Bombers 23 - Lions 6 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I have always favoured the rollout quarterback option whenever we're in the red zone. Puts the DB in a no win situation. If he comes up to cover the quarterback, he throws. If he drops into coverage, quarterback runs. Ron Lancaster was an absolute master on this play.
creta57
prospect

was it just me but there seems to be more flags thrown away from the play this year ,do you think maybe if the infraction does not affect the play they could pick up the flag or just not throw it.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There definitely has been an increase in flags this season for whatever reason. In fairness to the officials they are doing their bit to reduce the number of infractions by ignoring head shots.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Keep it up, Blitz and MLF. :thup:

We've been on this message for a long time now. Wally eventually does act, when his very good survival skills tell him he must let go of loyalty for the good of the franchise.

Twelve years of this regime. And we see the same headaches with the O Line. It was not Chapdelaine. Is it Khari? No. Dan D has sway in the organization. He has been able to avoid direct scrutiny or accountability. Bad pass protection? Blame the OC. Blame the O Linemen for poor execution. How about the OL coach with lifetime job security? There are a long list of issues, discussed here for years. (Like the sports writer said, you can look it up.) He seems to be beyond the authority of the OC. He knows a million things about O Line play. And his young charges get the full load. Paralysis by analysis. It is my opinion that a veteran group would rebel. One wonders about the curious situation when we had two O Line coaches, Dorazio and Bates. Was it deemed necessary to modify and simplify the mental demands on the players? Get more of the feel of an ex pro O Lineman? And then Bates was removed from OL coaching and made RB coach? Too much of a contrast? Too threatening?

Wally will do what Wally wants in his own good time.

But at some point, all the evidence on tape, for years, has to bring about some change. Should Benny have cleaned house? Yes, based on poor performance, two more should have been replaced, but Benny may be part of the problem. Should Khari have demanded total control of the O? Absolutely. Does he have total control? It does not look like it. And if Khari is sacrificed? Well then there is Joe Pao Pao to try to pick up the pieces. It won't be Benny trying to be architect of the offence, something Hufnagel, Austin and Milanovich can do by second nature.

As I have indicated a number of times, in years past Wally dominated with superior personnel, and excellent coordinators. Now the personnel has reached parity, with great national and international talent available. And an easy ratio to satisfy. The difference nowadays is coaching. Hufnagel raised the bar. Austin raised it. Trestman raised it higher. Milanovich is very sharp. He unleashed C Jones and O'Shea into the HC ranks. Chamblin is no slouch, although struggling now. Great Xs and Os guys out there. Outcoaching us very often. Surprising us with adaptations, based on tendencies.

As noted we will probably belatedly adapt and progress. But it might be too late for this year. C Jones and O'Shea are leaving us in the dust. Hufnagel ain't about to backslide. Regina will probably get it together for their rabid fans. We are looking fifth place, or fourth place, right smack in the face.

Coaching. Strategies. Tactics. Playbook. Game plans. Play calls. Practice preparation. That is where it happens.

And one more thing. Wally chose Mike Buonovides. He should let him run his ship. I expect Wally presents a giant, looming shadow over his protege, from the roof at practice, in tape review, and even in deportment on the sideline.

Do some people on this site have a vendetta? No. Consider ... Are TV guys going to rip a coach on air? No. Are newsprint guys going to rip a coach? No. Are players going to rip coaching? No. Although some stuff does slip out. If stuff needs to be looked at, questioned, criticized, this might be one of the only places it will happen. Stay silent? Not likely. One of the huge benefits of being in one of the best democracies in the world, freedom of speech.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Winnipeg
Passing (comp/att/yds) 18/26/250
Receiving (rec/yds) 18/250
Rushing (att/yds) 22/50
Total Yards 280
Sacks Allowed 2
Turnovers 2
Penalties 5

B.C.
Passing (comp/att/yds) 19/33/242
Receiving (rec/yds) 19/242
Rushing (att/yds) 20/100
Total Yards 302
Sacks Allowed 6
Turnovers 4
Penalties 13
Stats similar. Except for turnovers, sacks and penalties. Those half a dozen plays in a game that make the difference. But not easy to change, because it involves an entire change of culture.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
swervynmerv
Legend

For the second time this season I have heard Glen Suitor mention the Ti-Cats and their 3 rookies on the O-Line and what a good job they are doing. It can be done through proper schemes and coaching.

I love the idea of Kelly Bates as O-line coach, heck bring in Angus Reid as an advisor. At least they played the game. If Dorazio did, it was back when they wore leather helmets!!

P.S. As I was posting this, Hamilton ran a purrfect screen for an 83 yard gain! They had an OL at least 10 yards past the line of scrimmage setting a key block to spring Gable! :bang:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
These are the areas that I see as problematic for a Leos team that, right now, looks anything but a Grey Cup contender but instead is looking like a team that will select high in the 2015 CFL draft.

COACHING

Quite frankly Benevedes did not have the resume or the requisites or the presence for the job. He was handed the job on a gold (not silver) platter and the tarnish is staring to show more and more.

Kevin Glenn showed, against Montreal, how effective he can be with a solid running attack and not having to throw on second and long. Glenn showed what could do, behind a solid running attack in Calgary. But Glenn is not a quarterback who can overcome a defense that is in his face all game, with little or no time to throw. He is a smart quarterback in terms of pocket presence but he is not a quarterback who can make plays with his legs. While Travis Lulay would be able to escape some of the blitzes Glenn has not been able to, Lulay would also be having his struggles right now if he was playing.

Glenn, quite frankly looks punch drunk from the pressure and hits he has been taking since our home opener and is making uncharacteristic mistakes due to it. Its probably a good thing its Glenn taking this pounding until we can get it figured out, rather than risking the long term career of Lulay.

Our ofensive line has been a problem that Chap was stuck with and Jones has inherited. Even in 2004 with an MOP season from Printers, in 2005, with an 11 game win streak with Dickenson at the controls, and a 2006 Grey Cup winning season with an incredibly talented offensive line, our quarterbacks have been under seige. We led the CFL in getting our quarwerback sacked in those successful seasons.

The fact is that we have always had a very difficult time with stunts and blitzes since Dorazio has been here. Last night defenders came completely free, time and time again, with clear, uninpeded shots at the quarterback. Often our quarterback had less than two seconds to throw. Glenn, a quick release quarterback was sacked 6 times and could have been sacked 12 times. He is not mobile but he has very good pocket presence. The relentless pressure, hits, and sacks he has taken is breaking him down mentally.

A very disappointing loss!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:
Jacque Chapdelaine certainly must have enjoyed this game.

Blitz notes that Chap had to endure Dorazio as OL coach and maybe therein lies a problem. Is this Lions offensive coaching together. Before I blamed JC and players. I always felt watching practices of the Lions that JC seemed somewhat separate and distant from the other offensive coaches and in fact from even the players. Sentiments of how his meetings were conducted leaked out this year with Paopao saying he understood the issue but to let that go.

Maybe Blitz is right. The disconnect in the Lions offense with JC here and the blocking might have been a bigger disconnect with the OL coach. I thought Dorazio and Kruck had it right in 2007 until JC returned and Kruck was couped by the players. Bates is there but to my chagrin this guy's a RB coach having played his entire professional football career not ever seeing what was actually going on behind him with the RBs or the RECs for that matter as the game was being played ahead and beside him. We had hoped to see Bates influence the OL coaching.

I didn't think MB was suited for the role nor prepared and I truly felt that during Dave Ritchie's time here when he could have been learning how to act on a sideline he'd take advantage of it. He didn't. The first year and even second for the most part he sounded like he had a message but it was an attempt to continue on with what Wally left him. Now his message and what the team stands for is unclear. Coordinators with chips on their shoulders doesn't cut it in the pro game.

O'Shea was a fiery player but as a coach the media say he understands that doesn't work - he has to be more setting a tone and keep his head in the game and make good decisions and coach and monitor coaches and overall play.

The Lions are the only team in pro sports to have ever claimed that teaching run blocking and running plays is hard.

While Wally is very loyal to his coaches this could get ugly if the season keeps on like this. Braley has not been known to interfere in football but he certainly will have been given a budget based on tickets sold and other income which a losing Lions team in a Grey Cup year could start falling short of fast.

I agree that Kevin Glenn did not become a bad QB over night but in Calgary they knew his strengths and used them. He is not a QB who can work with no time despite a quick release. Lulay might not be able to even survive a big hit to that shoulder area when he comes back and if he did try to scramble.

