Lions 26 @ Riders 13 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Much better effort.

Harris was awesome. He has been on my all time list of favourite Lions for a long time. A supernatural football talent. Carries that 213 very well. Always a wise decision to build a game plan around him.

Better game prep vs pressure on Glenn.

Very tough atmosphere in Regina. Full credit to our guys for a huge win. Still got three teams above us in the West.

Defence pretty good. Slowed down the Riders run game, although Charles had 86 yards in about one half of play. Kept Durant in the pocket. Good pressure on Durant.

Sloppy game. Crazy Regina game.

14 penalties on us. Some of the phantom variety.

Durant pretty much Ofor the second half.

D Line strong effort. Khreem. Eric.

Solo and Biggie strong effort.

O Line good hard work. Better prep. Planned better to keep pressure off Glenn. Planned better to get holes for Harris.

We righted the ship a bit. But it ain't easy out there. Edmonton and Winnipeg are going to be tough all year. They are still above us. Calgary is still the flagship of the league IMO. They are above us. We are tied with Regina with one win. For 4th place in the West.

We had maximum effort tonight. Not exactly smooth. Harris did what he can do.

Stats coming ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

We mauled them
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
K. GLENN 16/27 170 1 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 5 65 0 16
E. ARCENEAUX 5 53 0 24
C. TAYLOR 3 34 1 20
S. LOGAN 1 7 0 7
E. JACKSON 1 6 0 6
K. POBLAH 1 5 0 5

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 18 138 1 58
S. LOGAN 11 47 0 13
S. GORE 1 1 0 1

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
A. LAROSE 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 3/4 41 2/2 11

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. SCHMITT 9 44.7 336 65

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
S. LOGAN 6 77 12.8 36 0
A. HARRIS 1 10 10.0 10 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. SCHMITT 2 135 71 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
S. LOGAN 4 91 22.8 28 0
A. HARRIS 1 19 19.0 19 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. BIGHILL 7 1 0 0
S. ELIMIMIAN 7 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 4 0 1 0
R. YELL 4 0 0 0
C. PARKS 3 0 0 1
K. SMITH 2 1 0 0
D. MARSH 2 0 0 0
D. MENARD 2 0 0 0
A. LAROSE 1 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 1 0 0 0
E. TAYLOR 1 0 0 0
J. WESTERMAN 1 0 0 0
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
D. DURANT 15/34 191 1 1

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
T. SMITH 7 82 1 37
R. SMITH 3 42 0 25
R. BAGG 3 39 0 19
A. ALLEN 1 15 0 15
E. RILEY 1 13 0 13

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
H. CHARLES 13 86 0 23
A. ALLEN 3 7 0 6
D. DURANT 2 14 0 9
T. SUNSERI 1 2 0 2

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
H. CHARLES 1 1 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
C. MILO 2/2 18 1/1 7

Punting NO AVG NET LG
J. BARTEL 8 43.8 263 49

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
M. GREEN 5 66 13.2 43 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
C. MILO 5 302 66 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
M. GREEN 2 44 22.0 23 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
T. MAZE 7 0 0 0
B. PETERS 5 0 0 0
T. GEORGE 4 1 0 0
D. WALKER 4 0 0 0
R. WILLIAMS 4 0 0 0
R. FOLEY 4 0 0 0
T. GUYTON 4 0 0 0
J. CHICK 3 1 0 0
S. HURL 3 0 0 0
T. JACKSON 2 0 0 0
V. HARRIS 2 0 0 0
T. BLACK 2 0 0 0
X. FULTON 1 0 0 0
T. BRACKENRIDGE 1 0 0 0
H. CHARLES 1 0 0 0
W. BROWN 1 0 0 0

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

:thup: Harris over 200 yards from scrimmage.
:thup: Glenn no turnovers.
This game was a character test. The players and coaches responded. I'll have more to say when I get to watch the video. I'm looking forward to this one.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote::thup: Harris over 200 yards from scrimmage.
This game was a character test. The players and coaches responded. I'll have more to say when I get to watch the video. I'm looking forward to this one.
Very intense game. Regina atmosphere all the way. Fun to watch.

Harris was amazing. Good prep vs the pass rush. Good prep for the run game. Good prep on defence. Durant was never comfortable. Hard hitting game.

We showed up. We played hard. We got the win. Harris was the preeminent star of the game.

prj
Starter

Kudos to the voices on this website who called for the winning gameplan: Run it, RUN IT, and RUN IT again. And when you pass, get it out fast! Nice job Lionbackers!

