Lions Ring of Honour

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:As to where they can hang the ring of honour flags - well it's not their own stadium - and it's multi purpose use precludes the Lions doing their own thing.
I've noticed the Whitecaps cover/replace the Lions' RoH banners with Bell advertising as per this photo. I suppose some Lion fans might balk at this but it strikes me as more about branding the Whitecaps gameday experience in what is as you imply a shared facility.

I would think on banner placement, the Lions ought to be free to put them wherever they want in the building as long they're prepared to cede control of their visibility at non-Lion events and/or take them down when the game is over.
What Lion fans have to be concerned about is the tarping off of seats a la Whitecaps so that they are not there for last minute or walk ups. It might drive more marginals to buy season packages or partials but that's a maybe.

What a reduced seating capacity gives the team is more leeway to raise prices per seat and less costs to staff the stadium.
I suppose one huge advantage that Rogers Centre in Toronto and CenturyLink Field in Seattle have that unfortunately BC Place does not have is the colour scheme for their two biggest tenants as well as the seat colours. :sigh:

In Rogers Centre, both the Argonauts and the Blue Jays incorporate double blue and white in their uniforms along with the dark blue seats which allow the team decorations to co-exist peacefully.

Similarly in CenturyLink Field both the Seahawks and the Sounders wear dark blue and light green uniforms along with the dark blue stadium seats so that's why their banners can hang side by side.

Unfortunately BC Place does not have that luxury as the Whitecaps and Lions have totally different colour schemes.

If BC Place is covered with double blue and white Whitecaps decorations and when the Argonauts are in town, then does that give the impression that the stadium is supporting the Toronto instead?

Likewise, with all the orange Lions decorations in a Whitecaps game then the impression might be that the stadium is rooting for the Houston Dynamo instead with their orange uniforms when they came to town on March 29, 2014. Understandably they tried to cover as much of orange in the stadium as possible including the upper bowl seats.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

What did you think about the Geroy Simon Lions Ring Of Honour induction at halftime?

What did you think about the location of the banner - right under the press boxes and right above the highest row of seats in the lower bowl?

I don't think that will be a permanent location.

http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?collection=72&show=406718

His own speech was good but there was a serious omission when he acknowledged his quarterbacks. :shock:

At 11:30 of the video, he said: Dave Dickenson, Spergon Wynn, Casey Printers, Buck Pierce, Jarious Jackson, and last but not least Travis Lulay.

It's good that he named te less popular Lions like Spergon Wynn and maybe even Casey Printers. But how could he forgot his first QB when he joined the Lions in 2001 and who played two seasons with - Damon Allen! :bang:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Going back to the issue of conflicting and disruptive decorations between Lions vs. Whitecaps in BC Place.....

A few months ago the Whitecaps FC recently created their own Ring of Honour and there were four inductees:

And just like week Whitecaps fan favourite and legend Carl Valentine his inductee ceremony:
[video][/video]

Unfortunately double blue and white are not the colours of the Lions and seeing that in BC Place, one would think that the Argonauts are in town.

I'd say the player and his player's number does have as strong of a connection in soccer as there is in hockey and football, and I wonder how many people knew that Valentine's number was #21. A huge exception though might be the other Whitecaps inductee which is also a local and legend which will conflict with the Lions counterpart - #5 in BC Place - for Lui or Lenarduzzi?

-----------------

Congratulations to the Seattle Sounders for winning another recent championship and there's no need for any jealousy for the Whitecaps since it was only a US-based tournament - the 2014 Lamar Open Cup.

I stated above that CenturyLink Field has an advantage as both tenants use the same blue-green colour scheme so both team's banners can co-exist peacefully and another banner will come up soon and maybe another if the Sounders win the 2014 MLS Cup.

Will the Whitecaps follow suit and hang at least 8 blue Whitecaps banners to commemorate all their past championships and disrupting the orange Lions decorations - both in colour and quantity? :shock:
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Congratulations to the Seattle Sounders for winning another recent championship and there's no need for any jealousy for the Whitecaps since it was only a US-based tournament - the 2014 Lamar Open Cup.

I stated above that CenturyLink Field has an advantage as both tenants use the same blue-green colour scheme so both team's banners can co-exist peacefully and another banner will come up soon and maybe another if the Sounders win the 2014 MLS Cup.
At the last Seattle Sounders 2014 regular season game in which they clinched the Supporters Shield, there have been a few changes with regards to the Sounders banners. Their alliance group wanted to acknowledge past championships: http://www.sounderatheart.com/2014/10/2 ... o-fruition
First, the long-term issue... the rafters of CenturyLink now pay proper homage to all of the past championships that the Sounders have won.

For a couple of years, the Council has been asking the Club to put up banners that celebrated the 1995 and 1996 championships that the Sounders won while playing in the A-League.

We had banners for the 2005 and 2007 USL championships, but we wanted all of our Club's history represented up there. Unfortunately, the Club didn't have room in the budget for the '95 and '96 banners, but at the mid-season meeting with team GM and owner Adrian Hanauer, the Council brought it up again.

The Club heard us and, as part of our ongoing celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Sounders, decided to go for it. Due to space considerations, they chose to consolidate all of those championships onto one banner, and now all of our past is paid proper respect.
There are still five banners, but one of them shows four past championships in one banner.
Will the Whitecaps follow suit and hang at least 8 blue Whitecaps banners to commemorate all their past championships and disrupting the orange Lions decorations - both in colour and quantity? :shock:
Now, I really wonder if Southsiders will follow suit although I can imagine it's hard to squish 8 championships into one banner. Perhaps three banners - one for the 1979 NASL win, one for 5 championships from 1988-91 as 86ers, and one for the 2006/2008 USL-1 wins.

In any case, Go Whitecaps as they head into the playoffs. :thup:
祝你龍年行大運。