Lions 41 - Alouettes 5 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

The game KINDA happened like I thought it would..........

I thought the Lions would get out to a big lead (10+ points) and then the Al's would take chances trying to get back into the game. When those boundaries get pushed, it would be feast time for the Lions secondary.

Instead the Al's just never got around to pushing the ball the way I thought they would.

My highlights.....

Watching Higgins challenge a challenge (both worked out in BC's favour).

Harris and Logan both playing ala Joe Smith=style. Not I do not mean collecting empty pop cans :wink: . I mean lowering their shoulders and trying to pound the Al's defence. THis worked out better for Harris obviously but inspiring to watch from both of them.....

Deep throws AND pounding running IN THE SAME GAME. Maybe this idea of a balanced offence isn't so crazy after all.....

I am looking forward to seeing this version of the Lions play against the BlueBombers. I don't mean they need the same game plan on offence/defence, just be the team that seems to be dictating what gets done. I mean Montreal SHOULD HAVE opened up and tried to score more points but they didn't probably because they knew it would just end up in their endzone. I don't mind seeing defensive battles but a Blue Bomber Blowout By BC, BEAUTIFUL....

Guess we'll see.....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Ochocinco's body language is strange. His behaviour is good, but not good in a football sense. Disengaged. Confused. Lost on passing plays. Not taking advantage of motion. Not adapting well to the CFL game. I bear him no ill will. But I had doubts about this initiative from the get go.
He had one pass thrown to him all night. If I recall he also had one pass thrown his way in our first meeting. Right now, Johnson is a highly paid decoy. Wouldn't surprise me if the Als release him.
I noticed he was playing the wide side wideout position which tends to see the least amount of pigskin. Not sure there's much opportunity for him to be in motion unless the play calls for another receiver to be on the line of scrimmage.
Suitor was talking about Ochocinco not using the waggle. In one replay he was lost, drifting around, not sure what to do. Was not watching him beyond that.
Waggle A waggle is the motion of a receiver towards the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped. Slotbacks generally take a running start towards the line of scrimmage, timing their arrival with the snap of the ball. I believe Don Matthews introduced this term, stating his wide receivers would waggle and his slotbacks would wiggle, when he introduced his philosophy as new head coach of the BC Lions in 1983. The waggle became the descriptor for the slotbacks’ running start as it became adopted across the league.

http://cfldb.ca/glossary/on-field/
I very much like the pre snap motion allowed in the CFL, especially in how it takes advantage of the big field.

Even Mad Mike Kelly had some novel ideas with motion. What is it with Irish coaches with the Bombers? Bud Riley. Cal Murphy. Mike Riley. Cal Murphy again. Jim Daley. Doug Berry. Mike Kelly. Tim Burke. Mike O'Shea. Winnpeg Fighting Irish?

Still basking in the big victory. But that was a shambles of a Montreal team. We are going to be in tough all year, with Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg above us, and Regina still to get going. Feels like playoff pursuit crunch mode already.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:Terrific analysis Blitz. I also like what I am seeing on the field. Benevides was toned down, but he was still waving his arms about trying to get players attention while his OC was standing right next to him signalling the play. My thought is that he feels "lost" on the sidelines without something to do. In one instance, the Oline were sitting down with a coach talking to them and Bene came over and said something to them, and you could see their heads swivelling. To me the time for the head coach to be coaching is not on the sidelines. But, yes, he has toned it down.

On ST, I notice that Phillips and Marsh on the punt return team. Yes, they have speed to get downfield, but are they the type of players that you want to be opening up seams for Logan to run through? Maybe Marsh, but Phillips??

I though that Glenn made some very "firm" passes over the middle under pressure. Those slant passes are an area that we should exploit with Gore and Taylor's sure hands now that the Oline seems to be able to move defensive players to the side so that Glenn has visibility and can throw an arrow, instead of having to loop it over the on-rushing defensive players.
Insightful points regarding Benevdes. I really think you're right Dusty...Benevedes ego means that he needs to have his voice heard. It can be a problem for Head Coaches not comfortable in the role and they have to stick their nose in situations when its not warrented. I remember Wally doing that one season, when Ritchie was coaching the defense. It got to the point where the players would just ignore Wally....as he was calling defenses from his old Calgary defensive coordinator days that the defense had never practiced.

You make a great point on Phillips on special teams..there is no way he should be on a return team.

Have to say my favorite play was watching Taylor run the football after Smith's block. He is huge but you can see how athletic he is by the cut he made on the run back...rare to see a defensive tackle his size run like that.

More on WCJ''s comments on our offence later...
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I took my brother to the game, who isn't a huge CFL fan, but my season ticket partner couldn't make the game. He is one of the type that thinks the NFL players are automatically way better, so I thought it would be interesting for him to watch Chad Johnson. (although, he obviously doesn't even follow the NFL that much, since I had to explain who Chad Johnson was! Typical of guys that don't know much about the sports, but don't respect the CFL)

Well that was a non-event. I watched him on a few plays, and he seemed to be open a few times, but was never the prime target. Even on plays where he may have had a chance to be thrown to, while cutting across the middle, Troy Smith was hurried or sacked and it didn't happen. I really don't think they are giving him a chance. I don't even think they threw it his way. He may not be what he used to be, but he isn't to the level where you just leave him on the wide side and never throw his way.

I think it is too bad that Chad Johnson went to a team that clearly lacks in the QB department. It would be nice to see what he can do on a team that actually has a QB.

Anyway, my bro had a great time, and it was also his first time in new BC Place, and thought it was awesome.
South Pender
Legend

I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention, but why was Mitchell not playing? Is he hurt? If so, how long is he expected to be out?
David
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention, but why was Mitchell not playing? Is he hurt? If so, how long is he expected to be out?
Back injury that he picked up in the Rider game. Did not see him on the sidelines during the game.

I thought Whitaker sliced and diced up the middle a few times. Probably doesn't happen with Khalif in the line-up.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Nice posts Cro and Nota...thanks for your thoughts...SP, Mitchell will be back against WIN.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Brandon London was spouting off to our section pre-game. Trying to rile us up. The guys in the front row were sure giving it to him by the games end. I guess some players do well by being the bad guy or psyching themselves up beforehand. I prefer to say nothing, OWN the play and then continue to say nothing....
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The receiving core did an excellent job blocking after catches and during running plays and the Oline did as well.

One interesting comment during the broadcast was a theory put forth by Suitor (I think) was that during the expansion draft, Ottawa focused on selecting O linemen and it has left some O line holes to fill around the CFL. Lions lost Albright who is starting for Ottawa and of course the Lions had Archibald and Kabongo retire.

Logan was very effective on wide runs and short receptions in getting to the sideline and picking up a 1st down or close too it. I'm thinking that he is enjoying that wide Canadian field that suits him so well.

On D it is very impressive that the Lions are starting 2 rookies in Yell at wide side CB and Josh Johnson at NKL/LB and another rookie in Torri Williams at dimeback in Lin J Shell's old spot. The impressive part is that it doesn't show.

The linebacker group has to be the best in the CFL. I thought that the Lions brought Jamal Johnson in to play Bank's old spot at NKL/LB but he is actually playing Anton McKenzie's old spot as relief/rotational LB. Quite impressive that the rookie Josh Johnson as won the NKL/LB spot and looks good making INTs or near INTs and seemingly around the ball a lot.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:.....The linebacker group has to be the best in the CFL. .....
There is a really cool wall-poster with Sol-E and Biggie. Its a gigantic poster on the way into the Canada Line station @ Cambie/Broadway. You can tell those two really enjoy playing on the same team.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

The win is always good, especially as we're in the extremely competitive West Division, but I'm not getting too excited. I've been on record here saying that the season doesn't really get started until Labor Day, marathon not a sprint.

Troy Smith had a terrible game. Chad Johnson should not be playing the wide side wide out, move him closer to the ball and let him work the crossing routes underneath; a single target for #85 during the game is not enough. Brandon Whitaker had a good start, but the game got out of hand quickly and he was consequently made a non-factor; simply have to get him involved in the passing game. Two targets for SJ Green the whole game with no catches? That is a total game planning fail.

How was Khreem Smith allowed to play after throwing that punch in pre-game warm-up? Manny looking for another stint down south, based on the way he balled yesterday.

Take the win and show up to work Monday, big game against Winnipeg coming up. Even keeled...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Things must be getting awfully slow Canucks-wise. Tony Gallagher had a piece on the Lions game in Sundays paper. I like the quote by Dante Marsh "We don't get paid to play, we get paid to win". Not entirely true but good rallying cry, nonetheless.

I was really hoping to see a replay of yesterdays game on TSN2. Most CFL games are replayed at least once. My bet is that this weeks winner of the TSN replay game, since the Riders have a bye, will be the Argos/Redblacks game.......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Things must be getting awfully slow Canucks-wise. Tony Gallagher had a piece on the Lions game in Sundays paper. I like the quote by Dante Marsh "We don't get paid to play, we get paid to win". Not entirely true but good rallying cry, nonetheless.

I was really hoping to see a replay of yesterdays game on TSN2. Most CFL games are replayed at least once. My bet is that this weeks winner of the TSN replay game, since the Riders have a bye, will be the Argos/Redblacks game.......
I saw that TG piece, too. DM must have listened to WB's recent 1040 interview.

I thought it was going to be encored on TSN2 when I got home. It was definitely listed as such (8:30p) in the programming schedule on their website as late as Friday; I even posted about it. When I tuned in I got lacrosse instead.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Couple of guys sporting #85 Ochochinco in my section. Very quiet all game as was #85
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Anyone remember IIRC the 2nd down holding penalty against the Als? Lions elected to take the penalty and not third down. Almost came back to bite them. The double challenge play. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing