Awesome TV ratings for Leos/Bombers despite sloppy effort

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnHenry
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Will be interesting the ratings now that the NFL regular season has started.
Normally the NFL has little effect on CFL ratings. When they play head-to-head on Sundays, the CFL audience is usually near thei league average, while the NFL and other sports ratings suffer (like TFC's 22,000 rating last Sat.) One CFL Sunday game usually has much higher ratings than all NFL ratings combined across Canada in that time-slot. Although NFL ratings have been growing steadily in Canada since TSN has them taken over, heavily promoted them (often during CFL broadcasts).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Will be interesting the ratings now that the NFL regular season has started.
Normally the NFL has little effect on CFL ratings. When they play head-to-head on Sundays, the CFL audience is usually near thei league average, while the NFL and other sports ratings suffer (like TFC's 22,000 rating last Sat.) One CFL Sunday game usually has much higher ratings than all NFL ratings combined across Canada in that time-slot. Although NFL ratings have been growing steadily in Canada since TSN has them taken over, heavily promoted them (often during CFL broadcasts).
The Winnipeg/Saskatchewan Banjo Bowl Sunday blew the NFL competition out of the water and was the No. 1 sports TV program of the weekend, with 1.1 million viewers. The early CFL game, Hamilton/Montreal, didn't do so well and drew 413,000 viewers to TSN but the weekly ratings don't count French-language viewers on RDS, where most of Montreal's fans watch.

The Lions/Redblacks game did surprisingly well in the weekend ratings, given the early Friday start time and the low-scoring nature of the game, drawing 668,000 viewers. It was the fifth highest rated sports event of the weekend but lost its time slot to a Blue Jays/Red Sox game on Sportsdnet that drew 821,000 viewers.

Yahoo Sports blogger Chris Zelkovitch offers more perspective on why the CFL has nothing to fear from head-to-head scheduling matchups with the NFL.
Great Canadian Ratings Report: CFL fares well in Sunday showdown with NFL
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I don't know what TSN's plans are due to the slate of new channels but most, if not ALL, of the CFL games were replayed tonight, even our game in Ottawa. Maybe this won't or can't happen once hockey gets going but I think its great they replayed most of the CFL schedule for this week....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Winnipeg/Saskatchewan Banjo Bowl Sunday blew the NFL competition out of the water and was the No. 1 sports TV program of the weekend, with 1.1 million viewers. The early CFL game, Hamilton/Montreal, didn't do so well and drew 413,000 viewers to TSN but the weekly ratings don't count French-language viewers on RDS, where most of Montreal's fans watch.

The Lions/Redblacks game did surprisingly well in the weekend ratings, given the early Friday start time and the low-scoring nature of the game, drawing 668,000 viewers. It was the fifth highest rated sports event of the weekend but lost its time slot to a Blue Jays/Red Sox game on Sportsdnet that drew 821,000 viewers.

Yahoo Sports blogger Chris Zelkovitch offers more perspective on why the CFL has nothing to fear from head-to-head scheduling matchups with the NFL.
Great Canadian Ratings Report: CFL fares well in Sunday showdown with NFL
Interesting. These numbers seem in tune with what I wrote in my last post in the "One Division" thread. Of the four games, the two all-west matchups led the way in the ratings. Even though Ott is still mathematically alive in the playoff race (only one win out of second and two out of first going into the BC game) it didn't seem to inspire as much viewership for a game that aired in prime time in the East.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Chris Zelkovich has the latest round of weekend sports tv ratings. Seems a lot of Rider fans had little interest in watching their team get pummeled by the Ticats on Sunday as their game was dead last among the league's four matchups. Where numbers are available, 531k is the season-low for Ssk viewership this year (ratings N/A for out-of-weekend games).

