Skulsky episode of 2014 Presidents' Week Series on Team Radi

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:For those that missed it.....

Spoke of "inconsistencies" but declined to elaborate, opting instead to review everything "from the top down" in the coming weeks.

Disturbed by our record at home (in which we used to go on the road knowing that we had points in the bag at home), also mentioned all the penalties.

Couldn't help but think that he wouldn't do "Guarantee Win" night again if given a do-over. Said he hoped it didn't adversely affect team (i.e. distraction), but they created a lot of noise and "65% opted in" from that Rider game (to one of the remaining home games).

Braley was "disppointed" not only in the loss but how we presented ourselves.

We will "debrief and re-evaluate" but there are brighter times ahead for Lions' fans.

DH :cool:
In the world of pro sports, no early playoff exit is complete without doleful platitudes from the suits.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:For those that missed it.....

Spoke of "inconsistencies" but declined to elaborate, opting instead to review everything "from the top down" in the coming weeks.

Disturbed by our record at home (in which we used to go on the road knowing that we had points in the bag at home), also mentioned all the penalties.

Couldn't help but think that he wouldn't do "Guarantee Win" night again if given a do-over. Said he hoped it didn't adversely affect team (i.e. distraction), but they created a lot of noise and "65% opted in" from that Rider game (to one of the remaining home games).

Braley was "disppointed" not only in the loss but how we presented ourselves.

We will "debrief and re-evaluate" but there are brighter times ahead for Lions' fans.

That was certainly no endorsement for Benevides remaining on.

It could have been easy to say Benny had a lot of tough injuries to deal with but instead it was "every team goes through injuries and we thought we had adequate replacements to still be successful" And as you said David, Skulsky pointing out the number of penalties and the poor performance at home is another indirect shot at the head coach.

Yep Wally is in charge of the football operations but I'm guessing Skulsky is going to make it good and clear how tough this current product will be to sell to the public going forward.

Sekeres alluded to an article in the Toronto Sun that suggests Braley is so steamed that Wally could be in jeopardy too. But it sure sounds like it is more of the reporter's suggestion:
“We just couldn’t get any momentum going,’’ lamented Lions head coach Mike Benevides, who acknowledged his fate will now be debated. “It’s part and parcel, it’s everybody’s responsibility. That’s a heck of a football team over there and they’ve got an outstanding chance to be champs. None of us did anything.”

No one could have envisioned such a dismal effort and performance by a visiting team. The Lions were that bad and changes are in order, major changes in coaching and personnel.

David Braley is trying to unload the Argos by asking for a king’s ransom, but he has a second troubled team to deal with and no one should be safe, not even GM Wally Buono.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

And the damage control begins with Dennis Skulsky's letter to season ticket holders. As Guilo discussed with Taylor and Moj the potential impact of this season on the business side of operations and satisfying an upset fan base goes a long way in determining what the Lions will do.
Today is a tough day. Unfortunately, after yesterday's loss in Montreal, we are now officially out of the running to participate in the 2014 Grey Cup game here at home on November 30th. As an organization we are all disappointed, and we know we let you - our tremendous fans – down as our goal to play in another Grey Cup Championship at BC Place fell short.

Each season we strive to play an energetic, hard hitting, entertaining brand of football. Clearly our record and the type of football we played wasn't acceptable or good enough. Further to that, we need to be better at home. Winning at home over the past number of years was a big part of our success, and we owe it to our loyal fans to regain our home field advantage at BC Place.

You need to know we truly do appreciate the outstanding support you, our most loyal fans, have provided our team. It’s comforting to know we have that kind of support and encouragement during these difficult times. I promise you we do not take that for granted and never will.

This morning, we immediately began to review this past season and where we need to improve. Rest assured, we will keep you informed as we roll out these plans.

Thanks again for being the best fans in the Canadian Football League.

