Lions 26 @ Riders 13 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:For the record.....I'm not impressed with his yelling at refs, waving his arms, running down the sidelines, etc.......and I don't think his players are impressed either. A couple things I noticed last game.....1) Cord Parks got in HIS face when Benevides confronted him about the blocking penalty....a glaring show of disrespect. 2) After taking the no yards penalty late in the game Jason Arakgi was confronted by Benevides while coming back to the bench.......and he walked right by Benevides like he wasn't there....not good. Most likely, the pressure of the 0-2 start was taking it's toll on MB.....and after all the ST penalties early in the game he probably chewed them out at half time....sadly, with no effect, as the penalties continued and that enraged MB. He is perilously close to losing his dressing room.....hopefully, Buono steps in NOW to calm him down and all parties meet to clear the air......otherwise, this could get REAL ugly soon.
First we had an Offensive Coordinator twirling his fingers and making all sorts of hand gestures on the sidelines. Now we have the guy in charge running up and down the sidelines yelling at players and officials and acting like a young kid. That type of behaviour wears thin with the players and they tune him out.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Sorry, I don't think anyone is too keen on Benny's constant gesticulating, strutting, showboating, and theatrics, but it's a massive assumption from our living room chair to suggest he's losing the room, or that Parks got in his grill (could have just been arguing his side about the absurd call?) or that Aragki sauntered right past him. Especially when none of us were on that sideline or in the locker room.

My :2cents:

DH :cool:
Have you ever seen anyone do that to Buono? Hufnagel? Austin? Trestman?.....coaches that earn/demand respect usually get it.
Lloyd
David
Team Captain

err....yea I have. Geroy Simon scored a TD in Regina a few years ago, made his way to the sideline, and made a very clear and direct comment to Wally (the family Rated G version is "I told you so").

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

David wrote:err....yea I have. Geroy Simon scored a TD in Regina a few years ago, made his way to the sideline, and made a very clear and direct comment to Wally (the family Rated G version is "I told you so").

I remember that....I believe it was "just throw me the effing ball".....but I also remember that he did it from a safe distance.....lol.

Parks walked straight up to MB with his arms extended to the sides and definitely "invaded his personal space"......yes, the call was BS....but you don't disrespect your coach in that fashion.
Lloyd
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I agree with Lloyd 100%...there are lots of signs that MB is losing control of not only his team, but himself. Great Head Coaches TEACH and PLAN during the week, and then OBSERVE during the game and take notes (mental or physical)...its clear MB is NOT doing any of these things. If you are having to "direct traffic" as a head coach during the game, its already too late. And if he is not calmly observing how both his players AND coaching are acting while under pressure, then how are they EVER going to improve? The HC is that one person during the week that calls a lot of one on one meetings to discuss SPECIFIC issues from the game, so that they either don't happen again, or improve.

Look at Hufnagel in CGY or Bellichick in NE...Prepare, prepare, prepare, and then prepare some more.

Tom Landry wrote the book on this...Landry talked about how it was during the week that he got his Assistants prepared to be Head Coaches in the future...that isn't happening here...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Parks was just pretending MB was the Sask player to show MB what he did on the play. There was no arguing between the two of them. There was no getting in each others faces.
But ya I feel like MB needs to show more poise on the sideline. A HC should have more control on the sidelines and the faith that he has in his gameplan should trump any emotions (positive or negative) he feels at any given time, bringing him to a stable state of mind. IMO

As for the Geroy sidenote:

"There's a reason I was the effing MVP last year!"

-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:For the record.....I'm not impressed with his yelling at refs, waving his arms, running down the sidelines, etc.......and I don't think his players are impressed either. A couple things I noticed last game.....1) Cord Parks got in HIS face when Benevides confronted him about the blocking penalty....a glaring show of disrespect. 2) After taking the no yards penalty late in the game Jason Arakgi was confronted by Benevides while coming back to the bench.......and he walked right by Benevides like he wasn't there....not good. Most likely, the pressure of the 0-2 start was taking it's toll on MB.....and after all the ST penalties early in the game he probably chewed them out at half time....sadly, with no effect, as the penalties continued and that enraged MB. He is perilously close to losing his dressing room.....hopefully, Buono steps in NOW to calm him down and all parties meet to clear the air......otherwise, this could get REAL ugly soon.
Interesting take on the Parks and Arakgi discussions, but I do think that Parks had a legit beef with the call. Beny has to get their attention quickly and I would place Arakgi's walk by more a show of knowing what he did, and he knows better. With that said, Arakgi seems to be a favourite of the refs for taking a penalty, not a good place when a team is struggling.
This is the exact reason why Head Coaches do NOT take players or coaches to task during football games...you can suggest adjustments at halftime, but your coaching comes through TEACHING during the week...PREPARE, Prepare, Prepare, and then prepare some more...

What HC's are literally taught to create are lists of possible mistakes...you then check off your list during the break down of the game film, and THEN discuss things calmly with the player or coach. This is all about TEACHING...and screaming, yelling and assuming aren't part of the process.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

No one here has yet to call for Benevides firing. OTOH has there ever been an issue like Benevides lack of sideline composure that has caused this forum to so unanimously agree to having Benevides change his behaviour?
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:No one here has yet to call for Benevides firing. OTOH has there ever been an issue like Benevides lack of sideline composure that has caused this forum to so unanimously agree to having Benevides change his behaviour?
No one would even bother to call for Benevedes firing. Who would Wally replace him with? Wally would not go anywhere, but inside, with a sycophant. Washington is in his first season as a coordinator. Bates is only an assistant. Dorazio, even when he was a co-coordinator or coordinator in name for one season was not comfortable calling plays.

But the whole Benevedes act, from the type of comments he makes, to the poses on the sidelines, his demeanor, his drama, his chest bumping and laying on skin, his pre-game speeches, his drama on the sidelines, his incessant yapping at refs, etc. strike me as a very immature pee wee football coach.

Wally will get a sense of fan unhappiness and begin to lay down some guidelines. The chest bumps were gone last game. I expect a calmer persona on the sidelines this week. Wally has ears for the fans. The gate is important to him, as it needs to be. Benevedes clown sideline act will eventually get changed. The outside persona will get improved. However, rather than just changing his public football coaching image, I hope he grows up. Harris said Benevedes is just like one of the players. Benevedes is not a player. He is a Head Football Coach of a professional football team. Right now he isn't behaving like one.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: Wally will get a sense of fan unhappiness and begin to lay down some guidelines. The chest bumps were gone last game.
He was probably too preoccupied with yelling at the officials.