AHarris is a treasure!

The D is very, very effective.

Nice win, Lions!
swervynmerv
Legend

Much better by the Lions tonight:

1. Great game by Andew Harris tonight.
2. For the most part, the offensive line was much better. Cave is still a weak link on that left side.
3. Defence played great. Nice and aggressive, didn't give up a lot.

Things that we need to improve on still:

1. Need to get an explosive deep threat to stretch the field. The majority of Glenn's throws were 5-10 yard variety.
2. Penalties, especially on Special Teams. Arakgi is a vet and took two penalties tonight, that will kill you.
3. Offensive line is a work in progress. Cave is stop gap but he is not the answer on the left side.

Here's hoping that we can climb to .500 next week!
joewillie63
Rookie

Huge win in Regina.Tough barn to win in.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Saw this on the Riders' board. Sums up the mood on the green side pretty well.
A game full of Rider stupidity:

- Wheldon Brown's whiff on Andrew Harris TD run. Learn to tackle if you play defense in pro football.
- T Brack taking senseless taunting penalty on what would otherwise be 2 and out. Dumber than Dumb and Dumber.
- Hugh Charles fumble before half time resulting in a BC FG. Just kneel it out next time.
- 3rd Quarter offence. Impotent like a piece of rope.
- Eron Riley. Yikes. A pro receiver can't drop that and expect to have a job.
- Punt it away on 3rd down with less than 2 minutes left? Wowzers coaches.
- Baffling coaching. What has benching Allen and now Hugh Charles accomplished?

Riders lose at home to 0-2 Lions. This should be a pretty big wakeup call.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

A big shoutout to Lionbacker 'the Pauser' who I spotted in the small sea of orange (pond of orange?) that made up this Operation Orange that cheered the Lions onto victory. Maybe other Lionbackers were also in attendance @ Mosaic but it was nice to see some orange in the sea of green...... :beer:

I was wondering about Harris. Now I know the Oline deserves some of the kudos too as does Harris himself. He just looked like a man possessed on some of those plays. I don't want to be a Rider in the film room breaking down the aftermath of Harris.

Glenn? Not outstanding but certainly more than good enough. Not INTs/Fumbles and slow steady work. Had quite a few balls dropped too. IMO, Durant had a decent game too. Fought off a few SHOULDABEEN sacks and had at least TWO big balls dropped (one TD confirmed by replay and the drop where the reciever was TOO WIDE OPEN to make the catch). Not saying the Riders deserved to win but those balls get caught, its a different game. Then again, Glenn's balls get caught its a different game too....

Bighill? Amazing. SOlE was also fun to watch. The D just seemed to ground the Riders to stagnation in the second half.

I'm certainly hoping the Lions will BUILD upon, instead of relaxing upon an effort like this. Big WIN on the road. The same kinda win, IMO, that the Eskimos got when they earned their victory here in week one....
swervynmerv
Legend

sj-roc wrote:Saw this on the Riders' board. Sums up the mood on the green side pretty well.
A game full of Rider stupidity:

- Wheldon Brown's whiff on Andrew Harris TD run. Learn to tackle if you play defense in pro football.
- T Brack taking senseless taunting penalty on what would otherwise be 2 and out. Dumber than Dumb and Dumber.
- Hugh Charles fumble before half time resulting in a BC FG. Just kneel it out next time.
- 3rd Quarter offence. Impotent like a piece of rope.
- Eron Riley. Yikes. A pro receiver can't drop that and expect to have a job.
- Punt it away on 3rd down with less than 2 minutes left? Wowzers coaches.
- Baffling coaching. What has benching Allen and now Hugh Charles accomplished?

Riders lose at home to 0-2 Lions. This should be a pretty big wakeup call.
Love it! Nothing better than seeing those smug Rider fans pout!
aklawitter
All Star

looks familiar...
[video][/video]

and did Eric freakin Taylor really force Durant into a wobbly throw-away?
Last edited by aklawitter on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote::thup: Harris over 200 yards from scrimmage.
Very intense game. Regina atmosphere all the way. Fun to watch.

Harris was amazing. Good prep vs the pass rush. Good prep for the run game. Good prep on defence. Durant was never comfortable. Hard hitting game.

We showed up. We played hard. We got the win. Harris was the preeminent star of the game.
Nice to see the Lions actually look prepared for a game, but you could see the Lions didn't let up on the missing ingredient from the first two games....intensity. Someimes you need an opponent to draw that out of you, and the Lions found that opponent in Regina tonight. Too bad that they threw away two games before they found the necessary intensity to win a CFL game.

