Lions 25 - Stampeders 24 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Steward, Hadrick, Bazzie, Yell, Josh Jonhson all rookie starters plus Williams as a rookie rotational dimeback; have the Lions ever had so many rookie starters? All seem to be playing pretty well.

Also rookie OC and DC.

With the season now 1/3 over, soon they won't be rookies.
As the saying goes, for every starting rookie, expect to count one loss due to starting him. Lions have 5 1/2, so that counts for almost 1/3 of the seasno right out of the gate, then they earn their record out of the final 12 games. That is one reason for Wally and company not starting many rookies over the year, the other being the consistency of the coaching staff, but this season with two fresh co-ordinators has the largest bearing IMO. Too bad that there wasn't an additional two rookies in the lineup, Antolin and Adekolu.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote: I don't think I can point much blame on Logan. I didn't see much support. Usually there was a wave of 6+ red jerseys coming to greet him with no more than 2 white jerseys offering passive resistance. I'm not having issues with Logan as much as the Lions return blocking scheme. The two wide guys whose job it is to run interference on Calgary's gunners seemed to be the only guys back to help when Logan catches the ball. The rest seem to arrive at the party late. If they're constantly running behind opponent's coverage players instead of beside them no wonder we're seeing so many illegal block calls.
The Lions ST's and Receivers for that matter need some better coaching in the art of blocking.......not to mention a MUCH better effort.

IMHO, the coaches need to queue up the game film from Mallett's 56 yard run last week......a purrfect form block from the official springs Mallett at the point of attack........the official squares his shoulders to 2 would be Lions tacklers giving Mallett plenty of room to motor down field......tremendous effort on the official's part !!
Lloyd
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rammer wrote:
DanoT wrote:Steward, Hadrick, Bazzie, Yell, Josh Jonhson all rookie starters plus Williams as a rookie rotational dimeback; have the Lions ever had so many rookie starters? All seem to be playing pretty well.

Also rookie OC and DC.

With the season now 1/3 over, soon they won't be rookies.
As the saying goes, for every starting rookie, expect to count one loss due to starting him. Lions have 5 1/2, so that counts for almost 1/3 of the seasno right out of the gate, then they earn their record out of the final 12 games. That is one reason for Wally and company not starting many rookies over the year, the other being the consistency of the coaching staff, but this season with two fresh co-ordinators has the largest bearing IMO. Too bad that there wasn't an additional two rookies in the lineup, Antolin and Adekolu.
Rookie Ronnie Yell in the last game had a Int. return for a TD and then forced a fumble to prevent the opposition from kicking the winning FG. That ought to be enough to make up for the theoretic loss caused by a rookie. lol

Oh, and Hunter Steward handled Charleston Hughes, one of the best rush ends in the CFL all game long. It was his third game and second start as a pro after coming off TC injury.

And rookie Josh Johnson beat out vet Jamal Johnson as the starting Nickelback.

It is time to put the "each rookie=one lost game" theory to bed. :beauty:

I agree that the rookie OC and DC have a bigger impact on the outcomes but I am very happy with both Jones and Washington and I feel that my patience will be rewarded by late in the season.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Excellent post Sammy...I agree 100% with your comments and thoughts...Hunter Steward is looking like a huge saviour for the Lions...

Joe, thanks for the Sunday paper analysis...I agree that Lulay should NOT be rushed back into the starting role...let's see if Jones learned anything from his 4th quarter adjustments...and let's also see if Dorazio sticks with this simpler blocking approach that he took Friday...it was a big turn around for the OLine.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
leo4life
All Star

Good points MLF on whether we will see Jones and Dorazio continue to build on what works.This team has a habit of going back to schemes/formations that exploit our weakness for some reason! Also the adjustments take way TOO long...Hamilton will be tough and hungry for a win...Lions need to start winning at home to keep/attract fans
Rodu
Champion

It's a bit early, but Harris has an outside shot at 1000 rush/rec. Has it been done in recent memory? 1st in rush, 2nd in rec
leo4life
All Star

Intersting with Ti-Cats here Friday nt RB CJ Gable said his goal also is 1000rushing/1000receiving...has this been done before? Maybe Joe or Blitz may recall?
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
cromartie wrote:
I'm glad they won. But man, I'm ready to see Travis back behind Center.
Heard that Lulay is expected to be on the roster against Hamilton.
Once Lulay is back, I expect Glenn isn't going to want to sit around. He hasn't played for Montreal yet has he? He could certainly help the QB tire fire there.
Rammer
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:Intersting with Ti-Cats here Friday nt RB CJ Gable said his goal also is 1000rushing/1000receiving...has this been done before? Maybe Joe or Blitz may recall?
Funny that you ask, on the game last Friday night, it was mentioned that Harris had a shot at that, and that it hasn't been accomplished in the CFL as of yet.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
cromartie wrote:
I'm glad they won. But man, I'm ready to see Travis back behind Center.
Heard that Lulay is expected to be on the roster against Hamilton.
Once Lulay is back, I expect Glenn isn't going to want to sit around. He hasn't played for Montreal yet has he? He could certainly help the QB tire fire there.
I'm to lazy to dig up the post, but one devastatingly handsome/bald international poster suggested that he should have pushed for a trade there before the season when he was still in Ottawa.

That said, we gave him a nice raise and parted with a 1st for him. He's here through this season, at least.
Spud387
Champion

Rammer wrote:
leo4life wrote:Intersting with Ti-Cats here Friday nt RB CJ Gable said his goal also is 1000rushing/1000receiving...has this been done before? Maybe Joe or Blitz may recall?
Funny that you ask, on the game last Friday night, it was mentioned that Harris had a shot at that, and that it hasn't been accomplished in the CFL as of yet.
Harris is on pace for it, but now that Harris has shown he's returned to old form, teams will be keying in on him and it'll get more difficult going forward.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote: one devastatingly handsome/bald international poster
Do you keep a picture of that guy in your wallet?
leo4life
All Star

It will be alot tougher for Harris the next 12 games but the Lions can use Logan for a change of pace or put them together in the backfield more to make the D choose who to cover...also with good teams like Calgary,you know Cornish will be getting alot of touches and he still gets a ton of yards...Lions need to establish that type of dominant run game...they can do it
Rodu
Champion

Spud387 wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Harris is on pace for it, but now that Harris has shown he's returned to old form, teams will be keying in on him and it'll get more difficult going forward.
well that's a good thing, it will free up someone else if they pay extra attention to Harris, C. Taylor and his 20 catches a game could get the ball more
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

well that's a good thing, it will free up someone else if they pay extra attention to Harris, C. Taylor and his 20 catches a game could get the ball more[/quote]

Wow, 20 catches/game. What games have you been watching?