Skulsky episode of 2014 Presidents' Week Series on Team Radi

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
David wrote:Just listened to the broadcast. Pretty much as expected:

* Talked about Tedford as an innovator. Brings the club hope and anticipation to be better on the football field. Felt it was time to get an 'offensive coach' as they have Mark Washington on the defensive side
* Mentioned Tedford's vast football network in NA for coaches and players which will benefit the club
* Touched briefly on the 'difference of opinion' with Geroy - club thought he was done but he thought he had more in the tank. Glad to have him back. Fans still gravitate to him at events
* Says Geroy has a positive future and a keen eye, but didn't bite when Mayenknecht suggested that he is the succession plan for Wally. Said Tedford has admin skills and can be far more than a Head Coach, but stressed that they're always looking to bring in talented people
* Biggest disappointment in a flat 2014 season was the way they played especially at home. Didn't play "Lions brand of football," tough and disciplined and was disappointed with home record
* Goal is to fill the lower bowl but to always have a ticket available. Thinks there will be games that they will have to open the Upper Bowl. Wants to improve fan experience and make it an intimidating place for the opposition again

If they want to make it intimidating for the opposition, then lower prices - especially for youth - and get as many people to fill the stadium (a configured lower and upper bowl) as possible. Not sure that shrinking the place for 26,000+ will make BC Place an intimidating venue again.

My worst fear is that fans who opted for the two Upper Bowl value sections (Gemstone Gridiron and Global Family Zone - $30 taxes included), will pass on going to games rather that pay to sit in the end zone - unless there is equivalent pricing, and the "Touchdown Corner" sections will continue to be a tough sell.

DH :cool:
Great summary, David, thanks for posting. I totally missed it sleeping off my lunar eclipse hangover. :zzz:

The audio is posted online here; this is the full Hour 3 of the show so you'll need to cue it up to the 2nd segment starting around 13:00 and running to about 27:00,

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... 3-1.247940

Unfortunately I think it's too late to lower prices for 2015 without upsetting those who have already renewed. Whatever pricing changes they make will have to be for 2016. They usually announce that stuff in October. To be honest though I think HD is a bigger enemy to the Lions than their pricing. The other day I saw this guy with a Lions jacket and a Lions coach's sideline shirt, the one with the broken white stripe running down the back. You could tell he was wearing another orange shirt under that, may or may not have been Lions gear but team colours nonetheless.

I said to him in a cordial tone, "Ah, you must be a season ticket holder, huh?" "Nah, more of an NFL fan, really," he flatly replied before adding, "Only watch the Lions on TV." So, HD and probably as you've mentioned before, the Seahawks are outcompeting the Lions in the case of this fan. I'm not sure if lowering ticket prices will bring guys like him into the building. For someone like him, if you're going to get him into the building at all, you need the gameday atmosphere. Easier said than done as always.

Just heard the interview and I agree Skulsky again is waiting for fans to come through the gate by only opening the lower bowl , he is not a marketer , I only hope that the lions can have a very exciting team to get 27,000 + every night in bc place because if they are not this organization is headed no were , Hiring Tedford is a excellent start maybe he will have some excellent marketing ideas he go from the States , they need something

I my self will always be a lions fan but I have been a Seahawk and lions fan for years as my dad left me Seahawks season tickets years ago and I have never let them go I have to admit I have been way more of a Seahawk fan than lions fan for the last 3-4 years , if the lions can get that game day experience back again they will be fine , ( no do not have to get 54,000 a game to compare it to Seahawks games ) I will be cheering for both teams again this year.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Just heard the interview and I agree Skulsky again is waiting for fans to come through the gate by only opening the lower bowl , he is not a marketer , I only hope that the lions can have a very exciting team to get 27,000 + every night in bc place because if they are not this organization is headed no were , Hiring Tedford is a excellent start maybe he will have some excellent marketing ideas he go from the States , they need something

I my self will always be a lions fan but I have been a Seahawk and lions fan for years as my dad left me Seahawks season tickets years ago and I have never let them go I have to admit I have been way more of a Seahawk fan than lions fan for the last 3-4 years , if the lions can get that game day experience back again they will be fine , ( no do not have to get 54,000 a game to compare it to Seahawks games ) I will be cheering for both teams again this year.
Tedford is NOT a marketing guy nor should he be expected to be. Far as I can see, he's a football ops guy and has plenty on his plate to get the on-field product up to snuff. Any role he has in marketing will likely be limited to appearances at public events and in media materials that the business ops side of the organisation, not himself, will arrange for him.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.