I thought give Beck a shot longer if for no other reason than to give mercy to Glenn - who would not see it that way but might be better off.

The run game is pretty vanilla and the Lions signal where they want to go which is fine if they can create the holes - but can't.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnHenry
Champion

creta57 wrote:was it just me but there seems to be more flags thrown away from the play this year ,do you think maybe if the infraction does not affect the play they could pick up the flag or just not throw it.
I agree, there's been a lot of flags away from the play this year...and a lot of phantom and questionable calls where the ref should have kept the flag in his pocket.

p.s. Welcome to Lionbackers, creta57! :rockin:
leo4life
All Star

Harris said post game that they didnt change the game plan untill the 4th Quarter!!!! Are you fricken kidding me? What does Benny do @ halftime? Freezies or ice-cream?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote: While Wally is very loyal to his coaches this could get ugly if the season keeps on like this. Braley has not been known to interfere in football but he certainly will have been given a budget based on tickets sold and other income which a losing Lions team in a Grey Cup year could start falling short of fast.
Speaking of Braley, the Argos are busy self-destructing in Regina at the moment, Ricky Ray having served up two interceptions and two fumbles, possibly the worst game of his career (missing the team's 1 2 and 3 ranked receivers isn't helping). Most of the rest of the team hasn't been much better (Shea Emri is a complete waste of space out there). If both of Braley's teams continue to play like this, the lower bowl at BC Place will easily hold the Lions and Argos home crowds put together.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Harris said post game that they didnt change the game plan untill the 4th Quarter!!!! Are you fricken kidding me? What does Benny do @ halftime? Freezies or ice-cream?
Is Chappy back coaching the offence ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Last season the O line struggled with executing the complex zone blocking scheme, so late in the season the Lions switched to a simpler blocking scheme with great success.

This season the O line is struggling again and while I am somewhat of a knowledgeable fan I am not all that knowledgeable about line play. I admit to not really being able to look at the line play and tell what type of blocking scheme that the Lions are using. So I only suspect that the Lions have gone back to the old complex zone blocking scheme. But management and coaches couldn't be so stupid as to go with what doesn't work and abandon the simpler way that works better, could they? :dizzy:
ziggy
Legend

You can argue all day as to whether it's the game plan, the execution or the talent. I doubt its solely one of these factors. As always it's a combination of the three.

Exceptional talent can cover for poor game plans. Exceptional game planning can cover up talent weakness. But poor execution will kill you everytime.

I'm not convinced we are all that talented throughout the lineup, but hope I'm wrong. Regardless its up to the coaching staff to get the best out of what they have and that isn't happening. You can't change the whole team so it's time to analyse their strengths and weaknesses and draw up a plan that utilizes the former and minimizes the later.

Kevin Glenn is dazed and confused as is most of his offense. Time to sort things out before they start mailing it in!
Rammer
Team Captain

ziggy wrote:You can argue all day as to whether it's the game plan, the execution or the talent. I doubt its solely one of these factors. As always it's a combination of the three.

Exceptional talent can cover for poor game plans. Exceptional game planning can cover up talent weakness. But poor execution will kill you everytime.

I'm not convinced we are all that talented throughout the lineup, but hope I'm wrong. Regardless its up to the coaching staff to get the best out of what they have and that isn't happening. You can't change the whole team so it's time to analyse their strengths and weaknesses and draw up a plan that utilizes the former and minimizes the later.

Kevin Glenn is dazed and confused as is most of his offense. Time to sort things out before they start mailing it in!
That is the key to the losses. If you took our talent by groupings (linebackers, OL, DL and so on) and compared them unbiasedly to the teams that we lost to, then you could find our talent level to a degree. Once that is established, then you take the components of those groups that you think are less talented than the opposition and factor down to the individual talent. Further to that, each group is only as strong as its weakest link, so that individual either has to be replaced, or the scheme is developed to minimize that players weaknesses. Obviously there are limitations on your talent level to others, areas of your team will always be less than anothers team, but it is the consistent groupings that fall below that have to be addressed. Of those groupings, it is easy for us to finger point the OL, so how do we improve that, we have young talent overall, with two mainstays at this point, Olayfioye and Valli, plus looking at past history, Dorazio is a constant. That was the easy one, feel free to carry on.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Besides if a new O-line ever wants to make his players puke all he has to do is show them game tape from Fridays game...