The top 10 overall were as follows.
1. CFL, Argonauts at Stampeders, Saturday, TSN: 871,000
2. CFL, Blue Bombers at Lions, Saturday, TSN: 786,000

3. MLB, Rays at Blue Jays, Friday, Sportsnet: 743,000
4. MLB, Rays at Blue Jays, Saturday, Sportsnet 654,000
5. CFL, Alouettes at Eskimos, Friday, TSN: 614,000
6. NFL, early games, Sunday, CTV: 609,000
7. NFL, late games, Sunday, CTV: 571,000
8. CFL, Roughriders at Tiger-Cats, Sunday, TSN: 531,000
9. MLB, Rays at Blue Jays, Sunday, Sportsnet: 502,000
10. NFL, Bears at 49ers, Sunday, TSN: 462,000 (NBC viewers not measured)
Discounting our Friday games with pre-5pPT kickoffs, this is the first time this season that a weekend Lions game has not led the league in ratings, although we had a wide margin on 2nd place over the Mtl/Edm game. The large comeback by Cgy might have buoyed their ratings. Also, I don't know if Saturday's Whitecaps game, a 2-1 loss in Dallas, was televised but if so, it didn't make the top 20 where the ratings cutline was 115k.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
JohnHenry
Champion

sj-roc wrote:Chris Zelkovich has the latest round of weekend sports tv ratings. Seems a lot of Rider fans had little interest in watching their team get pummeled by the Ticats on Sunday as their game was dead last among the league's four matchups. Where numbers are available, 531k is the season-low for Ssk viewership this year (ratings N/A for out-of-weekend games).

Discounting our Friday games with pre-5pPT kickoffs, this is the first time this season that a weekend Lions game has not led the league in ratings, although we had a wide margin on 2nd place over the Mtl/Edm game. The large comeback by Cgy might have buoyed their ratings. Also, I don't know if Saturday's Whitecaps game, a 2-1 loss in Dallas, was televised but if so, it didn't make the top 20 where the ratings cutline was 115k.
It should be noted those CTV NFL ratings are the combined ratings of all NFL games shown on CTV stations across Canada in that time slot, and include the ratings of those watching on American cable channels. So that's 1 CFL game on TSN (cable) against up to 5 or 6 NFL games on national networks (CTV) + (CBS, NBC, FOX). Even combining all those NFL ratings, the single CFL game usually draws higher ratings on Sunday, despite TSN having only 75% of the number of subscribers as CTV, CBS, NBC or FOX in Canada. Although the NFL games did beat out the Ticats last week, as C. Zelkovich said, that was probably a blip, as the CFL is No. 1 in Canada! :thup:

Speaking of MLS ratings:

DOGS OF THE WEEK: Toronto FC continues to create more interest for its boardroom machinations than what takes place on the pitch. Saturday's game against Chicago drew an average of 14,000 viewers to Sportsnet 360. Regardless of the possible explanations, that's as close to being a non-entity as you get.

:cool:
JohnHenry
Champion

sj-roc wrote:Chris Zelkovich has the latest round of weekend sports tv ratings. Seems a lot of Rider fans had little interest in watching their team get pummeled by the Ticats on Sunday as their game was dead last among the league's four matchups. Where numbers are available, 531k is the season-low for Ssk viewership this year (ratings N/A for out-of-weekend games).

It should be noted those CTV NFL ratings are the combined ratings of all NFL games shown on CTV stations across Canada in that time slot, and include the ratings of those watching on American cable channels. So that's 1 CFL game on TSN (cable) against up to 5 or 6 NFL games on national networks (CTV) + (CBS, NBC, FOX). Even combining all those NFL ratings, the single CFL game usually draws higher ratings on Sunday, despite TSN having only 75% of the number of subscribers as CTV, CBS, NBC or FOX in Canada. Although the NFL games did beat out the Ticats last week, as C. Zelkovich said, that was probably a blip, as the CFL is No. 1 in Canada! :thup:

Speaking of MLS ratings:

DOGS OF THE WEEK: Toronto FC continues to create more interest for its boardroom machinations than what takes place on the pitch. Saturday's game against Chicago drew an average of 14,000 viewers to Sportsnet 360. Regardless of the possible explanations, that's as close to being a non-entity as you get.

:cool:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Chris Zelkovich has the latest round of weekend sports tv ratings. Seems a lot of Rider fans had little interest in watching their team get pummeled by the Ticats on Sunday as their game was dead last among the league's four matchups. Where numbers are available, 531k is the season-low for Ssk viewership this year (ratings N/A for out-of-weekend games).......

I don't know why TSN even bothers having a vote if the Riders WIN. If the Riders WIN, thats the game that gets replayed.