With my best regards,

Dennis Skulsky
President & CEO
BC Lions Football Club
notahomer
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:And the damage control begins with Dennis Skulsky's letter to season ticket holders. As Guilo discussed with Taylor and Moj the potential impact of this season on the business side of operations and satisfying an upset fan base goes a long way in determining what the Lions will do.
Yup, read it and it says a lot of the right things..... The days I felt I enjoyed the Lions performance were usually ROAD games. I want them to continue to play well on the ROAD but the HOME games are critical too. Lets get back to having a Dome-Field ADvantage......
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:And the damage control begins with Dennis Skulsky's letter to season ticket holders. As Guilo discussed with Taylor and Moj the potential impact of this season on the business side of operations and satisfying an upset fan base goes a long way in determining what the Lions will do.
Today is a tough day. Unfortunately, after yesterday's loss in Montreal, we are now officially out of the running to participate in the 2014 Grey Cup game here at home on November 30th. As an organization we are all disappointed, and we know we let you - our tremendous fans – down as our goal to play in another Grey Cup Championship at BC Place fell short.

Each season we strive to play an energetic, hard hitting, entertaining brand of football. Clearly our record and the type of football we played wasn't acceptable or good enough. Further to that, we need to be better at home. Winning at home over the past number of years was a big part of our success, and we owe it to our loyal fans to regain our home field advantage at BC Place.

You need to know we truly do appreciate the outstanding support you, our most loyal fans, have provided our team. It’s comforting to know we have that kind of support and encouragement during these difficult times. I promise you we do not take that for granted and never will.

This morning, we immediately began to review this past season and where we need to improve. Rest assured, we will keep you informed as we roll out these plans.

Thanks again for being the best fans in the Canadian Football League.

With my best regards,

Dennis Skulsky
President & CEO
BC Lions Football Club
Alright, that letter got me to buy in, the Lions are working their way to improve. Why now after three seasons on the decline though, has it become a first thing this morning situation? At least the inept home record and entertainment value are being looked at.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The letter from Skulsky is nothing more than public relations IMO. I need to see concrete moves before I renew.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:The letter from Skulsky is nothing more than public relations IMO. I need to see concrete moves before I renew.
Exactly TLK!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

I get the impression that Skulsky is merely the titular head of the Lions (and I agree that his letter to season ticket holders is nothing more than boilerplate). Wally is really in charge, and he has always had strong backing from Braley. If I'm not mistaken, Braley once said that Wally would always have a job with the Lions; so I don't see Wally being jettisoned after this dreadful season. I would, however, be happy to see Skulsky dumped. The really important changes, though, as everyone on this forum agrees, are in the coaching ranks.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I get the impression that Skulsky is merely the titular head of the Lions (and I agree that his letter to season ticket holders is nothing more than boilerplate). Wally is really in charge, and he has always had strong backing from Braley. If I'm not mistaken, Braley once said that Wally would always have a job with the Lions; so I don't see Wally being jettisoned after this dreadful season. I would, however, be happy to see Skulsky dumped. The really important changes, though, as everyone on this forum agrees, are in the coaching ranks.
Braley has always made it very clear and explicit even when Bobby Ackles was President that Wally is in total control of football ops.

Skulsky like Bobby Ackles runs the business side of the franchise and the GM would only report to him on the budget as the costs on the football side have to be covered by team income - but this is not like a normal boss-subordinate reporting relationship as GM reports to the owner who is pretty much hands off when it comes to football decisions. Although I am sure that the owner is unhappy.

Wally is in total control of the football side of the Lions. He would report on that only to Braley. In my view this means that Braley has no hiring or firing authority over the GM.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

FYI, Dennis Skulsky will be interviewed by Tom Mayenknecht Saturday morning (4/4) on TSN1040 radio. He is interviewing 6 local pro execs. Skulsky is on at 9:15am.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:FYI, Dennis Skulsky will be interviewed by Tom Mayenknecht Saturday morning (4/4) on TSN1040 radio. He is interviewing 6 local pro execs. Skulsky is on at 9:15am.

