Arland Bruce sues CFL over concussions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:Does anyone else think that Arland Bruce III may have nixed his chance of getting into the CFL Hall of Fame by suing the CFL?
Can't say as I ever thought of ABIII as HOF material. Very good receiver? Yes. HOF? Not sure about that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Big Time
Champion

Loved ABIII when he was with us. Still believe he was the catalyst to our last championship season. The guy was a silky smooth talent on the field.

However HOF? Not a chance. Even judging by just his on the field accomplishments, he falls into the category of above average player, but not a superstar. Factor in the off field nonsense and he falls well short.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:Does anyone else think that Arland Bruce III may have nixed his chance of getting into the CFL Hall of Fame by suing the CFL?
Can't say as I ever thought of ABIII as HOF material. Very good receiver? Yes. HOF? Not sure about that.
Notwithstanding the intangibles, his stats would seem to stand him a chance. Six 1000yd seasons. Two Grey Cup rings. 5x divisional all-star, 3x league all-star. He's 11th all-time in receptions, just two behind Nik Lewis at 10th (the gap is admittedly widening as Lewis's career continues, much like Lewis himself). He's 10th in rec yards (over 11k), and 5th in rec TDs. Virtually everyone eligible and ahead of him in these categories is already in, as are several of those who trail just behind him; Mookie Mitchell is the only exception I could ascertain.

Although come to think of it, his career has some strong similarities to MM's. Both have six 1000yd seasons, 2 rings, 5 div nods, 3 league nods. Receptions differ by under 60, yardage totals off by only about 400 and they're just 4 TDs apart. MM hold the single-season reception record (160) while AB holds the single-game mark (16). They both had their longest and perhaps best career stretch in Toronto and they're even close size-wise: acc to wikipedia MM was listed 5'9, 190; AB 5'10, 191.

Maybe you're on to something there after all, Hambone. Maybe MM & AB are (sort of) Mike Gartner/Cam Neely/Pavel Bure types in a league with stricter HOF criteria.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm actually surprised that our Leos have not had a lawsuit before this one.

Two that had potential were Dave Dickenson, who appeared to be rushed back from concussions too soon on at least two occasions and Casey Printers, who played with a really bad rotator cuff injury in 2005, when he couldn't even throw overhand during practice weeks and pre-game (throwing underhand) but played in games and also Printers in 2010, who played on a very injured knee that required knee reconstruction surgery. A third was Corey Mantyka who played with a very injured arm for the 2005 season and really could only use one arm.

We seem to have progressed, in terms of thinking, regarding playing players with serious injuries in recent years. I don't think that Bruce has a strong case, due to contacting the Lions this year to see if we were interested but who knows.

Certainly football is a powerful contact sport and players need to play with nagging bumps and bruises and strains but the days are gone or should be gone where teams knowingly play a player with a serious injury..and the responsibility is not up to the player...its up to the medical staff and the club to make the right call...they have the onus of responsibility and under tort law, they are negligent if they do not act in a 'reasonable' way or they are considered negligent.

The sports world is changing.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:I'm actually surprised that our Leos have not had a lawsuit before this one.
Not quite the same thing but I vaguely recall a player, about 10 years or so ago, who was cut even though he was still recovering from some injury, which would be in violation of the CBA. IIRC he took successful legal action against the Lions.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Blitz wrote:I'm actually surprised that our Leos have not had a lawsuit before this one.
Not quite the same thing but I vaguely recall a player, about 10 years or so ago, who was cut even though he was still recovering from some injury, which would be in violation of the CBA. IIRC he took successful legal action against the Lions.
There were several players that fall into that category, often the teams just come to terms with them so it doesn't reach media and the courts. For the most part, it came down to hospital costs and their contract being paid out. Part of the business of football, a few of these cases are on public record, not just for the Lions. IIRC there was a QB playing for Calgary and Buono at the time who was cut, ended up in a car accident and of course by being cut wasn't insured, that was a messy situation, but IIRC he was helped out financially.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:There were several players that fall into that category, often the teams just come to terms with them so it doesn't reach media and the courts. For the most part, it came down to hospital costs and their contract being paid out. Part of the business of football, a few of these cases are on public record, not just for the Lions. IIRC there was a QB playing for Calgary and Buono at the time who was cut, ended up in a car accident and of course by being cut wasn't insured, that was a messy situation, but IIRC he was helped out financially.
There's one particular player I'm thinking of as it made the papers but his name escapes me. As for the Cgy QB I think that was Troy Kopp in 2000, unfortunate indeed. I do recall someone in the Stamps org saying to the effect that they would go beyond their CBA obligations to help pay his medical bills. Not really sure whether the CBA has evolved over the last 14 years to address this stuff, hopefully so for the players' sake.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IIRC it was the Lions who told Dave Dickinson that his career was done and that he shouldn't risk another head shot. And then he went to Calgary and played a few games before they realized DD was no longer the QB he once was.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:IIRC it was the Lions who told Dave Dickinson that his career was done and that he shouldn't risk another head shot. And then he went to Calgary and played a few games before they realized DD was no longer the QB he once was.
Ditto for Buck Pierce......although he led Wpg to the 2011 GC, he still was high risk to "re-concuss".
Lloyd
aklawitter
All Star

DD, BP, MD, come on down!
Ravi
Legend

DanoT wrote:IIRC it was the Lions who told Dave Dickinson that his career was done and that he shouldn't risk another head shot. And then he went to Calgary and played a few games before they realized DD was no longer the QB he once was.
DD was still an effective QB but he suffered yet another concussion on Labour Day and that is what ended his career.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Ravi wrote:
DD was still an effective QB but he suffered yet another concussion on Labour Day and that is what ended his career.
What I recall is that he did not have his typical surgeon like passes and just didn't look or play all that well prior to his final injury.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Ravi wrote:
What I recall is that he did not have his typical surgeon like passes and just didn't look or play all that well prior to his final injury.
I thought that DD was still pretty good, but the last concussion was hardly a hit to concern a healthy QB. It is nice to see him adjusting to life after playing as well as he is.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Tighthead
Legend

I remember Wally letting Jarious start a game when his throwing shoulder was still iffy at best. Buck, CP, DD, JJ and maybe others were not well managed as I recall.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A couple of terms come to mind ... "ironhead" and "soft melon."

Even the hardest, thickest skull sustains damage. I think the days of talking about a QB with a soft melon are done. That attitude is being phased out.

The damage is cumulative in extent and vulnerability.

I recall Dave D, near the end. I think opponents knew he was vulnerable. After one play, he looked a bit woozy. He was walking to the sidelines. An Eskimo was walking in the opposite direction. He backhand tapped DD on the helmet. I did not like it. It was a hard tap, more like what Deacon Jones used on O Linemen. I thought it was sneaky and deliberate, and just beneath the radar of a foul, as it might have looked like a way to go tap. Dave D had to kneel down a few steps later I seem to recall. It seemed obvious to me that it "rang DD's bell."

I tend to think most veterans have some issues in this area. Most seem to heal up enough to allow high function post career.

Boxers? MMA fighters? Hockey fighters? Dunno if those guys can heal up. And those hockey guys seem like the greatest guys off the ice.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.