What I liked about last week is ALL FOUR games got replayed on the different channels/different times. IIRC, there were three games on at the same time but on different channels. That made sense, IMO. One week earlier this season there was a Rider blowout win but there was another game I was hoping to catch because it came down to the last drive (maybe it was Bombers/Ticats?). NOPE, Rider blowout gets replayed. Democracy in action, they got the votes, they got their pick....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions lost a game on the weekend but climbed back atop the CFL TV ratings.
Jamie Dykstra ‏@CFL_PR
most watched sports broadcast from this past weekend: @BCLions vs @CalStampeders - 793k on #TSN #CFL
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions lost a game on the weekend but climbed back atop the CFL TV ratings.
Jamie Dykstra ‏@CFL_PR
most watched sports broadcast from this past weekend: @BCLions vs @CalStampeders - 793k on #TSN #CFL
Good News! The Lions are the most popular game on television.

Bad News! What the fanbase is actually seeing.
dupsdell1
Champion

cromartie wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions lost a game on the weekend but climbed back atop the CFL TV ratings.
Jamie Dykstra ‏@CFL_PR
Good News! The Lions are the most popular game on television.

Bad News! What the fanbase is actually seeing.

Yes here is all the raitings for what was going on

1. NFL, Eagles-Niners/Falcons-Vikings, Sunday, CTV: 785,000

2. CFL, Lions at Stampeders, Saturday, TSN: 784,000

3. CFL, Roughriders at Eskimos, Friday, TSN: 716,000

4. CFL, Tiger-Cats at Blue Bombers, Saturday, TSN: 676,000

5. NFL, Bills-Texans/Lions-Jets, Sunday, CTV: 570,000

6. NHL, Sabres at Maple Leafs, Sunday, Sportsnet: 472,000

7. CFL, Alouettes at RedBlacks, Friday, TSN: 455,000

8. NFL, Saints at Cowboys, Sunday, TSN: 444,000 (NBC viewers not measured)

9. MLB, Orioles at Blue Jays, Friday, Sportsnet: 402,000

10. MLB, Orioles at Blue Jays, Sunday, Sportsnet: 379,000

11. MLB, Orioles at Blue Jays, Saturday, Sportsnet: 375,000

12. Auto racing, NASCAR AAA 400, Sunday, TSN: 284,000

13. Golf, Ryder Cup final round, Sunday, TSN: 220,000 (NBC viewers not measured)

14. NHL, Flames at Canucks, Friday, Sportsnet One: 208,000

15. NHL, Maple Leafs at Sabres, Friday, Sportsnet One: 191,000

16. Martial arts, UFC preliminaries, Saturday, Sportsnet 360: 159,000

17. Soccer, West Ham at Manchester United, Saturday, Sportsnet: 150,000

18. Golf, Ryder Cup third round, Saturday, TSN: 130,000 (NBC viewers not measured)

19. Soccer, Arsenal at Tottenham, Saturday, TSN: 107,000
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Wonder who'll be in the replay game this week? Doubt it'll be the Riders because they didn't win :wink: . Based on the games, I'd vote Montreal/Ottawa or Ticats/Bombers. I missed the most of the second half of the Lions/Stamps game live (work event-on a Saturday night :dizzy: ) but caught the full game on one of the TSN channels.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:Wonder who'll be in the replay game this week? Doubt it'll be the Riders because they didn't win :wink: . Based on the games, I'd vote Montreal/Ottawa or Ticats/Bombers. I missed the most of the second half of the Lions/Stamps game live (work event-on a Saturday night :dizzy: ) but caught the full game on one of the TSN channels.
Looks like the Riders are on the 5PM game, loss and all.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
notahomer wrote:Wonder who'll be in the replay game this week? Doubt it'll be the Riders because they didn't win :wink: . Based on the games, I'd vote Montreal/Ottawa or Ticats/Bombers. I missed the most of the second half of the Lions/Stamps game live (work event-on a Saturday night :dizzy: ) but caught the full game on one of the TSN channels.
Looks like the Riders are on the 5PM game, loss and all.
I WAS STUNNED to see it too! Usually if there is a nail-biter game that goes to the wire, IOW, a CFL Classic up against a complete blowout win by the Riders....The Rider replay gets shown. I was amazed that a SHUTOUT of the Riders was the game voted to be replayed.

As much as I enjoy watching the Riders get shutout, my vote (I never bother to do so) would have been one of the closer games. I realize even the Lions/Stamps game was closer (on the scoreboard)......