Lions defeat the Stampeders 25-24.

The native of Los Angeles, California and product of San Jose State also forced a fumble and notched a pair of special teams tackles in the game. His forced fumble late in the fourth quarter halted Calgary’s attempt to make a last minute comeback.

In his rookie season, Yell has recorded 14 tackles, five special teams tackles, an interception and a pair of forced fumbles.

This is Yell’s first career Player of the Week award.

BC Lions running back Andrew Harris was named the Canadian Player of the Week for Week 6. Harris recorded 143 yards from scrimmage and scored a key fourth quarter touchdown to help guide the Lions to an impressive 25-24 comeback win over the Calgary Stampeders at McMahon Stadium.

Harris, a Winnipeg, Manitoba native rushed for 70 yards on 15 carries (4.7 yards per carry) and added five receptions for 73 yards, including a 4-yard touchdown reception against the Stampeders.

Harris currently leads the league in rushing with 381 yards, is second in receiving with 341 yards and is first in the league with 722 yards from scrimmage.

The 5’11” 213 pound running back has also scored four touchdowns this season for the BC Lions.

This is Harris’ third Canadian Player of the Week award this season and the ninth of his career. Harris was also named Canadian Player of the Month for July.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With the season 1/3 over for most teams, Harris has got to be the leading candidate for MOP. The same thing goes for Yell for ROY, except Yell was on the practice roster last season so I'm not sure if he is considered a rookie or just a first year starter. Anyone?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:With the season 1/3 over for most teams, Harris has got to be the leading candidate for MOP. The same thing goes for Yell for ROY, except Yell was on the practice roster last season so I'm not sure if he is considered a rookie or just a first year starter. Anyone?
I think you'd be right, DanoT, just guessing though. As a practice player doubt you'd be ROY candidate. Certainly he's the rookie that has stood out for me as the Lions top 'newish' starter.....

McDuffie won as special teams POW even though his team, the Ticats, lost. Good choice, just shows how the game ebbed/flowed, IMO. And Willy earned Offensive POW probably as a result of leading that game winning drive. That was a HUGE win, IMO, for the BOmbers. Those are the kinds of games that really can help a team get on that path towards a championship, IMO. Problem could be having them too early or getting sloppy "KNOWING" your team will get the win. Those were the kinds of games the Lions were winning on their 11-0 start. I think the Bombers big loss to the Esks will help ground them. Love having the Bombers back as a CFL fan but man, I'm wishing they were in the East based on their start and how they are playing as a selfish Lions fan......

Harris is on his way to be Canadian of 2014 (or is it non-international? :cool: ), IMO.......