Leos/Stamps Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks guys...some very disturbing comments from Benny...Glenn goes from being the greatest trade in CFL history to being bulldozed by his now head coach only 5 games into the season...talk about a fall from grace...and really, it is all Glenn's fault...imagine that selfish bastard getting sacked 21 times in 5 games, and hurried another 30 times...what a selfish guy...its always me, me, me with Glenn.

Seriously though, Travis will be WORSE suited for this offence than Glenn when he returns...regardless what Benny says...Lulay does not have a quick release, and he is not the most accurate QB...plus, teams wrote the book on how to neutralize Lulay last year...blitz from the outside in, keeping Lulay in the pocket...and with his inability to switch targets, he holds on to the ball a long time and then gets drilled.

It is VERY difficult to have confidence behind a HC that spends so much of his time absolutely wrong!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz - another brilliant insight not in only the keys to this game but the recent history of this Lions organization.

As to another thread where our good pal Hambone questions if Dorazio is to be the fans new 'whipping boy' I see in The Province that Benny pretty much has placed it all on Kevin Glenn and the new QB. Benny and the Iraq PR guy ('the Americans are being) routed during the Iraq War should form a PR Agency as this a triumph of spin over reality.

Did Calgary last year who had to play with Kevin Glenn ever once hint that the loss of their starter was an issue. NO. In fact Hufnagel was asked something along the lines of was if 'was Kevin Glenn underrated?' His short but polite answer was something like:
'You're talking to the wrong person' ...'he's not underrated by me or us' - words like that.

It's not in this story but this is how he was viewed Aug. 2013:
Is Kevin Glenn the most underrated quarterback in the CFL?
Tuesday, August 27, 2013

In the eyes of Nik Lewis, Kevin Glenn is the certified Agent K of the Calgary Stampeders offence.

Calm bordering on emotionless, even in the most trying of circumstances - and vastly underappreciated.

"Agent K....just like Men in Black," Lewis said via Twitter last week, comparing Glenn to the character played by Tommy Lee Jones. "Do his job and don't get the credit he deserves."

In déjà vu fashion, Glenn reported to McMahon Stadium for the 2013 football campaign as the backup to Drew Tate. The same scenario played out in 2012.

And once again, Glenn is starting, and winning, as the man under centre for the Stamps.

Rarely does an ill-advised pass fly off his fingertips.

"He's a smart player," says offensive co-ordinator Dave Dickenson. "Just give him some parameters, give him something to look at, he'll find it.

"He's very accurate."

That's high praise indeed coming from one of the most accurate quarterbacks to ever play the game.

What I basically glean from the OFF history lesson from Blitz is how the Lions in 2007 instead of taking apart their OC and bringing back JC was a huge mistake should have built on that. I found the Kruck - Dorazio offense and running exciting. The dumping of Joe Smith another Lions triumph in spin and silence - allowing fans to fill in the rest. The disaster he went to in WPG in the Roberts trade ended his career and fans said 'wow, Wally again knows best.'

I recall Hufnagel as a consultant in 2007 but other than the schemes that were implemented by the co-OCs who clearly listened to good advice (something I doubt JC's make up allows him to do - I'm think Kruck calling the plays and he and Dorazio working together was a good combo. BUT Geroy and the REC with less balls coming their way weren't happy and at the firing of JC after making Ricky Ray look ordinary did everything they could from what it looks like to dump this combo and bring back the more pass oriented JC. First they wanted JC down on the field so they could talk to him during the game (I still can't fathom how Wally would let them undermine even the Equipment Manager) and then he was back in full charge. Wally was right at first - why go back to JC but the players won out.

If anyone thinks coaching isn't an issue look at the Bombers and even the Redblacks. New HCs can make a difference as we saw with Kent Austin last year but these coaches are all showing how they understand their roles better than Benny and his staff.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
leo4life
All Star

Good points Toppy Vann on the coaching staff needing to step it up...anyone see the Bomber/Ti-Cats finish? Drew Willy and co. continue to roll and what a incredible drive to pull it out...Lions would have been sacked or would not win via brutal play calling....O'Shea early candidate for coach of the year imho....Lions will face a very angry Ti-Cat team next week!
Rammer
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:Good points Toppy Vann on the coaching staff needing to step it up...anyone see the Bomber/Ti-Cats finish? Drew Willy and co. continue to roll and what a incredible drive to pull it out...Lions would have been sacked or would not win via brutal play calling....O'Shea early candidate for coach of the year imho....Lions will face a very angry Ti-Cat team next week!
The Lions have faced an unordinary amount of teams coming off loses this season. From game 2 until game 5, each week the opposition had lost their last game. This is the first week vs Calgary that the Lions are facing a team that won last week. Generally this should give an edge to the Lions, but I don't think that the Stamps read their press clippings ala the Lions. Agree on O'Shea, he seems pretty cool, but winning as much as the Bombers have, certainly hasn't tested his mettle as of yet either.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Great Benny, way to imply that your current QB lacks leadership with (at least) 2 games until Lulay gets back. By saying this you're enabling your players with a workable excuse for poor performance (the offensive ones especially) until Lulay returns.

Man, does this guy not have the worst habit of putting his foot in his mouth, or what?? :dizzy:

DH :cool:
Well, he's not a real head coach but he plays one on TV.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:Great Benny, way to imply that your current QB lacks leadership with (at least) 2 games until Lulay gets back. By saying this you're enabling your players with a workable excuse for poor performance (the offensive ones especially) until Lulay returns.

Man, does this guy not have the worst habit of putting his foot in his mouth, or what?? :dizzy:

Gord Miller just saying how much Hufnagel admires Glenn... high high praise. Game on. Can't type all comments but HUF singled this ONE QB over all others.

Mitchell commended Glenn too for his leadership and handling adversity.

Not so well in BC as all plays seem to bring adversity vs what occurs in Calg.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:

Gord Miller just saying how much Hufnagel admires Glenn... high high praise. Game on. Can't type all comments but HUF singled this ONE QB over all others.

Mitchell commended Glenn too for his leadership and handling adversity.

Not so well in BC as all plays seem to bring adversity vs what occurs in Calg.
Our offensive scheme is making Glenn look bad...Taylor is being man coverage, reads it as ifs a zone, sits down on a route, and Calgary intercepts for a Pick 6

On defense, we've given up huge yardage on the ground in the first half.

Offence - one field goal, plus 3, one interception minus 7, so we were minus 4 offensively for the first half.

The positive - no delay of game penalties in the first half....we were leading the league with this penalty call this season so far...so much for sending in the plays by audio rather than Chap's signals....and b; the way, we had the least delay of games calls with that method. Not sad to see the finger twirl gone though...but right now I would be happy to suffer through it.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)