Alouettes @ Lions, July 19, 2014 Preview & Depth Chart

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Montreal Alouettes at BC Lions

History is not on the side of the Alouettes. They have had problems playing well traveling East to West across the country for a 4pm kick-off time in Vancouver. Troy Smith looked better as a quarterback but so did Kevin Glen for the Lions. In their first meeting on July 4th, Montrael exposed a week offensive line for BC but this time around it should be better as the starting five have a game together under their belt and the video of that July 4th game to learn from. You can't expect Andrew Harris to have a second game as good as he had last week in Regina, but you can expect someone else to step up and shine. The Alouettes are good but have not played well in BC Place. The Lions will move to 2-2. -- Chris Schultz
We have tradition on our side. Montreal usually plays poorly out here.

We played with good intensity and focus in Regina. Hopefully that will continue.

I think that most expect a win for us. As do I. But I would not be inclined to bet a lot of money on it.

Will we be prepared for the Alouette blitz? Will we be able to run the ball effectively? Will Troy Smith take a while longer to really establish himself as a top level CFL quarterback? It looks like he just might have the makings.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bring pressure, pressure, and pressure. Troy Smith has not demonstrated to be an accurate passer. Hopefully with the pressure he'll launch a few wounded ducks. Maybe even JR Larose might snare one.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Bring pressure, pressure, and pressure. Troy Smith has not demonstrated to be an accurate passer. Hopefully with the pressure he'll launch a few wounded ducks. Maybe even JR Larose might snare one.
:rotf:

I think whomever leads controls the game. I do NOT see the Al's getting out to the lead like they did with the freebie TD. I know they earned the picksix but Glenn's gonna be careful and hopefully a steady dose of run will get the Lions out to a lead. I do not like Smith's chances facing our Defence, if he is battling from a trail position, especially if that trail position gets into double digits....
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Montreal Alouettes at BC Lions

History is not on the side of the Alouettes. They have had problems playing well traveling East to West across the country for a 4pm kick-off time in Vancouver. Troy Smith looked better as a quarterback but so did Kevin Glen for the Lions. In their first meeting on July 4th, Montrael exposed a week offensive line for BC but this time around it should be better as the starting five have a game together under their belt and the video of that July 4th game to learn from. You can't expect Andrew Harris to have a second game as good as he had last week in Regina, but you can expect someone else to step up and shine. The Alouettes are good but have not played well in BC Place. The Lions will move to 2-2. -- Chris Schultz
We have tradition on our side. Montreal usually plays poorly out here.

We played with good intensity and focus in Regina. Hopefully that will continue.

I think that most expect a win for us. As do I. But I would not be inclined to bet a lot of money on it.

Will we be prepared for the Alouette blitz? Will we be able to run the ball effectively? Will Troy Smith take a while longer to really establish himself as a top level CFL quarterback? It looks like he just might have the makings.
I don't think that the Als play poorly, they just end up losing in some form or manner, just remember the Allen to Jackson 107 yard TD after the pick in the endzone to win the game in front of about 17K fans...that was the beginning of this run.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Qman
Champion

don't know why Wally and Co. caved to the league.
This game was usually scheduled at 10:30et every year ... Als usually fell asleep by the 2nd quarter.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

IMHO, establishing the run game is paramount in having success against the Als defence.....as well as as better designed/executed screen passes to compliment the quick passing game.....against Sask, the dump out to the flat was totally useless and was snuffed out early and often by the Sask defence.....some variation is required.

Defensively, containing Smith, keeping him in the pocket and forcing him to be a pocket passer is the recipe for victory.
Lloyd
David
Team Captain

We're going to need to stretch Montreal's defense a little bit. I'm not saying go vertical every down, but something to loosen their DBs a bit and keep them honest is in order. They will have watched plenty of tape of our last game and will be playing our receivers tight off the LOS (likely a heavy dose of press coverage).

Als will be quite banged up for this one STORY HERE.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Its the exact same game plan from SSK, and the one that we should have executed in MTL...pressure their QB early and often...don't let him get any rhythm. On Offence, double tight offences that feature running the football and the quick passing game...with MTL's team speed, we don't need any slow developing plays...even their DLine is smaller than average and fast...quick hitters that attack weak spots...and run the ball RIGHT AT CHIP COX...let's see how well he does trying to shed Kirby Fabien...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:don't know why Wally and Co. caved to the league.
This game was usually scheduled at 10:30et every year ... Als usually fell asleep by the 2nd quarter.
I concur. It's like giving up home advantage to have it start at 7:00 (Al time)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Its the exact same game plan from SSK, and the one that we should have executed in MTL...pressure their QB early and often...don't let him get any rhythm. On Offence, double tight offences that feature running the football and the quick passing game...with MTL's team speed, we don't need any slow developing plays...even their DLine is smaller than average and fast...quick hitters that attack weak spots...and run the ball RIGHT AT CHIP COX...let's see how well he does trying to shed Kirby Fabien...
Reminds me of the time the Lions had two small but quick cornerbacks named Jerry Bradley and Rich Robinson. Teams were reluctant to attack their areas because the passes were either knocked down or intercepted. Riders finally figured out how to beat them by running wide sweeps with big pulling guards who flatten the 5'10" and 185 lbs backs
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I'd say it's more a matter of the league caving to TSN. They have a Whitecaps game @SLC scheduled to air as soon as our game wraps Sat evening. The time of day debate kind of cuts both ways as I've argued before: the Lions handicap themselves in terms of getting kids — future customers — interested in the game by so often playing past their bedtime. We seem to be the only market that has historically shunned weekend/holiday matinees, even late in the season.

Speaking of programming notes, TSN2 will encore the game ~90min later at 8:30pm. Even without PVRing the HD broadcast you can watch it all again if you get home fast enough.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
I concur. It's like giving up home advantage to have it start at 7:00 (Al time)
Did you guys somehow think that with TSN paying $42 million for TV broadcast rights that they wouldn't get input into game broadcast times? Which start time do you think will draw a bigger TV audience in the east a 7pm start or a 10pm start?

In the future, with TSN calling the shots on scheduling, I would expect a lot more afternoon games in BC especially if it is an eastern opponent.
green road kill
Rookie

Did we turn the corner last week? Hopefully maybe , I'd say yes . Nowone gave the Leo's mutch of a chane in Gopherville,the Rider dline was supposed to eat us alive and Durant was going to shred us like toilet paper, sorry didn't happen.The Leo's came out with some fire in there bellies ,ran the ball ( Harris was a demon ) and wen't to the short quick passes , to beat the SK pass rush and blitzes. The deffence was supperb dominated the second halve , and finally we just started to play football.Can the Leo's take all the good from last weeks game into this won ? YAH they can. Glen had his best game as a Lion ,he showed leader ship and poise the oline play was mutch better ( a good game plan helped ). The lion's have 4/5's of a pritty good oline and the left tackle will get sorted out. This week against Montreal more of the same attack the blitze attack press coverage attack there dline attack there lb attack what evere stunt they try. Will they key on Harris you betcha, go play action ,keep them of balance. if Montreal comes up in press coverage , Let Manny CT and Jackson take 'em on one on one ,I bet we'l win those battles.On d more of the same. We have lost one game at home and Montreal ran there yaps off after the last one, look fore our Leo's to come out with something to prove.
274always
All Star

boy there sure are a lot of seats still available for grey cup 102. usually the venue got sold out by this time the last 5 years. you guys a need a few wins to get folk buyin'.

I don't expect an als win but if they get one we'll probably have a parade in their honor. ;)
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

274always wrote:boy there sure are a lot of seats still available for grey cup 102. usually the venue got sold out by this time the last 5 years. you guys a need a few wins to get folk buyin'.

I don't expect an als win but if they get one we'll probably have a parade in their honor. ;)
The fans of the two participating teams will be a buyin', but not for a while so don't worry about it.