Bazzie

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

I've been watching Bazzie last couple games and he is making no impact on the game. He can't seem to beat CFL tackles. Khreem and Eric have been great this season especially against the riders. Maybe it time for wally to pick up the phone and pay Keron the money he wants, because we need another strong DE if we are going to contend this season.
Rodu
Champion

he's no Gary Butler, but yeah, the minute a tackle puts his hand on them he's done. Any idea when Jordan gets back? We have zero pass rush from a four man front
pennw
Legend

My thoughts on Bazzie too . IMO he's just too small , but going back to Keron is no answer either .Going backwards usually isn't . While pressure has not been great from the front four it was much better in the Rider game , but it was mostly coming from Khreem Smith and Eric Taylor . Jordan should be given another look i think , he does have a good size advantage over Bazzie and may be well suited for the DE spot , where he still may do well yet , rather than the DT spot where he is just too light at 255 . Bazzie really is just a linebacker playing a DE spot and we already have some good linebackers we can rush off the edge as we saw last night.
David
Team Captain

Bazzie could be effective down the road but not now. Rookie mistakes like not turning his shoulder on pursuit so Durant goes upfield instead of to the outside. He should be on the PR.

I think we are 1 good rush end away from having an absolutely dominant defense - you could put Bill Reichelt in at safety and it wouldn't much matter. Full marks to Khreem Smith for whom I have been a fan of and stood up for since Day 1. He has been a beast on the end. But we need a bookend (could Jordan be that guy? Maybe, but he gets injured so much it's hard to tell). We've had a great start to the season even without Khalif registering a single stat. Josh Johnson is a stud. This is only going to get better if everyone stays healthy and we get better production out of the left defensive end spot.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

David wrote:Bazzie could be effective down the road but not now. Rookie mistakes like not turning his shoulder on pursuit so Durant goes upfield instead of to the outside. He should be on the PR.

I think we are 1 good rush end away from having an absolutely dominant defense - you could put Bill Reichelt in at safety and it wouldn't much matter. Full marks to Khreem Smith for whom I have been a fan of and stood up for since Day 1. He has been a beast on the end. But we need a bookend (could Jordan be that guy? Maybe, but he gets injured so much it's hard to tell). We've had a great start to the season even without Khalif registering a single stat. Josh Johnson is a stud. This is only going to get better if everyone stays healthy and we get better production out of the left defensive end spot.

Khreem's come into his own this year. He is a beast.

just pay Keron the money for a one-year fill in. They guys they have got now can't do the job.
swervynmerv
Legend

David wrote:Bazzie could be effective down the road but not now. Rookie mistakes like not turning his shoulder on pursuit so Durant goes upfield instead of to the outside. He should be on the PR.

I'd take Bill at safety. I bet he wouldn't drop sure interceptions like La Rose!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with the posters that Bazzie does look lost out there. He's just out of college and feeling his way in the pros. I'm willing to give him a few more games to him to adjust.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I agree with the posters that Bazzie does look lost out there. He's just out of college and feeling his way in the pros. I'm willing to give him a few more games to him to adjust.
Sounds like the logical approach as long as the DL does push the OL around enough to disrupt the QB's and of course the Lions win. If you start losing, then you have to look at the weak link, although that never reaches the back end of the Lions D.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:Bazzie could be effective down the road but not now. Rookie mistakes like not turning his shoulder on pursuit so Durant goes upfield instead of to the outside. He should be on the PR.DH :cool:
Last night there was a couple times I thought Bazzie reminded me of Chris Wilson in his first several games as a rookie. He seemed to be getting into the backfield fast on those occasions but has some work to do on his angles of pursuit. Wilson used to explode into the backfield so fast he'd run right past the ball carrier or QB. I wonder if this is the sort of thing where the new CBA hurts a rookie. I believe they're only allowed 1 padded practice per week now and of course you can't really go hard at the QB either in practice. Seems to me there is probably less opportunity for a rush end to learn the finer points of his craft in practice than any other positional player.
Last edited by Hambone on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I agree with the posters that Bazzie does look lost out there. He's just out of college and feeling his way in the pros. I'm willing to give him a few more games to him to adjust.
Takes terrible angles. Has no business on a pro field.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
Takes terrible angles. Has no business on a pro field.
Funny. That's what I thought about a certain BC cornerback wearing #31 when I watched BC playing in Edmonton about 3 games into his rookie season. Dante made some terrible reads that game that resulted in Eskimo TDs. At times he really looked lost out on the field. He turned out OK. I'm not trying to say Bazzie will turn out to be as good of a pro as Marsh. Just saying even some of the best in the game needed a bit of time to find their game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:Takes terrible angles. Has no business on a pro field.
He reminds me a lot of Chris Wilson, who often came clean off the edge as a CFL rookie but missed the QB. He developed into a solid NFL rush end. The Lions have opted to invest this year in the potential of Bazzie and the injured Brandon Jordan over the experience of Wilson. There will be growing pains but the Lions need at least one young starter on the line.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
He reminds me a lot of Chris Wilson, who often came clean off the edge as a CFL rookie but missed the QB. He developed into a solid NFL rush end. The Lions have opted to invest this year in the potential of Bazzie and the injured Brandon Jordan over the experience of Wilson. There will be growing pains but the Lions need at least one young starter on the line.
And I think that is an important distinction. Unfortunately with the short CFL TC where they are restricted to 1 padded session per day and only 2 exhibition games where a rookie will get to play 2 maybe 3 quarters, if he's lucky, teams have little choice but to play the guy and live with the growing pains. You have to look at a guy, recognize potential and be willing to give him several games, not 2 or 3, to make that ultimate decision of whether he'll live up to what you envision or not. We as fans don't see the whole story unless we are specifically watching a player each and every time he's on the field. On somebody like Bazzie the coaching staff will be breaking down game film on just about every move he makes. If he's consistently making the same mistakes in Week 3 as Week 1 maybe they do have to look for somebody else. But if the game tape he's showing to be reducing those mistakes and making progress then they have to stick with him. What's important to the team is the player they envision him becoming by Week 13 or 14, not the one of today. If they see him as being on track for to reach the potential they will live with him.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
And I think that is an important distinction. Unfortunately with the short CFL TC where they are restricted to 1 padded session per day and only 2 exhibition games where a rookie will get to play 2 maybe 3 quarters, if he's lucky, teams have little choice but to play the guy and live with the growing pains. You have to look at a guy, recognize potential and be willing to give him several games, not 2 or 3, to make that ultimate decision of whether he'll live up to what you envision or not. We as fans don't see the whole story unless we are specifically watching a player each and every time he's on the field. On somebody like Bazzie the coaching staff will be breaking down game film on just about every move he makes. If he's consistently making the same mistakes in Week 3 as Week 1 maybe they do have to look for somebody else. But if the game tape he's showing to be reducing those mistakes and making progress then they have to stick with him. What's important to the team is the player they envision him becoming by Week 13 or 14, not the one of today. If they see him as being on track for to reach the potential they will live with him.
:whs: nailed it
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Going to admonish myself for my previous comment. Bad commenter! Yes, the lack of preseason reps makes it challenging for a newcomer to get enough snaps to figure out angles and tendencies in our game. He's learning and showing signs he can make the adjustments.