I missed it. Recap, anyone?
David
Team Captain

Just listened to the broadcast. Pretty much as expected:

* Talked about Tedford as an innovator. Brings the club hope and anticipation to be better on the football field. Felt it was time to get an 'offensive coach' as they have Mark Washington on the defensive side
* Mentioned Tedford's vast football network in NA for coaches and players which will benefit the club
* Touched briefly on the 'difference of opinion' with Geroy - club thought he was done but he thought he had more in the tank. Glad to have him back. Fans still gravitate to him at events
* Says Geroy has a positive future and a keen eye, but didn't bite when Mayenknecht suggested that he is the succession plan for Wally. Said Tedford has admin skills and can be far more than a Head Coach, but stressed that they're always looking to bring in talented people
* Biggest disappointment in a flat 2014 season was the way they played especially at home. Didn't play "Lions brand of football," tough and disciplined and was disappointed with home record
* Goal is to fill the lower bowl but to always have a ticket available. Thinks there will be games that they will have to open the Upper Bowl. Wants to improve fan experience and make it an intimidating place for the opposition again

If they want to make it intimidating for the opposition, then lower prices - especially for youth - and get as many people to fill the stadium (a configured lower and upper bowl) as possible. Not sure that shrinking the place for 26,000+ will make BC Place an intimidating venue again.

My worst fear is that fans who opted for the two Upper Bowl value sections (Gemstone Gridiron and Global Family Zone - $30 taxes included), will pass on going to games rather that pay to sit in the end zone - unless there is equivalent pricing, and the "Touchdown Corner" sections will continue to be a tough sell.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Just listened to the broadcast. Pretty much as expected:

* Talked about Tedford as an innovator. Brings the club hope and anticipation to be better on the football field. Felt it was time to get an 'offensive coach' as they have Mark Washington on the defensive side
* Mentioned Tedford's vast football network in NA for coaches and players which will benefit the club
* Touched briefly on the 'difference of opinion' with Geroy - club thought he was done but he thought he had more in the tank. Glad to have him back. Fans still gravitate to him at events
* Says Geroy has a positive future and a keen eye, but didn't bite when Mayenknecht suggested that he is the succession plan for Wally. Said Tedford has admin skills and can be far more than a Head Coach, but stressed that they're always looking to bring in talented people
* Biggest disappointment in a flat 2014 season was the way they played especially at home. Didn't play "Lions brand of football," tough and disciplined and was disappointed with home record
* Goal is to fill the lower bowl but to always have a ticket available. Thinks there will be games that they will have to open the Upper Bowl. Wants to improve fan experience and make it an intimidating place for the opposition again

If they want to make it intimidating for the opposition, then lower prices - especially for youth - and get as many people to fill the stadium (a configured lower and upper bowl) as possible. Not sure that shrinking the place for 26,000+ will make BC Place an intimidating venue again.

My worst fear is that fans who opted for the two Upper Bowl value sections (Gemstone Gridiron and Global Family Zone - $30 taxes included), will pass on going to games rather that pay to sit in the end zone - unless there is equivalent pricing, and the "Touchdown Corner" sections will continue to be a tough sell.

Thanks, David. I believe the club has hinted that there will be something in place to replace the two value-priced sections but they haven't said what that will be. The logical place for a value-priced section is in the upper half of the Touchdown Corners. Those seats are already used for group sales and they're tough to sell at full price on a single-game basis.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Just listened to the broadcast. Pretty much as expected:

Great summary, David, thanks for posting. I totally missed it sleeping off my lunar eclipse hangover. :zzz:

The audio is posted online here; this is the full Hour 3 of the show so you'll need to cue it up to the 2nd segment starting around 13:00 and running to about 27:00,

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... 3-1.247940

Unfortunately I think it's too late to lower prices for 2015 without upsetting those who have already renewed. Whatever pricing changes they make will have to be for 2016. They usually announce that stuff in October. To be honest though I think HD is a bigger enemy to the Lions than their pricing. The other day I saw this guy with a Lions jacket and a Lions coach's sideline shirt, the one with the broken white stripe running down the back. You could tell he was wearing another orange shirt under that, may or may not have been Lions gear but team colours nonetheless.

I said to him in a cordial tone, "Ah, you must be a season ticket holder, huh?" "Nah, more of an NFL fan, really," he flatly replied before adding, "Only watch the Lions on TV." So, HD and probably as you've mentioned before, the Seahawks are outcompeting the Lions in the case of this fan. I'm not sure if lowering ticket prices will bring guys like him into the building. For someone like him, if you're going to get him into the building at all, you need the gameday atmosphere. Easier said than done as always.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think this fan experience close upper deck but we'll always have a ticket is more of the unclear marketing message that has characterized the Skulsky era. He's not a marketer and do they need marketing in this organization very badly.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy