Cornish on 6 game injured list

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Rumors are starting to emanate from the Stamps that Jon Cornish may about to be put on the 6 game DL. If true, and based on their last weeks offensive performance, you have to think this is a huge blow. As tight as the west is right now, it would be hard for the Stamps to be without their main offensive weapon for that long.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

It's official as of this morning. He's on track to sit out through the Sep 1 Labour Day classic and return for the Sep 5 rematch in Edmonton.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=457741
The Calgary Stampeders have played without running back Jon Cornish for the last three weeks and could be without the reigning Most Outstanding Player for another six.

The Stampeders placed Cornish on the six-game injury list on Wednesday morning and he would be eligible to return on Sept. 6 when the Stampeders play in Edmonton.

Cornish took to Twitter to speak to Calgary fans about the injury.

"To the fans that are worried about stats/accolades... The things I still have left to win aren't won during the season," he wrote.

He also added: "The future of my job(s) and life necessitated making a decision I will not regret."

The team, however, has the right to activate him prior to that date if the situation allows.

"Jon continues to make progress in his recovery but we understand the importance of being extremely careful with this type of injury and we want to make sure Jon has all the time he needs to get completely healthy," said Stampeders general manager and head coach John Hufnagel in a statement. "We look forward to having Jon back in the lineup and, in the meantime, other players have stepped up in his absence. I'm confident that will continue to be the case."

Cornish was diagnosed with a concussion after being knocked out of a Week 1 win over the Montreal Alouettes by linebacker Kyries Hebert.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Rumors are starting to emanate from the Stamps that Jon Cornish may about to be put on the 6 game DL. If true, and based on their last weeks offensive performance, you have to think this is a huge blow. As tight as the west is right now, it would be hard for the Stamps to be without their main offensive weapon for that long.
Stamps didn't exactly light up the last game, scoring 10 points without Cornish. Walters is decent, but without Cornish and his ability to shed potential tackles, the Stamps O isn't exactly firing like it has. Stamps do have Mallett in their back pocket, it will be interesting to see if he makes on the game day roster. If he doesn't now, what are his chances of ever getting into a game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As much as this helps us, I can't help but think that Heibert who delivered such a cheap high shot should have gotten more of a punishment. Cornish is one of the premier players in the league and when he doesn't play we all lose in some fashion. I hope he makes a quick and full recovery and hope that the players union will stop being so concerned with protecting the likes of Heibert from just punishments while letting another of their own suffer from injuries that should not have been.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
almo89
Legend

This is good for the Lions, but like all of us here, we are fans of the league. Having an all star Canadian talent sitting in the pressbox is bad for everyone.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:This is good for the Lions, but like all of us here, we are fans of the league. Having an all star Canadian talent sitting in the pressbox is bad for everyone.
Thats how I feel too! I hate Cornish as a player but that is only because he's effective.

I guess he'll be all rested up and ready come the battle of Alberta games (missing tomorrows of course).

The savings from the salary cap issues might allow for some flexibility later........
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The Calgary Stampeders have had plenty of adversity thrown at them over the last few years.

They've had quarterbacks go down, forcing them to start three different pivots last year. They've had receivers, including the durable Nik Lewis and the explosive Maurice Price among others, go down with injuries of their own.

The team basically ran out of defensive linemen at the end of last season. Somehow they persevered.

But this week in Edmonton a new challenge has been thrown their way. That challenge is to find a way to succeed without regining Canadian Football League Most Outstanding Player Jon Cornish, who was placed on the six-game injured list, meaning he is eligible to return to play on September 6 in Edmonton.

If he returns to health, the team has the option to pull him off the six-game list but that move would have some salary cap implications.

The decision to place him on the six-game list was an unexpected one for the Stampeders. Earlier in the week, Cornish indicated he was ready to play in the first place showdown in Edmonton. However, over the past weekend, the headaches returned and he was placed on the six-game list.

"We really don't know the time length of when he will be get back on the field," noted coach John Hufnagel after Calgary's arrival in Edmonton.

"We want to give Jon every opportunity to get it right and relax a little bit. And not have the pressure of getting back on the field."

The decision to sit Cornish for an extended period was also heartily endorsed by Calgary quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell.

"I think it's the right think to do. I think concussions are something you don't mess with,"added Mitchell.

"You hear from a lot vets and guys that have gone through it. They say never come back to soon."

The decision to place Cornish on the sidelines opens the door for more regulat duty from runnning back Matt Walter. Walter, the career rushing leader at the University of Calgary, has been the starting tailback in the last two games.

"We (Walters and Mitchell) always talked about playing together and coming up together," said Mitchell, who, like Walters joined the Stampeders in 2012.

Mitchell may be concentrating on kick starting the running attack, but he is also on the cusp of a big achievement. With a win, Mitchell would tie the record for most wins at the start of a career for a quarterback. The victory would equal the career-opening mark of seven wins, held by former Stampeder quarterback Jeff Garcia.

Ironically, Mitchell spent considerable time this off-season at Garcia's quarterback camp in California, refining his craft.

A Calgary win would give the Stamps their fourth win in as many games, their best start ince 1996. Stampeders will also be missing veteran long snapper Randy Chevrier, who is out with a leg injury. Time St. Pierre will be taking his palce. The team will also debut corner Brandon MacDonald, who takes over from Buddy Jackson. Jackson is battling a hamstring injury.