What I liked about Harris was he didn't stutter waiting for the holes to open up, he ran until contact and then fought for yardage. That is the old Harris we knew, welcome back.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Well, it was a win...and both coordinators finally did what they should have done from day one, and pressure their opposing coordinators, and the deep talent on this team prevailed...Cave in his 2nd game was a lot better, but not great...Fabien really solidified the interior of the line, and suddenly we had a push off the ball...Arceneaux was a huge factor out there, if not with a lot of yards, but with key catches, good blocking and great leadership...Logan was steady, Glenn was better, but still looks rattled (had a few balls dropped on him too)...but the game story was ANDREW HARRIS...now that's a football player...he clearly put it upon himself to help the Lions win this game, and his performance tonight was one of the best I have seen from a CFL running back in a long time (Domestic or International)...they guy was a beast...good in pass protection, returned the ball very well, caught the ball very well, and helped out his QB a ton (the receivers could learn a thing or two from Harris) and of course ran the ball like a man possessed...Harris is becoming a superstar in the league, and imagine only 6 months ago he was not being shown any love by this organization...VERY GOOD for Andrew!

Defensively, much more pressure dialled up by Washington to keep Durant on his toes...but the key was both DEs keeping Durant in the pocket and making him throw to that pathetic group of receivers...also, a much more aggressive called game by Washington for the LBs...we have the best foursome in the CFL, and they just stood in no man's land last week...this week they were let loose, and were making plays all over the field, including in the Rider's backfield...much, much better performance by our secondary, but its amazing what a little QB pressure will do to a man's cover skills...as I have said before, with the talent on this defence we should never have been 0-2...finally they got some help from the coaches, the offence and the S Ts and turned in a great performance...however, LaRose is STILL AWFUL and his lack of ability is going to hurt this team down the road if he is not replaced.

But what I really wanted to comment on was Benevedies...clearly, Wally shook him up this week, perhaps even hinting that his job could be on the line because MB was a PSYCHO out there from the opening whistle, and this is NOT a good thing. He put away his lovey-dovey relationship with the players (obviously Wally said something), but his NON STOP screaming at the refs, at the players, but most importantly as his ASST COACHES is unacceptable...GREAT COACHES DON'T CREATE A GAME PLAN ON THE SIDELINES or instruct players on the specifics of the game...great coaches have their teams PREPARED to play...during the 3rd Quarter with us ahead by 3, Glenn threw a deep ball with single coverage on the outside to avoid the blitz, which fell incomplete and forced us to kick a FG...not a bad play at all, as we can't simply continue to throw 3 yard passes all game...plus it avoided a sack which might have put us into long FG range (like we had done to start the 2nd half)...but MB just exploded on Khari Jones (for about the 4th time that I saw) and finally Jones said something back in his defence...the announcers picked up on it right away, but we made the FG and SSK continued to self destruct so it got lost on the broadcast. But Suitor pointed out at least 3 times odd things or decisions happening on the BC sidelines...and how about Dorazio getting in Benny's ear late in the game and getting the HC to go for it on 3rd and 4 with 4 minutes to go and up by 13...a single puts us up by 2 converted TD...and MAKEABLE FG puts us up by THREE SCORES and ends the game...but instead of letting McCallum make the kick, we go for it, lose yards and barely use any time on the clock (which stops on a change of possession), and gave SSK a chance that they should NOT have had to come back with 2 TDs...which was do able.

Yes we won...yes MB got the message from Wally "win or else" but he acted like a spoiled child on the sidelines all night, instead of a composed HC...is it any wonder we took a million penalties for a billion yards??? Players will reflect the demeanour of their coach...if we had not played a team who gave a horrible effort, its debatable if we win this week...besides Harris offensively, we weren't that good...our S Ts and Harris did all the damage along with a great defensive effort...but if the SSK receiver makes an EASY catch deep, straight down the field (no safety) in the 4th quarter, this could have EASILY been a different game...if SSK did not THREE times give us possession back of the football on 3rd down with stupid penalties, again we may not have won. So, before we all go on about how we have righted the ship, we haven't. We got good game plans from both coordinators (where were they for the past 2 weeks???) and our talented players played hard, but too many penalties, too many mistakes, and too much mania on our sidelines for my liking...against a good team, we still would have lost that game...I like our talent level, especially as our OLine gets healthy, but I am NOT SOLD on our coaching, especially our HC who acted like a fool out there tonight!

Again Congrats to Andrew Harris who willed us to win that game!!! Big Time Player!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein