Skulsky episode of 2014 Presidents' Week Series on Team Radi

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:Great synopsis, sj-roc. I listened to most of the program. I was encouraged that Skulsky recognizes that fans prefer Saturday night games. He said Saturday afternoons help attract fans from the Island and Interior but they don't draw as well. He also acknowledged that summer is a tougher time to sell tickets, although I don't know if anyone asked why the Lions schedule five home games and four road games before Labour Day every year and four home games and five road games after Labour Day.

In acknowledging the legacy of Bob Ackles, Skulsky said Ackles had to rebuild the fan base when he returned, and one of the ways he did it was to give out free and discounted tickets. There's not as much of that now. He said ticket revenue, along with other sources of revenue, are higher now.

I agree with your statement, I hope Dennis has learned about sat aft games are not going to sell, I do agree that maybe one aft game in the summer and one in the fall, that way if you live on the island , it treat to come to a game , not having 3-4 afternoon games a year the novelty wears off , we all have to remember that when Ackles died I think there was nobody that was going to keep up the attendance at 35,000 a game , so at least Dennis does understand this, I still think that the lions need new ownership , Brailey has done his job and his time is up , so I hope he sticks to his guns and sells the team very shortly.
David
Team Captain

Not sure I fully agree with the implication that Bobby was papering. That part may be true, but I don't think it tells the whole story. I can tell you anecdotally that there are quite a few people I know who were season ticket holders then who are not season ticket holders now. That's just in my peer group. And that's prior to a $563MM renovation to BC Place.

Besides, it's not like they don't give away tickets now. Between @bclions and @ChristieBuono on Twitter, they were giving tickets away like Reese's Pieces on Halloween night, in order to hype the poorly attended Geroy Simon night.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ballistic Bob
Legend

David wrote:Not sure I fully agree with the implication that Bobby was papering. That part may be true, but I don't think it tells the whole story. I can tell you anecdotally that there are quite a few people I know who were season ticket holders then who are not season ticket holders now. That's just in my peer group. And that's prior to a $563MM renovation to BC Place.

Besides, it's not like they don't give away tickets now. Between @bclions and @ChristieBuono on Twitter, they were giving tickets away like Reese's Pieces on Halloween night, in order to hype the poorly attended Geroy Simon night.

David I agree whole heartedly That said winnning drives up attendance. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Thanks for the transcript, much appreciated. :beer:

Sounds like a great appearance from Skulsky, full credit to him for willing to exchange e-mails with the one caller.
Ravi
Legend

David wrote:Not sure I fully agree with the implication that Bobby was papering. That part may be true, but I don't think it tells the whole story. I can tell you anecdotally that there are quite a few people I know who were season ticket holders then who are not season ticket holders now. That's just in my peer group. And that's prior to a $563MM renovation to BC Place.

The key numbers to look at are the season ticket holders and didn't the Lions have 24k at one point under Ackles and are now down to 15k in a Grey Cup-hosting year no less? BTW, the less than 25k on hand for the Hamilton game made an awful lot of noise. Can you imagine 30k-35k making that kind of noise on a regular basis for the Lions and what that would sound like?
David
Team Captain

I am glad that the TSN telecast was able to pick that up, Ravi. It was one of the loudest 24K crowds I've been a part of. Not sure why either. Apart from the fact the game was exciting and the action was back-and-forth, it was a summer game pitting a 3-3 team vs a 1-4 team from the East. But the BC Place crowd was definitely engaged (lots of smiling faces on the giant scoreboard when the in-stadium cameras panned the crowd), were in their seats 'til the end, and a disruptive force to the Hamilton offense. :rockin:

As mentioned in another post, this 24-25K is the Lions' current core summer fan base (I predicted there wouldn't be a significant drop off at the gate from the Winnipeg game (7/25) in which the club laid an egg on Geroy Simon Night, and there really wasn't). These are the people who find utility in spending a minimum of $30 on a ticket (plus transportation, parking, food) to attend live vs watching at home or engaging in some other activity for this 3 hour period. But this should not be taken to mean there are no other Lions fans. BC Lions games have been TSN most watched CFL games for 5 of 6 weeks this year, according to BBM ratings, and attendance traditionally picks as we move toward Fall. Looks like they've already sold about 28,000 for the Roughriders game with 2 weeks of selling time. A victory in Toronto should guarantee at least 35,000.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
almo89
Legend

BC Lions games have been TSN most watched CFL games for 5 of 6 weeks this year
To me that's a very telling stat. There's enough people interested in the Lions that they will watch them on TV, but the team isn't doing enough to get them to go to the game. For me personally it's simple. It's cost. I a 29 year old, but I don't make enough money. Going to games now is too pricey for me. I'll pick and choose and go to a big match up, but won't go to 5 or 6 games a year like I use to.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TV blackouts were in effect during the Bob Ackles era and he insisted that they worked. Figure out how to blackout HD TV and watch the attendance grow by 5k or more.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I hope the blackout era is over in all sports. Fans expect to see every game on TV. Nothing beats the atmosphere at a live sporting event but the vast majority of the fan base watches games on TV and only occasionally attends in person. Blacking out games only alienates the fan base and ultimately limits the market. People can sit at home and watch other things on TV if the Lions aren't shown, and they'll have less interest in the team.
Ravi
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:I hope the blackout era is over in all sports. Fans expect to see every game on TV. Nothing beats the atmosphere at a live sporting event but the vast majority of the fan base watches games on TV and only occasionally attends in person. Blacking out games only alienates the fan base and ultimately limits the market. People can sit at home and watch other things on TV if the Lions aren't shown, and they'll have less interest in the team.
Exactly. I had a lot of respect for Bob Ackles but firmly disagreed with him on the blackout issue.
dupsdell1
Champion

DanoT wrote:TV blackouts were in effect during the Bob Ackles era and he insisted that they worked. Figure out how to blackout HD TV and watch the attendance grow by 5k or more.

I agree and disagree, all though people think that blacking out games losses the popularity of the team , it also tells people that if you want to watch the game on tv you better get yourself to the stadium , or you could miss the game all together, remember this is not baseball, hockey, MLS soccer , basketball were there are not only 9 home games a year , were if you are watching a 40 game home schedule were there is lots of games the team could make money, THE CFL IS STIL A GATE DRIVEN LEAGUE , and without the popularity of the gate the team will not survive, Do you know that in the NFL if they do not sell 95% of there tickets they do not televise it in there area , in which teams like Jacksonville, Buffalo, Tampa Bay , have experienced last year, So no I also do not believe that blacking out games are the answer to get people coming to the stadium, but what other choice do they have when it has worked so well in the past ( 2004-2011 ) Bob Ackles is not stupid he knew what he was doing , if he had not had the black out rule people would have stayed home and not come to games and the lions would not be here know.

So I Say if they can black out HD someday do it , and see were it goes. it will get people of there lazy buts and get out to the stadium in the CFL and NFL.

Technology has made to many people lazy , and if it continues all major sports leagues will suffer from it.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

When CFL games were carried on CBC and CTV, they were often the only sporting event in their time slot. If a game was blacked out, viewers would have few viewing options. Now, with TSN about add three new networks, the average Canadian sports fan will have access to 10 or 12 sports networks alone, not counting subscription NHL, NBA and NFL services. A sports fan who can't watch a CFL game at home can flip among the other sports programming options. This is the sports market of 2014. There's no turning back, even to the most recent Ackles era.
David
Team Captain

Skulsky upcoming on TSN1040 (10:35am)

Glen Suitor (10:45am)

L.U. (1:35pm)

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

For those that missed it.....

Spoke of "inconsistencies" but declined to elaborate, opting instead to review everything "from the top down" in the coming weeks.

Disturbed by our record at home (in which we used to go on the road knowing that we had points in the bag at home), also mentioned all the penalties.

Couldn't help but think that he wouldn't do "Guarantee Win" night again if given a do-over. Said he hoped it didn't adversely affect team (i.e. distraction), but they created a lot of noise and "65% opted in" from that Rider game (to one of the remaining home games).

Braley was "disppointed" not only in the loss but how we presented ourselves.

We will "debrief and re-evaluate" but there are brighter times ahead for Lions' fans.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
dupsdell1
Champion

David wrote:For those that missed it.....

Spoke of "inconsistencies" but declined to elaborate, opting instead to review everything "from the top down" in the coming weeks.

Disturbed by our record at home (in which we used to go on the road knowing that we had points in the bag at home), also mentioned all the penalties.

Couldn't help but think that he wouldn't do "Guarantee Win" night again if given a do-over. Said he hoped it didn't adversely affect team (i.e. distraction), but they created a lot of noise and "65% opted in" from that Rider game (to one of the remaining home games).

Braley was "disppointed" not only in the loss but how we presented ourselves.

We will "debrief and re-evaluate" but there are brighter times ahead for Lions' fans.

Not with skulsky in charge there are brighter times