Bombers vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

swervynmerv
Legend

Outcoached in the majority of the games we have played this year
cromartie
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:Half baked game plan on both sides of the Lion's ball...sloppy, undisciplined play that quite frankly dishonors Geroy, and his retirement night at BC Place :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:
The gameplan wasn't the problem. An offensive line that can't block, and a defense that can't handle the time of possession imbalance and can't close was/is the problem.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm accusing the Bombers of running up the score on our home town boys. :wink:

NEWS FLASH - Jacque Chapdelaine has just suffered an injury from a fall

- a fall off his chair laughing at the 6 points generated by the Lions offense!!! :wink:

I do think the offense is an issue as to looking vanilla on a lot of run plays.

At the end of the day they 've been out coached.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:I should be playing for the Lions tonight cause I'm out of it too!! Been posting on the wrong thread all night :bang:
Aha ha ha...what thread were you on Merv...so funny!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
cromartie
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:Outcoached in the majority of the games we have played this year
Six sacks surrendered.

Three turnovers.

An offensive line that played like dog*bleep*.

A blitz that couldn't get to the quarterback.

But by all means, blame the coaches.
swervynmerv
Legend

PigSkin_53 wrote:
swervynmerv wrote:I should be playing for the Lions tonight cause I'm out of it too!! Been posting on the wrong thread all night :bang:
Aha ha ha...what thread were you on Merv...so funny!
Keys to the game! Benny and Khari were on their with me!
swervynmerv
Legend

cromartie wrote:
swervynmerv wrote:Outcoached in the majority of the games we have played this year
Six sacks surrendered.

Three turnovers.

If you had to rank the coaches in the CFL would/could you honestly rank ours higher than the bottom third of the league?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

cromartie wrote:
Six sacks surrendered.

Three turnovers.

Next try is to blame the coaches for gift-wrapped interceptions, dropped passes and fumbles.

Coaching was the least of their problems tonight.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Winnipeg loaded up the box and we had no answer for their heat. Out coached again, the players looked listless. Just plain bad guys. Turned off the TV halfway through the 3rd quarter. What a brutal performance. Just brutal.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I'm accusing the Bombers of running up the score on our home town boys. :wink:

- a fall off his chair laughing at the 6 points generated by the Lions offense!!! :wink:

The last time we scored 6 or less at home, was the game just before Don Matthews was fired:

Sun, Oct 11, 1987; CGY 34 @ BC 6
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:I'm accusing the Bombers of running up the score on our home town boys. :wink:

The last time we scored 6 or less at home, was the game just before Don Matthews was fired:

Sun, Oct 11, 1987; CGY 34 @ BC 6
That is a telling statement my friend...and I was always under the impression that it was the coaches responsibility, to get the players into a state of physical and mental preparedness and conditioning.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
cromartie wrote:
Six sacks surrendered.

Three turnovers.

Next try is to blame the coaches for gift-wrapped interceptions, dropped passes and fumbles.

Coaching was the least of their problems tonight.
Players have to do their part and they didn't. This team is lacking in something in the player mix. Espec. offense.

But if Khari Jones and the OFF coaches aren't game planning for what they know a Gary Etcheverry DEF will bring, and their plays are failing as they can't pick up the blitzes and stunts that the WPG DC is known for - then who to assess blame to? Some surely was players not reading for example a 2nd half Safety blitz and the guy tries too late to come back to his left to make a block. That is on the player.

Glenn's INT was brutal BUT how he is playing like a deer in the headlights of a Mac truck seems as much to do with the plays they are calling and the OL not able to pick up what WPG is known to be doing. The Lions aren't good enough on offense to be able to say - we don't care what you are doing on the DEF side, we'll just our thing. That seems to me to have a dose of coaching in there.

There certainly seemed to be a malaise in the team from the get go. They seemed to believe they were fantastic last week and just had to turn up. That is on them but in part on the coaches for letting this level of collective thinking set in.

Wally recently complained of lack of tempo in practice. That is something as a HC he was a master at - as he let his coaches coach and he watched everything with a critical HC eye as the good HC's do. That plus keeping top talent and developing QBs was his path to be the top of the CFL chart in wins. Is his HC doing that ? I'd say no at this juncture.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy