TSNs F. Laji tweets: Ryan Cave to be released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I thought he had a much better game against the Riders although still lots of missed blocks in the passing game but some good run blocks.

The question is who replaces him? Player, Stewart or some new International with no CFL experience? :cr:
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Cave looked out of shape (read excessively chunky) and slow of foot......LU says that both new imports were taking first team reps....as well as Hunter Steward had some early reps in today's session.

The measurables of Hardrick at 6'7" 320 lbs makes him ideally suited for playing OT in the CFL.....hopefully, they can quickly get him up to speed......but with the extra week of practice, we'll probably see Moreland, no slouch at 6'5" 321 lbs, starting against the Als......a good measuring stick with Montreal's blitzing/attacking defence.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Cave looked out of shape (read excessively chunky) and slow of foot......LU says that both new imports were taking first team reps....as well as Hunter Steward had some early reps in today's session.

The measurables of Hardrick at 6'7" 320 lbs makes him ideally suited for playing OT in the CFL.....hopefully, they can quickly get him up to speed......but with the extra week of practice, we'll probably see Moreland, no slouch at 6'5" 321 lbs, starting against the Als......a good measuring stick with Montreal's blitzing/attacking defence.
Can't afford to have Cave in vs the Als once again, unless the concept is to make Bowman the player of the week winner. Plus the gig is up on the surprise O that the Lions plan on playing for aggressive D's, so being able to pass without as much pressure would help open up the playbook.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hardrick, Jermarcus

T

International

2014-05-20

Nebraska
http://www.bclions.com/roster/index/team/1

Big. Very big. Young. Very young. Born earlier this year. LOL

I have a lot of sympathy for Ryan Cave. "Not good enough." Throw him on the pile of all those guys deemed to be "not good enough" for our O Line. I have this image of someone going through a chest of old clothing, throwing stuff back over their head. LOL Keep looking. All Cave did was get thrown to the wolves, give us a rescue job, and be sent on his way. Bye. And he contributed to a victory in Regina. Good luck Hardrick. Good luck Moreland. Airlift Stage 2?

Ryan Cave was not a stopgap, said Benny. It turns out that is exactly what he was.

Dunno if either of the new guys was at one of our tryout camps. If so, that would help the evaluation and recruitment process. If not, it is more of a shot in the dark.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions have to limp through to LDay weekend when a few better quality OT will be available after the NFL makes its final cutdown. As for Benevides pump up the tires kind of talk, just picture the used car dealer owner and know that only a portion of what he says is true, the rest is just pure tire pumping (or chest thumping pending the situation).
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:I thought he had a much better game against the Riders although still lots of missed blocks in the passing game but some good run blocks.

The question is who replaces him? Player, Stewart or some new International with no CFL experience? :cr:
Maybe even Fabien with Steward or Player sliding into LG?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

Not much available from the NFL scouts on either Hardrick or Moreland. They're certainly both big enough, but that's just a part of the picture. Are they quick and agile enough to play the very-demanding LT spot? What I look for when I'm interested in agility is the player's combine results in the 20-yard shuttle. Can't find this info on either of these guys. Seems Moreland played more guard than tackle in college. As Rammer points out, we may have to wait until the season is about 60% or more over before some real quality OTs show up after being final cuts from NFL TCs, although it's always possible that a gem may become available via a mid-training camp cut. And then again we may get lucky with one of these two. I do think that LT is probably best seen as an international slot. Here are a couple of links that may interest some (although they don't contain much key info), one an interview on video with Jarien Moreland and the other a little (very little) on Hardrick's measurables:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=ot
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another left tackle starting for the Lions. You can bet your bottom dollar they will be attacking the left side of our offensive line by stunts, blitzes to confuse our blocking. Hope Khari Jones run the ball right at them.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Another left tackle starting for the Lions. You can bet your bottom dollar they will be attacking the left side of our offensive line by stunts, blitzes to confuse our blocking. Hope Khari Jones run the ball right at them.
Sure hope they make the Al's pay........

I think part of the problem the Lions had last time was getting down early. IMO, the AL's are a much easier team to beat if they are trailing. If our D can hold the Al's until a lead happens... I like to see our O-line tee-off on the ALs' this time.....
cromartie
Hall of Famer

If memory serves, the Lions went through a couple of LT's in the early part of the 2010 season, so this isn't unparalleled. Not how you want to go through a season, particularly a Grey Cup hosting season, but no unparalleled.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

As a Cornhusker fan I have seen Hardrick play a number of times...nothing to write home about...at least he came through the Nebraska program at a time when they were throwing the football a lot...so he knows how to pass block on the edge and obviously knows how to run block...

As for the Als, double tight formation, and run straight at them...especially Chip Cox...target that little sh$t with the run game...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
pennw
Legend

Ya , running right at them on that side would be good and have Lumbala in a lot taking out guys on that side too . Let Bowman come up the middle while Harris or Logan or even Lumbala at times run past his vacated spot .