Leos/Als Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The Montreal Als travel west to B.C. Place tomorrow afternoon to play our B.C. Lions. The Als kicked our butts when we travelled east for our second game of the season. It was one of our most embarrassing losses in a decade of football and one of our most miserable offensive performances I can ever remember.

This is not just an opportunity for revenge but also an opportunity for our coaching staff to prove that they can take on a very skilled blitzing defense and be successful. The last time our Leos played a blitzing defense that was this good and shredded it was in 2003, when Steve Burratto surprised Don Matthews well-coached Als with double tight ends all game and made life miserable for the blitzing strategy.

Considering that we are last in the league in time of possession so far this season, our defense has held us in games for periods of time. If we can put some drives together, have a reasonable time of possession, and can run the football, we have a very good chance to win this game.

This game will not be about 'players making plays'. This game will be about 'coaches coming up with winning strategies to beat the blitz'. Here are my keys to the game.

1. Go Double Tights Almost All Game

This is not a game to just go double tights on first down but on almost every down. You can't run block six, seven, and even eight defenders blitzing with five offensive lineman. The defense penetrates and there are no holes. You can't pass block with five offensive lineman when there are six or seven defenders blitzing and coming from everywhere with stunts. A defender will have a straight line to the quarterback on most pass plays.

I will be disappointed if we go with the spread set on passing downs, even if we keep the back in to block. I will be disappointed if we go spread set and swing the back out of the backfield. Montreal will key Harris and Logan with a defender all game and will be prepared for us throwing the quick pass to the flat.

We need to run the football and pass the football out of double tights. Its the best way to attack the Als blitzing defense with both the run and the pass. The best way to use the tailback, if we want to utilize Harris or Logan out of the backfield is to put the back in motion and use a quick screen or send the back downfield.

2. Go Vertical

There are some who believe that you attack a blitzing defense with the short passing game. That is exactly what the Als want you to do and they often play press coverage. Going short passing attack is the only choice out of the spread. You only have time to have the quarterback catch the snap and throw it, ususally for a very short gain. A better way is the double tight formation. It provides the opportunity for better pass blocking. It gives the quarterback the opportunity to be able to throw short passes but also occasions to go vertical. Beating a blitzing defense vertically throws fear into defensive coordinators. Vertical doesn't always mean the deep ball. It means running seem patterns, skinny posts, slant patterns, hook/stop patterns, skinny corners, and the quick fly.

3. Use the Screen/ Motion/Tight End Game.

The full out blitz often means man coverage, sometimes with a deep safety, sometimes not. Using motion causes all kinds of problems for press coverage. The defender doesn't get the opportunity to set up and play press coverage. It creates assignment headaches. Wide bunch formations can also create problems so using three receivers to the wide side with a single receiver to the short side in one on one coverage with no safety help.

Our Leos will likely use Lumbala and Gore as tight ends but this is a game in which they should use Haidara as a tight end at times. He is a big receiver who can block and is a big target. Our Lions should not just use our tight ends as blockers but slip one of them out into a pass pattern at times. That will cause the Als some big problems. The tight end is close to the quarterback and can easily slip into areas vacated by blitzing defenders for quick passes. Using Haidara at times to block, rather than Gore, and using Haidara to pass receive at times, in place of Lumbala, on passing downs would make good sense.

Finally, the screen game is critical but importantly we need to run different screens. Stationary hitch screens are not the best strategy nor our tailback screens. Screens would be most effective when we have both backs in the game, when we utilize slotback screens, tight end screens, and motion screens.

4. Mix Coverages on Defense

The best way to play the Als offense is to mix coverages against an inexperienced quarterback. The Als have some big receivers and a quick passing attack that will go deep when they see one on one coverage. Blitzing the hell out of them is not the best strategy. Smith will lock onto his primary receiver. You want to avoid one on one coverages with those big receivers. This is a game to go with an import free safety and ensure there is double coverage deep while playing tight coverage underneath. It will provide opportunities for interceptions. We just need to create enough pressure up front to make sure Smith doesn't have too much time and a single blitzer, coming from different spots, should get that done.

With Khalif Mitchell likely not able to go and Westerman starting, we can anticipate the Als will attack the inside with the run game. Eliminian, Bighill, Jamal Johnson, and Josh Johnson will need to scrape and penetrate in the run game to narrow down the inside holes as well as create early disruption. We need to 'attack' the Als run game fromn the linebacker positions rather than defend it. Washington said he wanted to play aggressive defense this year. Aggressive defense against the Als offence means penetration against the run and tough underneath coverage against the pass, while taking away the opportunity for the deep play.

Looking forward to reading Lionbackers posters keys to the game because Lionbackers always get it right. :beer:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the in depth keys, Blitz.

Dunno that we always get it right on Lionbackers, but we do give it our best shot.

Some ideas ...

* Run the ball. Hopefully we can find some well considered ways to block, when the Alouettes are intent on blitzing. Hopefully we develop some good ideas based on tendencies. Harris needs a gap. It is not productive if your running back is faced with a wall of tacklers. Harris can move the pile. Harris can make guys miss. He can even run over some guys. But he needs a gap for our running game to be productive. It is not all on him. Same for Logan. We need a good scheme for him.

* Passing game. Hopefully we find vulnerabilities that we can exploit. Quick hitters. Look ins. Some vertical routes.

* Pass Protection. Oh Boy. Will we be ready? Dean Valli, a straight shooter, has admitted that our scheme was not all that it could be in the first couple of games. And we had some individual troubles (particularly at left tackle, although Dean did not point fingers). Latest news has Hunter Steward starting at LT. Good for him. We have drafted well lately for our O Line. Let's give him time. It speaks well of him that we are doing so. And let's be somewhat patient. And let's hope that our game plan has help for him. :thup:

* Pressure Troy Smith. Get to him before he develops some rhythm in the game.

* Stout run defence. I do expect this.

I expect we will better than our first two games. We beat a Riders team that was playing poorly. This is no gimme. The Alouettes organization may be moving in the direction of some stability once again. Popp has been extended. Smith looks like a very worthy candidate to follow Calvillo.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

GREAT POST Blitz...its football 101 and its incredible that we need to be discussing this with uncertainty heading into a pro game, but we are...if any of you have ever blitzed a QB whats the ONE DOWNER when blitzing??? When an offensive player steps up and puts their helmet on your chin...damn, that smarts...MAKE BLITZING D's PAY!!! As Blitz said, it isn't about a short passing game, its a QUICK passing game, and that can and should include lots of vertical routes...as Blitz said, the skinny post is a QBs best friend against a blitzing D, as the receiver has to be open...has to...the CFL field is huge and hard to cover...and when you blitz and play man, there is NO SUPPORT available in 2-3 seconds...so Glenn can take 2, 3 and 5 step drops and make pin point passes down the seams to make this "cheating" defence pay...plus, as Blitz said, Jumbo formations (double tight) and run the ball down their throats...and not with slow developing, or lateral runs...but VERTICAL runs right at them...you want to negate Chip Cox? Run the ball down his throat...

If the Lions do these things they will win going away...on Defence, again as Blitz said, mix things up for the inexperienced QB and make him earn everything he gets...don't sit back in a soft zone and let him build his confidence like we did last time...PRESSURE this kid from all angles!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

Excellent insights WCJ and MLF

As WCJ notes, we need to create that first initial gap for Harris or Logan. The one thing about blitzing defenses is that if that tailback can hit that initial hole (of course there has to be one) he can run off a big gain at times because the linebackers are often blitzing.

By starting a Canadian left tackle in Steward, I wonder how we will use the extra import. Will we dress an import tackle on and not use him? Will we go with an additional import receiver? I would love to see us use Torri Williams at safety in this game. Question: how would you use the extra import WCJ.

I really believe its time we gave Adekelo a shot at some playing time. Its not as if Poblah has been blowing the lights out and Adekelo had a great training camp. I also believe that its time we gave Haidara some more reps and the Als are a purrfect team to use him against, getting him in at the tight end position for Gore.

I agree MLF that the running attack has to be vertical. Running laterally is a death sentence against penetration and fly reverses don't tend to work either as Chap learned the hard way last year in our first game against Montreal.

Defenses that send as many players as Montreal are using a high risk, high reward strategy. If your offence is not prepared well for it its very high reward. However, a blitzing defense can be destroyed with excellent offensive strategy and execution.

We'll sure find out tomorrow which one of the two it is...

..and like you MLF I'll be pissed if we play soft zone aginst Smith and those big receivers...they are just too big of targets who can sit down in the seams in a zone and make plays...you gotta force them out of their comfort zones.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: By starting a Canadian left tackle in Steward, I wonder how we will use the extra import. Will we dress an import tackle on and not use him? Will we go with an additional import receiver? I would love to see us use Torri Williams at safety in this game. Question: how would you use the extra import WCJ.
OL backup possibly.

Safety.

Our lineup looks pretty good. International receiver? International 5th DL? Running back backup?

I find the ratio not too difficult for teams these days. There is lots of Canadian talent, and the pool is growing.

I like J.R. LaRose, but it seems like he does not make a lot of plays. Benevides has adopted that phrase, "makes plays," and it goes back decades in football. As a philosophy of how a team has to play, I would hear Jimmy Johnson use it. And I believe it. Ya gotta make plays. Each guy. And no passengers. And no guys hiding. And J.R. is hardly ever on any stat sheet. Our staff seems to believe in him. Except that we tried very hard to sign Craig Butler.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pressure, pressure and more pressure. Troy Smith is basically a rookie back there. Bring blitz from every angle
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Pressure, pressure and more pressure. Troy Smith is basically a rookie back there. Bring blitz from every angle
I'd LOVE to see it, hopefully they would NOT find an answer. I'd love to see a linebacker have a MONSTER day feasting off of Smith's stumbles. Or have Ryan Phillips make a new Durant-type friend in Smith.

Maybe lets go real wild, maybe JR laRose has a multipick game :wink: nah, lets get into dreamworld here.....

I hope our offence picks it up and has a good solid game.....
Rodu
Champion

Westerman is starting for Mitchel who is on the one game list, with Jordan backing up at DT, not DE
leo4life
All Star

Tom Higgins was on Global news sports saying his defence will be bringing lots of pressure and looking to confuse the Lions O as much as possible.Hope Benny and staff are well prepared this time around.Watched the Stamps/Ti-Cats game and Stubler has their D firing on all cylynders.Josh Bell had a great pick in the back of the end zone.Also how bout them RedBlacks?! LOL
Blitz
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:Tom Higgins was on Global news sports saying his defence will be bringing lots of pressure and looking to confuse the Lions O as much as possible.Hope Benny and staff are well prepared this time around.Watched the Stamps/Ti-Cats game and Stubler has their D firing on all cylynders.Josh Bell had a great pick in the back of the end zone.Also how bout them RedBlacks?! LOL
I was thrilled to see the RedBlacks win their hoome opener.

Montreal brings lots of pressure every game and tries to confuse...often successfully.
Rodu
Champion

When you blitz as much as the ALs do, someone somewhere will be wide open
Rammer
Team Captain

Rodu wrote:When you blitz as much as the ALs do, someone somewhere will be wide open
Often that is the extra Al player coming untouched through the OL, but I hear what you are saying. Would be nice if Steward excels in this game, it may allow Glenn some extra time to find that open Lion receiver.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Rodu wrote:When you blitz as much as the ALs do, someone somewhere will be wide open
Often that is the extra Al player coming untouched through the OL, but I hear what you are saying. Would be nice if Steward excels in this game, it may allow Glenn some extra time to find that open Lion receiver.
Steward Is quicker than Cave and that is very important in pass blocking, especially against blitzing defenses. He is a rookie national playing in his first game but Steard also played tackle at college even though he was pencilled in as a guard for our Leos.

I think its an upgrade from Valli and Cave, who both have played the spot (Valli in the second half of our first game and Cave the last two games)

Left tackle is a concern, obviously, but its not critical to winning this game. What's critical is a very good game plan and play calling against the Montreal blitz. Those two things will be the most important aspects of todays game...good offensive strategy and game calling and we win this game..without it we lose.